Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Sundown Forum
Nov 12, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the need for live, animated, real-time updates on something that literally moves at a glacial pace show a weakness of the human mind that has doomed this planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

munce posted:

Long term C02, temp, sea level. The red oval highlights the most recent increases in CO2. See the correlations and guess what the expected outcome is.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/1-Global-mean-sea-level-temperature-and-CO2-concentrations-showing-several_fig7_330502155

Projected warming scenarios were covered in a previous post. Note that none of them include feedbacks in the modelling.

Climate Dashboards
https://climate.metoffice.cloud/dashboard.html
https://www.climatelevels.org/?pid=2degreesinstitute&theme=grid-light
https://gml.noaa.gov/ccgg/trends/graph.html

"Planetary Dashboard". There's a lot more to the world than CO2/climate.
http://www.igbp.net/images/18.950c2fa1495db7081eba4/1421318144335/great_accel-12graph-SE.png
http://www.igbp.net/images/18.950c2fa1495db7081eba2/1421318143401/great_accel-12graph-ES.png

Sea ice
https://twitter.com/zlabe

lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Number must go up

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

poo poo, we really need Jesus to come back or for aliens to reveal themselves or a thermonuclear war or some poo poo, poo poo can't go on like this!

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Global sand shortage solved by catastrophic flooding depositing the mountains into the sea.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Gas rationing has gone into effect in BC - not more than 30L/per person

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Egg Moron posted:

poo poo, we really need Jesus to come back or for aliens to reveal themselves or a thermonuclear war or some poo poo, poo poo can't go on like this!

I do wonder how different religions will react to, well, what's essentially an apocalypse.

Evangelical Christians will keep falling deeper into the Q-Anon hole, of course. What about Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, New Age folks...?

I assume all roads lead to 'more fascism'.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

wynott dunn posted:

Gas rationing has gone into effect in BC - not more than 30L/per person

Thanks to Rime for helping me tip off my loved ones several days ago to fill their gas tank.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sundown Forum posted:

the need for live, animated, real-time updates on something that literally moves at a glacial pace show a weakness of the human mind that has doomed this planet

the earth is basically doing a century long comedic double take at our extremely abrupt carbon gas emission spike and we are stuck in the middle unable to conceive of something that takes so long to play out

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Chamale posted:

Thanks to Rime for helping me tip off my loved ones several days ago to fill their gas tank.

A friend I warned told me “Right, the pipeline at one point in our lifetime didn’t exist so I suspect Vancouver will be fine”

lol, lmao bihtc

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bowser posted:

Can't wait to protest side-by-side with these nuts against stratospheric aerosol injection when world leaders say it's the best way to slow down warming without hurting the almighty Number.

https://twitter.com/harpersbazaarus/status/1460958025888546822?s=20

That's it, that's how the article ends. Do you hear the sound of cracking and pinging? It seems to be getting louder.

I bet her kitchen is urban farmhouse and she thinks it's unique and kitschy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

wynott dunn posted:

A friend I warned told me “Right, the pipeline at one point in our lifetime didn’t exist so I suspect Vancouver will be fine”

lol, lmao bihtc

Do not, my friends, become addicted to water. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Chamale posted:

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

l o l l m a o

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

petit choux posted:

Looks like I chose the wrong decade to quit smoking weed

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Being a little further south than the main poo poo show, I feel like I've seen my death from the future. I think I'm at peace with it. Freezing to death is nowhere near the worst hell! :waycool:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

unless this is a Donner Party scenario :ohdear:

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

somehow I’ve regressed to despair

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

take_it_slow posted:

You probably figured this out, but it's 'grundfos', not 'gruñidos'.

I posted a bit in the older thread:

To summarize:
  1. Scaled systems – everything is designed to serve 8-12 people; many of these techniques are un-economical for a single family home, and easily provide sufficient power/ amenities for larger groups
  2. Building Design
    1. Minimize surface area by building multiple adjoining bedrooms around a shared living room & utility closet.
    2. Passive solar design
    3. Roof-mounted solar thermal panels to heat water/ the house
      1. ‘Batch collectors’ for direct heating of air and indirect heating of water via propylene glycol (‘PG’)
      2. Air/ PG moved via daylight-drive DC air blower and ‘el sid’ pump, respectively.
      3. Air forced through layer of crushed rock underneath the house, providing radiant heating in the winter.
    4. Thick insulation over pre-existing or purpose-built stick-frame structure (eg., 18 inches of straw bale around all walls and dug 2ft into the ground; finished with ‘stucco-crete’ (containing ‘Type E’ mortar & cement))
  3. Direct Drive/ DC Microgrid
    1. 180-volt solar array directly powers various DC devices
    2. Nominal 180V motors will function in practice at anywhere from 50-250V.
    3. Multiple devices can be run simultaneously, eg., 4000W running simultaneously on a 1400W array, with no damage to the motors
    4. (Similarly, can also run an array at 90V to operate tools/ appliances designed for 110/120V systems)
    5. Both DC brush motors and ‘universal’ (eg., AC/DC) motors run just fine in this way
    6. For refrigeration, we use a Sundanzer solar direct drive refrigerator, with sufficient insulation to remain cool (or frozen; can be operated as fridge/freezer) while only powered during daylight hours.
  4. Errata:
    1. For lighting at night/ small electronics, we have a 100Ah, 12V Nickel-Iron battery array.
    2. Home-made Direct Drive solar ovens (‘Insulated Solar Electric Cooker’), insulated with rock wool and using nichrome wire as a heating element. Based on original designs by Pete Schwartz at Cal Poly
    3. To supplement the solar electric cookers, we have a biogas digester connected to a single burner, and a ‘rocket stove’ for use as needed.
    4. Composting toilets, low-till ag., etc.

I'm happy to expand on any of these topics.

You live on a farm, that practices ecological or maybe even restorative is that right? How many other people?

I'm curious about refrigeration. I went to the Sundanzer website and it looks like they use compressors. I'm interested in compressionless refrigeration (think of ammonia RV refrigerators) driven by solar heat collectors. Have you guys ever discussed that style of refrigeration? Pros/cons compared to solar electricity and compression?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you should absolutely explain every last horrible detail to your friend about the coming armageddon, but at the end add “well there might be a krakatoa-like massive volcanic explosion which might knock off 1-2 Celsius as it coast the world in ash, so it might not be that bad”

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Sacrifice some virgins to wake up the volcano gods

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

that certainly looks sustainable :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

is there a super straightforward, baby level data dashboard?

like I just want to see stuff like live line graphs of GHG emissions and expected temperature rise by 2050.

Goon project spotted. Someone buy https://collapse.lol/

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Trabisnikof posted:

the IPCC reports are also a scale of scientific endeavor we've never done before, the fact its conclusions are as damning as they are in such a short span of time, while going against the ideological grain in fundamental ways, is quite amazing.

and honestly they bury the lede more than they even downplay the reality.

like random tidbids the ipcc reports say buried deep in there:

*there is absolutely no historical comparison to the speed and scale of societal transformation required to ensure our societies survive

*if we fail to transform our society so quickly and completely, our existing is unlikely to survive the stress

*the future of 2050 will be unrecognizable

*One of the most optimistic scenarios possible is that a massive near-turn heat wave kills a bunch of wealthy people and that scares the powerful into actually acting

*Another of the most optimistic scenarios is maybe we hit a 7-7-7 jackpot on volcanoes and delay things for 10-20 years

*Losing Miami in the next 20 years is an example of a believable outcome without that aforementioned complete societal transformation

Can you quote the bits of the report that say/imply this? Not that I doubt it, but I'd have no idea how to go about finding it myself, and I want the primary source so I can go around crack-pinging people with it like someone on a deranged shooting spree

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

is there a super straightforward, baby level data dashboard?

like I just want to see stuff like live line graphs of GHG emissions and expected temperature rise by 2050.

I like this one as a starting point: https://ucsusa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=e4e9082a1ec343c794d27f3e12dd006d

This only deals with the number of days in which heat and humidity are dangerous each year. But I think it paints a more understandable picture than just the raw global heating numbers.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Can you quote the bits of the report that say/imply this? Not that I doubt it, but I'd have no idea how to go about finding it myself, and I want the primary source so I can go around crack-pinging people with it like someone on a deranged shooting spree

I’ll look up the real cites for ya later. The volcano thing is in the most recent AR6 WG1 report, but stated inversely (“since we can’t confirm we won’t get volcano jackpot we can’t say for certain things are going to be super bad”)

The Heat Wave bit is from a section in SR15 where they have non-predictive example scenarios, and since they’re non-predictive they can actually be concrete in their examples. Since obviously there is no proof that said heatwaves will change things.

(Also as much as this thread mocked it, I think the volcano thing is the correct call, it’s something like a 1 in 10 chance we get a 1 in 100 year volcano event in the next 10 years. And a 10% chance of an event changing the outcome is significant enough to change confidence in that outcome. But drat if it’s bleak when you consider that we are crossing our fingers hoping for a mega volcano.)

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 13:44 on Nov 20, 2021

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
It's reassuring that we're about to hit the Praying for a Miracle stage of dealing with the climate crisis

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Good news, we have stopped the unchecked growth in large dams!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

:hmmyes: now show me plastics

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Covid graphs looking interesting

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

please remove that Malthusian slime from our holy thread

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

:hmmyes: now show me plastics

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/global-plastics-production

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Lol omg at the integral since my birth gently caress

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It's probably a good sign that a supervolcano eruption has gone from an apocalyptic scenario to something we're actively hoping happens

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

the IPCC reports are also a scale of scientific endeavor we've never done before, the fact its conclusions are as damning as they are in such a short span of time, while going against the ideological grain in fundamental ways, is quite amazing.

and honestly they bury the lede more than they even downplay the reality.

like random tidbids the ipcc reports say buried deep in there:

*there is absolutely no historical comparison to the speed and scale of societal transformation required to ensure our societies survive

*if we fail to transform our society so quickly and completely, our existing is unlikely to survive the stress

*the future of 2050 will be unrecognizable

*One of the most optimistic scenarios possible is that a massive near-turn heat wave kills a bunch of wealthy people and that scares the powerful into actually acting

*Another of the most optimistic scenarios is maybe we hit a 7-7-7 jackpot on volcanoes and delay things for 10-20 years

*Losing Miami in the next 20 years is an example of a believable outcome without that aforementioned complete societal transformation

Yeah, we blew it.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

Yeah, we blew it.

Cool gonna refinance the house and take more cash out lmao, live while the living is good

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Koirhor posted:

Cool gonna refinance the house and take more cash out lmao, live while the living is good

no no save for your retirement

ED: LOL

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

quote:

For every day that passes, this conclusion receives further confirmation: the ruling classes of this world are constitutionally incapable of responding to the catastrophe in any other way than by expediting it. Unfortunately, COP26 did not produce any compelling reasons to revise that conclusion. Less than a week after the end of the summit, the Biden administration held the largest federal offshore drilling auction in US history.

There is little to suggest that any other government signing the Glasgow Pact will behave differently.

So what do we do?

We could destroy the machines that destroy this planet. If someone has planted a time bomb in your home, you are entitled to dismantle it. More to the point, if someone has placed an incendiary device inside the high-rise building where you live, and if the foundations are already on fire and people are dying in the cellars, then many would believe that you have an obligation to put the device out of action.

This is the moral case which, I would argue, justifies destroying fossil fuel property. That is completely separate from harming human bodies, for which there is no moral case.

And this particular moral case for direct action is, I believe, overwhelmingly strong, if the realities of the climate catastrophe are recognised. On that premise, how could the physical integrity of fossil fuel property possibly be given precedence? Boris Johnson recently made what might generously be interpreted as an attempt to do so, when he defended the Cambo oilfield, one in the endless series of fresh investments in fossil fuel infrastructure of the kind we just can’t live with: “we can’t just tear up contracts”, he said.

In this view, a contract with an entrepreneur for augmenting the device sending the flames ever higher must be honoured. It takes priority over any other concern. Just why it should have that sanctity, however, seems to me exceedingly difficult to tell.

In the meantime, we can observe that slowing down the climate catastrophe means, by definition, the destruction of fossil capital: there can be no more profiting from fossil fuels. And if governments are incapable of initiating this work, because they take their orders from the top floors, then others should do so. Not because activists can accomplish the abolition of fossil fuels – only states have that potential – but because their role is to ratchet up the pressure for it.

So could the climate movement in the global north achieve its goals by sending cadres or crowds to actually tear machines apart? An unassailable ethical imperative does not necessarily translate into efficacious action. We have received this lesson from the highways of the UK, where the main achievement of Insulate Britain has been rising fury from working-class people on the way to their jobs.

We are deep into the catastrophe; the hour is late, but the escalation has only just begun. We don’t know what exactly will work. The one thing we can be certain of is this: we are in a death spiral, we have to break out of it, and we must try something more. The days of gentle protest may be long over.

Something you will never see in a US publication.txt

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

petit choux posted:

no no save for your retirement

ED: LOL

Yeah, I wonder what it's like to work at/for AARP.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I wonder what it's like to work at/for AARP.

It's pretty posh.

ED: or that is, if you work in the Washington office. I'm not sure but I believe they do occupy the entire building and it's pretty comfy from what I've seen.

petit choux has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jel Shaker posted:

you should absolutely explain every last horrible detail to your friend about the coming armageddon, but at the end add “well there might be a krakatoa-like massive volcanic explosion which might knock off 1-2 Celsius as it coast the world in ash, so it might not be that bad”

we are going to do the chalk thing and then it will erupt and we will all freeze to death from too much particles