Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Then address local taxation at the local level, which is how the taxes are established & paid & what they fund.

Giving a massive federal tax deduction to the 1-percenters is what we're told Republicans do, not Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Byzantine posted:

Too bad the planet will be dead before those kids can run for president.

It won't be, and this type of apocalyptic thinking is deeply unhelpful to 1) you personally in your life and 2) building political power that can actually take on the fight.

Not hating on you, I've been in the depths of climate despair myself, it's a bad bad place. You can get out, tho, and I hope you do because there is a future still worth fighting and working for.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
SALT was capped by Trump/GOP as a direct punishment to liberal states who voted against him. These states already spent a disproportionate amount of their federal tax money to subsidize shithole southern welfare states and he wanted to ensure that they spend EVEN MORE money to subsidize these shithole southern welfare states. If the cap stays, NJ and others will have no alternatives other than lowering state taxes on upper-middle-class/rich which will cut social benefits for everyone else in those states. Seeing Trump's actions on SALT praised here as a good thing that should stay is really bizarre.

SALT should be uncapped and rich people should be taxed more at the federal level to avoid state jumping. The only dumb part I can see here is doing one of the two first and not doing them together as a comprehensive Trump tax policy reversal.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 21, 2021

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Rad Russian posted:

SALT was capped by Trump/GOP as a direct punishment to liberal states who voted against him. These states already spent a disproportionate amount of their federal tax money to subsidize shithole southern welfare states and he wanted to ensure that they spend EVEN MORE money to subsidize these shithole southern welfare states. If the cap stays, NJ and others will have no alternatives other than lowering state taxes on upper-middle-class/rich which will cut social benefits for everyone else in those states. Seeing Trump's actions on SALT praised here as a good thing that should stay is really bizarre.

This is basically indistinguishable from conservative reasoning about progressive taxation in general

Rad Russian posted:

SALT should be uncapped and rich people should be taxed more at the federal level to avoid state jumping. The only dumb part I can see here is doing one of the two first and not doing them together as a comprehensive Trump tax policy reversal.

The "dumb part" of the scenario you have imagined is the only thing on the table. "This would be smart to do if they also did something that there are no plans to do" is an argument against your own point

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Willa Rogers posted:

As far as an effective strategy for the left, I think the only way is to withhold votes from Dems until we get what we need & want, either by voting third party or just not voting for the Dem party.

And yes, that means allowing the GOP to win elections! That means not buckling under to blame & shame games by Dems, nor buckling in to shoot-the-dog hostage poo poo. No more "we'll take 10 years to destroy the country instead of 5" and "perfect is the enemy of the good" crap.

What do those of us on the left who feel the most visceral effects of this do? What do we advocate for? What strategy do those of us in ADAPT employ to stay out of physically, emotionally, sexually abuse and deadly institutions? The most recent battle to stay in our communities and keep our freedom was one regressive senator dying of brain cancer away from defeat.

What is our play here? Do we step aside and martyr ourselves so people can experience schadenfreude at the dems failure?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

How are u posted:

It won't be, and this type of apocalyptic thinking is deeply unhelpful to 1) you personally in your life and 2) building political power that can actually take on the fight.

Not hating on you, I've been in the depths of climate despair myself, it's a bad bad place. You can get out, tho, and I hope you do because there is a future still worth fighting and working for.

Toxic positivity isn’t a solution

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Nucleic Acids posted:

The planet will not "be dead" in 30 to 40 years.

e: oh i see you edited out your original response of "lol yes it will"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nucleic Acids posted:

Is this what you thought was better than "Lol yes it will"

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Spoke Lee posted:

What do those of us on the left who feel the most visceral effects of this do? What do we advocate for? What strategy do those of us in ADAPT employ to stay out of physically, emotionally, sexually abuse and deadly institutions? The most recent battle to stay in our communities and keep our freedom was one regressive senator dying of brain cancer away from defeat.

What is our play here? Do we step aside and martyr ourselves so people can experience schadenfreude at the dems failure?

Everyone I know goes to protests, and there is never much talk about voting in the general elections. Agitation for local politics. But it isn't for much as our state is pretty reliably blue, hates poor people, and the politicians at every level blindly defend one of the most deadly police forces in the country.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Rad Russian posted:

I don’t care about the reason why the SALT deduction was capped. The SALT deduction is a tax break for the rich. gently caress it and the entire deduction should be eliminated

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The whole posturing to be the most over the top sneeringly cynical or nihilistic person in the conversation thing is so loving tiresome. Being more angry or sad doesn’t mean that your politics are better, it doesn’t mean that you’re more empathetic or better informed, it just means that you’re more unhappy.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Spoke Lee posted:

You concentrate on the local & state levels, which is where most protections come into play and where meaningful change is possible, and hold out at the federal level, which is dominated by capital & its political donations.

Did you know that medical underwriting is still a thing for Medicare recipients, who can be rejected if they're on a Medicare Advantage plan (which is neither Medicare nor an Advantage) and try to switch to traditional Medicare?

You should care, if you're concerned about disability advocacy, because a lot of the pre-65 year olds who qualify for Medicare based on disability or terminal illness are bucketed into these lovely plans that mimic the worst of Obamacare plans.

When was the last time a federally elected Democratic official expressed concern over this, or over Medicare Advantage's deceptive advertising? Has Biden proposed undoing any of the MA incentives that Trump exercised through executive actions & agency rulemaking?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Fill Baptismal posted:

The whole posturing to be the most over the top sneeringly cynical or nihilistic person in the conversation thing is so loving tiresome. Being more angry or sad doesn’t mean that your politics are better, it doesn’t mean that you’re more empathetic or better informed, it just means that you’re more unhappy.

I agree that it's hugely tiring. It became hugely tiring for me, personally, years ago. I don't know how other people can keep on trucking with the attitude, it slowly broke me down until I felt there was nothing worth living for.

It's why, some years ago, I chose to embrace a glimmer of hope. I found that I needed to believe that things could get better in order to move on in life at all. In the years since I have seen things get better sometimes. Things also get worse in other ways, but life is a big nuanced mixed bag of good and bad. People in previous eras have lived through worse and persevered. I owe it to myself and to other Americans and to other human beings across the globe to continue to hold to hope, work hard to make change, and not give into nihilistic, depressive despair. Been there, done that, it serves nobody, it is poison.

e: Yeah no joke. When I say something like "things can get better" and get accused of "toxic positivity" it's just sad. What do you even say to that? I hope folks who feel that way can find a way out of the darkness.
vvvvvv

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fill Baptismal posted:

People are trying to make "toxic positivity" become A Thing but it just seems to reflect sadly on the person doing it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Your profile pic is a monster killing Christmas.

So much for the tolerant left

No idol is safe, least of all capitalist Christmas.

Nucleic Acids posted:

"The answer is somewhere in the middle of positivity and doom"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Accusing people of "posturing" is a right wing catchphrase.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

The planet will not "be dead" in 30 to 40 years.

e: oh i see you edited out your original response of "lol yes it will"

You're being pedantic. Even if the earth doesn't turn to dust and crumble away we are looking at mass death on an unprecedented scale in our lifetimes. People are justified in freaking out a little bit. Hell, freaking out is probably a better response than:

E: That's what toxic positivity is btw. It's the weaponization of optimism to handwaive away calls for change under the pretext that the consequences of a problem either won't be that bad or that the problem will resolve itself on it's own without anybody needing to actually do anything.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 21, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fallom posted:

People are trying to make "toxic positivity" become A Thing but it just seems to reflect sadly on the person doing it.

Do you not believe toxic positivity is a thing? Is it just something some posters here made up, like the Manchin Cycle? Tons of people are studying this phenomenon at institutions around the world (which doesn’t necessarily mean it exists, but it’s certainly A Thing that you should be aware of).

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

How are u posted:

I agree that it's hugely tiring. It became hugely tiring for me, personally, years ago. I don't know how other people can keep on trucking with the attitude, it slowly broke me down until I felt there was nothing worth living for.

It's why, some years ago, I chose to embrace a glimmer of hope. I found that I needed to believe that things could get better in order to move on in life at all. In the years since I have seen things get better sometimes. Things also get worse in other ways, but life is a big nuanced mixed bag of good and bad. People in previous eras have lived through worse and persevered. I owe it to myself and to other Americans and to other human beings across the globe to continue to hold to hope, work hard to make change, and not give into nihilistic, depressive despair. Been there, done that, it serves nobody, it is poison.

e: Yeah no joke. When I say something like "things can get better" and get accused of "toxic positivity" it's just sad. What do you even say to that? I hope folks who feel that way can find a way out of the darkness.
vvvvvv

Things can get better if enough people act with enough urgency all together.

We can hope that this will happen all we want, but we gotta be down to ride too. Celebrating the half measures of the status quo, even if its better than many other outcomes, leads equally to our doom.

Unironically stop normalizing self interested participation in our system.

Not saying you don't understand this, but maybe you find this perspective illuminating.

Edit this is the toolkit of what we speak and demand to those with power, obviously this message will not find purchase with many voters you might speak with.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 21, 2021

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Willa Rogers posted:

You concentrate on the local & state levels, which is where most protections come into play and where meaningful change is possible, and hold out at the federal level, which is dominated by capital & its political donations.

Did you know that medical underwriting is still a thing for Medicare recipients, who can be rejected if they're on a Medicare Advantage plan (which is neither Medicare nor an Advantage) and try to switch to traditional Medicare?

You should care, if you're concerned about disability advocacy, because a lot of the pre-65 year olds who qualify for Medicare based on disability or terminal illness are bucketed into these lovely plans that mimic the worst of Obamacare plans.

When was the last time a federally elected official expressed concern over this, or over Medicare Advantage's deceptive advertising? Has Biden proposed undoing any of the MA incentives that Trump exercised through executive actions & agency rulemaking?

State governments don't have the reach to self fund in home care for ADL, I don't think you grasp the magnitude of these programs. Medicare does not cover this, as those elderly need dual eligibility. That's why a federal system is needed, especially to bypass states like Florida where it's next to impossible to get in home care, and when you do you don't receive enough hours to live independently.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

No idol is safe, least of all capitalist Christmas.

"The answer is somewhere in the middle of positivity and doom"

Well... yeah? Like yeah, the world isn't going to be dead in 30 years, but it is going to a significantly worse place to live for a large portion of humanity. Lots of people who could be alive will not be.

Telling people in despair about the future to just have hope (especially without any specifics) isn't helpful, and it absolutely is a toxic attitude. It's like telling a depressed person to just cheer up.

So I dunno, maybe folks could try articulating why you should feel hopeful?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

readingatwork posted:

You're being pedantic. Even if the earth doesn't turn to dust and crumble away we are looking at mass death on an unprecedented scale in our lifetimes. People are justified in freaking out a little bit. Hell, freaking out is probably a better response than:

E: That's what toxic positivity is btw. It's the weaponization of optimism to handwaive away calls for change under the pretext that the consequences of a problem either won't be that bad or that the problem will resolve itself on it's own without anybody needing to actually do anything.

The part of my quote that the guy called "toxic positivity" was:

quote:

there is a future still worth fighting and working for.

I do not think that that statement is toxic positivity by any stretch of the imagination. I'm well aware of how bad things are, thank you very much. I still believe there is hope for the future, and that the world is worth fighting and working for.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
The child credits are just boneless, universal basic income, i.e., if you haven’t reproduced and thus irrevocably handcuffed yourself to a lifetime of servitude to capital by way of one or more living, breathing, eating $250k* debts that must be serviced, you can get hosed, no help for you.

* the average cost to “no frills” raise a child for 18 years

The dems can’t even do UBI without putting capital first lol.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

bloodysabbath posted:

The child credits are just boneless, universal basic income, i.e., if you haven’t reproduced and thus irrevocably handcuffed yourself to a lifetime of servitude to capital by way of one or more living, breathing, eating $250k* debts that must be serviced, you can get hosed, no help for you.

Oh for sure dude.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Fallom posted:

Is this what you thought was better than "Lol yes it will"

Yep!

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
wait am I a fake leftist because I had a baby?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I’m not making GBS threads on people who have kids and I’m glad that they’re getting help in a country that makes it financially miserable to have them. I’m saying that it sucks there is no equivalent aid being included for millions of people without children.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The millions of people without a baby already saved $250K according to you so do they really need any help

Timeless Appeal posted:

You may be a fake nihilistic doomer at least

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

readingatwork posted:

How many people do you expect to survive? Where would you put the over/under?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Oh plenty of people will survive, plus the cascading failures of the systems we've come to rely on will make life pretty exciting.

Edit for add content

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well, people with children aren't top of my list for volunteers to hit the streets and risk violence and/or imprisonment, for obvious reason. I have a huge list of reasons not to have kids, but it's the most natural thing in the world and somebody's gotta do it.

I'm just as dependant on the system as most people, I won't last many winters without access to pharmaceuticals. I don't trust it to be here for me in the long run though, not without massive reform.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 21, 2021

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Climate change isn't a singular event, so talking about how many people are going to survive is pretty much meaningless. But life expectancy and overall quality of life is going to fall dramatically, especially in already impoverished places.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yes, the world is not going to literally end. But Haiti for example is probably hosed within the next century and is already being severely impacted by climate change. Like there just is probably no foreseeable happy ending for them. It was a state born of the only successful victories against white supremacy, spent centuries struggling, and now the state as we currently know it will almost definitely be forever devastated by the greed of the very type of global powers it was borne in rebellion against. And the Biden's administration response to what might be a relatively minor crisis compared to what is going to come shows little hope that help is on its way.

When we die, we get to know that our families and friends go on. That is what makes an individual's death distinguishable from the end of the world. But there really are probably going to be people on our planet who are not just going to die from climate change, but die knowing that their way of life, their people, their culture, and their home are absolutely hosed. And I don't think that the fact that some other people--many of whom are much more responsible for this disaster than they are-- is a pretty cold comfort.

That is to say, I have no doubt that the human race is probably going to make it through. I think my privileged white rear end will probably be relatively fine. But I do think there are people on this planet who will face a scale of catastrophe that is for them indistinguishable from the end of the world. And I think people should keep perspective on that.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Global civilization will be significantly worse by 2050 assuming the ever worsening don't just collapse it entirely. If you take solace in knowing there will still people grinding away in that misery that is a phenomenal ability to separate yourself from suffering. Like genuinely 100% serious. If your response to this state of enlightenment is to tell people they need to cheer up or look on the bright side you probably should talk to a therapist.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is there a better thread to bookmark to keep up with current events?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

It's important to note that thinking everything will be fine is not necessary to be hopeful about the future: good deeds are virtuous on their own and give you ajr even if it is too late to have the outcome you want, and that can be a source of hope for this life and the next.

"Anas ibn Malik reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "If the Final Hour comes while you have a shoot of a plant in your hands and it is possible to plant it before the Hour comes, you should plant it.""

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

bloodysabbath posted:

It takes a village to raise a child; to count and cashier and endebten received societal assistance is a bad thing, and doing so does not reduce the child to the labor value received or available. A family’s children are not like simply another form of capital to be managed and helping ‘families’ economically is very much not putting capital first. and like, viewing children as like mostly just another debt is like the most toxicly capitalistic viewpoint I think you could have taken.

Life is good and children are our future and we should all work to providing the best future we can. like, yes, everything is a half-measure to providing broad support to everyone, but getting angry that families receive more assistance than people without children is wrong, imo; even with ubi parents and families should receive more. While we work towards universal care, taking steps to provide help for families is a properly socialist, godly and good thing for us to do.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Man, this anti-breeder rhetoric is just dumb. You can't raise the next generation of anarchists and socialists without them. Bitterly bitching about good things happening to other people is extra lovely when non-conservatives do it.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Mormon Star Wars posted:

It's important to note that thinking everything will be fine is not necessary to be hopeful about the future: good deeds are virtuous on their own and give you ajr even if it is too late to have the outcome you want, and that can be a source of hope for this life and the next.

"Anas ibn Malik reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "If the Final Hour comes while you have a shoot of a plant in your hands and it is possible to plant it before the Hour comes, you should plant it.""

🌱

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012

marshmonkey posted:

Is there a better thread to bookmark to keep up with current events?
No. It was decided that letting the same couple of posters endlessly regurgitate the same points was the best way to have a current events thread.