Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

The only podcast I've ever really gotten into was WTF with Marc Maron, and you can download those episodes so long as they're recent. Is that not the case for these ones? I like saving hours-long radio-esque talks for when I'm deep into my vidya games, but maybe I should jump on these while they're up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Sekhmnet posted:

The only podcast I've ever really gotten into was WTF with Marc Maron, and you can download those episodes so long as they're recent. Is that not the case for these ones? I like saving hours-long radio-esque talks for when I'm deep into my vidya games, but maybe I should jump on these while they're up?

not sure, but they're not beholden to any sort of podcast network like Marc is with his show (you can purchase a subscription to access the archive) so for all we know they're just going to live on their feed in perpetuity.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

multijoe posted:

The blackface episode is still extremely funny though
Yeah, the blackface episodes are actually funny to me, a white dude

quote:

And this is a very libertarian defence of corporate censorship, when something is still technically accessible but made made very difficult for most people to practically access (such as pulling something from the streaming sites 95% of people use to watch stuff now) you're still for most intents and purposes banning it from public consumption

all of it is already "banned from public consumption" because it airs on some weird american cable channel. maybe if someone else pays for the cable package idk

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like they start out the Podcast with Charlie Day talking about how he shouldn't have eaten cheese before the podcast.

I guess even though they don't say much about the episodes, their natural chemistry is just enjoyable. Would be even better if they could get Olson and maybe DeVito in there too...

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 20, 2021

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

they cant have kaitlin on for at least the first season or they run the risk of getting into some messy discussion regarding the original dee actress

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

LividLiquid posted:

But a huge chunk of the audience doesn't care because they just got to laugh at a racist thing they enjoy and got to see it be mainstreamed.

It's not 1930. Who the gently caress is laughing at blackface just for the blackface? Nobody under the age of 80 is a good guess. People are laughing at the joke, which usually revolves around the absurdity of blackface, because nobody watching the show actually thinks the blackface in and of itself is funny.

That seems to be not very racist, but nuance and intent are dead so who knows.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 20, 2021

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

ChesterJT posted:

It's not 1930. Who the gently caress is laughing at blackface just for the blackface? Nobody under the age of 80 is a good guess. People are laughing at the joke, which usually revolves around the absurdity of blackface, because nobody watching the show actually thinks the blackface in and of itself is funny.

I feel like this post couldn't have been made without completely failing to read the important parts of the post you quoted:

LividLiquid posted:

What I feel bears repeating when things like this happen, is that it isn't because nobody understands the nuance of the joke being "this dude unintentionally did something racist." Everybody gets that. But a huge chunk of the audience doesn't care because they just got to laugh at a racist thing they enjoy and got to see it be mainstreamed.
Once you understand why nazis absolutely love American History X and how dangerous that is, you start siding with standards and practices on occasion after being raised on that whole freeze peach absolutism argument that only ever seems to apply to white people.

There are absolutely people who are going to be laughing at blackface just for the blackface, and they're encouraged by getting to see this stuff on television.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Nazis love American History X?! Do they just turn it off half way through?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

My wife has a lot of family who live in Queensland, and a few months back they had an "Africa themed costume party".

Guess what the costume was that her aunt and uncle proudly put on the family group chat.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

WonkyBob posted:

Yes, mentally.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People can love parts of a movie and ignore what they don’t like.

Look at all those war is bad movies that somehow actually increase voluteers to the army

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also blackface is still pretty common unironically. It’s not on mainstream TV anymore but even that is pretty recent comparably.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Doesn't make much sense on its face, does it?

They also love being "embarrassed" on national TV because it's good for recruitment and they know it.

That people expect bigotry to conform to logic is the weird thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nobody's talking about the It's Always Sunny to alt-right pipeline and that's a problem

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

WonkyBob posted:

Sounds like confederacy-lovers and Gone with the Wind

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Are you loving people seriously picking this week of all weeks to go to bat for racism on TV?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

"The Thread Gets Racist"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

"The Thread Gets Racist"

I didn't know it was going to come off like that

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

they cant have kaitlin on for at least the first season or they run the risk of getting into some messy discussion regarding the original dee actress

drat, read this story just now and that's really lovely of the dudes. Something you'd expect the characters to do, not the actors themselves.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Phenotype posted:

I feel like this post couldn't have been made without completely failing to read the important parts of the post you quoted:

There are absolutely people who are going to be laughing at blackface just for the blackface, and they're encouraged by getting to see this stuff on television.

Seems you missed my point actually. It's ok. We can all bond over Sunny being great.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yes, mentally.

Do they do the same thing for Romper Stomper?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

WonkyBob posted:

Do they do the same thing for Romper Stomper?

They for sure do. There used to just be nazis around the punk scenes and that's where I always heard about Romper Stomper, which was so long ago that it would possibly be before American History X.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Romper Stomper was great, maybe I'll give that a rewatch soon. AHX I liked, but I can't help but feel that the way it ends doesn't exactly help its message.

As someone mentioned upthread the 'IASIP to alt-right pipeline' is a real thing - I recently left a Sunny meme group because it was full of Rittenhouse stans. Either that or the show just attracts those types of edgelords who are too dim to read between the lines and think the Gang are heroes, already too far gone to the alt-right.

Satirical media influencing some awful behaviour isn't anything new though. I'm not entirely unconvinced that the re-invigoration of outright antisemitic discourse is due to South Park laying it on heavy with the Jew jokes.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

What's this about? Do I want to know?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The podcast is great, could listen to those legends gab all day.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mister Speaker posted:

What's this about? Do I want to know?

The poster is insinuating that you don't want to know.
But well, originally, there was supposed to be another woman playing Dee. That change seems a bit peculiar knowing that Rob and Kaitlin are married nowadays. By modern standards that feels a bit sleezy. It might be nothing, but it's probably not worth digging that up.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Here's a good account that I remember reading (probably linked from an ancestor of this thread) like five years ago:

https://medium.com/@ramshackleglam/the-real-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-origin-story-852a0b17e75f

It's a rough situation, but not nearly as scandalous as whatever people in here keep gleefully dancing around.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Explains how they're able to authentically play such lovely people! Wow had no idea that went on at the start of the show, poor lady.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Another Bill posted:

They for sure do. There used to just be nazis around the punk scenes and that's where I always heard about Romper Stomper, which was so long ago that it would possibly be before American History X.

You're correct, it came out in 1992. The skinheads are portrayed (and rightly so) as a bunch of complete morons and it.... Doesn't really end well for them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WonkyBob posted:

You're correct, it came out in 1992. The skinheads are portrayed (and rightly so) as a bunch of complete morons and it.... Doesn't really end well for them.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember being delighted when they decide to jump an Asian dude whose friend immediately goes and gets all of HIS friends and a whole mob of pissed off Asian dudes show up and beat the poo poo out of them and chase them off.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I remember being delighted when they decide to jump an Asian dude whose friend immediately goes and gets all of HIS friends and a whole mob of pissed off Asian dudes show up and beat the poo poo out of them and chase them off.

That's a great scene, goes on for about 15 minutes. The skinheads are outnumbered with the first group of Vietnamese guys, then a bunch more arrive (most of them have baseball bats and 2X4s) and the few racists who can still walk try to escape. Vietnamese guys follow the nazis back to their poo poo hovel hideout and set it on fire. If you're still thinking "those nazis are real stand up gents, good people" after that you probably need your head examined (maybe with a baseball bat or 2X4).

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

LividLiquid posted:

The entire joke in that episode of community was that the guy was in blackface. They called attention to that fact and everything.

What I feel bears repeating when things like this happen, is that it isn't because nobody understands the nuance of the joke being "this dude unintentionally did something racist." Everybody gets that. But a huge chunk of the audience doesn't care because they just got to laugh at a racist thing they enjoy and got to see it be mainstreamed.

Sunny is my go-to example of how a show can have characters that are extremely problematic without, as Archie Bunker did, drawing an audience of people who don't get that they're the joke here, but it's not perfect, comedy ages poorly, and in a world where you can still easily see those episodes without even having to drive to a loving store, it's fine to draw a line in the sand and say "we no longer want to be associated with this kind of thing."

Once you understand why nazis absolutely love American History X and how dangerous that is, you start siding with standards and practices on occasion after being raised on that whole freeze peach absolutism argument that only ever seems to apply to white people.

Shut up, baby dick

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's not even blackface, the Drow don't have the same history with America and it's lowkey racist to hijack the person offensively donning drowface makeup with a whimsical accent not representative of anyone who respects or understands drow culture -- to use it to make a point about some other groups of people unrelated culturally and historically.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

they actually took down the Lethal Weapon episodes because Mel Gibson bought the rights to make their exact version of it

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

robot roll call posted:

they actually took down the Lethal Weapon episodes because Mel Gibson bought the rights to make their exact version of it

Hopefully, they traded for the rights to Passion of the Christ 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh jay posted:

Hopefully, they traded for the rights to Passion of the Christ 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I don't think there's enough fake blood in the world for a Mac-directed passion

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

This is all pointless anyway the blackface episodes aren’t coming back. People are just going to have to accept that at some point

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is all pointless anyway the blackface episodes aren’t coming back. People are just going to have to accept that at some point

The Puerto Rican Day from Seinfeld started being rerun in syndication with no fanfare after being banned for half a decade.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

not to mention one of the initially pulled episodes has already been added back on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This podcast is pretty great.