Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Raithe posted:

An outside observation, but the only time I hear it is on US election night and blue (internet) strongholds decry the "rednecks" and "morons" in the sparsely populated red states, but even then it's not farmers specifically I guess.

But the internet isn't real life.

I think they're just misinformed. They hate the farming industry, not the farmers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

scott zoloft posted:

This is what i mean. Someone made the mistake of saying estrogen and that's the part you choose to cling onto and ignore any other aspect of the behavior being potentially harmful. And to me that becomes more telling of where your heads at than whether or not mainlining thc and sitting on your rear end actually promotes estrogen production. Think of it more a metaphor for something else that will make you grow tits
Congrats, I thought it was impossible to make a number post than that guy's original one, but you have.

"ACTUALLY THE ESTROGEN WAS A METAPHOR ALL ALONG"

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Congrats, I thought it was impossible to make a number post than that guy's original one, but you have.

Lot of goalies showing up to the net

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think they're just misinformed. They hate the farming industry, not the farmers
I see this pop up in so many aspects of right vs left rhetoric.
"The military industrial complex is awful"
They hate the troops!

"Coal is destroying the planet"
They hate small towns!

"Corporations need to pay taxes"
They hate small business owners!

"Using private property to extract wealth from poor people is bad"
They want to take your house!

A lot of leftist ideas require a lot of nuance, and fox news just cuts all that into angry strawman.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Hey come on man, get with the program. In this thread we are stating that left wing people are agnostic wrt the politics of food and agriculture

edit: growing up, I had no idea that there were politics surrounding food and agriculture until I moved to a wealthy West Coast city

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 20, 2021

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

eSporks posted:

I see this pop up in so many aspects of right vs left rhetoric.
"The military industrial complex is awful"
They hate the troops!

"Coal is destroying the planet"
They hate small towns!

"Corporations need to pay taxes"
They hate small business owners!

"Using private property to extract wealth from poor people is bad"
They want to take your house!

A lot of leftist ideas require a lot of nuance, and fox news just cuts all that into angry strawman.

nuance is hard and i'm angry now

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

farmers export soy and corn into savage foreign countries to keep them stupid, liberal and full of estrogen. They are our first line of defense against the unwashed hordes that would destroy our way of life

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

farmers export soy and corn into savage foreign countries to keep them stupid, liberal and full of estrogen. They are our first line of defense against the unwashed hordes that would destroy our way of life

:hai:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Nuclear power is new, clear power and there is a grand liberal conspiracy to hide this from the people

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...

"The best person for the job should be hired"
White supremacy! Sexism!

"People should be held accountable for their actions"
Fascism! ACAB!

"Business owners should reap the benefits of their operation"
Eat the rich!

I had to look horseshoe theory up last night. Yeah, it's pretty dumb from an ideological standpoint, but the extremes of the left and right sure do look and sound similar. Nuance can't survive in absolute discussions. I like eat the rich especially. How rich? At what point is one eaten? $999,999.99?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Raithe posted:

White supremacy! Sexism!

Fascism! ACAB!

Eat the rich!

I had to look horseshoe theory up last night. Yeah, it's pretty dumb from an ideological standpoint, but the extremes of the left and right sure do look and sound similar. Nuance can't survive in absolute discussions. I like eat the rich especially. How rich? At what point is one eaten? $999,999.99?

are you just pretending to be dumb or actually dumb?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Raithe posted:

White supremacy! Sexism!

Fascism! ACAB!

Eat the rich!

Let's start with $1billion and above, see where that leaves us afterwards.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Nuance is for the weak, you either go hard on left or right or you go home!

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Is the weird hair-dye obsession some sort of fetish thing?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Piss is stored in the balls

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Raithe posted:

White supremacy! Sexism!

Fascism! ACAB!

Eat the rich!

Whoever has more than me.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

Piss is stored in the balls

that's not political. It's science

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I am in addition to being the worlds greatest at making GBS threads, also the world champion at pissing, my streams of strength, volume, and duration unmatched

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I was thinking about it more and it makes sense given the lens the left and right generally use. The left tries to talk about systems, while the right is focused on individuals.

Raithe posted:

White supremacy! Sexism!

Fascism! ACAB!

Eat the rich!

What? None of the "conservative" points you listed are nuanced, or even something that a person on the left would disagree with. You are using the dumbed down talking points that conservatives use to negate more nuanced ideas.

It's more like:
"There are systemic issues in hiring practices such as resumes with ethnic sounding names getting screened"
I know a guy who got turned down a job and they gave it to a POC! Reverse racism!

"Cops as an institution perpetuate violence and exploit the poor keeping them in poverty"
You just want to protect criminals and remove accountability.

I don't have one for the last one, except that only reason a business owner deserves anything more than their workers is because of risk. We've also largely removed risk at the corporate level, and risk is mostly a function of capital.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Raithe posted:

White supremacy! Sexism!

Fascism! ACAB!

Eat the rich!

The left doesn't mean *literally* eat the rich. It's a metaphor. Like estrogen.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

OhAreThey posted:

The left doesn't mean *literally* eat the rich. It's a metaphor. Like estrogen.

I literally mean eat the rich. I bet they're soft and tender, like lamb.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:
I have been reading this thread to fall asleep for the last week and it’s been a wild ride.

I have really appreciated everyone in this thread posting in earnest. I’ve found it more and more difficult to know what anyone actually thinks, how many people are choosing silence over conflict, or even knowing who is publicly advocating for things as a social behavior.

I think it’s painful sometimes, but this really is the only way forward I can think of besides people isolating into smaller groups or just staying completely silent and letting others direct the conversation.

To contribute I will admit that I am vaccine hesitant. (I have not told anyone besides my partner and it is actually hard to type.) I DID GET both doses almost as soon as I could and will be getting a booster, but I do not like the idea of being in the first decade or two of people trying a new medicine or anything like that.

I deal with several elderly people in my life so I felt it was important to do it early especially since I was going places indoors. But I deeply empathize with a anyone concerned about what could go wrong.

I will say I have really really researched it and I think if your specific concern is the mRNA thing I had similar concerns and no longer have them. It is smart to question everything, but after really looking at it for a while I would bet big on it being completely safe. If you haven’t gotten it yet I would say at this point it feels incredibly safe to me. If you are feeling more open scheduling an appointment is super easy now and there is like no wait or problem.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

pop punk posted:

I have really appreciated everyone in this thread posting in earnest.

you take that back!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Raithe posted:

White supremacy! Sexism!

Fascism! ACAB!

Eat the rich!

I’ll eat you.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

:yeah:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I literally mean eat the rich. I bet they're soft and tender, like lamb.

But the you'll be consuming the estrogen :ohdear:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

I have enough extrogen to counter it

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

the fat triggered neon haired liberal elites earned their money fair and square.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

All upside then.

Raithe
Apr 17, 2008

Don't worry: I've got the moon covered...

eSporks posted:

I was thinking about it more and it makes sense given the lens the left and right generally use. The left tries to talk about systems, while the right is focused on individuals.

I see the opposite more often than not.

eSporks posted:

What? None of the "conservative" points you listed are nuanced, or even something that a person on the left would disagree with. You are using the dumbed down talking points that conservatives use to negate more nuanced ideas.

It's more like:
"There are systemic issues in hiring practices such as resumes with ethnic sounding names getting screened"
I know a guy who got turned down a job and they gave it to a POC! Reverse racism!

"Cops as an institution perpetuate violence and exploit the poor keeping them in poverty"
You just want to protect criminals and remove accountability.

I don't have one for the last one, except that only reason a business owner deserves anything more than their workers is because of risk. We've also largely removed risk at the corporate level, and risk is mostly a function of capital.

My examples might have been lovely, but the point was the knee jerk catchphrase responses to them.

Some places definitely have long standing, systemic issues with hiring practices. Some places have diversity quotas. Meritocracy is a dirty word. Maybe not nuanced, but complicated.

Cops are a hard one because your cops appear to be very murdery. Australian cops have become what I can only describe as severe and gang like. They're loving badly hated. Cops in my country are super diverse and community focused. Lots of women, lots of races and cultures, lots of immigrants. Brown people in poo poo cars still get pulled over way more often.

Conservative opinion: People grossly overvalue the "value of their labour". Risk at sub corporate level can be crushing, and most employees give exactly zero shits.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It is bad that environmental pollutants, food deserts only providing unhealthy food, lack of food sovereignty, and the effects of poverty results in young Black women experiencing puberty sooner than white women. It is not quite as bad, but still lovely, that a subset of internet "leftists" (who would be first against the wall in any genuine revolution) will regard you as a hotep or incel for saying so.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Raithe posted:

My examples might have been lovely, but the point was the knee jerk catchphrase responses to them.

Some places definitely have long standing, systemic issues with hiring practices. Some places have diversity quotas. Meritocracy is a dirty word. Maybe not nuanced, but complicated.

Cops are a hard one because your cops appear to be very murdery. Australian cops have become what I can only describe as severe and gang like. They're loving badly hated. Cops in my country are super diverse and community focused. Lots of women, lots of races and cultures, lots of immigrants. Brown people in poo poo cars still get pulled over way more often.

Conservative opinion: People grossly overvalue the "value of their labour". Risk at sub corporate level can be crushing, and most employees give exactly zero shits.

ok. now i understand. you actually are dumb

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

pop punk posted:

I have been reading this thread to fall asleep for the last week and it’s been a wild ride.

I have really appreciated everyone in this thread posting in earnest. I’ve found it more and more difficult to know what anyone actually thinks, how many people are choosing silence over conflict, or even knowing who is publicly advocating for things as a social behavior.

I think it’s painful sometimes, but this really is the only way forward I can think of besides people isolating into smaller groups or just staying completely silent and letting others direct the conversation.

To contribute I will admit that I am vaccine hesitant. (I have not told anyone besides my partner and it is actually hard to type.) I DID GET both doses almost as soon as I could and will be getting a booster, but I do not like the idea of being in the first decade or two of people trying a new medicine or anything like that.

I deal with several elderly people in my life so I felt it was important to do it early especially since I was going places indoors. But I deeply empathize with a anyone concerned about what could go wrong.

I will say I have really really researched it and I think if your specific concern is the mRNA thing I had similar concerns and no longer have them. It is smart to question everything, but after really looking at it for a while I would bet big on it being completely safe. If you haven’t gotten it yet I would say at this point it feels incredibly safe to me. If you are feeling more open scheduling an appointment is super easy now and there is like no wait or problem.

Do you think you were hesitant because getting a vaccine is an affirmative action with a 100% outcome, and the risk of getting the virus isn’t 100%? Genuinely, curious. That was how I felt about flu shots when I was younger.

Edit add. Thank you for being strong and protecting the vulnerable. Prior to the vaccine I had double-digit fatality risk from Covid and my life might have been saved by someone like you, who put others before themself.

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 21, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Raithe posted:

That’s likely due to no one actually doing anything of real importance. Instead of being pencil pushers everyone is now a digital janitor.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The only real and valid vaccine concern I've heard that makes sense to me is that is was rushed in a crisis and there are no long term studies of possible effects down the road. A woman I was out on a date with was kind of struggling with the whole thing because like Flowers for QAnon said, she felt like she could manage the risk of getting COVID vs. just having to go all in on the vaccine. She was very afraid of her abusive alcoholic ex getting the kids and has been able to telework through the whole thing. She said once they bring her kids back full time and make them get it she probably will, though. It's hard to ask everyone to be rational in the same way when it comes to risk management. Obviously there are some utterly insane anti vaccine people but I feel bad for the borderline cases that have a lot of other stuff going on.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
The vaccine is actually my cum

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

runnypoops posted:

The vaccine is actually my cum

whatever. long as it works

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

nvidiagouge posted:

The only real and valid vaccine concern I've heard that makes sense to me is that is was rushed in a crisis and there are no long term studies of possible effects down the road. A woman I was out on a date with was kind of struggling with the whole thing because like Flowers for QAnon said, she felt like she could manage the risk of getting COVID vs. just having to go all in on the vaccine. She was very afraid of her abusive alcoholic ex getting the kids and has been able to telework through the whole thing. She said once they bring her kids back full time and make them get it she probably will, though. It's hard to ask everyone to be rational in the same way when it comes to risk management. Obviously there are some utterly insane anti vaccine people but I feel bad for the borderline cases that have a lot of other stuff going on.

While I agree it’s a rational concern, I think the counter argument was sound - re rushed. I think you hit the core of the issue as it pertains to risk management. The human brain is absolutely terrible at this, to no one’s fault.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

scott zoloft posted:

This is what i mean. Someone made the mistake of saying estrogen and that's the part you choose to cling onto and ignore any other aspect of the behavior being potentially harmful. And to me that becomes more telling of where your heads at than whether or not mainlining thc and sitting on your rear end actually promotes estrogen production. Think of it more a metaphor for something else that will make you grow tits

If estrogen isn't the problem, what, o what are the other consequences of these behaviors that are objectively wrong and a surefire cause of doom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Raithe posted:

Sorry, but you're just wrong. Look at libertarianism vs communism. It's 100% the rights and responsibility of the individual and individual sovereignship vs the responsibility of the individual toward the whole.

As a critique of our current liber democracy, libertarianism is concerned with how the power structures stop the individual from achieving their potential. Socialism/communism is concerned with how they affect groups.

You also see this ideological difference play put in vaccines. Yes I know there are outliers, bit vaccines are largely a left vs right thing.

About the small business owner, I think it fair they earn more than their workers under the current system, because they are assuming risk, and yes that risk is crushing. Most small business owners I've encountered don't care about the burdens of their employees though, so expecting the workers to care about the risk of their boss is silly.
So many horrible owners that expect their employees to be as invested as they are, when their employees are litteraly not invested. If you want your employees to be as invested as you, give them a share of the profits, but that's socialism!