Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

black.lion posted:

Ah got it thx!

Follow up you reminded me of, I swear I got a notification while driving around (from leveling or something) that I had a super wheelspin, but either I missed hitting X or some other notification popped up and pushed it out - I went looking for it in my menus shortly after but it said I didn't have one...

Is this something that anyone is familiar with? Is it a bug? Or would a notification pop up about a super wheelspin that i... don't have? Like mb a notification about "yer gonna get this later mb!" or something?

I've had that happen in situations where I'd already gone in and claimed my wheelspins, but enough notifications were queued that it took a minute to actually pop in-game. Before the last patch, those didn't seem to have the "press the button with the squares" bit on them, but playing last night, that text was showing up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

KingKapalone posted:

Do these races require going in and tuning the cars before each race? I have no idea how to start doing that.

Yes, the idea is that it's supposed to be a silly challenge. There have been supercar-cross-country events in FH4. Tuning is usually not necessary, but you'd definitely want some upgrades - for this one getting four-wheel drive, off-road tires and off-road suspension is a pretty good idea.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Anyone have a car/tune for completing the Río Fuerte speed zone seasonal objective? I keep coming a couple MPH short.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

KingKapalone posted:

Do these races require going in and tuning the cars before each race? I have no idea how to start doing that.

If you don’t want to tune it yourself, you can usually take a car in the matching race category to the garage and go to “Find tuning setups”. More often to not someone has probably shared a setup named “seasonal” that’ll work better for those events that you can download and use

Deuterious
Oct 17, 2011
There's also usually a reddit thread where they will tell you what car to use and give you a tune share code that makes the seasonal challenges easy.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Deuterious posted:

There's also usually a reddit thread where they will tell you what car to use and give you a tune share code that makes the seasonal challenges easy.

Yeah this, for that speed zone one I used dudes c8 tune and got it on first try (after failing a bunch with lambo)

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Nitramster posted:

Anyone have a car/tune for completing the Río Fuerte speed zone seasonal objective? I keep coming a couple MPH short.

I did it with the Audi R8, since you can install racing slicks, the race aero upgrades and the widest tires, and still have some points left over for more power.

The only tuning I did was to add full downforce on the front and rear, and it only took a few tries to beat the seasonal requirement.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Shanghaied posted:

You can sometimes go into the menu before the notification shows up (for example when you are getting multiple notifications at once), and do the wheel spin, leave the menu, and then see the notification, and then find that you have no wheel spin in the menu. That's because you already took the wheel spin.

This is probably it, thank you!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

After sitting on how I tuned my last car in a way that actually felt good, I realized that most tuning guides dont give concrete targets for a lot of alignment settings which left me without a good foundation for even starting a basic tune, so Im going to dump what I figured out on my own that wasnt described by any guide. This is specific to road cars and assumes you know the basics of tuning (aka watch this video)

First is that antiroll bars should be something you find the "correct" setting for right at the start of the build with caster and springs. As far as I can tell, ARBs exist more to make sure youre hitting peak grip on both sides of the car during hard turning regardless of how well distributed that weight is. The grip telemetry window is great for this (and a whole bunch of other alignment checks) since it clearly shows when the outside tires are hitting their limit first, but you have to judge if this means the ARBs are too stiff or too soft. Too stiff is usually obvious since the available grip on the inside will be significantly less. These values shift depending on your other settings, so the first pass doesnt have to be exact, it just needs to be in the general ballpark of <20% max grip difference.

Setting initial damping is a simple process of setting front/back equal to each other (bump set to 50-75% of rebound as recommended), finding whatever setting doesnt skip you across the road surface or make the car feel soft and wobbly, then changing the front/back balance from there somewhat centered around that value. These are the settings I primarily used to tune understeer and probably the best way to set the feel of the car, and is best done in the cockpit so you can easily see when the car is bouncing around too much.

Once damping and ARBs are initially set, you can tune understeer very precisely using the grip telemetry window. The method here is take a hard corner with no throttle and see which tires break first. If the front tires are breaking while your rear tires are sitting at <60% peak grip, you have too much understeer. Youll feel if you have too much oversteer. I found that the front stiffness needed small changes but the rear stiffness was way more free to move around, even though you still have the limit of having the car feel too bumpy or wobbly.

After you have damping set to the oversteer you want, you want to return to your ARBs and set them so you get less than 10% peak grip difference. Youll find these somewhat follow the front/back changes of your damping settings. If the car feels too wobbly or too skittish, your average damping values drifted too much. If the car feels too loose, you added too much oversteer. If you feel the car is still easily controlled, open telemetry and see how close your rear tires get to the 100% mark, then iterate again on damping and ARBs. Once you hit around 70%-80% peak grip on rear tire (for RWD) and a mostly even split on peak grip between left/right, go check your tire temperature and camber telemetry to verify your desired camber hasnt drifted during all this. Congrats! Your basic alignment tune is done.

The order I tuned suspension from start to finish was: Slam everything to minimum, set springs to have good travel, set camber/caster, set ARBs in the ballpark, set damping to what feels stable, iterate ARBs and damping until I get the oversteer I want, and recheck springs/camber/caster. Fine tuning is just a matter of repeating these iterations. Fine tuning is also when you can stiffen your ARBs a little more to sacrifice peak grip for stability.

Once I hit this point for the first time, it felt like my third eye opened. I still did a whole lot more tweaking, but the amounts needed were small and I felt like I had way more freedom to adjust the more foundational stuff like springs, caster, toe, etc. without completely ruining the feel of the car.

Some other misc things I found, brake balance is a simple task of adjusting balance until you see all tires lose grip at roughly the same time, then adding 1% more to the front to ensure you dont spin out when you lock up. On sportier track cars that can run low camber, sometimes you cant get tires to heat evenly without occasionally dipping into positive camber on turns, so caster can sometimes be a way to deal with camber issues if you can deal with the handling change (and youll want to, because it turns these cars into go karts). And finally, decel differential has the practical effect of slowing how quick your tires hit peak grip in a corner, so it introduces understeer that decays the further you are into a turn (just to demystify wtf it actually does since most people dont talk much about it).

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 20, 2021

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Nitramster posted:

I used a Nissan GTR with some tune or other, I had to swap out my original tune for one with more grip though, as the one I had originally wasn’t cutting it.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
For some reason I decided to try the 4x4/pickup seasonal with the Hennessey Velociraptor, that big stupid 6 wheel truck. Big mistake, after spending like 600k buying and upgrading, and downloading a tune from someone who I'm pretty sure makes good tunes, the thing drives like complete poo poo, it's like driving a goddamn 18 wheeler. Can barely turn at all, but I don't think it's understeer, it just has an atrocious turn radius. So I immediately put it on the auction house, hopefully I can get most of my money back. I've never felt so ripped off in Forza lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can buy Deloreans right now for $192k in the auction house and they sell within seconds of being listed. The prices on them should start adjusting up pretty sharply.

Just search Delorean and max buyout $200k and be ready to snatch anything that appears.

I picked up 10, but it would be a good idea to have at least one in case they hit $20m, for the accolade.

People also seem to be willing to pay nearly $3m for the Diablo GTR and RWB 911 which are in the mastery trees of the Diablo SV and 964 GT2. Seems kind of silly. Not sure if that's more worthwhile than finding another car with super wheelspins in terms of dollar per skill point.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 20, 2021

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Powershift posted:

You can buy Deloreans right now for $192k in the auction house and they sell within seconds of being listed. The prices on them should start adjusting up pretty sharply.

??? Does the auction house have dynamic buyout pricing or something?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Control Volume posted:

??? Does the auction house have dynamic buyout pricing or something?

Yes. the minimum is 10% of the car's value. the maximum increases if cars are sold more frequently, decreases if they don't sell until an equilibrium is found.

When i checked the other day you could only list the RWB 911 for $165K, now you can list it for $3.2m
The Trueno is up to $625k so there must be some selling.

Cars exclusive to a seasonal reward generally increase until it's offered in another season, or in the forzathon store. There is now a set amount of Deloreans out there. and as more people join the game and want them, demand increases but the supply stays the same.

This season's 84 civic is already at 1.349m and they seem to sell immediately at that.

once this season is over, the only way for someone who didn't earn one to get one is to buy one somebody else earned.

e: tried to buy around 10 84 civics by constantly refreshing and lost every single one. there must be people with sniping programs or keyboard macros or something.

e2: maybe just bad luck, just hit 4 in a row.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 20, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Finally got the Xbox Console Companion to install, it refused for a week.

Request for GRCC under Skooma889.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
The game just came out a few days ago, didn't it? How are there already cars that are locked out of earning during the season? I didn't have time to install the game until yesterday.

Oh well. I bought two DeLoreans at the 192k buyout, and that's all I can afford. I'm just happy I got one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

The game just came out a few days ago, didn't it? How are there already cars that are locked out of earning during the season? I didn't have time to install the game until yesterday.

Oh well. I bought two DeLoreans at the 192k buyout, and that's all I can afford. I'm just happy I got one.

It has already been over a week since the wide release.

There is 1 season per week, at least 1 exclusive car per season. The car may not come up again for another 6 months.

Near the end of FH4, they added horizon backstage where you could earn a ticket for a car as a season reward, and everybody could vote on which cars became available in the ticket shop which increased the availability of some cars, but of course lame rear end supercars always won the vote. stuff like the Maserati SUV and CRX never came up.

there were 228 cars cut from FH4, many of which were just added in the last game, and are from manufacturers already in FH5. There were 15 porsches cut. most of these cars are likely to be drip-fed back in, so at 2 a week it could be over a year before a car repeats.

what sucks is that a lot of the cars removed were already hard to buy FH4.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Horizon "Issue?"

I'm trying to do the seasonal stuff and things aren't checking off when they're supposed to. The previous one with the GTR I couldn't complete because it would not give me credit for the drift achievements (I quintriple checked everything and did the races multiple times) and now I can't complete the Danger Zone jump off the Caldera OR the Classic Racer Speed Trap at the Horizon Dragstrip. I'm FAIRLY sure I've done enough to finish them but it keeps saying like "Jump 1ft more to complete this challenge!" or "go 1mph more to complete the challenge!" no matter what I do.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

robotsinmyhead posted:

Horizon "Issue?"

I'm trying to do the seasonal stuff and things aren't checking off when they're supposed to. The previous one with the GTR I couldn't complete because it would not give me credit for the drift achievements (I quintriple checked everything and did the races multiple times) and now I can't complete the Danger Zone jump off the Caldera OR the Classic Racer Speed Trap at the Horizon Dragstrip. I'm FAIRLY sure I've done enough to finish them but it keeps saying like "Jump 1ft more to complete this challenge!" or "go 1mph more to complete the challenge!" no matter what I do.

Close and relaunch the game; it's a known (and lovely) glitch

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

restarting the game usually fixes the "jump 1 more meter" thing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Random traffic on time trial events can piss off, thanks game.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

xzzy posted:

Random traffic on time trial events can piss off, thanks game.

Are you talking about PR stunts? Pretty sure those make the NPC cars ghost when you enter one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Are you talking about PR stunts? Pretty sure those make the NPC cars ghost when you enter one.

Well specifically the first luchador mission but I haven't played the whole game so I can only assume it happens at other points too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Man the 12-star Trailblazers stuff with the beetle for the weekly challenge is kicking my rear end. While I love keeping it at D class that obviously won't cut it so I grabbed a tune that makes it into an S2 that's also worthlessly unsteerable. Bleh.

Got the all-roads achievement this morning at least. Woo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

xzzy posted:

Well specifically the first luchador mission but I haven't played the whole game so I can only assume it happens at other points too.

Oh thats street racing, thats different. You have to keep it too fast, and too furious

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Thank you!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm really loving the barn-find Toyota Baja Truck. I think I've got it at S1 or S2, and the drat thing is a beast. I feel that I've only ever got marginal control of it at best at any given time. Just tears across the landscape loving things up, always on the edge of losing control.

I'm just a passenger along for the ride, the truck is mostly in control.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This weird Bug with the numbers on it is a miserable pile of poo poo. It feels awful in every speed class. Thank god that seasonal challenge for it is only 5 points. I wish you could burn cars in this game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tayter Swift posted:

Man the 12-star Trailblazers stuff with the beetle for the weekly challenge is kicking my rear end. While I love keeping it at D class that obviously won't cut it so I grabbed a tune that makes it into an S2 that's also worthlessly unsteerable. Bleh.

Try the "Escape the city" one. It's the one in the middle of the big town and is super short and super easy to 3-star as long as you can take the two (!) 90 degrees turns it requires. Everything is just short straight lines. Repeat 4 times and you're done.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have not lost connection to the servers in like 5 days and i did a bunch of horizon open without getting booted the other day. any goons wanna convoy up and do some open racing/horizon tour/trial/ whatever in like half an hour?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

yeah I'd be down for that. sneep2000 is my gamertag (for gamers)

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
convoy me anytime bb GT: robocratic

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

Here is the tune I used 817 957 502 A class. And I did the Quebrada gate. Get a good head start from the north and it's pretty easy.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This rain storm is so bad I can barely even hear my car lol.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Has anyone figured out why adding better parts to cars will occasionally drop some of the "scores" for things like breaking or acceleration?

The one I keep noticing is that adding engine upgrades or better brakes makes the handling stat turn red (although the number only rarely seems to change), which makes zero sense because the parts don't make the car any heavier, and usually subtract some weight.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

azflyboy posted:

Has anyone figured out why adding better parts to cars will occasionally drop some of the "scores" for things like breaking or acceleration?

The one I keep noticing is that adding engine upgrades or better brakes makes the handling stat turn red (although the number only rarely seems to change), which makes zero sense because the parts don't make the car any heavier, and usually subtract some weight.

Adding those parts makes the car slightly heavier, so those stats drop a tiny amount. Sometimes they drop enough to cross a threshold and drop a whole decimal point.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Game keeps crashing when I try to join a party l m a o

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

just try joining the convoy then

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just finished The Titan. Impressive how it's worse than pretty much every other Cross Country track when so many of them are awful. The course features several jumps where you have to brake beforehand or you'll overshoot a checkpoint, and you won't know that until after the jump. Rewind exists, sure, but it's a bad experience nevertheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the titan is literally just a bunch of other cross country track stuck together, all those jumps exist in those other tracks