Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Smackdown taping a by this time next year are going to be like:

8:00-8:25: backstage footage of the big dog arriving at the arena
8:25:830: Bron Breaker vs Dolph Ziggler
8:30-835: recap of opening segment
8:35-8:45: backstage segment involving divas (that term will be back)
8:45-9:00: backstage segment with Roman and the Usos
9:00-9:15: Dominic Promo
9:15-9:25: Bra and panties match
9:25-9:40: Kofi vs Eli Drake
9:40-10:00: in-ring Roman promo

2.1 million people will watch this and WWE will be paid $5 million by fox for this.

Have they been going nuts with recaps lately? I remember RAW was really bad for a few months in line 2017-18 maybe but thought they had cooled off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

When Reigns was on Fallon, Fallon teased Roman vs. The Rock so that dogshit match is probably happening.

when you think about it, the whole "acknowledge me" deal makes sense since it's pretty much what wwe is saying to the rock

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Penguin Patrol posted:

the battle for brand supremacy is happening 5 blocks from my apartment, maybe i should go see which brand is dominant

Don’t waste your money

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Have they been going nuts with recaps lately? I remember RAW was really bad for a few months in line 2017-18 maybe but thought they had cooled off.

I may watch 5 minutes of raw when I’m folding laundry on Monday nights. There’s always a recap of some poo poo that had happened that night.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Rock comes back and is being heelish so they can turn Roman back to face but then day of Mania Vince remembers it’s all for THE HEAT and has Rock go over Roman. Rock relinquishes the belt in a twitter post about noon on a Saturday a week later because he was never contracted for another match. HHH pushed for a match to win it back himself, but unfortunately is still dead

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

a cyborg mug posted:

Don’t waste your money

more concerned about the waste of time tbh. maybe i can send them an invoice

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

This is loving insane. They're either cutting people at random and at the drop of a hat, or just loving people they know they're going to cut for the hell of it. Either one is completely plausible.

Probably just brought them in to make sure they could make money off of them from those things after they were cut.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

shiksa posted:

after the year 2000 or so has there ever been a king of the ring that didnt culminate in the same dumbshit "king" character for the winner that doesnt lead to anything like, worth giving a poo poo about

King Bookah

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

the last great king of the ring

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
I'm watching Smackdown for the first time in years and I can't really even describe how off-putting and lovely this show is. This is supposed to be the A show? Does anyone in this thread actually still watch this on a regular basis?

Not only are the angles and the characters awful, but the show itself looks awful. The colour contrasts, how saturated the lighting is, the gigantic overpowering screen, the bizarre AR entrances, I can only think that maybe it's something that draws the eyes of little kids like those AI generated YouTube videos.

Sorry for the rant, but I was just a bit shocked with how actually off putting it all is, there's no way it looked and felt this bad 2 years ago or whenever.

Dekk
Aug 31, 2001

Penguin Patrol posted:

the battle for brand supremacy is happening 5 blocks from my apartment, maybe i should go see which brand is dominant

I'm in Fort Greene and today is literally the first I've heard about this being at Barclays.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

cauliflower jones posted:

Not only are the angles and the characters awful, but the show itself looks awful. The colour contrasts, how saturated the lighting is, the gigantic overpowering screen, the bizarre AR entrances, I can only think that maybe it's something that draws the eyes of little kids like those AI generated YouTube videos.

I've made the comparison here before but WWE really does look like it's turning into one of those "Pregnant Frozen Elsa Spiderman Finger Family Sirenhead Epic Prank" content farms where it's all characters you recognize but they're running around acting out badly animated scripts written by an algorithm so nothing makes a lick of goddamn sense and you can't fathom how anyone can be entertained by it but then you look at the numbers and the videos have 100 Billion Views because it's all kids whose parents just handed them a tablet and let them watch whatever the gently caress Youtube serves them on loop endlessly while they clap along mindlessly

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009

Drakkel posted:

I've made the comparison here before but WWE really does look like it's turning into one of those "Pregnant Frozen Elsa Spiderman Finger Family Sirenhead Epic Prank" content farms where it's all characters you recognize but they're running around acting out badly animated scripts written by an algorithm so nothing makes a lick of goddamn sense and you can't fathom how anyone can be entertained by it but then you look at the numbers and the videos have 100 Billion Views because it's all kids whose parents just handed them a tablet and let them watch whatever the gently caress Youtube serves them on loop endlessly while they clap along mindlessly

Yes this and the action and dialogue remind of those action shows on UPN from the early 2000s (like Highlander the tv show)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does anyone in this thread actually still watch this on a regular basis?

We just congregate here to talk about who got released and whether HHH is secretly dead or not.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Worked dead

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yes this and the action and dialogue remind of those action shows on UPN from the early 2000s (like Highlander the tv show)

Take that back! <:mad:>

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

much like another "king of kings"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eat My Fuc posted:

much like another "king of kings"

lol

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Take that back! <:mad:>

I take it back, I take it back. It did feel like watching a simulation though, I've never had that uncanny valley feeling while watching real people before.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Smackdown taping a by this time next year are going to be like:

8:00-8:25: backstage footage of the big dog arriving at the arena
8:25:830: Bron Breaker vs Dolph Ziggler
8:30-835: recap of opening segment
8:35-8:45: backstage segment involving divas (that term will be back)
8:45-9:00: backstage segment with Roman and the Usos
9:00-9:15: Dominic Promo
9:15-9:25: Bra and panties match
9:25-9:40: Kofi vs Eli Drake
9:40-10:00: in-ring Roman promo

2.1 million people will watch this and WWE will be paid $5 million by fox for this.

I have too much time on my hand and poisoned WWE brain.

Breaking it down best to each segment of the show roughly

Total run time of the :filez: I have is 1:25:03

00:00 - 1:50 Intro and last Friday recap of only Wood vs Reigns
1:51 - 16:22 Usos, Reigns, Woods segment
16:23 - 16:58 Recap of Sami getting eliminated last week and next match
16:58 - 19:12 Entrances for 4 way and Woods backstage
19:12 - 28:20 4 way match
28:20 - 30:37 Jeff Hardy, Drew, Moss, Corbin backstage seg
30:37 - 32:03 Ridge and Sheamus backstage
32:03 - 36:21 Becky Charlotte video package promo
36:21 - 41:27 Aliyah Noami Natty Blazer match included a recap from last week
41:27 - 48:38 Bruno Sammartina thing to hawk shirts, Hardy entrance, Sami Sonya backstage, Sonya yells at ref, Drews Corbin Moss entrance
48:38 - 51:40 Jeff vs Moss match and after with a replay of the finish
51:43 - 53:10 recap of the opening segment
53:10 - 54:17 Heyman and Kayla backstage
54:17 - 58:443 Nak vs Angel
58:50 - 59:10 recap of 3 weeks ago with Shotzi turning
59:10 - 1:00:30: Sonya, Shotzi, Sasha backstage
1:00:30 - 1:11:00 Shotzi Sasha match
1:11:00 - 1:13:38 Xia promo
1:13:38 - 1:16:52 Toni Charlotte backstage with a recap from last week
1:16:52 - 1:25:03 Woods, Reigns, Big E ending show

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

We just congregate here to talk about who got released and whether HHH is secretly dead or not.

He's dead and I'm tired of pretending he's not

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. It's idiotic.

Yeah it's pretty clear that the creative side has no idea what Khan is gonna do. And even though Vince runs everything, he doesn't give a poo poo and/or is senile.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

shiksa posted:

after the year 2000 or so has there ever been a king of the ring that didnt culminate in the same dumbshit "king" character for the winner that doesnt lead to anything like, worth giving a poo poo about
I'm not even sure you have to put the 'after the year 2000' qualifier in there.

1985 - House show where Don Muraco won, nothing really came of it
1986 - House show where Harley Race won, giving him the King Harley Race gimmick, which was eventually passed along to King Haku, King Duggan, and eventually Macho King Randy Savage
1987 - House show where Randy Savage won but nothing really came of it, as he won the King gimmick everyone remembers two years later in an unrelated angle
1988 - House show, Ted Dibiase, nothing came of it
1989 - House show, Tito Santana, nothing came of it
1990 - No King
1991 - House show, Bret Hart, nothing came of it beyond mentioning it later
1992 - No King
1993 - PPV, Bret Hart won again and it was mostly an excuse to start his feud with noted-non-King-of-the-Ring Jerry Lawler over being a "King"
1994 - PPV, Owen Hart actually used it as part of his gimmick to continue his feud trying to best his brother
1995 - PPV, Mabel turned into King Mabel and formalized the "winner gets a world title shot at Summerslam" thing that organically happened with Owen in 1994. Both the King gimmick and Mabel were gone after the Royal Rumble.
1996 - PPV, Stone Cold Steve Austin but it's not memorable for anything but his speech afterwards
1997 - PPV, Triple H, immediately smashed the crown on Mankind's head and continued that feud
1998 - PPV, Ken Shamrock, I guess it led to King Mabel coming back to attack him but by October he was in The Corporation and the whole KOTR thing was forgotten
1999 - PPV, Billy Gunn. I guess it kind of played into the "Kiss My rear end" match against the Rock at Summerslam, which could be viewed as a successor to the Lawler/Bret "Kiss My Foot" match, but is remembered primarily for leading to Edge's "Billy Gunning It" promos a couple of years later.
2000 - PPV, Kurt Angle, did the King Kurt thing for a bit, used the rarely invoked "I won KOTR, I get a world title match right?" clause
2001 - PPV, Edge, memorable I guess for the "Billy Gunning It" promo and that he got a trophy Christian hit him with to break up the team a few months later
2002 - PPV, Brock Lesnar, used the "I won KOTR, Summerslam Title Match" clause Edge forgot about during the invasion
2003-2005: No King
2006: TV tournament, Booker T, led to King Booker. King Booker was in a Summerslam title match, but he was the defending champion
2007: No King
2008: TV tournament, William Regal, he got popped for wellness violations a month later so it ended up not going anywhere
2009: No King
2010: TV tournament, Sheamus, he wore a goofy crown for a very long time
2011-2014: No King
2015: WWE Network special, Wade Barrett, he wore a goofy crown for a very long time
2019: WWE Network special, Baron Corbin, he wore a goofy crown for a very long time
2020: No King
2021: Blood Money Peacock Special, Xavier Woods, had a crown for a few weeks then Roman stole it and broke it

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6_bwfNDHTE

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah it's pretty clear that the creative side has no idea what Khan is gonna do. And even though Vince runs everything, he doesn't give a poo poo and/or is senile.

Didn't Khan all but admit he doesn't give a poo poo about the content in an interview a few weeks back?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The next 2K game will be released with a roster full of default CAWs with a new system that projects temporary faces onto the frames, then becomes unusable via 24/7 live-patching the moment a new batch of releases comes through.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Khan is handling business and content negotiations. Probably the biggest effect he had on talent is wondering why they had so many wrestlers under contract which caused Vince to rediscover his love of firing people

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

sticklefifer posted:

The next 2K game will be released with a roster full of default CAWs with a new system that projects temporary faces onto the frames, then becomes unusable via 24/7 live-patching the moment a new batch of releases comes through.

At this point they'd be better off just finding some game about Stalinist Russia and slapping a WWE coat of paint on it. Instead of people getting "disappeared", they're "released".

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The video game people are just going to snap and kill everyone. Everyone. Everyone on earth.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A little while back. And not to get too hung up on the specifics of this case. But this exemplifies something to me.

For all the talk of WWE being an evil company, that treats its workers and fans terribly. Doing horrible, heartless things that cause pain and suffering in the pursuit of money and/or the whims of an insane old man. And all of that is true.

This shows me something else. How poorly the company is run. How the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. The inconsistency of internal messaging. The lack of forward planning. etc.

And also how do we, relatively normal people, know about this poo poo? I don't doubt that many other big rich famous companies are run this badly/pettily. I would assume that most movie/record studios have a similar level of bullshit egos and insane internal politicing. But those places keep their dirty in-house laundry private. Or at least moreso than the WWE.

None of it paints the picture of a good place to work, or indeed a good place at all.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Is this the last 2K game? I can't imagine any company wanting to work with WWE after this year.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Is Ashante any good? I’m not too familiar with his body of work.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Is Ashante any good? I’m not too familiar with his body of work.
If you discount the alleged show "205 Live" his entire body of televised wrestling has been

-Losing to Braun Strowman in a handicap match in 3 minutes
-Losing to Killian Dain in 3 minutes
-Losing to Angel Garza in 2 minutes
-Losing to Dexter Loomis in 1m45s
-Losing to Velveteen Dream in 1m35s
-Losing to Jake Atlas in 1m51s
-Losing to Bronson Reed in 1m05s
-Losing to Karrion Kross in 1m16s

And then a few slightly longer Hit Row tag matches. He's had enough matches on 205 Live that maybe someone has seen?

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

If you discount the alleged show "205 Live" his entire body of televised wrestling has been

-Losing to Braun Strowman in a handicap match in 3 minutes
-Losing to Killian Dain in 3 minutes
-Losing to Angel Garza in 2 minutes
-Losing to Dexter Loomis in 1m45s
-Losing to Velveteen Dream in 1m35s
-Losing to Jake Atlas in 1m51s
-Losing to Bronson Reed in 1m05s
-Losing to Karrion Kross in 1m16s

And then a few slightly longer Hit Row tag matches. He's had enough matches on 205 Live that maybe someone has seen?

And only Garza and Lumis remain.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I may watch 5 minutes of raw when I’m folding laundry on Monday nights. There’s always a recap of some poo poo that had happened that night.

I remember putting Raw on when working out a few times. It was definitely possible to watch 30 minutes of the show that was all commercials and recaps.

I understand they get paid a lot for that third hour. But I am surprised they’ve never tried turning it into Raw Talk or something where it’s just all recaps and interviews about the past 2 hours.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Astro7x posted:

I remember putting Raw on when working out a few times. It was definitely possible to watch 30 minutes of the show that was all commercials and recaps.

I understand they get paid a lot for that third hour. But I am surprised they’ve never tried turning it into Raw Talk or something where it’s just all recaps and interviews about the past 2 hours.

That could end up being enjoyable and making sense, there's no way they'd ever do it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ganso Bomb posted:

That could end up being enjoyable and making sense, there's no way they'd ever do it.

WWE.txt
Vince gets most of his power and life strictly from our pain.

Yaknow I watch these clips and know Roman has a new theme now but EVERY time I see him I hear that “BaDum BaDum BaDum BaDumADum” and an overwhelming chorus of boos. Literal Pavlovian response. Good job wwe?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Grem posted:

Is this the last 2K game? I can't imagine any company wanting to work with WWE after this year.

No, those games make 2K so much money since they're the only wrestling game in town.

For now....

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

wwe should have a triple h memorial cup to go head to head with the owen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Orange Carlisle posted:

wwe should have a triple h memorial cup to go head to head with the owen

The Tri