Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I feel like Allison isn't going to lose her poo poo over this not because she doesn't care etc but because like she said before becoming aspected chaos, "all we can do is keep moving forward" which as a character moment doesn't get nearly enough credit.

The Lesson that Zoss tried to impart about how a single person can't do it all even if they become supreme might end up being Allison realising she doesn't need to lose her poo poo and become superpowered over this because Maya's dealing with it and it's better to become someone who has Maya on their side than to go AAAAAAARGH yourself.

E: mixed up Maya and Meti's names.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bussamove posted:

All arcs are complete. Now we watch nebulously-defined important men fight apparently.

I think aside from incubus the men blew up

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
honestly i feel like incubus is 100% correct about how he assesses power and its relations. like he's an absolute fucker but allison never, ever should have started on this path if she wasn't going to be able to complete subsume herself into violence. incubus has one single desire that he has dedicated himself to: no matter what happens, he's going to survive.

if you decide to solve your problems with swords, this is always how poo poo is going to end. meti's most important lesson is that solving your problem with swords is the dumbest loving thing you could ever do, and no one ever learns that lesson. Hell, meti herself didn't learn it!

catgirlgenius posted:

Cio's goal was always to become the sort of person who would get offed like this.

actually, cio's goal was to completely be done with this sort of lifestyle because she actually understood bathing in violence and suffering really loving sucks unless you are an absolute fucker. and she got pulled back into it because she cared about allison, who thought that violence was tolerable. this death completely vindicates cio's entire arc, and I hope that it sticks for that reason.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

MikeJF posted:

The Lesson that Zoss tried to impart about how a single person can't do it all even if they become supreme might end up being Allison realising she doesn't need to lose her poo poo and become superpowered over this because Meti's dealing with it and it's better to become someone who has Meti on their side than to go AAAAAAARGH yourself.

Maya, not Meti

Meti was Maya and Incubus' teacher.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think aside from incubus the men blew up

Look I don’t make the rules, the person with hilariously bad takes on the comic does.

Now wheel in the next batch of important men.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bussamove posted:

Look I don’t make the rules, the person with hilariously bad takes on the comic does.

Now wheel in the next batch of important men.

Hallelujah it's raining important men

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i just hope nyave gets treatment for that head wound promptly :ohdear:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

i just hope nyave gets treatment for that head wound promptly :ohdear:

VG for sure knows at least basic first aid, she’ll be fine.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
when I think of the web comic kill six billion demons all the male characters are the first thing I think of

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Rhaka posted:

So basically, Jags' massive super attack only confirmed kill is a single large horse. An old one.

It killed a lot of people on the surface of Dave's planet. Jadis is also extremely ghost-like so maybe the attack shattered her and her prison, but Jadis pulled a Zoss and just didn't care that she died.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Those aren't confirmed kills though. Gotta be in panel.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Genre conventions indicate she probably isn't but I hope the ice lady is nice. Looking at the wheel did a lot to chill out Aesma, if nothing else

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bussamove posted:

Nyave is also the fantasy foreign world equivalent of an MD./Ph.D so she can probably take care of herself, as long as she can give someone instructions

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So back on the subject of violence, I just noticed that Cio jumped right to it there no hesitation.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

All the Important Men are incredibly unhappy and impotent despite their power

Talk about missing the point lmao

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

honestly i feel like incubus is 100% correct about how he assesses power and its relations. like he's an absolute fucker but allison never, ever should have started on this path if she wasn't going to be able to complete subsume herself into violence. incubus has one single desire that he has dedicated himself to: no matter what happens, he's going to survive.

if you decide to solve your problems with swords, this is always how poo poo is going to end. meti's most important lesson is that solving your problem with swords is the dumbest loving thing you could ever do, and no one ever learns that lesson. Hell, meti herself didn't learn it!

actually, cio's goal was to completely be done with this sort of lifestyle because she actually understood bathing in violence and suffering really loving sucks unless you are an absolute fucker. and she got pulled back into it because she cared about allison, who thought that violence was tolerable. this death completely vindicates cio's entire arc, and I hope that it sticks for that reason.

Incubus is just wrong in the text. White chain beat sol Dave where Allison probably couldn’t have. Certainly cio, white chain, and Allison were able to do more together than they could have alone by trusting each other. His pathetic little power level rant is justifying a fight he can’t win because if he admits that he can’t win he has nothing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So back on the subject of violence, I just noticed that Cio jumped right to it there no hesitation.

If you want the mouse to live...

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Rhaka posted:

So basically, Jags' massive super attack only confirmed kill is a single large horse. An old one.

You know, flipping back to that page, I think it actually works if you just ignore the expository text entirely. "Be they man or immortal, all will be cut and slain instantly" is a manifestly untrue statement even on that page itself, and it only gets less true over the following pages. But the art itself doesn't have that implication, it just shows this devastatingly powerful attack, which leaves room for people to get their dramatic final scenes in.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Still laughing at Garbageboy Stinkman getting all indignant about being called gutter trash then immediately flipping around and calling Allison trash.

His entire MO is pulling others down so he looks better and this entire speech has been him basically negging Allison so she'll give him the key.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

Maya, not Meti

Meti was Maya and Incubus' teacher.

Yeah, I had a brainfart.

Bussamove posted:

If we end up seeing the start of the War for Rayuba in the comic my guess is we'll see VG, Nyave and Zaid hook up with White Chain at the temple when the comic resumes.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 20, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

akulanization posted:

Incubus is just wrong in the text. White chain beat sol Dave where Allison probably couldn’t have. Certainly cio, white chain, and Allison were able to do more together than they could have alone by trusting each other. His pathetic little power level rant is justifying a fight he can’t win because if he admits that he can’t win he has nothing.

disagree, i think the text endorses incubus's position in an extremely basic way: if you want to be the lord of violence, incubus's single minded focus is the ideal path to follow. however the text also says that being the lord of violence sucks unfathomable amounts of balls, so why the gently caress would you want to do that in the first place (though to be fair incubus himself has had plenty of experience merely being at the mercy of violence, so even though he's dead wrong its kind of hard to argue against the conclusion his life has brought him to)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
basically i see incubus as a rather pointed criticism about the romanticization of heroic violence. there isnt a mastery of technique that turns it into artful brilliance, there's no one weird trick this time to dispense violence in a just and morally good way. no matter what, it all begins with and ends with starving people desperately scrabbling for even one morsel to eat.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 20, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

holy poo poo lol

This is amazing. I'm sure we'll see Cio again, her girlfriend has the powers of all creation even if she doesn't yet know how it works. Maya's back doing exactly what I hoped she'd do. And Jadis is creepier than I could have possibly imagined, absolutely perfect

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, at least we know what the part everyone hates is!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Please remind me, what happens when a devil dies in this universe?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

You know, flipping back to that page, I think it actually works if you just ignore the expository text entirely. "Be they man or immortal, all will be cut and slain instantly" is a manifestly untrue statement even on that page itself, and it only gets less true over the following pages. But the art itself doesn't have that implication, it just shows this devastatingly powerful attack, which leaves room for people to get their dramatic final scenes in.

are you saying someone would do that? exist in k6bd's universe and tell lies?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Hey, it's not like the comic has an example of a living, unmasked deevil that plays entirely outside the rules of reality everyone else is governed by, and who was last in the comic saying things like "Only -- remember ME when the throne is offered to you, Allison. Spare a thought for the poor Devil." right before discussing how Cio will die, and whose plotline hasn't resolved in any way yet.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Wasn't pre entombed Jadis the strongest... Wonder how she is post entombmebt now

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Twibbit posted:

Wasn't pre entombed Jadis the strongest... Wonder how she is post entombmebt now

Stiff.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That smile has me leaning towards the previous "jadis's 'foresight' was previous turns of the wheel and she didn't foresee this with Allison" theories.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Speaking of Incubus, does anybody have a source for where Abbadon/Operant first described him as a "Curdled Hero", or undergoing a "Curdled Hero's Journey"?

I've been looking around and I can't actually seem to find any mention of it whatsoever outside this thread, starting in 2019.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Please remind me, what happens when a devil dies in this universe?

I think all we know is that they return to the Black Flame and lose any sense of individuality since that's all tied up in the mask. As seen with Yabalchoath -> Cio, resealing Black Flame into a repaired mask returns a devil to life, but not as the same person entirely.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I want to see Cio's mask repaired with gold, Kintsugi style

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

That smile has me leaning towards the previous "jadis's 'foresight' was previous turns of the wheel and she didn't foresee this with Allison" theories.

that or she’s going “hooray, it’s this part”

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Maybe she just immediately regretted cubing herself and is chuffed to be out of her eternal prison.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Hellbore posted:

I think all we know is that they return to the Black Flame and lose any sense of individuality since that's all tied up in the mask. As seen with Yabalchoath -> Cio, resealing Black Flame into a repaired mask returns a devil to life, but not as the same person entirely.

Yeah, I think the basic idea that on some level each Devil is the Black Flame itself pretending to be/fooling itself into being a distinct individual, a bit like how Yisun's creative process is based on the lie of division. The mask is a device invented by hu;mans to facilitate this process. Himself is a special case because his ego is strong enough that he can just will his own existence into being while remaining connected to the Black Flame.

When a Devil is killed but then is summoned back through the same mask, it's the same personality but not really the same "soul" - something like a science fiction scenario where a teleporter creates an exact copy of you.

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 20, 2021

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Genre conventions indicate she probably isn't but I hope the ice lady is nice. Looking at the wheel did a lot to chill out Aesma, if nothing else

Feel like much more important than "genre conventions" is "everything the author has said about the demiurges ever"

She's not going to be very nice

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wow, Incubus trying to take the key and Maya stepping in to protect her is exactly what I expected to happen at some point soon and if I wanted any credit for my foresight I should have called it with every once of my might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Like most of the demiurges Jadis will be perfectly nice until something doesn’t fit her strict interpretation of how things are/should be at which point the mask will fall away and we’ll see the sort of person that manages to carve out a bloody seventh of creation as their personal playground.

See also: The recent Incubus/Allison interactions compared to him trying to groom her to (poorly) rule earlier in the comic.