Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

simply draw the qr code on a piece of paper and scan that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Rutibex posted:

i just looked up where "waters near Ren'ai Jiao" is on google maps.

seriously? gently caress off with that china i thought you were cool

they are not, in fact, cool.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

simply draw the qr code on a piece of paper and scan that

I wonder if those new gimmicky folding phones can scan themselves

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
look, you have claim on one island gives you a claim on the whole province. deal with it thassalocrats :cool:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Rutibex posted:

i just looked up where "waters near Ren'ai Jiao" is on google maps.

seriously? gently caress off with that china i thought you were cool

nationalism is always wrong because nations do not actually exist

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

silentsnack posted:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

silentsnack posted:

nationalism is a myth of origin. at its most simple nationalism is: I am from here. but “here” and “I” are always changing and capitalism is alienating us from ourselves and our origins. so it’s always a broken myth. the romantic reconstruction of the national myth of origin that’s the real fucker incoherent and detached entirely from reality.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Identifying yourself with the rather recent tech of borders is pretty cyberpunk dystopia ngl

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

silentsnack posted:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

withak posted:

All my attempts have been foiled by the speed of light. By the time the camera app is open the mirror is no longer reflecting the image of the QR code.

just move the mirror further from the phone

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

Identifying yourself with the rather recent tech of borders is pretty cyberpunk dystopia ngl

emperor hadrian would like to have a word with you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

hobbesmaster posted:

they claim the island so they get the water around the island

one of the funniest things is when american ham radio operators (read: 70 year old engineering retiree boomers) accept china's invitation to let them operate on Scarborough Reef

here's Scarborough Reef

and here's where it is

by agreeing to operate there under a Chinese call sign, they're strengthening china's claims to that. but they totally hate china amirite

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

just move the mirror further from the phone

I live in a 1BR apartment :-/

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Remember when the USA took the entirety of the Philippines by force and held it until 1946 and retained some military bases for another several decades

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Rutibex posted:

i just looked up where "waters near wake island" is on google maps.

seriously? gently caress off with that USA i thought you were cool

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

one of the funniest things is when american ham radio operators (read: 70 year old engineering retiree boomers) accept china's invitation to let them operate on Scarborough Reef

here's Scarborough Reef

and here's where it is

by agreeing to operate there under a Chinese call sign, they're strengthening china's claims to that. but they totally hate china amirite

I didn't realize they were claiming rocks that small, I thought it was more islets and stuff :lol:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

china claims a hilariously large region as their territorial waters.

malaysia and the philippines obviously take issue with this claim but it's very much a case of "well what are you going to do about it"

the US sails a bunch of military ships around in the area whenever they want to show china who's boss

there's large fossil fuel reserves under the ocean floor in the area which is why everyone wants it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

I didn't realize they were claiming rocks that small, I thought it was more islets and stuff :lol:

if a country owns the land then they also get to control the waters within a few hundred nmi of the land, which is what they really want (for fishing, drilling, etc)

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 22:24 on Nov 19, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

if a country owns the land then they also control the waters within like 200 nmi of the land, which is what they really want

The UN law of the sea, to which China is a party (but the US isn't) says.

quote:

Rocks which cannot sustain human habitation or economic life of their own shall have no exclusive economic zone or continental shelf

So they're claiming that is an islet that can sustain human habitation.

I'm really surprised the US still isn't a party to that treaty, you'd think that the US would do that at some point considering we keep wanting to enforce it...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i dunno that guy looks like he's having a good time on that rock

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Rocks which cannot sustain human habitation or economic life of their own shall have no exclusive economic zone or continental shelf

than how does australia have territorial waters

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

here's Scarborough Reef

and here's where it is

How long do they stay out there, there's not even room to sleep. What is the upside of doing this, surely they have ham radio at home.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm really surprised the US still isn't a party to that treaty, you'd think that the US would do that at some point considering we keep wanting to enforce it...

If I recall correctly there was an attempt to join that treaty under obama but the republicans worked themselves up into some kind of jade helm frenzy so obama gave up.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hobbesmaster posted:

welcome to international law. if you make a rock susteain humaqn habitation, it gains an exlucive economic zone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

30.5 Days posted:

How long do they stay out there, there's not even room to sleep. What is the upside of doing this, surely they have ham radio at home.

there are a bunch of 'entities' that are often nations, but also sometimes broken out into islands. and then there are awards for "spoke to the most countries/entities"

They get to go on a weird week long vacation and operate radio using a very rare call sign that all the people they talk to get credit for. It's some pokemon catch-em-all poo poo.

Also, they do fundraisers and people pay like a half million dollars to them so they can go on a very expensive vacation for a week. its a hell of a boomergrift

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the second most popular/controversial island for them to do this on is, wait for it, pitcairn island. lmao look that poo poo up if you aren't aware

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

If I recall correctly there was an attempt to join that treaty under obama but the republicans worked themselves up into some kind of jade helm frenzy so obama gave up.

IIRC HW Bush negotiated the bulk of it then it was finalized under Clinton and by the time it came to the Senate for ratification whoever Gingrich's counterpart was in the Senate (Trent Lott?) blew it up because CCCCLINTON?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

the second most popular/controversial island for them to do this on is, wait for it, pitcairn island. lmao look that poo poo up if you aren't aware

it'd be less suspicious to go to whatever that bitcoiner favorite city in thailand is

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The Bloop posted:

I wonder if those new gimmicky folding phones can scan themselves

Only if they have some ribs surgically removed.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rutibex posted:

emperor hadrian would like to have a word with you

was reading about hadrian today. first emperor to hold a traveling court. tried to treat periphery as a commonwealth and not rule passively from afar. wanted to see the borders that trajan had bequeathed him. every town the court stopped in built him a sick triumphal arch too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rutibex posted:

facebook knows it will only last as long as the boomers

don’t think so. it’s millennial central

https://www.statista.com/statistics/376128/facebook-global-user-age-distribution/

quote:

As of October 2021, it was found that 9.3 percent of total active Facebook users worldwide were women between the ages of 18 and 24 years, while male users between the ages of 25 and 34 years constituted the biggest demographic group on the social media platform

quote:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2021/06/01/facts-about-americans-and-facebook/

Around seven-in-ten U.S. adults (69%) say they ever use Facebook, according to an early 2021 phone survey. There has been no statistically significant change in the share of adults who use the platform since 2016

Growing share of Americans say they use YouTube; Facebook remains one of the most widely used online platforms among U.S. adults
With the exception of YouTube – the video-sharing site used by 81% of adults – no other major online platform comes close to Facebook in terms of usage. Four-in-ten adults report using Instagram, while around three-in-ten use Pinterest (31%) and LinkedIn (28%). A quarter of adults or fewer use Snapchat, Twitter, WhatsApp, TikTok, Reddit and Nextdoor. Facebook owns Instagram and WhatsApp.

Among U.S. adults who use Facebook, seven-in-ten say they visit the site daily, including around half (49%) who do so several times a day. By comparison, 59% of both Snapchat and Instagram users say they visit these platforms at least daily, as do 54% of YouTube users and 46% of Twitter users.

Facebook is broadly popular among all demographic groups, though some adults are more likely to use it than others. Around three-quarters of U.S. women (77%) use the platform, compared with 61% of men. There are differences by education level, too: About three-quarters (73%) of adults with a college degree or more use Facebook, compared with 64% of those who have a high school diploma or less.

Americans ages 65 and older are the least likely age group to use Facebook, with half saying they do so. But that still represents a 30 percentage point increase since August 2012, when just 20% reported using

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 11:56 on Nov 20, 2021

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Tulip posted:

Greetings denizens of cspam
I am an ambassador from Facebookistan

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
facebook literally makes up numbers to sell to advertisers

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

man is the nastiest most hosed up animal there is. lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when does the billions spent on ads that nobody sees or clicks on for decades part of the internet economy start being a problem?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Real hurthling! posted:

when does the billions spent on ads that nobody sees or clicks on for decades part of the internet economy start being a problem?

so far its been wrecking things like newspapers and midlevel advertisers on behalf of facebook so it's already a problem if you're not facebook

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Real hurthling! posted:

Albania collapsed into civil war when Ponzi schemes were half of its economy. Crypto is currently one eighth of the US economy.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Chamale posted:

Albania collapsed into civil war when Ponzi schemes were half of its economy. Crypto is currently one eighth of the US economy.

the rest of the US economy is also a ponzi scheme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
My dick is a Ponzi scheme get in on the ground floor