Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

The key to Uber's success isn't the app, it's pretending that drivers are independent contractors and making them provide their own vehicles. The massive potential workforce this enables is crucial to their quality of service.

No, I'm pretty sure the success is the app. No actual consumer cares one bit on the employment details of the guy driving.. Everyone cared a huge amount they made taxis a thing where you click a map then it charges your credit card seamlessly instead of taxis being a weird complicated set of antagonistic interactions from start to finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think the key to Main Paineframe's point is the bolded portion of the quote.

Main Paineframe posted:

The key to Uber's success isn't the app, it's pretending that drivers are independent contractors and making them provide their own vehicles. The massive potential workforce this enables is crucial to their quality of service.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

silence_kit posted:

Yeah. The Goon Tendency five years ago to deny that taxis were terrible was at odds with my experiences with using taxis too. Called cabs never showing, 'my card reader is broken', 'I have no change', etc.

Reminders of the DC zone system make me break out in hives

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the success is the app. No actual consumer cares one bit on the employment details of the guy driving.. Everyone cared a huge amount they made taxis a thing where you click a map then it charges your credit card seamlessly instead of taxis being a weird complicated set of antagonistic interactions from start to finish

Consumers care about having taxis available on demand which is made possible via all drivers being 1099 employees

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nachos posted:

Consumers care about having taxis available on demand which is made possible via all drivers being 1099 employees

In an alternate world where traditional taxis had shifted to using a universal, east to use map with GPS pickup and destination maps and simple global payment and Uber had launched as "wave a guy down on the road then vaguely describe an address he may or may not know how to get to" I absolutely guarantee people would have been using the traditional taxis. There is nothing about the employment structure that made taxis have to be like they were.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

suck my woke dick posted:

And some major car manufacturers also haven't learned this lesson, what with their electric cars looking like a Tesla crashed into a spaceship into a phone shop. Just make a VW Golf but it has a battery instead of a gas tank, with exactly the same buttons and indicators as the regular Golf.
Uh... It's called an e-Golf? They were popular here, until the id.3 and id.4 came along? You also have bog standard Volvo XC40 fully e, Skoda Enyaq, Kia Soul, Polestar 2, etc etc

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

In an alternate world where traditional taxis had shifted to using a universal, east to use map with GPS pickup and destination maps and simple global payment and Uber had launched as "wave a guy down on the road then vaguely describe an address he may or may not know how to get to" I absolutely guarantee people would have been using the traditional taxis. There is nothing about the employment structure that made taxis have to be like they were.
Yea, several times I’ve deleted the Uber app and resolved to stop using them because they’re an awful lovely company and then inevitably I’ll have to come crawling back because our local taxi companies have apps that don’t work, switchboards that won’t pick up, and there’s just no alternative to actually get me to the train station or whatever.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The employment structure is how Uber eliminated the antagonistic interactions from the taxi system. They're able to fire workers practically at a whim, allowing them to maintain a tyrannical system in which drivers are desperate to maintain customer satisfaction lest they be fired at Uber's whim. Even fast food companies, notorious for high turnover and quick firings due to a large potential workforce, can't just fire anyone whose customer satisfaction rating falls below 4.6 out of 5. Uber's independent contractor model allows them to easily maintain significantly more active workers than they need in an area without incurring extra costs, which not only helps to maintain quick service but also makes individual workers extremely disposable. The secret to ensuring absolutely no bullshit whatsoever from the drivers isn't the app - it's the employment environment Uber created in which they have overwhelming power against the driver.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

The employment structure is how Uber eliminated the antagonistic interactions from the taxi system. They're able to fire workers practically at a whim, allowing them to maintain a tyrannical system in which drivers are desperate to maintain customer satisfaction lest they be fired at Uber's whim. Even fast food companies, notorious for high turnover and quick firings due to a large potential workforce, can't just fire anyone whose customer satisfaction rating falls below 4.6 out of 5. Uber's independent contractor model allows them to easily maintain significantly more active workers than they need in an area without incurring extra costs, which not only helps to maintain quick service but also makes individual workers extremely disposable. The secret to ensuring absolutely no bullshit whatsoever from the drivers isn't the app - it's the employment environment Uber created in which they have overwhelming power against the driver.

i agree with this but want to add it is not a sustainable strategy - uber and other rideshares had to deal with a driver shortage this year, as eventually you're going to burn through the pool of available labor if you fire or alienate drivers at a high rate. uber had to raise prices and compensation this year to lure drivers back, as while driving during covid was a big disincentive, the number one reason most interviewed drivers cite as a reason for quitting is low pay

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I haven't taken a taxi in a long time but back when I did more regularly (aside from just flagging one in the city), I got into the habit of calling 2 or 3 and always felt bad for the one(s) that didn't make it. I wasn't trying to be an rear end in a top hat. It was a safeguard against the cab not showing up and making me late for a flight or something so I just let a few of them race for it. No show cabs were something like 50%.

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

When I used to drive for Uber I sometimes got calls where someone had called like Yellow Cab, their dispatcher just used the Uber app to summon me with the riders destination entered, and then they’d take the rider’s credit card info over the phone. I show up, the passenger looks surprised my grey Honda is a Yellow Cab, and they eventually tell me they paid $20 more than the Uber ride would have been. The cab company also wouldn’t tip the driver obviously. So the cab company was just using Uber too, without even having the step of needing cars and drivers. How they didn’t leverage that to a billion dollar market cap is a mystery.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
All of my taxi experiences in the US pre-Lyft/Uber involved drivers who had no idea where well-known city landmarks were, or who intentionally or unintentionally got lost and added time to the trip, or who were either late or never showed up, or all three.

The specifics of the employment structure and making people use their own cars are how Uber and Lyft have made truly ludicrous amounts of money, but I'm confident that even without those, basic ideas like "make drivers actually show up for pickups" and "determine the route price ahead of time" would have led to them being smash successes anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Roadie posted:

All of my taxi experiences in the US pre-Lyft/Uber involved drivers who had no idea where well-known city landmarks were, or who intentionally or unintentionally got lost and added time to the trip, or who were either late or never showed up, or all three.

The specifics of the employment structure and making people use their own cars are how Uber and Lyft have made truly ludicrous amounts of money, but I'm confident that even without those, basic ideas like "make drivers actually show up for pickups" and "determine the route price ahead of time" would have led to them being smash successes anyway.

this. its just this. no one is happy about Uber exploiting workers but taxi drivers are exploited too. so are you gonna use the service that gets you where you wanna go, or the one that might not actually show up?

Uber had an app, taxis did not. thats all there is to it.

Taxi drivers were already exploited and treated like poo poo by the employer, thats why they pulled all the dirty tricks they did.

Taxis could have developed the exact same app and everyone would have been happy that taxi's were now easier and more reliable to book.

Ubers app is the exact opposite of the the taxi experience everyone was already familiar with. that is the single and sole reason it has become the default means of ride-hailing vs. taxis.

Uber absolutely could (and should!) pay the drivers more but is it going to see an improvement in customer experience and market share? absolutely not. so why would they?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Roadie posted:

Uber has not been making money off its business, and has instead been losing billions every year. Even now, with a massive increase in their bookings, Uber was still down hundreds of millions of dollars last quarter. Without VC money constantly pouring in (for some reason, they can't seriously still think they'll see a return???), Uber would have crashed and burned years ago.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
An optimistic take on Uber is that, by the time most people agree it’s trip into jitney cap purveyor is over, VCs will have spent ~100B to make taxi companies/drivers adopt an app and better business practices. If that comes to pass, I will start to believe in the power of tech.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Schubalts posted:

Uber has not been making money off its business, and has instead been losing billions every year. Even now, with a massive increase in their bookings, Uber was still down hundreds of millions of dollars last quarter. Without VC money constantly pouring in (for some reason, they can't seriously still think they'll see a return???), Uber would have crashed and burned years ago.

The sunk cost fallacy is a cruel mistress, and our collective economy is being operated largely by Wile E. Coyote logic.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Anyone who doesn't understand uber's popularity wasn't a regular users of taxis. I used taxis in 20+ countries pre uber and never once experienced a service that was as reliable as uber. You call a car at the press of a button, you can track exactly where it is on the way to you, the trip is paid for by card instead of desperately having to find an ATM mid trip if you've no cash, and the entire trip is mapped so you don't get screwed by the driver "getting lost". Thats why its so popular globally.

It sucks they exploit their drivers, they should undoubtedly take a lower % cut and/or pay the drivers more. But its impossible to argue the service wasn't a massive quality of life improvement for customers worldwide.

The fact its burning through VC cash at a hilarious rate is a nice side benefit, though.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

An optimistic take on Uber is that, by the time most people agree it’s trip into jitney cap purveyor is over, VCs will have spent ~100B to make taxi companies/drivers adopt an app and better business practices. If that comes to pass, I will start to believe in the power of tech.

An optimistic take on Uber is that by burning through $100b in venture capital cash and losing money on every single ride they've facilitated one of the biggest wealth redistributions of the 21st century.

blunt fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Nov 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, the whole issues with taxis was it was like pulling teeth to get the bare minimum of basic service. It's like the above tale of dealerships technically stocking electric cars but actively trying to stop people from buying them.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

London cabs were/are generally self employed pre Uber and lost a load of business to the better customer experience in through the app, so I dont think the employment angle is a strong argument.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Uber is minicabs (a well understood and reasonably regulated service in London) and Londoners acted like getting a minicab by app was super radical

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/Tesla-ranks-almost-dead-last-Consumer-Reports-16632996.php

Tesla ranks almost dead-last on Consumer Reports reliability list

Following a tumultuous year for Tesla including a company relocation helmed by CEO Elon Musk, viral reports of cars on fire and other self-admitted quality control issues, Tesla has plummeted on Consumer Reports’ annual list of most-reliable carmakers.

The electric car manufacturer now ranks 27th out of 28 car brands on Consumer Reports’ list, above only Ford-owned legacy luxury brand Lincoln. Much of it has to do with the overall instability of electric vehicles in general — especially SUVs — which Consumer Reports’ Jake Fisher said during a presentation are the “absolute bottom in terms of reliability,” according to Reuters.

But considering that, at one point, the Tesla Model S excelled so much in Consumer Reports’ own analyses that the organization itself said it was “breaking the Consumer Reports Ratings system” due to its excellence, the low rank is tough criticism for Tesla and its legions of enthusiasts.

Among the concerns Consumer Reports had for the Tesla Model S, X and Y lines, according to CNBC, were issues with “heat pumps, air conditioning” and notoriously, misaligned panels. It’s also worth noting that Tesla’s Model X ranked dead-last among all cars for reliability, scoring a 5 out of 100.

The issue, Consumer Reports’ Fisher told CNBC, is that the company has the tendency to “add so much tech that is not necessary.” And while this makes for a product that varies wildly from year to year, it is part of the Tesla brand that enthusiasts adore.

Note: The Kia EV I have is #2, with only a Lexus SUV ahead of it and a Prius Prime as #3. Win.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Related: https://www.newsweek.com/tesla-owners-report-app-being-down-locking-them-out-their-cars-1651495?amp=1

Tesla had an outage that locked a bunch of people out of their car and stranded them :laffo:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

divabot posted:

Uber is minicabs (a well understood and reasonably regulated service in London) and Londoners acted like getting a minicab by app was super radical

If you understand it "well" you'll realise no minicab service in the UK operated anything close to the Uber model, which is way closer to black cabs than the minicab "phone up and order a journey some time in the future" system.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Related: https://www.newsweek.com/tesla-owners-report-app-being-down-locking-them-out-their-cars-1651495?amp=1

Tesla had an outage that locked a bunch of people out of their car and stranded them :laffo:

For a second I thought I ended up reading something from 2019...........

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

blunt posted:

An optimistic take on Uber is that by burning through $100b in venture capital cash and losing money on every single ride they've facilitated one of the biggest wealth redistributions of the 21st century.
It is largely redistribution from venture capital to the users of taxis, not to the drivers though (the drivers are paid poorly when mileage/car depreciation are factored in)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Foxfire_ posted:

It is largely redistribution from venture capital to the users of taxis, not to the drivers though (the drivers are paid poorly when mileage/car depreciation are factored in)

I would have put it as a redistribution to the auto industry.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jose Valasquez posted:

The gently caress? Why? Why is that loving possible?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

Disruption!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Ah, a perfect example of just why we should use our phones for everything.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BigRed0427 posted:

Because the key still works like any other car.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Tech is forever, wall lightning and telecom signals are forever and never have outages.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Everyone wants every little device connected for convenience, and then is suppressed that doing so might set themselves up for heartache when their provider either terminates their always-connected device or fails to uphold their nine nine's service level agreement.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Because Tesla's gimmick is to introduce features that lull users into a sense of complacency and then fail with terrible consequences which then get blamed on the user

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

They weren't completely locked out. The key still worked. But since they could unlock the car via the Tesla app, many owners stopped bothering to carry their physical keys around, since they already had something in their pocket that could unlock the car.

The app doesn't directly communicate with the car, though. It sends the request via the internet to Tesla's servers, and then Tesla's servers authenticate it and forward it along to the car. If Tesla's servers go down, then everyone who didn't bring their backup physical key with them is in trouble.

It's just another example of how Tesla designs stuff that tends to fail poorly, and then markets it in a way that leads users to overly rely on the best-case scenario and neglect backup options.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

They weren't completely locked out. The key still worked. But since they could unlock the car via the Tesla app, many owners stopped bothering to carry their physical keys around, since they already had something in their pocket that could unlock the car.

Did "many owners" do that, or did a guy on twitter that article is using as a source do that? The key is rfid and comes in a bunch of form factors and each car comes with two credit card style key cards. There is pretty much no reason for someone to not just shove that in their wallet in case their phone dies. You need a pretty silly set of circumstances to have the app being down to stop you from using your car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Backups aren't backups unless they are tested regularly, and this is a perfect example of reinforcing bad user habits so that this occurs.

Also, there is no reason it should need to talk to the internet to unlock your car. That's just stupidity/data mining. If you MUST use your phone there are better ways of implementing this.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did "many owners" do that, or did a guy on twitter that article is using as a source do that? The key is rfid and comes in a bunch of form factors and each car comes with two credit card style key cards. There is pretty much no reason for someone to not just shove that in their wallet in case their phone dies. You need a pretty silly set of circumstances to have the app being down to stop you from using your car.

These are people who bought Teslas, they aren't known for thinking things through

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Tesla's servers don't even need to go down for this to be a problem. Hope you never pull over in a place with no cell reception.

https://www.vox.com/2017/1/15/14278516/tesla-stranded-cell-reception-red-rock-canyon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Motronic posted:

If you MUST use your phone there are better ways of implementing this.
But almost certainly not cheaper.

loving authentication from a central server is like an unpaid intern level project. Which seems extremely on brand with the kind of corner cutting I've seen from Tesla.