Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

RoboRodent posted:

Caves of Steel, and the other Robot novels, are great, I love them.

But yeah, not all of it has aged perfectly. Lol.

The best thing about caves of steel was how in this far-flung future year, men were silent in the communal bathrooms and women were all chatty and gossipy. Oh, Asimov. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extremely unrealisitc because we all know what men do in a communal bathroom

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sighence posted:

Park life?

Park death, surely

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Brawnfire posted:

The best thing about caves of steel was how in this far-flung future year, men were silent in the communal bathrooms and women were all chatty and gossipy. Oh, Asimov. :allears:

Asimov is one of my personal heroes but he had a problem keeping his hands to himself as well. :/

i don't remember the timeline exactly, but he did eventually marry a feminist, and i think (hope) that helped him improve how he thought about women.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Carbon dioxide posted:

At the very least post a graph. This is the graph thread you know.

plus or minus half a child

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

For the price of one coffee a day, you can save a child (plus or minus half a child).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/_kueller/status/1460359163838664707

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Where's the ring

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Brawnfire posted:

Complete digression: A little while ago I read this one short story, "The Star-Stealers" by Edmond Hamilton, from 19 goddamn 29. Like, before anyone had even figured out that stars are powered by nuclear fusion. Considered foundational to the space opera genre, it's set like a hundred thousand years in the future and follows a human-crewed starship that encounters an alien menace from outside our galaxy. Impressively, one of the named characters is a young female officer, and she's exactly as competent and brave as the men, equally effective at fighting extragalactic tentacle monsters. The author doesn't even waste any space on describing her appearance as far as I remember. (Characterization is typically paper-thin anyway, nobody is developed beyond "young officer" or "distinguished academic" etc.) But then. At the end. Once the menace is defeated and the surviving heroes get to go home for some shore leave. The author remarks that her first plan is to head straight for a beauty parlor, as is ever the unchanging way of the female sex. I died laughing and am posting from the afterlife.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

From history of French acronyms, should this be TRAB?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

It’s that time again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'd like to see stats for 2015-2020.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Paladinus posted:

I'd like to see stats for 2015-2020.

:thunk:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

So in its July 1997 issue, WIRED's centrepiece article was about the possibility of a "long boom" and how it was in fact quite likely that the world would experience unseen levels of prosperity and peace in the years to come. You can read the whole thing here but be warned, it's just page after page of weapons-grade 1990s neoliberal wankery about how globalisation, market privatisation and big tech would bring about a new US-led utopia in no time.

You still should read it though because it is ridiculously, utterly wrong in just about everything it predicts, it's hilarious. The article was accompanied by a timeline of the possible future they were talking about (which isn't part of the online version) which I want to show you:

Tag yourselves, I'm "American deep into making the multicultural society work" exactly during the Trump years. I also "like" that even in their perfect utopia five million black Africans need to die for no reason at all.

The article also had a side bar with ten possible "scenario spoilers" that might throw a wrench into this nice future of theirs. Check it out, it's a doozy:

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Nov 19, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

loving nostradamus writing the sidebar lmao.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if someone who actually was paying attention to politics and the world wrote the sidebar first, and their editor came back "no this is the end of history, you have to be more positive" so they had to write the whole BS chart and sneak in their actual predictions as a "well this is something that also could happen"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

System Metternich posted:

The article also had a side bar with ten possible "scenario spoilers" that might throw a wrench into this nice future of theirs. Check it out, it's a doozy:

Oof. :smith: Imagine going back in time and telling this author that nine out of ten of his worst case scenarios either came completely true or came partway true.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, we were talking about it in yospos and the only one that we can unequivocally say did not happen is the toxic waste super cancer scenario. Everything else, especially 2, 5, 6 and 10, is completely spot on.

(For 2 we're going with the interpretation that the productivity boost and economic gains did happen, but they didn't lead to any improvement in society because 10 billionaires stole everything)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

So in its July 1997 issue, WIRED's centrepiece article was about the possibility of a "long boom" and how it was in fact quite likely that the world would experience unseen levels of prosperity and peace in the years to come. You can read the whole thing here but be warned, it's just page after page of weapons-grade 1990s neoliberal wankery about how globalisation, market privatisation and big tech would bring about a new US-led utopia in no time.

You still should read it though because it is ridiculously, utterly wrong in just about everything it predicts, it's hilarious. The article was accompanied by a timeline of the possible future they were talking about (which isn't part of the online version) which I want to show you:

Tag yourselves, I'm "American deep into making the multicultural society work" exactly during the Trump years. I also "like" that even in their perfect utopia five million black Africans need to die for no reason at all.

I'm "Immigrants drive revival of the family." Except my rear end which is "Italian nation state becomes first in Europe to dissolve." By dissolve does it mean subsuming into EU-as-nation-state?? How can that happen with just one nation?

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Nov 19, 2021

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
8 was pretty spot on as well, oil was around $20 a barrel when that was written and has since been up to $170 a barrel. Nuclear fusion is exactly as far away as it was then, and government and corporate cartels have done their best to ensure that wind and solar don't get a look-in on any major scale. Texas is going to be paying for the "surge pricing" for the February snowstorms for the next 20 years, and it's probably going to happen again and again.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, we were talking about it in yospos and the only one that we can unequivocally say did not happen is the toxic waste super cancer scenario. Everything else, especially 2, 5, 6 and 10, is completely spot on.

(For 2 we're going with the interpretation that the productivity boost and economic gains did happen, but they didn't lead to any improvement in society because 10 billionaires stole everything)

They're calling out 200 million deaths for their super plague. Officially we're at about 5.5 million, and while that's an undercount, it's not off by a factor of 40.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I guess be on the lookout for that toxic waste supercancer, huh.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Memento posted:

Nuclear fusion is exactly as far away as it was then,
We've actually made some pretty good advances on this front in the past few years and there are a lot more companies working on it now. There's some cause to be hopeful, though we'll see.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hahaha Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Scarodactyl posted:

We've actually made some pretty good advances on this front in the past few years and there are a lot more companies working on it now. There's some cause to be hopeful, though we'll see.

Yeah, scientists have reached ignition (the phase where the rate of nuclear fusion greatly increases) and there's a lot of evidence that multiple avenues are gaining traction (and providing data to each other to make predictions). ITER, NIF, and a few other experiments are getting to 70% of the energy input for confinement (doesn't include auxiliary power requirements like cryocooling or facility operations) and getting closer to break even quite quickly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"I hope I get to write an important, meaningful article someday" *finger curls on monkey's paw*

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

All hail sidebar, prophet of the future.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The nice thing about fusion is you know it has to be possible cos the sun is doing it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

OwlFancier posted:

The nice thing about fusion is you know it has to be possible cos the sun is doing it.

If only we could be so grossly incandescent...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Top 10 things The Simpsons predicted.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Phy posted:

So I guess be on the lookout for that toxic waste supercancer, huh.

It's lead poisoning and the cancer is an entire generation.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Outrail posted:

It's lead poisoning and the cancer is an entire generation.

microplastics

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If my arm ain't splortching out into a hideous purulent mass as I watch like I'm fuckin Tetsuo from Akira I'm not gonna call it supercancer

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

redleader posted:

microplastics

It's the lead poisoning for the new generation.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OwlFancier posted:

The Sun cheats though by compressing plasma via gravity, so fusion can happen at lower temperatures. Here on piddly little 1-G Earth we have to apply insane amounts of heat to get the atomic nuclei to whiz around fast enough to bang into each other.

Plus we have to worry about containment if we want to do anything long-term useful with fusion, whereas "perpetual thermonuclear explosion" is basically what a star is when you get down to fundamentals.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This page is a bummer

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Let's move to the Sun. Elon Musk can lead the way.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Picnic Princess posted:

This page is a bummer
maybe this will help
https://twitter.com/PossumEveryHour/status/1461982662353108995
look at this adorable possum

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, getting energy from fusion is a solved problem, it's called a hydrogen bomb. The hard part is getting it under control so I can mint NFTs from it or whatever. The sun don't care about control, it's literally a giant exploding fireball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Kinda impressive that the only accurate predictions in the positive side of that article are the rise of e-commerce and the rise of telecommunications (including video calling). This is what might have been if Al Gore had won in 2000... lots of 'economic restructuring', and hybrid cars.