Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The CVT is kind of a deal breaker.

That price tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno, I really liked the CVT in my Elite 250. Granted, completely different motor (250cc, liquid cooled), but the CVT made the most of the power that the engine had, and it would really launch off the line, basically as hard as you could get a 250 to launch. But yeah, if you want shifting, a Grom it is not

I really like the center storage cubby, which also apparently pops out for travel luggage? :3:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw the 300cc Kawasaki scooter I can't remember the name of will quite handily drag off both an sv650 and a monster 800, I know this first hand.

Cvt's are objectively the fastest accelerating transmission, it's a shame they suck at everything else.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's an interesting hybrid, I'd definitely want to try it just to see what it's like to ride a scooter with bike ergos that let you do things properly.

Strikes me it's the worst of both worlds - you still get the lag and boredom of a CVT and automatic clutch without the comfort and storage space of a conventional scooter. An NC125 (I'll even let them keep the CVT instead of the DCT on the NC) would be a more interesting move in that direction.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Man gently caress anybody trying to charge money for PDFs of manuals. I just need a wiring diagram, I'm not shelling out $20 for it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Strikes me it's the worst of both worlds - you still get the lag and boredom of a CVT and automatic clutch without the comfort and storage space of a conventional scooter. An NC125 (I'll even let them keep the CVT instead of the DCT on the NC) would be a more interesting move in that direction.

The best not-large Honda scooter I've ridden was the PCX150, it had linked discs front and rear with a 6 piston caliper on the front, and it had idle stop-go for traffic and a few other nifty gadgets. It was a technical and practical tour de force; it's a shame they can't bring themselves to do that with motorbikes anymore.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picked up that SR/F on Sunday. Don't have much in the way of impressions yet because it was 45F for the ride home and my route was at the upper end of the range so I didn't push it at all, not being familiar with real world range yet. But I can tell it's gonna be a hoot.

opengl fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 18, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Picked up that SR/F on Sunday. Don't have much in the way of impressions yet because it was 45F for the ride home and my route was at the upper end of the range so I didn't push it at all, not being familiar with real world range yet. But I can tell it's gonna be a hoot.

That's a good looking bike! You know what it could do with though? A fat red colour stripe on each wheel.
Q&d:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's a nice looking bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

opengl128 posted:

This is quite nice, they're starting to figure out how to build a bike around a xerox machine and not make it look like poo poo finally.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

Abs yeah. Disc brakes I'm not so sure. I can't remember the last time I saw even a cheap 50cc with a front drum, if they can make lovely Korean scooters always come with a disc I'm pretty sure Honda could afford to do it on a bike that's already built in Thailand with a high percentage of locally sourced parts.

Anyway what does that bike count as? It's a cvt with a swinging engine which says scooter, but it's got pegs, a conventional fork and bars and tank hump, which says bike. It's not an underbone in appearance or construction, but it also isn't really a true moped or scooter cause you can't step through. It's an interesting hybrid, I'd definitely want to try it just to see what it's like to ride a scooter with bike ergos that let you do things properly.

Another thing about those brakes, the rear is linked to the front. Front is independent. I don’t know if that’s a requirement for some government somewhere or an attempt to protect the type of rider likely to get one of those from their own self.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Another thing about those brakes, the rear is linked to the front. Front is independent. I don’t know if that’s a requirement for some government somewhere or an attempt to protect the type of rider likely to get one of those from their own self.

Oh, THAT's what it has two cables running to the pivot arm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I believe some version of the EU regulations requires either ABS or linked brakes, yes.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

EU rule: Motorcycles of 125cc and smaller are excempted from the ABS requirement, on the condition that they have linked brakes. Anything bigger needs ABS these days.

I wonder if it were intensely stupid riders that triggered the linked brake requirement, or intensely stupid politicans who have never ridden a bike.
Won't it really badly screw over the handling when you're doing low speed manouvres while riding the rear brake, if the front is also braking?

I sorta get it for the countries in which car drivers can ride an 125cc bike on their car license, and reflexively just mash the brake pedal like in a car. Still, seems stupid to encumber every rider with that system. Somehow i can't imagine that it was actually researched properly...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao wait so the eu think linked brakes is equatable to ABS? Lmfao.

That's insane.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Look at this loving bike: https://powersports.honda.com/street/minimoto/navi

Its a Grom with a CVT and its only $1800!

Everyone in the US is going crazy for the navi like it's a new concept bike but it's been out in south asia and india for half a decade. In my grom crazy days I always drooled over it, because it has a storage cubby in that empty space there. It's the perfect thing for what you actually want a grom for - a fun errand getter and commuter.

Of course the first thing all the degenerates plan to do is put a huge speaker in that empty space. Whatever. Gimme a maxi scoot with under seat storage any day.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 18, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man, a little cheaper and I'd be like gently caress it.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rolo posted:

Man, a little cheaper and I'd be like gently caress it.

Check out the Honda U Be if you want cheap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Converting the price to nzd, while an imperfect exercise, makes it about the same price as a gn125. I'm honestly not sure which I'd prefer, but at least it's a fight. A new Grom costs the same as a new fully faired gsx250 actual motorcycle.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Hey they finally posted the pictures from American Supercamp. Here's me at my most heroic, which is not particularly impressive

I also apparently didn't learn anything because I ate poo poo super hard on my bicycle this morning. I normally cross 6 sets of train tracks on my commute. It was raining, and I think I just straightened out my front like 1/4 second too soon and went down instantly, like maybe 15' away from my office on the very last rail. :smith:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Lmao wait so the eu think linked brakes is equatable to ABS? Lmfao.

That's insane.

ABS would probably chuck 10% on the parts cost for a lower-end scooter so presumably all the scooter manufacturers (well Piaggio, who I think own all of the non-Asian scooter makers at this point) asked for an exemption, and the EU being the EU said "Well we've got to do *something*" and happened to see a 1997 Honda brochure and went "Well this is something, we should do this".

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Cost is one factor, but i think the most important reason is that in some EU countries, you are allowed to ride an 125cc bike on a car driver's license. Those riders have no experience, nor do they have any training in how to use a separate front and rear brake.
Going by the way cyclists fail at using their front brake, or american untrained riders fail at that, it might be a good decision. They can just keep mashing the brake pedal like they're used to in their cars and come to a reasonably controlled stop.
I have never ridden a bike with linked brakes, i think it would feel really weird and i have no idea how the distribution of brake force is between front and back.

ABS would be better, but as Twisto said, it would add a lot to the normally quite low price of a 125cc scooter or bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Honda linked brakes just apply like up to some % rear brake when you pull the front brake lever. The rear brake still just controls the rear brake. The idea being you don't need to remember to use both a hand and a foot to get the most effective braking in an emergency. That's the theory anyway. It also might be implemented completely differently depending on the bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I hope they have standardized their linked setup by now.

The goldwing linked brakes are maybe the worst setup possible, when you press the rear brake it fully engages the rear brake and one of the two front rotors. The lever at the bar engages just the other front rotor

:psypop:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My new favorite exhaust mod:

https://youtu.be/IdxBOk0RpoQ

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I hope they have standardized their linked setup by now.

The goldwing linked brakes are maybe the worst setup possible, when you press the rear brake it fully engages the rear brake and one of the two front rotors. The lever at the bar engages just the other front rotor

:psypop:

Two separate braking circuits, baby! (Which is an issue with linked brakes, what if you lose fluid?)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I suspect that the linked brake setup on that little Honda thing is configured so that the front brake is activated with both the hand lever and the pedal. The dual cable setup it has wouldn't work the other way around. Maybe there's a cam or linkage on the brake pedal that applies the front at some fraction of what you're applying to the rear.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Which was the bike that had six-pot front brakes with only four of them controlled by the lever, the other two controlled by the pedal? I think the (non-floating, obviously) back had one piston controlled by each of the lever and pedal. I wanna say it was the VFR. I remember being really impressed by the elegance of the system before thinking about what it would actually mean for pad and disk wear.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are two Honda linked hydraulic brake configurations in the modern era.

One system activates 75% of the front brake and 30% of the rear when using the front, 70% rear and 25% front when using the rear. These numbers will vary a bit depending on the number of pistons in either caliper. The braking circuits are hydraulically separate. Both brakes activate with either lever but to get maximum power you have to use both. This system sucks.

The other system activates part of the rear brake using a secondary MC on the fork which is pumped by the front caliper torque reaction when using the front brake. Rear brake is directly linked to a couple of pistons on the front, the other six are hydraulically separate. So when you brake with the rear, it does like a feedback loop thing where some pressure makes the front brake bite a little, which makes the caliper torque pivot into the MC, which makes the rear brake even stronger. This system sucks extra hard.

The scooters with cable brakes usually run a setup where the front lever activates just the front, rear lever activates both.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Slavvy posted:

There are two Honda linked hydraulic brake configurations in the modern era.

The other system activates part of the rear brake using a secondary MC on the fork which is pumped by the front caliper torque reaction when using the front brake. Rear brake is directly linked to a couple of pistons on the front, the other six are hydraulically separate. So when you brake with the rear, it does like a feedback loop thing where some pressure makes the front brake bite a little, which makes the caliper torque pivot into the MC, which makes the rear brake even stronger. This system sucks extra hard.

The ST1300a has this. It’s an extra special pain in the rear end to bleed the rear circuit (the left front calliper must be suspended at a specific angle or it catches bubbles in the secondary master), and it’s really weird when you’re at a stop. Let off the front brake and the rear pedal sags. Diagram below.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just a pointless overcomplicated nightmare attempting to solve a non-engineering problem by engineering at it extra vigorously. So typical for Honda, the Germans of Japan.

See also: anti dive forks

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I know absolutely nothing about anti-dive forks but I do know I want to load the front wheel before a turn so are they as pointless as they sound?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It goes back to the fundamental problem of damping rod forks. Because they work by ramming fluid through a fixed hole, they tend to have poor low speed damping (slow movements like braking, turning, road undulations) and harsh high speed damping (road surface, judders and lips etc). This is pretty much the opposite of what you want because it leads to a bike that is bouncy and pitchy, but has poor tyre adhesion. The hole sizing has to be a compromise between stability and grip.

Anti dive was effectively an effort to broaden the setup window of bikes that were rapidly becoming too powerful for their chassis and tyres. If you link the damping hole to something that reacts to fork dive or braking force, you can effectively drastically increase low speed damping and thus stability under braking and ONLY under braking; the orifice can be nice and big to allow supple road-following grip when you're on the power.

In practice they make trail braking impossible, and make light braking really terrible, because the system can't really tell if you're only braking a little bit, so you still get the full damping restriction that makes the bike bounce and judder over every little bump, but without the tyre loading to sustain traction. I imagine on a race track, where compromises are narrower, with literally nothing better available, they would be a decisive gadget because they could make your bike's setup window broader, but even then it only matters if you can run lines that suit the system's limitations.

Cartridge forks made all of this stuff obsolete by separating low and high speed damping.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 21, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yeah if you have good forks anti-dive isn't really needed. My 83 Goldwing has both linked brakes and the TRAC anti-dive system, both of which are disabled on my bike. The forks have emulators and springs and the kit specifically says this disables the anti-dive.

The link brakes on the Goldwing work a little different than Honda's later linked systems. The left caliper is actuated by the hand lever and handle MC. The right caliper and rear caliper are actuated by the foot brake, and there are hard lines running through the center of the bike connecting the two. So when you grab a handful of brake, you are only getting two pistons and one rotor of stopping power. You have to use the rear. It works pretty well it's just not what we are used to.

It's not difficult to unlink it though. There's a 3 way joint on the left side of the bike where the hard lines and rubber line for the rear converge. Disconnect the hard line leading to the front and plug the hole in the fitting with an appropriate threaded bolt. This isolates the rear brake. Disconnect the hard lines in front and run twin brake lines from the MC to the caliper using a double banjo. This leaves the system in place should you ever want to go back. I took the rear MC off an unlinked 82 and replaced the one with the hard lines. Same result, but I can't go back as easily.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

My wife got me a little helmet cam for Christmas and gave it to me early when I mentioned maybe riding on Thanksgiving eve, when its gonna be dry and just above 50. Would it be kosher to post any videos in here? Or too boring?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:justpost:

I think the only non boring content the bulk of us could make is nearly crashing, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCTUT89vXpo

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I mean with that kind of thing, you’re hoping for boring, boring’s good

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well riding itself shouldn’t be boring for the rider, but others watching you ride should hopefully be boring. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

My new favorite exhaust mod:

https://youtu.be/IdxBOk0RpoQ

SA didn't parse the YouTube link properly but somehow I knew exactly what this was going to be before I clicked on it -- wasn't disappointed :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

gileadexile posted:

My wife got me a little helmet cam for Christmas and gave it to me early when I mentioned maybe riding on Thanksgiving eve, when its gonna be dry and just above 50. Would it be kosher to post any videos in here? Or too boring?

I ride with a helmet cam 100% of the time and I've never done anything cool or impressive, but anything dangerous or dumb or otherwise remotely noteworthy I :justpost:

https://youtu.be/NqOb3CPaHD8