Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Really wanna hear someone actually unpack this theory that if someone's a 20-year-old virgin it's because their gently caress power is too strong, you pop the lid on that and you'll unleash an uncontainable rape monster. Feels like CWC talkin about The Beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thinking of meeting somebody my age and them telling me they are a virgin.

The warning sign is that I didn’t ask, wtf why are u telling me this on a coffee date.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I want to see the distribution of where teens lose their virginity. Home is bound to be the top answer, but when?? Right after school? HOW DO THEY SNEAK

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I once knew a kid that tried to keep his eyes open every time he sneezed and ended up making GBS threads his pants on the school bus.

Why were you wearing his pants?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I like that line in american dad where Stan says "isn't being a virgin a good thing?" and Francine coldly deadpans "No. It's terrible."

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Walh Hara posted:

Numbers are meaningless though? W.r.t. determining whether it's a red flag you need to know way more about somebody his/her culture and circumstances before you can apply such a ridiculous broad brush.

Plus, if you find stats that important then don't invent them: post a distribution plot to prove your point.

Boom, 90% laid before 22.

So I repeat, if you haven’t had sex at 21, you are an outlier. If you are 25-30 there’s something wrong, and people will wonder what.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thinking of meeting somebody my age and them telling me they are a virgin.

The warning sign is that I didn’t ask, wtf why are u telling me this on a coffee date.

Not the coffee date, but not confessing before getting intimate is a lie of omission. Virgin men need to be up front about their status because their partners have a right to know, and to be able to refuse consent based solely on that fact.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 20, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/caucasianjames/status/1461843582101295106?s=21

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

So I repeat, if you haven’t had sex at 21, you are an outlier. If you are 25-30 there’s something wrong, and people will wonder what.

I thought it was because I was asexual, I don’t want to be a rapist :(

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Skellybones posted:

I thought it was because I was asexual, I don’t want to be a rapist :(

sorry, to the morlock tunnels with you.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I (29F) want to bail before Thanksgiving dinner with family

quote:

My 2 brothers and I moved back home with my parents during Covid last year, and it's the first time we've all been home now since a few years. To note: for Thanksgiving we usually prepare the traditional feast and celebrate it just the 5 of us (2 parents, me, 2 brothers). All of us help out, and cook certain dishes, and it just feels really special and loving.

Also during the year, my parents throw big dinner parties (9-15 families attendance) a few times a year. But obviously we couldn't do any gatherings the last 2 years. Our area is 80%+ double-vaccinated, so they thought of inviting 4-5 families for our Thanksgiving dinner to start off the social calendar. These parties usually start out at 7pm and end right past midnight.

When I heard this was the plan, both my brothers and I weren't super onboard. I personally would just like it to be a quiet and homely celebration of just us like we always do, and, honestly, I am kind of tired of these big parties my parents throw. Growing up when I was a kid, I had no choice but to help during these parties (being a host, tending to the kids, etc.) but after I moved out, I avoid visiting home if I know my parents are hosting that weekend.

Even though the three of us kids weren't super into it, we understand that it's my parents' house and their choice. Also they've already sent out invites, so we respect their choice. I'll help clean and prep as the day gets closer.

However, on the day of, I'm thinking of renting a hotel room and just having a "me night". I.e. I'll help my parents prep until around 6pm, then leave alone and stay in a hotel, having some peace and quiet, and return next morning. So I'll be missing Thanksgiving.

TLDR; Thanksgiving is literally a day to celebrate being around your loved ones and I'm choosing to leave. I just hate these big parties where I barely know these people and often I have to sit and make small talk to my parents' friends' kids.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This virginity thing may be the dumbest derail in this thread and that has a lot of competition.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Wonder how much it varies by country. A lot, I assume.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

This virginity thing may be the dumbest derail in this thread and that has a lot of competition.

it owns lmao

More graphs! More graphs!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it owns lmao

More graphs! More graphs!

I think posting graphs about this is a biggest red flag of them all.

But I can imagine a goon busting one out on a date

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

And here I thought it was being a nerd who doesn’t talk to people and also having vulvodyna.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

If the average age is 17 then you are really really on the tail end by the time you are 20-21, like last 5% or something.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Hope you realize this is why I said "don"t invent numbers".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Numbers don’t lie? If the average age is 17 then you are really really on the tail end by the time you are 20-21, like last 5% or something.
That's not how statistics work. Let's assume the average is 21, becaunse it makes my life easier; you could fill in the slots with different numbers that average to 17, but my brain is tired. You get the numerical average by adding up all the numbers and dividing by how many numbers you had.

Here are two different sets of numbers that have the same numerical average. (16, 17, 30) and (16, 22, 25). Both add up to 63, divide by 3, get 21. There are lots of other sets of numbers that would get the same average.

Public statistics usually use the "median", in which you count up how many results you have and pick the value in the middle. "The median age at death was 35" means that half the people died before 35, half after. ( A result that low is usually what you get when a lot of children die of infectious diseases.)

So, if I had (15, 15, 21, 30, 40), the median would be 21, because there are two people younger and two people older than 21. If I had (13, 15, 21, 70, 90), the median would also be 21, because again, 2 older, 2 younger.

So if all you know is that 17 is the average -- either the numerical average or the median -- you know very little about what the endpoints are.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bringing my powerpoint to the first date to show how I got fiddled by my family doctor at 15 and am therefore in the optimal first sex age bracket and scientifically Normal

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Nah, nothing wrong, get over that bullshit.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

kdrudy posted:

Nah, nothing wrong, get over that bullshit.

Most women would disagree, which brings us neatly back to the original posted story, where the OP is NTA due to her very real and valid concerns.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That's not how statistics work. Let's assume the average is 21, becaunse it makes my life easier; you could fill in the slots with different numbers that average to 17, but my brain is tired. You get the numerical average by adding up all the numbers and dividing by how many numbers you had.

Here are two different sets of numbers that have the same numerical average. (16, 17, 30) and (16, 22, 25). Both add up to 63, divide by 3, get 21. There are lots of other sets of numbers that would get the same average.

Public statistics usually use the "median", in which you count up how many results you have and pick the value in the middle. "The median age at death was 35" means that half the people died before 35, half after. ( A result that low is usually what you get when a lot of children die of infectious diseases.)

So, if I had (15, 15, 21, 30, 40), the median would be 21, because there are two people younger and two people older than 21. If I had (13, 15, 21, 70, 90), the median would also be 21, because again, 2 older, 2 younger.

So if all you know is that 17 is the average -- either the numerical average or the median -- you know very little about what the endpoints are.

I know you need more info than a mean to know the shape of a distribution. look at the graph tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

carry on then posted:

Most women would disagree, which brings us neatly back to the original posted story, where the OP is NTA due to her very real and valid concerns.

Are you a woman

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

carry on then posted:

You can have whatever reason you want not have a relationship with someone, she's very much NTA, doesn't mean there's necessarily something wrong with the kid for being a virgin is all in saying.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

You've heard of 'fell pregnant'? Well get ready for 'fell married to a huge racist that uses the n word'!

WIBTAH if i didnt invite my husband to the holidays with my family?
Not the A-hole

So for back ground i (f18) am legally married to my husband (m21). Im mixed (mexican and black) and hes white. (this plays into context).

The reason we got married was because he did convince me that him being in the army would give me “benefits” and bc im dumb i fell for it and got married. Not to mention he didnt even ask to move into my parents house he just slept over one day and never left.

We got our own place and moved out my parents but i left him about 3ish months into out marraige and ofc i ended up pregnant. He was a major narcissist and i feel so dumb that i didnt see it sooner. Anyways hes stationed here but isnt from the state so he has no family or friends here. He really took a liking to my parents but well giving everythings thats happen my parents dont really want him around till my daughter is born.

Hes in therapy and it seems to have worked a bit but ill never get back with him after how he treated me and how he called my brother who mainly looks black the hard R. A few days before halloween we came into contact again and my parents and him met up on base and had lunch and spent a little bit of time togethor. He asked my mom what we where doing for halloween and my mom told him however never invited him. He texted me today asking what i did and i told him that i just took my sister trick or treating with my parents and he said “oh you should have told me i wouldve came” i didnt reply bc obviously he wasnt invited.

He always has tried to invite himself places with my family and i before we where married even tho he wasnt invited. Now im thinking hell try to invite himself to thanks giving and halloween but i dont want him there at all. I feel bad but at the same time i dont so WIBTA?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are you a woman

Yes, but only if it wins them the argument.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

AITA for not involving myself in my ex-husband's child life?
Not the A-hole
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/qxoozs/aita_for_not_involving_myself_in_my_exhusbands/
My (25F) ex-husband (29M) and I divorced a year ago after I found out that he had an affair son, ''C''(1M), by that time we already had ''A'' (3m) and ''B'' (1M).

quote:

Since my husband had and affair he lost any right to alimony or child-support from my part due prenup stipulations, he also lost his job at my dad's and the car. When he came back begging me for an opportunity he disclosed that C's mom passed away during childbirth and we were the only family he had, I was hurt for his betrayal but yet I still felt love for this man and didn't want to hurt a motherless child so I told him that I would revoke his mandatory child-support payments (because I don't really need them thanks to my dad) so he could focus on doing what was best for C and that anything he did (monetary) for our kids was welcome but not necessary.

The problem was that, a few months after the divorced he grew comfortable enough to ask me about how to ''take care of a child'' to the point where he would try to leave me with C while I explained, after I realized what was he doing and when I confronted him he admitted that he was trying to create a bond between us so his child could have a mom too, I immediately put C in his arms and said that while I was sorry for the loss of his mother, I'm not willing to play mommy of his affair kid and to never bring the subject again, he told me how unfair I was being because now that he's young is the perfect time to make an ''introduction'' and how awful will be for C to see his brothers grow up with me.

I felt pressured so I took our kids and told him to contact me again through a lawyer for any future discussion. When I got home I told my family what happened and while almost everyone agreed with me, my mom said that I was a horrible human being because that child had no mother and that she raised me better than this, my dad tried to defend me as well as my sisters but my mom said that what happened between my ex and I didn't had anything to do with an innocent child and she ''hopes'' I do ''the right thing'' and I love the child.

She's also pressuring me to buy things for the kid and make space in my home such as giving him a bedroom and all because she won't allow that I take my kids home and he's left there alone, but I said that I don't want to involve myself with him and now she's not talking to me unless I agree.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

What's the normal place to have sex for teens if they don't go to college and live with their parents? One person's house or the other?
I can't shake the class disparity latent in the question.

I lost my virginity in a house, but wed often just end up doing it in a room when my parents were on tje other side of the house, or outside, or in an alley, or an empty movie theater, etc

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

value-brand cereal posted:

Not the A-hole
https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/qxoozs/aita_for_not_involving_myself_in_my_exhusbands/
My (25F) ex-husband (29M) and I divorced a year ago after I found out that he had an affair son, ''C''(1M), by that time we already had ''A'' (3m) and ''B'' (1M).

Curious how the mom never offered to raise the kid and is instead guilting OP to do it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

“Listen if we don’t have sex by the time I’m 21 somethingawful.com forum user EIDE Van Hagar is going to think I’m an outlier so this needs to happen.”

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

kdrudy posted:

You can have whatever reason you want not have a relationship with someone, she's very much NTA, doesn't mean there's necessarily something wrong with the kid for being a virgin is all in saying.

There is though. Incels prove it. Obviously aside from those who were abused, or those who are dealing with gender or sexuality issues, or those who are physically disabled, among others, there is something very very deeply wrong with a man who isn't attractive enough to have had at least one partner by 20. Because that's always what it comes down to: you just aren't a good person. When the person who you have most in common with is Elliot-loving-Rodger, you don't really deserve love.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Everything that happens at less than 10% frequency is very bad and a red flag, which is the excuse I use when giving left handers swirlies.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

There is though. Incels prove it. Obviously aside from those who were abused, or those who are dealing with gender or sexuality issues, or those who are physically disabled, among others, there is something very very deeply wrong with a man who isn't attractive enough to have had at least one partner by 20. Because that's always what it comes down to: you just aren't a good person. When the person who you have most in common with is Elliot-loving-Rodger, you don't really deserve love.

Oooooofffff

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

lol what do u think an outlier is

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

carry on then posted:

Lol you're a loving psychopath

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

carry on then posted:

Y I K E S

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

sugar free jazz posted:

lol what do u think an outlier is

You, sitting alone at 25 reading manga and not having sex.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

On one hand, I'm annoyed goons still haven't learned not to touch the poop. On the other hand, it's hilarious how sensitive goons are about sex-having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

value-brand cereal posted:

Not the A-hole

I hope her mom "does the right thing" and shuts the gently caress up.