Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Sure - of course but for us It was mostly lack of equipment like an IV to deliver drugs instead of crushing them up and putting them in water that he'd usually spit up, hoists to get him up out of the way to change sheets or bathe, etc etc and the support that a full hospital would have for the last 90 days where he was basically an immobile zombie staring at the ceiling with his mouth open. The hospice people would show up a few days a week at most go through some checklist and just drop off more pills, morphine and bibles.

Yeah, in their situation it was a 90-something year old lady who was lucid and could eat on her own to the end (and by the end they were bringing her fried chicken and all the junk food her doctors said to avoid in the past decade because gently caress it) but needed some help getting to the bathroom. Kind of bed ridden plus I guess you'd call it?

Either way, she passed with literally a BK quarterpounder on the night stand next to her and the most recent history book she was devouring on her chest, people thought she'd just fallen asleep for at least a couple hours.

Meanwhile I was party to a friend's grandma who died at home following a long bout with alzheimers and it was closer to what you are describing. Just loving hell for everyone involved.

On the third hand my wife's other grandma had some serious cognitive decline at the end and was in a home and it was a really good choice for everyone involved. She got scaling care as her condition progressed and at the very end had professionals dealing with the nitty gritty rather than pushing that off on her kids.

LIke I said, it's profoundly YMMV and something that is going to be extremely case by case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I want to die with a stomach full of BK Whopper with cheese

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On a related note, you can get Denny's Grand Slam breakfast as take out

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Terrible things have happened since the hospice industry went for-profit; there have been headline stories of for-profit agencies not visiting, not returning calls, and (critical) not keeping up with the necessary medications. There are still great hospices out there -- the people who took care of my dying father were great -- but it's a throw of the dice who you get, and it's not as if you can check Yelp.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I don't know why but I noticed the other day that none of the toilets in my house are caulked to the floor. Whereas elsewhere I've seen the toilets caulked to the floor. Google tells me that it used to be preferred for a few reasons, but those reasons have been debunked and that current plumbing code requires it.

Is there any reason not to do this? Seems like a net benefit to not have gunk accumulating under the toilet. But I don't want to do it after 22 years and trap stuff down there or something. I'm sure as hell not lifting anything up just to clean before I seal it off, so I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a "just do it" thing or "at this point it's better not to."

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

I don't know why but I noticed the other day that none of the toilets in my house are caulked to the floor. Whereas elsewhere I've seen the toilets caulked to the floor. Google tells me that it used to be preferred for a few reasons, but those reasons have been debunked and that current plumbing code requires it.

Is there any reason not to do this? Seems like a net benefit to not have gunk accumulating under the toilet. But I don't want to do it after 22 years and trap stuff down there or something. I'm sure as hell not lifting anything up just to clean before I seal it off, so I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a "just do it" thing or "at this point it's better not to."

When my first house was inspected the inspector mentioned caulking the toilet to the floor could hide leaks from you and it'd all just slowly drain under the house and when you realize something is up you'll be in much worse condition that if it wasn't caulked

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoubleT2172 posted:

When my first house was inspected the inspector mentioned caulking the toilet to the floor could hide leaks from you and it'd all just slowly drain under the house and when you realize something is up you'll be in much worse condition that if it wasn't caulked

That's why you're supposed to leave a gap around back

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

DoubleT2172 posted:

That's what I read was the reason that had been debunked. Basically the thought is that any leaks are unlikely to spill that far; they're more likely to soak down through the floor and be noticed underneath before you ever see water pooling around the toilet.

So with that, I read that it's better to caulk around it so that mop water/spills/etc. don't get under the toilet where they can't be cleaned up, which creates an environment for mold/gunk to grow.

edit:

A "bob vila" link:

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/caulk-around-toilet/

And a StackExchange link with a code citation:

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/68468/are-toilets-supposed-to-be-caulked-to-the-floor

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 19, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

obviously you leave the back of the toilet uncaulked becase it's a motherfucker to get to.

signed: the toilet i just recaulked

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Here's my horror story. Had some contractors in to drywall and paint and these guys were clearly piss drunk or high. Never before had I seen such atrocities visited on a toilet. They'd use a whole roll of tp every day, and the bathroom just reeked of piss afterwards. The smell of piss actually got worse a few days after their last day on site, to the point that I pulled the (uncaulked) toilet up to discover a lake of dried piss underneath the toilet. They had just been letting it rip in the direction of the bowl.

Anyways caulk the toilet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I absolutely always caulk the toilet to the floor, it gives a clean line and you can clean it nicely. To the same end, I'll be buying a one piece toilet to have one less gap that collects piss stains.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

StormDrain posted:

I absolutely always caulk the toilet to the floor, it gives a clean line and you can clean it nicely. To the same end, I'll be buying a one piece toilet to have one less gap that collects piss stains.

Make sure to leave a bit in the back of the toilet uncaulked. If the base starts leaking it'll be easier to notice. If it's 100% sealed the water has nowhere to go.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Hello thread. I need to replace my oven range hood. The one I have has low CFM so even when it's running at full speed it doesn't help a lot when cooking smoky stuff, resulting in fire alarms going off eventually. Oh, it also hasn't worked since like March (no power, I don't know why).

I watched some videos and got the impression that removing the existing one and installing a new one might be a major undertaking, and would potentially involve electrical work (I have no idea, it was installed by the previous owner). Is this something one should hire a contractor for? Or is it something I can do on my own with enough determination? I should note that it would just be me working on this, as I live by myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hoods are direct wired, so yes, there will be more electrical work than plugging something in.

Whether any of this is something you can our should do on your own depends not only on the hood itself and how/where it's installed but your own experience doing repair/replacement work like this and what tools you have available. It shouldn't be something particularly difficult, but if you're starting from "I've never done anything other than paint a wall" it's not likely to be a project for you to take on yourself.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Range hoods are heavy and awkward to hold up. You'll want at least a second pair of hands to hold it while you either screw it into place, play with the wires so that they go into the wall instead of being smooshed behind the hood or connecting the existing duct to the new hood. It is not a one man job unless you have the tools to make it a one man job.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Thanks guys, I'll start shopping around for help.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

skipdogg posted:

Make sure to leave a bit in the back of the toilet uncaulked. If the base starts leaking it'll be easier to notice. If it's 100% sealed the water has nowhere to go.

Yes thank you, it's always open by default because of:

Deviant posted:

obviously you leave the back of the toilet uncaulked becase it's a motherfucker to get to.

signed: the toilet i just recaulked

I just made a bathroom remodel design and construction narrative to review with a picky homeowner, please pray for me this meeting goes well. It's in the planning stage and already over scope and budget. And I want to eliminate a light fixture she loves. I bet she slashes a couple of the alts that make it nice, the towel warmer and possibly the grab bar. In the end though she's still my wife and I love her.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It is also possible that your range hood is improperly sized for the flue, or for the flue cap. I found out that because I was considering replacing mine, and found out that both the flue and the flue cap were much too small for adequate ventilation. You may want to have an HVAC person check that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

In the end though she's still my wife and I love her.

lolol

(also, how could anyone NOT want a towel warmer? It can only be people who haven't experienced one.)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Anyone know anything about fridges?

I have GE Profile PFE28PMKES. It’s a smart connected fridge.

Today and yesterday, I got a warning saying that the fresh food area is at 50 degrees and to make sure the door is closed.

Door is for sure closed, and the seal seems good, but the fridge itself is quite a bit warmer than it should be. The freezer is totally fine (and near the bottom of the fridge where the freezer vents is quite cool, there’s even some condensation that turned to ice on the floor of the fridge). Additionally, the compressor was off and no air was coming out of the vents fridge side.

I left the fridge open for a few minutes, and the compressor kicked on (noise sounded a little weird/Grindy at first but now sounds like a normal, quiet him) and I started feeling cool air come out of the vents. Things seem to be getting cooler but it’s hard to tell as it’s only been like 20 minutes.

Fridge temp is set to 36, freezer to 0.

For anyone who may end up with a similar issue.

Issue was that for whatever reason fridge side condenser and associated fan froze up too much, preventing the cool air from being blown up.

Took stuff apart, melted the ice, and we all good.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The PO put in heated floors into the owners bath; I added a towel warmer and heated seat bidet. I don’t care that we are on the top floor and it’s already warmer than the rest of the house… it must be WARMER.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

lolol

(also, how could anyone NOT want a towel warmer? It can only be people who haven't experienced one.)

Update, she was receptive to replacing the light fixture and replacing it with a lower powered LED recessed light, and did not want the towel warmer. I forgot about the grab bar.

And somehow I'm now going to remodel the reach in closets too. They're just rod and shelf right now and hers are a fright, it's a good thing to do.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

Update, she was receptive to replacing the light fixture and replacing it with a lower powered LED recessed light, and did not want the towel warmer. I forgot about the grab bar.

And somehow I'm now going to remodel the reach in closets too. They're just rod and shelf right now and hers are a fright, it's a good thing to do.

After this she mentioned wanting a STEAM SHOWER? No towel warmer but a steam shower? I had to burst a bubble, having priced out a couple this year.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Motronic posted:

lolol

buddy i live in florida, i do not want an anything warmer

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

After this she mentioned wanting a STEAM SHOWER? No towel warmer but a steam shower? I had to burst a bubble, having priced out a couple this year.

Steam showers are awesome. But, yeah.....that's a very specific enclosure you need, plus a `$2500 steam generator, plus running 240 30 or 40 amp, plus someplace to mount the steam generator........

If you do it, spend the extra $300 on the auto drain valve and pipe it in. I wish my idiot PO did that.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Inner Light posted:

Is it possible for cat piss or a liquid like it to even saturate studs once is soaks through sheetrock? Given years of that crap

My grandma was a cat collector (at her peak she had 50+ cats) and after she died my uncle took over the uric acid house to remodel. Some of the cats lived only on the roof so they sprayed all over the roof, some lived only under the porch so it's soaked in there too. When I'd come back from summer vacation there my mom would just toss all my clothing and we'd start from scratch.

He's at like...year 5 of the remodel now, having had to take the entire structure down to the studs (and replace some of them even!) and he's still catching whiffs.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Alright day one of cleaning cat house is wrapped. The living room, bedroom and kitchen are mostly cleaned out but still super gross - dead stink bugs and flies in the cupboards and stuff like that. All that's left now is the office and storage room, and the stuff behind the house like patio furniture. The best way to describe the smell is "piss covered leather and charcoal". The woman who lived there previous could probably be best described as "Bed, Bath and Beyond Liberal". Tons of tacky "Today is clarity, tomorrow is joy" type of garbage wall hangings and "L O V E" blocks and whatnot. Many, many self-help and "live your best life today" books, magnets of the Dalai Lama on the fridge. You get the idea.

Good news:

- It looks like there's actually a hardwood floor underneath the carpet and carpet pad. It's extremely dense and though it's stained on the surface, I've got hope that nothing got down to the studs. I'll find out once I rip out and replace those flooring sections and see.
- The former owner for some reason had two huge sheets of MDF board under her bed supporting the box spring that we can use to patch the subfloor, so one less thing for us to have to buy and get over from Home Depot, considering those boards probably cost $45 each right now.
- We found and bunch of stuff actually worth saving, such as screwdrivers, hammers, tape, power tools and money, all of which was kept in sealed plastic tubs in the hall closet, so no rat turds. There was also a nearly-new shop vac that we've repurposed to help us clean, which has been a huge help. We also found a bunch of unopened and sealed CBD oil, which probably costed $90 a bottle or more - my brother kept those.
- There's not a ton of apparent damage to anything, no gouges or holes or leaky sinks or anything like that.
- After getting a lot of stuff out, the smell is better. It's still doesn't smell good, but it smells better than it used to. We wore full respirators and hardware store hazmat suits, which was a really good call.

The bad:

- It seems like it wasn't just cat piss that was the problem, but also something possibly even worse: Rats and mice. There was a FUCKTON of rat and mice droppings all over the house, and I'm fairly certain that this would have been a contributing reason the previous owner died, the noxious fumes around the whole place it was creating is really intense. It was loving everywhere, in every cabinet and closet and under the bed. It's insane how much there was. We also found one mummified mouse at the bottom of a closet behind some shoes or something (I bet my brother $10 we'd fine at least one). I don't understand how someone could live like that, every time she pulled out a bag or pair of shoes from her closet she MUST have noticed that she pulled out ten little rat droppings as well, right? A lot of time spent today was vacuuming up thousands of rat and mouse turds. There were even some chain-linked ones, so those rodents must have been eating really good because there were some gigantic and long shits in those closets. The whole house is going to have to be giga-scrubbed and slathered in Kilz primer before we can begin painting. Our theory is that the food that the cat lady who lived there put out for her feral and stray cats was being eaten by rodents, who would then get inside somehow. The cat lady who lived there was a lush and took a ton of random medications and was probably shitfaced most of the time and didn't notice the noxious environment she was living in.
- The only real damage I saw was on a wall that was behind a bookcase, which you can see the paint layer has come loose from the drywall and is cracking.
- She apparently at some point was loving because there were numerous condom wrappers and condoms flung all over the bedroom. She never loving cleaned, we found some pissed-on sheets in a closet that had just been shoved into the back and buried under with shoes.
- I might not be able to fit everything in to the big rolling dumpster I rented for this, so I may have to get my brother's truck to get rid of a few chairs and stuff.
- There was so much rat poo poo that I had to go out and buy a new pair of shoes because the ones I had are basically covered in it now.

All told, I'm still confident that this will be a successful renovation that we can live in without a miasma poisoning us in our sleep. It's just going to be one hell of a ride. I'm taking video of the whole process that I'll edit together and share here when it's done.

My feet and back are insanely sore and I could probably just pass out for like 12 hours. I came home, stripped down, and took a long hot shower with a ton of soap. Going back tomorrow!!! Oh boy!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Please tell me you were wearing PPE during all that. :gonk:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Man, I want to meet the guys who walked into that place and said "yeah, this is a lady I wanna gently caress"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Start a thread, please!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm more confused by "had so many feral cats that we have to take it it the studs" living side by side with "there are rodents everywhere."

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Holy poo poo that's intense. It might be worth bringing in a pest control expert to determine if the rodents are still there and what's the best course of action.

Also I would be continuously emptying the vac of said turds so they don't stay in there.

I always wonder at what point it's worth putting in new drywall etc. I have a friend who had cat piss hardwoods and when he had them refinished he said the coating must have covered a lot of the smell because sanding them brought the smell out. His floor guy treated it with something and then recoated. Not even noticeable now.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

stealie72 posted:

I'm more confused by "had so many feral cats that we have to take it it the studs" living side by side with "there are rodents everywhere."

That's what I'm saying, but the cats were probably also eating so good that they didn't give a poo poo about catching mice.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Man, I want to meet the guys who walked into that place and said "yeah, this is a lady I wanna gently caress"

Who the gently caress knows how long those condoms were sitting under her bed for to be honest.

Sirotan posted:

Please tell me you were wearing PPE during all that. :gonk:

In addition to the painter's respirators (didn't smell anything when I had it on, they really work) and latex gloves (double gloved), we were both rocking these:

They rip insanely easily though, so we're getting new ones tomorrow as well.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Steam showers are awesome. But, yeah.....that's a very specific enclosure you need, plus a `$2500 steam generator, plus running 240 30 or 40 amp, plus someplace to mount the steam generator........

If you do it, spend the extra $300 on the auto drain valve and pipe it in. I wish my idiot PO did that.

I've never used one so I should probably continue to avoid them so I don't know what I'm missing.

You're right on the money on the steam generator from what my plumbers quoted on the last job. Plus ceiling tile, full glass door, and probably better lights than I want to buy. All in about $3500.

I mentioned having to mount it somewhere and cut myself short because there's an ideal spot in the hall closet right behind one wall.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Please tell me that you used a vaporize to decontaminate after you cleaned up everything. Also you need to seal the entrances to the house and then trap all of the rodents to prevent more from coming in. I would recommend type 2 poison which may be illegal in your state... Snap traps alone may not be sufficient.

Source: I bought a fixer upper and found at least 4-5 rats while fixing my place.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

I'd love a towel warmer (former Floridian, now Seattleite for 10 years) but our bathroom is so narrow that we have no room for anything additional. At least we have hydronic radiant heating so technically heated floors, which has been nice so far.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

ntan1 posted:

Please tell me that you used a vaporize to decontaminate after you cleaned up everything. Also you need to seal the entrances to the house and then trap all of the rodents to prevent more from coming in. I would recommend type 2 poison which may be illegal in your state... Snap traps alone may not be sufficient.

Source: I bought a fixer upper and found at least 4-5 rats while fixing my place.

No vaporizer, we just stripped our suits and gloves and tossed them in the dumpster, they actually did a nice job - beyond that we just kept our respirators on 100% of the time we were inside and took bigass showers when we got home so I think our sinuses are fine. Literally everything except the stuff we found in the sealed tubs was thrown into a dumpster, and we aren't even done with cleaning out all the poo poo yet. We don't even know how they were getting in but we're definitely going to put out some of those cage traps for a few days to see if any of them show up. I suspect most of them are gone at this point since the cat food dried up in August when the lady died. Now it's a matter of figuring out where the holes are that they got in originally. I suspect the dryer/washer vent is chewed through or something.

We left all the windows open overnight so the place can air out. We'll see how much that helps in the morning.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I got my partner a towel warmer for get birthday and we've had it hooked up for a little over a month, it's fuckin excellent.

We have more permanent electronics in our bathroom, the towel warmer and our bidet, than we do in our bedroom, just a single lamp. Lol

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Johnny Truant posted:

I got my partner a towel warmer for get birthday and we've had it hooked up for a little over a month, it's fuckin excellent.

We have more permanent electronics in our bathroom, the towel warmer and our bidet, than we do in our bedroom, just a single lamp. Lol

Not even cell phone or magic wand chargers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

suspect most of them are gone at this point since the cat food dried up in August when the lady died.
Rats and mice like to have enclosed safe places to sleep. Once they are in the habit of nesting in the house, some of them may find food elsewhere and then bring it home to eat. That's what happened with food free containers on my porch.