Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
I fully acknowledge that my Y spent a day and a half in the shop total (once for coat hooks and a panel gap that I didn’t see but they fixed anyway, and once for the wheel covers making noise and a loose clip under the driver’s seat), but I think that Consumer Reports is 100% catering to their target demographic with that ranking. You’d have a tough time convincing me that someone writing for a print magazine and referring to things like “too many bells and whistles” being detrimental to a modern electric car is anything but a Boomer dogwhistle for “newfangled things are scary and bad.”

I’ll be interested to see where the EV6/EV9 go, though, because I had two Kias that were reasonably solid for ~6 years. My wife has had several Nissans with the same positive experience, but it seems like the Ariya is a dud, so meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a shared driveway with a neighbor and they got a Tesla model 3 in the fall. Now that it's getting colder out I hear the car whirring when it's hooked up to shore power. Is that battery conditioning? It's only hooked up to 120v 20a right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sonic Dude posted:

I fully acknowledge that my Y spent a day and a half in the shop total (once for coat hooks and a panel gap that I didn’t see but they fixed anyway, and once for the wheel covers making noise and a loose clip under the driver’s seat), but I think that Consumer Reports is 100% catering to their target demographic with that ranking. You’d have a tough time convincing me that someone writing for a print magazine and referring to things like “too many bells and whistles” being detrimental to a modern electric car is anything but a Boomer dogwhistle for “newfangled things are scary and bad.”

lol

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Sonic Dude posted:

but I think that Consumer Reports is 100% catering to their target demographic with that ranking.

Only Tesla drivers/stock holders think like this

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Aino Minako posted:

I’ve had a deposit on a plaid Model X all year, and they’re now estimating delivery in January. I don’t think I can keep going with Tesla, though. Musk is just such an rear end in a top hat, and I’d rather not drive a conspicuous car that also tacitly supports that attitude

To be fair I don’t think most drivers on the road or passers by are aware of musks trolling on Twitter or would even associate that with someone driving a Tesla. Personally I don’t give a poo poo about a figure heads Twitter persona when it comes to large scale purchases like a car. I mean Bill gates is a monopolistic and (alleged) pedophile twat but that doesn’t stop me from buying a copy of windows. To be honest I’m off the Tesla hype train more because m3s are a dime a dozen on the road and the more I explore options they sort of seem over priced design wankery like apple products.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a shared driveway with a neighbor and they got a Tesla model 3 in the fall. Now that it's getting colder out I hear the car whirring when it's hooked up to shore power. Is that battery conditioning? It's only hooked up to 120v 20a right now.

Ya, the car will use shore power to maintain the battery whenever it’s plugged in. It’s the reason your EV should be plugged in as much as reasonably possible, even when it doesn’t need to be charged.

Teslas also do a lot of electronic stuff, uploading data to the mothership, etc when plugged in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

To be fair I don’t think most drivers on the road or passers by are aware of musks trolling on Twitter or would even associate that with someone driving a Tesla. Personally I don’t give a poo poo about a figure heads Twitter persona when it comes to large scale purchases like a car. I mean Bill gates is a monopolistic and (alleged) pedophile twat but that doesn’t stop me from buying a copy of windows. To be honest I’m off the Tesla hype train more because m3s are a dime a dozen on the road and the more I explore options they sort of seem over priced design wankery like apple products.

lol

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Consumer Reports is 100% catering to their target demographic with that ranking.

They've waffled on Tesla a lot in the past, and honestly I have the impression they do a better job than anyone else at doing objective work.

Also LOL

EngineerJoe posted:

Only Tesla drivers/stock holders think like this

LOL

Aino Minako posted:

I don’t think I can keep going with Tesla, though. Musk is just such an rear end in a top hat, and I’d rather not drive a conspicuous car that also tacitly supports that attitude.

Don't get a car you don't want, but I don't think the 3 or Y really stand out that much any more, now that there are so freakin' many of them on the road and Consumer Reports is saying it's the worst car you can buy.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Ya, the car will use shore power to maintain the battery whenever it’s plugged in. It’s the reason your EV should be plugged in as much as reasonably possible, even when it doesn’t need to be charged.

:siren: EXCEPT THE NISSAN LEAF :siren:

Leaving it plugged in will gently caress up the big battery and drain the 12V battery so you need a jump start to turn the car on.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Teslas also don’t have induction battery heaters. They use (if I recall correctly) the front motors to do that. Especially at level 1 speeds, the car is going to spend most of its incoming energy keeping the battery warm enough to charge, so you’ll hear motor noise and probably some coolant pump noise. If it’s much louder than an idling ICE then there may be something amiss.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Jobs' RDF easily extends far enough to cover Cupertino from his grave

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Sonic Dude posted:

Teslas also don’t have induction battery heaters. They use (if I recall correctly) the front motors to do that. Especially at level 1 speeds, the car is going to spend most of its incoming energy keeping the battery warm enough to charge, so you’ll hear motor noise and probably some coolant pump noise. If it’s much louder than an idling ICE then there may be something amiss.

Even the RWD Teslas will do that and they don't even have a front motor so I'd assume it is only done with the rear motor which is common to all trims. But other wise yeah, Tesla doesn't have a dedicated battery heater although even the ones with heat pumps have a dedicated ceramic resistive cabin heater for when it is too cold for the heat pump to work effectively. When one is parked and heating the battery it basically sends about 7 kW of power to the motor but without rotating the fields, so instead of turning the motor only holds in its position under that power and basically just converts the 7 kW to heat which then gets circulated through the coolant loop into the battery. From inside or outside the car you can usually hear a faint high pitched electrical whirring and perhaps the pump running when this is going on.

Which also brings up an interesting thing, when you turn on cabin heat in winter to precondition a Tesla and it is too cold for a heat pump or you have a pre-refresh model 3, the vehicle can consume up to 14 kW between the cabin heater and motors heating the battery, which is more power than even the HPWC can supply so even when you are plugged in the car will still draw from the battery during preconditioning for at least a short while in a lot of cases.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aino Minako posted:

Knox, how are you feeling with your Taycan a year on?

Sure, yeah I'm just over a year in and 12,000 km covered. I still really like it. The majority of the use has been driving up to the mountains, a couple of longer road trips, and just recently commuting on the autoroute. Zero problems.

The positive aspects are pretty obvious, it's very pretty, drives beautifully and is really fast, even as a 4S. The interior is great, both aesthetically and for comfort. It has "enough" range. It's fairly practical, I'm typing this while recharging after buying a load of plywood.

Trying hard to think of the negatives: there's no getting away from the cost. In terms of the physical design, the trunk is a bit of a weird shape that limits its usefulness, and a hatch or lift back would be a big improvement. The rear 3/4 visibility is bad and the blind spot sensors are important to get.

Some aspects of the electronics are weird or bad. Some of the charging settings are buried in menus and can be a bit laggy. The Porsche Connect app is pretty awful and I don't use it.

If you don't mind the cost and have decent charging infrastructure round you, a cross turismo will make you pretty happy.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Hilarious

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

:siren: EXCEPT THE NISSAN LEAF :siren:

Leaving it plugged in will gently caress up the big battery and drain the 12V battery so you need a jump start to turn the car on.

Don't Teslas also do this, I think James Mays did and he posted an amusing video about it?

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Taking my first road trip from San Diego to LA and back in the big battery RWD Taycan today and I'm a little disappointed it is only estimating 272mi in Range mode before I head out. Perhaps I haven't driven it enough in Range mode to know my driving habits?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Don't Teslas also do this, I think James Mays did and he posted an amusing video about it?

I wasn't aware of Tesla having problems like this, but the longest I've ever left the Model 3 plugged in continuously has been about 14 days, so maybe it takes longer to show up?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think it was a problem with the Model S that got fixed in an update.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:thunk:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Is that in a cold place? I wonder if they were outlets for block heaters then they figured “oh electric vehicles? Slap a sign up, job done!” :haw:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

I fully acknowledge that my Y spent a day and a half in the shop total (once for coat hooks and a panel gap that I didn’t see but they fixed anyway, and once for the wheel covers making noise and a loose clip under the driver’s seat), but I think that Consumer Reports is 100% catering to their target demographic with that ranking.

You’re absolutely right, they are catering to their target demographic: people interested in reliable cars

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

priznat posted:

Is that in a cold place? I wonder if they were outlets for block heaters then they figured “oh electric vehicles? Slap a sign up, job done!” :haw:

Not my photo, but it’s said to be at a hotel in Burbank, California.

It’s just bad.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah, for the most part a 120v/15A outlet is not for useful charging an EV, it is only really useful for making sure the EV doesn't lose charge while it is parked there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Platystemon posted:

Not my photo, but it’s said to be at a hotel in Burbank, California.

It’s just bad.

Definitely not for block heaters then, that is a hilarious photo especially if all those are just ganged on a 15A/20A circuit.

Also new car chat the EV9 looks god drat ideal for me (3 kids and 2 dogs), shame we probably won’t see it in dealerships til late 2023 if then.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

bird with big dick posted:

I've gotten a lot of PMs telling me I'm lying about the torque wrench so here's proof that I'm not

Lol who sends PMs about a torque wrench???

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

You’re absolutely right, they are catering to their target demographic: people interested in reliable cars

More specifically: people who subscribe to Consumer Reports.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

More specifically: people who subscribe to Consumer Reports.

lmao nobody subscribes to consumer reports, they go to their local public library and check through back issues there

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ruggan posted:

I mean, does this subforum look like “Automotive Sanity” to you? Does it say “Automotive Sensibility” somewhere?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ruggan posted:

I do, okay? I'm not proud of it. I just really like torque wrenches.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Tesla depends on software to monitor 12v battery health. If the software doesn’t pick up on a 12v battery going bad, you can still get stuck, since the computers disconnect the traction battery and 12v charger and go to sleep under certain conditions.

…And the 12v battery is in a place that is an absolute nightmare to get to if the car doesn’t have 12v power. Because Tesla.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

I’ll be interested to see where the EV6/EV9 go, though, because I had two Kias that were reasonably solid for ~6 years. My wife has had several Nissans with the same positive experience, but it seems like the Ariya is a dud, so meh.

Tesla had the top spot last year so you may need to rethink some things

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrYenko posted:

…And the 12v battery is in a place that is an absolute nightmare to get to if the car doesn’t have 12v power. Because Tesla.

On which models is it difficult to get to the 12V power? It was simple to jump-start my Model 3 when its 12V battery died.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao nobody subscribes to consumer reports, they go to their local public library and check through back issues there

Even better than that, I get free online access from home with my library account.

Edit: and plenty of libraries have a single shared account that they publicize on their website... example: https://www.schoolcraftlibrary.org/services/consumer-reports-online/

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nfcknblvbl posted:

On which models is it difficult to get to the 12V power? It was simple to jump-start my Model 3 when its 12V battery died.
I think jump starting is a bit of problem with the design of Tesla vehicles. Yes, it is trivial to do if you know the procedure and have the equipment to do so, the problem comes from if you want to carry that equipment in said Tesla. When the 12v dies, it is impossible to access any of the storage areas of the vehicle without an external power source. So if you have jumper cables in the trunk or frunk they are completely useless because you would need them outside the car to even be able to open the trunk or frunk in the first place. Same for keeping one of those lithium ion jump starter battery packs in the glove box/frunk/trunk, completely useless because the vehicle cannot be opened until the 12v system is already powered. Basically for cars with physical keys it is possible to store and access everything you need to jump start the vehicle in its own storage spaces, but with a Tesla you are entirely dependent on someone else having all that equipment in their vehicle and have it all be in working order to be able to jump yours.

Basically when I had an ICE with a physical key, I had a set of good heavy jumper cables in the trunk. But I deliberately gave them to the person I sold the car to because I knew they would be totally useless in the Tesla I replaced it with. Because what good are jumper cables in the car if you have to jump the car to open it and get the cables?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The good thing is a 9V battery can pop the hood so tape that to the bodywork somewhere in the front bumper in case it dies. Your lithium jump-start battery should be in the front trunk.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
If I’m doing the math right my Taycan RWD actually has about a 320mi max range. Charging at an EA an Culver City was surprisingly painless. Just plugged in and didn’t touch the machine or an app.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

There’s a hospital near here that does the same thing, their EV spaces are just 120v outlets.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

kitten emergency posted:

There’s a hospital near here that does the same thing, their EV spaces are just 120v outlets.

This is violence. I've done 120V charging when visiting family or AirBNB for a few days but screw that.

This reminds me that the Target near me has Volta chargers limited to 12A. Wow, thanks for the 2kW charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I'll still take a 120v outlet over nothing though, so I'm grateful for the gesture of an EV parking space with access to some power even if it can't meaningfully charge one.