Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

petit choux posted:

It's pretty posh.

ED: or that is, if you work in the Washington office. I'm not sure but I believe they do occupy the entire building and it's pretty comfy from what I've seen.

I was going to reply, "sure, maybe for the next 10-20 years," but there's a non-zero chance that global resource wars could mean AARP doesn't have to worry about rebranding for a world where sudden death at your job is your retirement plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

It's probably a good sign that a supervolcano eruption has gone from an apocalyptic scenario to something we're actively hoping happens

Yellowstone going is one of the most optimal climate change mitigation strategies we have left

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i see graphs like this and think, we really are sure that plastic nanoparticles are non-toxic right?

right?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for the Yellowstone truthers, claiming Yellowstone didn't actually erupt and it's all just a big charade.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

It's probably a good sign that a supervolcano eruption has gone from an apocalyptic scenario to something we're actively hoping happens

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i see graphs like this and think, we really are sure that plastic nanoparticles are non-toxic right?

right?

yeah don't worry we're sure that they're endocrine disrupters and loving us up

good news though they also don't degrade, like, forever, so our legacy is assured in Earth+: Plastic Edition :buddy:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

reminder you consume 5g of plastic a week lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

It's fantastic

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Jel Shaker posted:

right?

lol what makes you think we're even a little bit sure of that

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The idea that people actually believe in a "simulation" theory is a right solid indicator that people simply can't process reality. It's pretty much pure solipsism, the philosophy of a child that can't understand how things can be real when they're not in the field of vision. Incidentally, way back in the early days of the Trump farce, there was a poster that got real pissed and quit the Trump thread and I think the forums. They were a gamer, had a gamer AV, had a name that began with Sy or Cy and somehow that's how I always named them in my head. Anyway, they said in their last post that it was too bad because humanity had almost achieved objective permanence. I think about that now and then. We have never really learned to distinguish reality from our own imaginations very well, and in a few more years we'll be back to burning witches and attributing natural forces to gods that we'll create for that purpose. We are really dumb. We were on a serious upward trend and had we opted for something better than wild-west capitalism we might have had the juice to actually do something about our predicament.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fame Douglas posted:

Can't wait for the Yellowstone truthers, claiming Yellowstone didn't actually erupt and it's all just a big charade.

"Roofs collapse all the time and I don't care if I hack up whole nuggets of lava rock, I'm still not gonna wear a goddamned mask!" :mad:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
It'll be like this except a bunch of people hunched over their laptops or phones posting about how there's no pyroclastic flow actually

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Jel Shaker posted:

right?

I think I linked to a study somewhere in this thread which found thousands of different chemicals leaching from typical plastic containers into food and identified a bunch that are definitely toxic. And that's the "good" plastic.

On the other hand, they only identified like 10% of the compounds, which means the remaining 90% could be nothing I guess! :v:

Here it is: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.1c01103

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

:hmmyes: lol lmao

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Does anyone have a link to a study/article describing this? I don't not believe you, but holy poo poo.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

petit choux posted:

The idea that people actually believe in a "simulation" theory is a right solid indicator that people simply can't process reality. It's pretty much pure solipsism, the philosophy of a child that can't understand how things can be real when they're not in the field of vision. Incidentally, way back in the early days of the Trump farce, there was a poster that got real pissed and quit the Trump thread and I think the forums. They were a gamer, had a gamer AV, had a name that began with Sy or Cy and somehow that's how I always named them in my head. Anyway, they said in their last post that it was too bad because humanity had almost achieved objective permanence. I think about that now and then. We have never really learned to distinguish reality from our own imaginations very well, and in a few more years we'll be back to burning witches and attributing natural forces to gods that we'll create for that purpose. We are really dumb. We were on a serious upward trend and had we opted for something better than wild-west capitalism we might have had the juice to actually do something about our predicament.

this world is not reality

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AppleNippleBOB posted:

Does anyone have a link to a study/article describing this? I don't not believe you, but holy poo poo.

This is the study. It estimates plastic consumption is somewhere between 0.1 grams and 5 grams a week.

When they found BPA has bad health effects, companies just switched to using BPS, which is chemically similar but there's no proof yet that it's harmful.

Glass containers would be fine, but they're heavy and more expensive to ship. :rubby:

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

"A pivotal first step towards human health risk assessment"

Great to see this problem being tackled only about 100 years late

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm off vacationing in the disaster zone known as Vancouver till next week, glad to hear some goons got ahead of the rush from my postings. :3:

Such dire conditions here, the patisserie was almost out of mango passionfruit croissants when I arrived. :(

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rime posted:

Such dire conditions here, the patisserie was almost out of mango passionfruit croissants when I arrived. :(

itshappening.gif

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

T-Paine posted:

It's reassuring that we're about to hit the Praying for a Miracle stage of dealing with the climate crisis

Personally went through a phase looking into and working out as much as possible for myself what was actually required to achieve gigaton-scale negative emissions and concluded we've already hit this stage. Believe that phase is usually called "bargaining".

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Chamale posted:

This is the study. It estimates plastic consumption is somewhere between 0.1 grams and 5 grams a week.

When they found BPA has bad health effects, companies just switched to using BPS, which is chemically similar but there's no proof yet that it's harmful.

Glass containers would be fine, but they're heavy and more expensive to ship. :rubby:

“average person eats 5 grams of plastic a week" factoid actualy just statistical error. average person eats 0 grams of plastic per week. Microplastics Georg, who lives in landfill & eats over 10kg each day, is an outlier adn should not have been counted”

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Personally went through a phase looking into and working out as much as possible for myself what was actually required to achieve gigaton-scale negative emissions and concluded we've already hit this stage. Believe that phase is usually called "bargaining".

:same:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

scary ghost dog posted:

this world is not reality

Bad news, the world is in many ways illusory but it's still very real.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I still find it insulting that the media thinks an infant is eating more plastic than I am

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I still find it insulting that the media thinks an infant is eating more plastic than I am

Infants stick plastic in their mouths and gnaw on it all day, step your game up

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Good news, just cook all your meals in the microwave in tightly sealed plastic containers and you too can eat your weight in endocrine disruptors

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Nocturtle posted:

for anyone who hasn't, the first part of this 38 minute video is a run through of what it would take to capture gigatons of co2 per year. the second part is a run through of how and where we could store it. its a very dry and boring numbers/charts/graphs academic presentation. you can watch it in under a half hour at 1.5x speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6WjxL8anSQ

this is how i get my crack ping fix now, watching xan'd out grad students one up each other with nonsense presentations on how we'll create a co2 pipeline network bigger than the current oil pipeline network

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 23:10 on Nov 20, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Correction, this is actually good news.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mayor Dave posted:

Good news, just cook all your meals in the microwave in tightly sealed plastic containers and you too can eat your weight in endocrine disruptors

I tried to cook rice in the microwave in a "microwave safe" Nordicware dish thing, it melted and caught fire at the 25 minute mark.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, tbqh.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rime posted:

I tried to cook rice in the microwave in a "microwave safe" Nordicware dish thing, it melted and caught fire at the 25 minute mark.

You did 25 minutes of microwaving to cook rice? Is joke yes?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

there is far more to this world than we are capable of perceiving. we are all still in the cave, looking at shadows on the wall

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

lmao wtf, nothing should be microwaved that long. stove-top rice only takes 15m low+5m rest.

and yeah microwaved plastics is dumb as hell.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Rime posted:

25 mins on high power in a modern microwave (1000watt) is nuts. you boiled off the water and turned the rice into super heated burning charcoal

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rime posted:

I'm off vacationing in the disaster zone known as Vancouver till next week, glad to hear some goons got ahead of the rush from my postings. :3:

Wow... please set up a go fund me.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

mod sassinator posted:

25 mins on high power in a modern microwave (1000watt) is nuts. you boiled off the water and turned the rice into super heated burning charcoal

Mr. Lobe posted:

You did 25 minutes of microwaving to cook rice? Is joke yes?

It's 30 minutes to cook rice in a microwave. I was very tired. :(

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if your microwave takes 30 minutes to cook rice it's probably mining bitcoins for most of that time

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

scary ghost dog posted:

there is far more to this world than we are capable of perceiving. we are all still in the cave, looking at shadows on the wall

Close. We are dancing upon the shadows.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

It's 30 minutes to cook rice in a microwave. I was very tired. :(

I too prefer my rice in the form of a plasma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007