Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Bends must maintain 75% of unbent O.D. diameter.

*takes out tape measure "yup, that there still measures 3/4 inch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Probably even wider than it used to be. Job well done, boys.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Stanky Bean posted:

Still going strong a day later. So proud of my derail :angel:

Do Teslas have an emergency brake or a parking brake?

😅

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Teslas have an emergency break

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

I immediately thought of this joke too.

I always assumed that the hand brake was for keeping the car from rolling away if you parked your car and left it in neutral

No, that's what curbing your wheels is for

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
It's a parking brake you loving schmucks

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ah so that's why those are always labeled JO BOX

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Waci posted:

Teslas have an emergency break

It's an emergency when anything breaks on a Tesla, because it's going to cost a fortune and take forever to fix.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Funnily enough, teslas also have parking breaks and service breaks

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Concrete boys make do.

Delta-P
Jan 1, 2020

Uthor posted:

My buddy decided to drive his car with leaking brake fluid to the shop to get it fixed and almost immediately crashed. I asked when he didn't step on the emergency parking brake and he said he forgot about it.

I kinda wish I got to see how a foot operated parking brake would have handled the situation.

It's easy, you just pull the parking brake release handle, then shove it down with your foot. Now you have a second brake pedal, just don't brake that hard. God you all talk like you've never had a jalopy.

Better yet, in the rust belt areas the emergency brake becomes a parking brake. Keep in mind, nobody in flatland uses it on an automatic transmission car. You blow out a master cylinder or brake hose and use the emergency brake to stop. Now, that emergency brake hasn't been moved in decades, everything was frozen in the released position, now it's frozen in the applied position. Guess what, your emergency brake is now a parking brake because there is no way in hell that cable is moving, and neither are the rear wheels.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I learned how to drive in car that pretty much looked like this: a 1976 Volvo Station Wagon. Rear wheel drive, 4 speed, no power steering.

If it was just a little bit icy out, you could drift that car by gently pulling the handbrake and get out of the drift by letting it go.

So much fun, but it had mostly turned to rust when we scrapped it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://giant.gfycat.com/AmbitiousImpassionedAlbatross.mp4

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Oh my god

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Actually when lying down the weight is much more evenly distributed.

Just careful when getting back up.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

down1nit posted:

But have you never driven an automobile on weed, man?

every day :2bong:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The little crack you hear at the end lmao

Carnafex
Sep 6, 2006
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Deteriorata posted:

It's an emergency when anything breaks on a Tesla, because it's going to cost a fortune and take forever to fix.

A deer was just crushed under mine last night at 1am, and it leaked all the battery coolant! Guess we'll find out!!! :(

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

You can see it form too:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
And see :stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i mean it looks scary but if the ice is that clear you know it's completely solid to whatever depth it's frozen, so if it's a safe thickness, it's safe.

e: lol didn't spot the crack. uhhhh

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
8/10 on the ice crack. He should be pro enough to do the cartoon thing of skating a perfect circle so he can drop her in.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

LimaBiker posted:

I always call it a hand brake or parking brake. It's exclusively used for parking on a hill or when doing a hill start.
... I use it every time I park the car. That is what I learned in school.

I learned to drive in a fancy high-end car loaned out to the school by a dealership, but I actually drove one of these, because that was what the family owned. It's just swell learning to drive stick with your father yelling at you. On the other hand, it was fantastic for going to the drive-in.

At the time, there was a federal mandate that before entering the driver's seat you had to pause and kiss your knees goodbye. There was at least 1/8 inch of metal between them and the Cadillac that was going to crash into you.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i mean it looks scary but if the ice is that clear you know it's completely solid to whatever depth it's frozen, so if it's a safe thickness, it's safe.

e: lol didn't spot the crack. uhhhh

My experience with growing up on a lake in northern michigan taught me that clear ice forms in two conditions:

1) A super rapid temperature drop from above freezing to below 0F in the space of a night. Relatively rare and not going to give you the 4" thickness that's needed in just one night to be safe.

2) Super thin barely frozen ice from temps below 32F, but still not thick enough to be safe to be on.

Anecdotal and take it for what it's worth, but the only time I fell through the ice was when I ventured too close to a marshy area on the far side that had multiple springs in it and had prevented a safe ice thickness. Thankfully I was with my grandfather who literally grabbed (7ish?) year old me and yeeted me back onto the thick ice right after I fell through.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/C2IZtuf.mp4

Vegans trying to block the delivery truck.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

zharmad posted:

My experience with growing up on a lake in northern michigan taught me that clear ice forms in two conditions:
Yeah. Safe ice is cloudy ice, and has probably been built up in multiple layers. This is also true on sidewalks and roads: it is the glassy clear stuff that is going to make you slide.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/C2IZtuf.mp4

Vegans trying to block the delivery truck.

glad no one got run over, also lol

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that driver should get charged with attempted murder

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ekuNNN posted:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

ekuNNN posted:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ekuNNN posted:

that driver should get charged with attempted burger

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MEAT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

:vince:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ekuNNN posted:

That group should get charged with attempted suicide

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

ekuNNN posted:

The people who grow steaks are, legally speaking, better protected than a lot of cops.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That group should get charged with attempted suicide

never get between me and my burger!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ekuNNN posted:

that driver should have used the emergency brake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's probably safe. That ice is thick enough that it isn't making the laser noises that skating on very thin ice does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3O9vNi-dkA