Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wooden Ocean day 2 trip report: Got through the first dungeon, which included the other two party members. Who are apparently demons? This is a game that does not even vaguely attempt to explain itself, and the characters seem to know a lot of stuff you as the player don't. Very surreal experience. The game opens up a lot after getting the other two party members, both explicitly (you're no longer stopped from exploring as much by dialog) and also because going from one to three characters really ups your combat potential. I keep trying to go in a direction, but veering off course trying to find loot, which ends up leading to more areas rather than loot and then more areas and then I somehow inexplicably loop back to somewhere I've been before or die when I accidentally wander into a too high level zone. I am genuinely not sure how much this game actually expects me to be exploring or not, but it's kinda interesting to be so lost in a game. I found some side dungeons with weird conditions that also include optional bosses, except you can totally avoid the optional bosses by playing Legally Distinct Triple Triad against them, which landed me some good weapons. After one excursion I died on after leveling, I found out this game apparently has randomized level up bonuses, which is kinda annoying.

I have a distinct feeling the game takes place in sort of virtual world, or possibly the afterlife, if not for the fact that various characters comment on where and what the afterlife is (the Infinite Hotel) and also that being some sort of primary goal for the main characters brother. I also found a puzzle that required me to open the game's folder and check the patch note to find the answer to, explicitly. Then I found some guy that sells infinite use bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sininu posted:

Have the last few autumn and winter sales had identical prices? So that prices won't go change from autumn to winter sale?

Depends on the game. I'd check steamdb and the price history for whatever you want to buy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Communist Bear posted:

Exo One made me cry :(

Awww I really must play through that, I kickstarted it way back when.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Eason the Fifth posted:

Edit - it seems like the consensus is that the ezio trilogy is pretty much the peak of the series (with a few other high points, like ship combat in black flag and, generally, Odyssey) so it certainly wasn't a wasted experience on my end. I'm mostly just impressed they're still making these

My father and mother bought my young son Assassin’s Creed 1&2 for his birthday because I said he was old enough (according to online articles) and they happened to see it as a bundle in Walmart (physical media! Zoinks!) while looking at tax software. In the PC section. See where this is going? :D

He had whatever the X-Box was then (360?). I ran back out with him later that day and bought him the X-Box versions of both games. I forgot to carry the PC bundle with me to exchange, and it probably costs me more to drive in to Memphis and Walmart than I could get in cash back, so I didn’t stress.
My Dad sat with us for a long time that weekend and really got blown away by the graphics and story while watching my boy explore AC1, so we never revealed their oops! to this day.

I ended up finding the discs a couple of years later, and ended up spending about two months playing both all the way through. It was a lot of fun, and both games are high on my list of all-time great experiences for PC games. I finally have internet capable of getting AC3 somewhere online (not possible then, hence buying physically 🤑), so should I? I can do my own research to get it cheaply (Steam, GoG, Epic, Origin, Amazon,etc), but any opinions on 3 itself would be nice. I’ve never played any of the others, either, but finishing a good trilogy is always rewarding. Well, except all three Star Wars sequels…yuck 🤮.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Where's a good place to find video game deals in general? I use the following twitter accounts but maybe there's a website that's better or something?
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals
https://twitter.com/Wario64
https://twitter.com/Nintendeal

as well as
https://isthereanydeal.com

edit: there's just so much poo poo on the 'is there any deal' site that it only works for me if I'm looking at a specific game. Not really for browsing deals.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

redreader posted:

Where's a good place to find video game deals in general? I use the following twitter accounts but maybe there's a website that's better or something?
https://twitter.com/videogamedeals
https://twitter.com/Wario64
https://twitter.com/Nintendeal

as well as
https://isthereanydeal.com

edit: there's just so much poo poo on the 'is there any deal' site that it only works for me if I'm looking at a specific game. Not really for browsing deals.

https://gg.deals/ for PC
https://www.dekudeals.com/ for Switch
https://psprices.com/ for PSN

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Thanks! Much better interfaces. I see SMT nocturne is half price. What other game does it compare to? Is it worth playing? how long does it take to finish?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

redreader posted:

Thanks! Much better interfaces. I see SMT nocturne is half price. What other game does it compare to? Is it worth playing? how long does it take to finish?

Nocturne is amazing, but do know the rerelease is a pretty straightforward upscale of a PS2 game. One of the best PS2 RPGs ever made, but still. If you've ever played Persona that's your obvious point of reference for the combat system, with that series being an SMT spin-off, but SMT is much more heavily focused on combat and dungeon crawling, and while the story and setting are very cool, dialogue and cutscenes are relatively sparse for a JRPG.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

redreader posted:

SMT's are their own things really. There's lots of Shin Megami Tensei games, most (all?) of them depict some kind of end of the world scenario. Most have various endings which are difficult to obtain if you do not know what you're doing.

All of them share a similar system: there are demons that you can collect like pokemon (there's even a similar rock-paper-scissors weakness/strength thing), fight with them, train them and then fuse them to get stronger demons.

Persona series is a mechanically and tonally lighter spinoff of SMT.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah they're generally also quite difficult compared to most popular JRPGs. Not so much that you have to grind a lot (although it can feel like you do if you're approaching stuff the wrong way) but that taking advantage of buffs, debuffs, elemental weaknesses etc. is expected. Part of the fun is running into a hard encounter that wipes the floor with you the first time around and then figuring out how to build a party that can beat it.

edit: and I won't talk anyone out of playing Nocturne but if you're looking for a more modern entry point, SMTV came out on Switch recently and it's absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately it's exclusive for now but signs point to it getting a multiplatform release eventually.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anyone remember some cool little indie JRPGs from yesteryear by Zeboyd Games? Namely Cthulhu Saves the World, Breath of Death 7, and Cosmic Star Heroine. They were super cool little indie RPGs with unique streamlined systems that shook up JRPG combat in interesting ways and made battles fun, while managing to be charming and funny. (Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death 7 are eternally available in a double-pack for only $2.99 that is 100% worth it for two ~4 hour RPGs)

They recently announced a small CStW sequel called Cthulhu Saves Christmas that looks like it will be coming out before the Holidays (No Steam page yet)

And in looking into this I also found out that they announced their next actual full game a couple months ago, it's called This Way Madness Lies, described as "A Shakespearean Magical Girl JRPG"

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

DerekSmartymans posted:

AssCreed stuff

It sounds like you're after PC versions so if you're not already aware, Ubisoft offers a Netflix style subscription service. It's something like $15 a month and gives you access to pretty much all of Ubisofts games, usually with all the DLC included. I assume this includes every Assassin's Creed title but probably worth double checking that before signing up.

Your computer would have to be good enough for the more demanding newer ones, but if you're primarily interested in AC3 and AC4 that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
As for the game itself, AC3 is much bigger that the Ezio games. Unfortunately, a lot of what they added is bloat that doesn't really add much fun. The story and protagonist are also a step down from Ezio. The game world suffers a bit from the setting, revolutionary America being mostly forests and dinky little wooden colonial towns as opposed to the grand cathedrals and castles of Italy.

However, the core gameplay is still there and if you're interested in the period then interacting with Washington and co should be cool.

Apparently the alt history DLC where Washington becomes a tyrant king is much more fun but I haven't played that personally.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Yeah that's that prime RPG Maker janky poo poo. I like games that are willing to go off the deep end, so long as they have a plan for the player to catch up. If it's just constant insanity that doesn't eventually make sense, I feel like I've lost out.

Fallen London's / Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies setting is a good example of what I mean where a setting can get really weird but maintains coherence.

I'll probably wind up checking out Wooden Ocean at some point. Will keep it on my wishlist for now. Thanks a lot for the trip reports!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Anyone remember some cool little indie JRPGs from yesteryear by Zeboyd Games? Namely Cthulhu Saves the World, Breath of Death 7, and Cosmic Star Heroine. They were super cool little indie RPGs with unique streamlined systems that shook up JRPG combat in interesting ways and made battles fun, while managing to be charming and funny. (Cthulhu Saves the World/Breath of Death 7 are eternally available in a double-pack for only $2.99 that is 100% worth it for two ~4 hour RPGs)

They recently announced a small CStW sequel called Cthulhu Saves Christmas that looks like it will be coming out before the Holidays (No Steam page yet)

And in looking into this I also found out that they announced their next actual full game a couple months ago, it's called This Way Madness Lies, described as "A Shakespearean Magical Girl JRPG"
I had to double check that I wasn't on a page like #1 from one of the previous previous previous Steam mega threads... then I had to double check the year of when this post was made, and it does in fact says 2021... :confused: I'm still really confused by this post, and uh, Cthulhu Saves Christmas did already come out...

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 21, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ripper Swarm posted:

As for the game itself, AC3 is much bigger that the Ezio games. Unfortunately, a lot of what they added is bloat that doesn't really add much fun. The story and protagonist are also a step down from Ezio. The game world suffers a bit from the setting, revolutionary America being mostly forests and dinky little wooden colonial towns as opposed to the grand cathedrals and castles of Italy.

However, the core gameplay is still there and if you're interested in the period then interacting with Washington and co should be cool.

Apparently the alt history DLC where Washington becomes a tyrant king is much more fun but I haven't played that personally.

One of the Ubisoft Towers that everyone knows and loves in AC3 is a flagpole on a shallow hill because there wasn't actually anything else developed around it

AC3 sucked pretty hard

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

23rd December 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah that's that prime RPG Maker janky poo poo. I like games that are willing to go off the deep end, so long as they have a plan for the player to catch up. If it's just constant insanity that doesn't eventually make sense, I feel like I've lost out.

Fallen London's / Sunless Sea / Sunless Skies setting is a good example of what I mean where a setting can get really weird but maintains coherence.

I'll probably wind up checking out Wooden Ocean at some point. Will keep it on my wishlist for now. Thanks a lot for the trip reports!

To be entirely clear, the game gives you pretty good directions and seems entirely fair if you stay on the critical path, it just also doesn't give a gently caress if you decide to wander around and wind up in weird void hell instead. There seems to be a bunch of sidequests all over the place too, and some unmarked ones as well. My one real complaint with the game so far is that save points are a little too uncommon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Assassins Creed 3 is horrendous and this is from someone who actually liked the Ezio games and 4.

Back when the AV Club wasn't the worst website on earth they had a really, really good pan of AC3.

http://gameological.com/2012/11/review-assassins-creed-iii/

"Here’s pretty much all you need to know about the first day you might spend playing Creed III: The 17th mission you undertake is called “Training Begins.”"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What the hell, it's the first post on their homepage and seems to indicate that it's coming soon, also it's not listed on their developer page in the steam store :confused:
e: Oh because they changed their name to "Zeboyd Digital Entertainment LLC" instead of "Zeboyd Games" which has a different developer page

Anyway, Exo One rules and it is to Tony Hawk what Rez was to Star Fox.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 21, 2021

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

John Murdoch posted:

Random tiny chill game recommendation: Diorama Builder

It's exactly what it says on the tin. It's voxel-y but less Lego and more Playmobil. No customization or free building, just patiently plopping bits together as instructed to make a neat li'l scene. After you complete the model you can play around with some minor interactive elements.

There's currently six dioramas to assemble, which took me 2 and a half hours to go through, which is maybe a bit limited but also the game is like three bucks and it seems like they plan to keep adding more over time. I'm pretty sure this is more or less the developer finding a way to gamify the tools they use to make their other games but I still think it's cute enough to mention here.

I had random card cash to burn so I grabbed this and did everything in a marathon session and it was incredibly chill audiobook/podcast fodder, thanks for the recommendation!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Ubisoft has its games on sale so often, I have a hard time imagining 15 bucks a month being worth it. Gamesplanet especially seems to have a publisher sale like every month it feels.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Awww I really must play through that, I kickstarted it way back when.

I mean it's a really chill game with a fairly subtle storyline idea, but I don't know - something about zooming about in the clouds with the music playing felt peaceful and lonely at the same time.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

RBA Starblade posted:

AC3 sucked pretty hard

It sounds like the op hasnt played brohood (or revelations) and is just assuming the next game in the series is called "3" though. In which case he's in for a hella good surprise because Brotherhood owns.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

TIL that Steam counts you as "playing" a game if you leave the launcher open. so THAT'S how I "played" 53 hours of Elite Dangerous since Friday!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
What a gamer!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

TIL that Steam counts you as "playing" a game if you leave the launcher open. so THAT'S how I "played" 53 hours of Elite Dangerous since Friday!

You're amongst fellow gamers here, you don't need to put up a façade

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Forza 5 may have some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard in a videogame, goddamn. The gratuitous Spanish interspersed everywhere certainly doesn't help either - everyone feels like a caricature.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

yeah the "here in Mexico, the only thing we love more than familia is partying, and wrestling, mi amigo" stuff is grating but it's better than the dialogue in Riders Republic, where everyone talks like an undercover cop assigned to infiltrate the x games to learn about a party drug that doesn't actually exist

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

can confirm, RR has some of the worst how-do-you-do-fellow-kids dialogue I've ever heard

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is it as bad as the guy being like "that was sick, let's upload that to YouTube" in like, Dirt 2

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is it as bad as the guy being like "that was sick, let's upload that to YouTube" in like, Dirt 2

By about a thousand times yes

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Karma Tornado posted:

yeah the "here in Mexico, the only thing we love more than familia is partying, and wrestling, mi amigo" stuff is grating but it's better than the dialogue in Riders Republic, where everyone talks like an undercover cop assigned to infiltrate the x games to learn about a party drug that doesn't actually exist
It's unbelievable to me people put this in a racing game and thought it was good. And it's not a little dialogue, it's non-stop. Like in the story missions, the people don't stop talking the whole time. I joked in the Forza thread, but my favorite part was the guy telling you how awesome it is to have you in Mexico and how mi cases es su casa and then you proceed to do jumps off ancient Mayan pyramids.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

what's even weirder about it is that the last game was in England and every mission wasn't a chimney sweep with a cockney accent asking you to do donuts around stonehenge

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Karma Tornado posted:

what's even weirder about it is that the last game was in England and every mission wasn't a chimney sweep with a cockney accent asking you to do donuts around stonehenge

wasnt the australian one very shrimp on the barbie

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Karma Tornado posted:

Probably because the devs are British. Also why most other games with English people in are exactly that stereotype.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Karma Tornado posted:

if you want that you should play The Great Ace Attorney

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You can't look too hard at the "plot" of Forza because it's basically a gentrification festival paving over local land and stealing loving cars from people's garages all over Mexico while being told you're just the best goddamn racer anywhere and a really swell guy to boot. It's easier once you beat the story and aren't constantly getting harangued by adults pretending to be teens.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

ah, I'd never played Forza prior to 4. it makes sense that the devs are English, because England in 4 was just played as a location and not really a theme. Mexico in 5 is like "we just saw Coco and really liked the art direction, what else do we know about Mexico? wrestling. the word 'amigo.' characters that talk about their beloved abuela who had a VW Bug that was part of her familia. we're all set"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anyone check out Myth of Empires? I see about 15 different game titles thrown out to describe it but it kinda seems like another Conan Exiles kinda thing?