Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, this always comes with the bittersweet pill that nobody will face any consequences or see any setbacks to their careers, while everyone who was right gets marginalized and stuck on the sidelines moving forward. Just like every other time there's a "journalistic" consensus that turns out to be a heap of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

PawParole posted:

the latest article on Ethiopia was trash.
every time dolan starts talking about the warrior spirit in various ethnicities im reminded that he's essentially a 19th century thinker and that he probably owns multiple bicorn hats

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

R. Mute posted:

every time dolan starts talking about the warrior spirit in various ethnicities im reminded that he's essentially a 19th century thinker and that he probably owns multiple bicorn hats

yeah he's incredibly and openly old-fashioned and it sometimes allows him to see things much more clearly than most of his contemporaries but sometimes also leads him into very weird places

stuff like his open admiration for organisation and martial discipline makes him a very interesting dissenting thinker, but as they keep insisting on the podcast you really do have to know how to read him

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah the various conversations about the willingness of different cultures to accept different levels of casualties in war as acceptable for example is very interesting, but it’s turns into ‘the x are a warrior people’ in ways that feel like an RPG statbook.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's usually fine and just a quirk, but in episodes like the ethiopia one it really jumps out and goes from "weird way of looking at things" to "wrong way to look at things"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Americans are a warrior people, but only when it comes to deaths from viral illness, cars, or obesity

Deaths from war, not so much

animist
Aug 28, 2018
we will fight on in burger valhalla

(aka protestant heaven)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1461903543217135616?s=20

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1461906236983685125?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao, I gather Glenn had a take on that trial?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My understanding is that Glenn’s takes over the last couple years has been “American fascism is rad because it owns the libs and gives me opportunities for hot takes, Brazilian fascism is bad because it could actually effect me now that I live there.”

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mark and Yasha (who has been a guest on RWN a few times) have been writing articles critical of Greenwald since 2011 or so, especially the journalist's relationship to various billionaire interests. Makes sense given that the two were writing about the Kochs as far back as 2009 in Playboy of all places.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Glenn has always been a libertarian contrarian, basically.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yup its why hes a thin skinned mega poster in the first place.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
L(Mao) indeed :)

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1463312547411423232

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's funny that Noah thinks having a patreon for Skype chats is a media career.

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1462917088691908609?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nice to hear Mark do the funky chicken dance in the endzone on Russiagate again.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
reading the Wikipedia articles of people war nerd discusses is a great time. have a read of the Chennault article, it’s a hagiography that makes him sound like the worlds least appreciated man.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I honestly thought Carl Zha was talking about Clear Channel for half the episode.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Me when they start going off about Russiagate:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmfao at Mark being a raiders fan.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I really appreciated the point Mark brought up about how common it was for Americans to insist "the oriental" doesn't value life the same way we do. Yet here we are in an actual pandemic, and we practically can't wait to die. Whereas China has a working pandemic response.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Glad to see that noah looks just like I imagined

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

noah is insane

https://twitter.com/newyorkist/status/1463651764209602560?s=21

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell, same,

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I really appreciated the point Mark brought up about how common it was for Americans to insist "the oriental" doesn't value life the same way we do. Yet here we are in an actual pandemic, and we practically can't wait to die. Whereas China has a working pandemic response.

wee grrrrrs

that tennis star

it’s all gonna read just as poorly in a few decades

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I don't even know what the deal is with the tennis star, that's how little it matters to the public consciousness.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I've spoken to a bunch of liberal friends and family about this and even they have reached the conclusion that the government just left everyone to die. The only ones who argued back were a few of my friends who are hardcore dems (lol).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I've spoken to a bunch of liberal friends and family about this and even they have reached the conclusion that the government just left everyone to die. The only ones who argued back were a few of my friends who are hardcore dems (lol).

I'm surprised they would go for "that didn't happen" instead of "that was because of economic factors which are outside of anyone's control"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

for me it's "oh you believe the numbers out of authoritarian china huh??"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
good ep about ukraine and russia war
bad tweet from the dweebest cuban
https://twitter.com/ShinjiTheCuban/status/1468284324084858880

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

good ep about ukraine and russia war
bad tweet from the dweebest cuban
https://twitter.com/ShinjiTheCuban/status/1468284324084858880

Get into the field fortification with the swastika flag Shinji.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Loving, kinda, the victory lap around ‘the pee tape is real, even if the pee tape isn’t real’, which I’m pretty sure I tweeted to the 3 non-bot non-rl-knower followers. Not that I’m interesting, creative, or worth following.

Still wanna know John’s handle here.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I usually find that whenever get a few million people killed that they just didn’t value life like us, otherwise they wouldn’t let us bomb their country, duh.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Loving the civil war series.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

vicksburg rocks, i have been there many times. highly recommended!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Loving the civil war series.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I hope the War Nerd can find this Styple guy, I thought he might be a hermit or maybe a pseudonym but I guess he used to do lecture briefs on C-SPAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

vicksburg rocks, i have been there many times. highly recommended!

I went there on an elementary school field trip and the whole town stank.