Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

The Sebrights are my most skittish but they are still very sweet girls. All of my chooks are very loving, though the top hen (one of my production reds) will occasionally give your ankle a gentle peck to demand whatever you have. They all love getting pets and treats though and will snuggle up close to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

freeedr posted:

The Sebrights are my most skittish but they are still very sweet girls. All of my chooks are very loving, though the top hen (one of my production reds) will occasionally give your ankle a gentle peck to demand whatever you have. They all love getting pets and treats though and will snuggle up close to me

good birds

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

this was the last image recovered off of old farmer John’s phone.

RIP

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Well, our rooster has chased off our big barred rock rooster we wanted to keep to replace him and we can't find him so now we've stuck in him his own coop with food and water to let he other rooster take his place. Hope the other turns up but I don't have any real hope for him being alive still.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

freeedr posted:

this was the last image recovered off of old farmer John’s phone.

RIP

Giving me flashbacks here! A couple of years ago that bitch Kennedy peck me right in the eyeball.

But it got me a bottle of percocet and out of our end of year meeting, so not a total bad experience. Would not repeat, though.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

mint fairy

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Do any of you use webcams in your coops/runs?

We just put up plastic on 3 of 4 sides of our coop and run as a windbreak, and now we can't really see our girls. I'd love something that I could just stick up in the corner of the run that we can see on our computer/phone. Preferably something self-contained, and a bonus if it's solar/battery because the one extension cord that runs out to the coop is already splitting off to run their water de-icer and their heating panel.

Pretty much looking for set it and forget it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I have in the past! Solar charging is possible and may increase the price point a fair bit, but the wireless webcam I used was just fine outside of charging periods. I usually just brought it in at night. The one webcam I used that had AC charging was nice, though.

Obviously, router distance will make a big difference in stream quality. Keep that in mind!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m going to set up a cam for my girls soon.

Fairy egg

(She is still doing a very good job and I am proud of her)

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Do any of you use webcams in your coops/runs?

We just put up plastic on 3 of 4 sides of our coop and run as a windbreak, and now we can't really see our girls. I'd love something that I could just stick up in the corner of the run that we can see on our computer/phone. Preferably something self-contained, and a bonus if it's solar/battery because the one extension cord that runs out to the coop is already splitting off to run their water de-icer and their heating panel.

Pretty much looking for set it and forget it.

We do. I had a generic AliExpress cam and poo poo canned for a Wyze cam. Super easy setup, great quality, and would get again. I think they make a battery only version too.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

an egg posted:

mint fairy

lovely

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Have a wild chicken-adjacent showing that the lack of survival instincts runs in the family.

https://i.imgur.com/vNJav1f.mp4

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cythereal posted:

Have a wild chicken-adjacent showing that the lack of survival instincts runs in the family.

I love that it has wonderful camouflage and just decides to walk right up to a predator

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Suddenly I'm thinking that the domestication of chickens must have been really easy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My best guess is that it's one of these. The guide notes that they're well known for being suicidally tame and docile around humans.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

My best guess is that it's one of these. The guide notes that they're well known for being suicidally tame and docile around humans.

I think it's a Ruffed Grouse, https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruffed_Grouse/id.

They like to hang out on my driveway in the morning and eat gravel. They have zero fear of vehicles but flush pretty easily if you're on foot.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Ruffed grouse are my favorites because they use their wings to drum on dead logs and make a sound like a tractor starting up. :3: It's so low it carries an absurd amount, so you can be sitting in the house with your headphones on and you'll still know when a ruffed grouse somewhere in the woods is drumming. Sometimes it's more like feeling the soundwave than actually hearing it.

... the fact that they attract mates with a sound like an engine does imply that they'd be pretty interested in vehicles.

This video tries to capture it, but really doesn't do justice to the intensity of it when you hear it in real life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVfiIp3QGs4

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

a few years back, my dad got several pictures of him holding a grouse. the darn thing would fly at him every time he got near its territory (which was by whatever outdoor project dad was working on)

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Not so stupid - you can't get shot if you're sitting on the bow!:smugbird:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

And dude isn't really a predator since a grouse isn't a deer/elk/whatever.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'd agree with ruffed grouse, with that tail.

A lot of people around here will snare grouse by hand. Good eating, apparently.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Cythereal posted:

how beautiful!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

There is a bird in my neighborhood that I desperately want to identify but I only ever get a fleeting glimpse of it as it flies by, I just spotted it up in a tree and tried to get a better look with binoculars but I was shaking too much to see it clearly before it flew away. If I ever manage a picture I'll post it here since, well, why not I guess.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Cloudy days in autumn are better once the leaves start to fall:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
good birds doing good bird things

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

There is a bird in my neighborhood that I desperately want to identify but I only ever get a fleeting glimpse of it as it flies by, I just spotted it up in a tree and tried to get a better look with binoculars but I was shaking too much to see it clearly before it flew away. If I ever manage a picture I'll post it here since, well, why not I guess.

How about a few descriptors? That could help us to narrow it down for you. Also location and type of habitat, etc.

You might want to get something like Sibley's app. You can narrow down what gets shown by setting your state, and it shows male and female and eclipse plumage, has audio for songs and how to distinguish it from similar species. I finally found what was making this wheezy, whistly song after literally decades. Turned out to be a white throated sparrow. Never saw them, only heard them.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

How about a few descriptors? That could help us to narrow it down for you. Also location and type of habitat, etc.

You might want to get something like Sibley's app. You can narrow down what gets shown by setting your state, and it shows male and female and eclipse plumage, has audio for songs and how to distinguish it from similar species. I finally found what was making this wheezy, whistly song after literally decades. Turned out to be a white throated sparrow. Never saw them, only heard them.

The thing is I never see it well enough to make an accurate description, it has red-brown bits and white bits and black bits which doesn't narrow it down much. Could be anything from a sparrow to a kestrel. That's why I'm waiting to get a picture of it before I try asking for help IDing it.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

spookygonk posted:

Cloudy days in autumn are better once the leaves start to fall:

how beautiful

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the new cage is indoor-outdoor and double storey. moose loves it. she can do her favourite thing, sitting motionless in the shade, for a few hours

and then go do her other favourite thing, sitting motionless in the sun, for a few hours

and then go upstairs for a well-earned dust bath and a nap.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

lol i just went back in my photos to see what date i got moose (may 2020) and found this photo of her as a baby

magnificently lazy bird

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

How delightful.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Moose is my favorite :love:

One of the “babies”, 8 weeks old today, was trying to crow in the coop this morning. The door was shut so I didn’t see who it was but I have my suspicions…

Also, we got 4 Muscovy ducks yesterday. They were raised pretty hands-off so it will probably take them a long time to warm up to me. They are so lovely though!

I didn’t get a picture but also yesterday we went to get some barrels from a Craigslist seller and he had about a 50 white muscovies. Today is culling day for him so I’m glad I got to see the ducks when I did. There’s not much prettier than a pond full of happy ducks.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

Moose is my favorite :love:

One of the “babies”, 8 weeks old today, was trying to crow in the coop this morning. The door was shut so I didn’t see who it was but I have my suspicions…

Also, we got 4 Muscovy ducks yesterday. They were raised pretty hands-off so it will probably take them a long time to warm up to me. They are so lovely though!

I didn’t get a picture but also yesterday we went to get some barrels from a Craigslist seller and he had about a 50 white muscovies. Today is culling day for him so I’m glad I got to see the ducks when I did. There’s not much prettier than a pond full of happy ducks.

lovely. what will become of Mr. Suspicious? he's pretty. good luck with the ducks.

this morning i threw scratch mix out front for the quail. my neighbor's chickens, who are separated from my yard by a street, 3 fences, and a huge swath of lawn, noticed. they all came running to their fence trying to figure out how to get some eats

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

lovely. what will become of Mr. Suspicious? he's pretty. good luck with the ducks.

this morning i threw scratch mix out front for the quail. my neighbor's chickens, who are separated from my yard by a street, 3 fences, and a huge swath of lawn, noticed. they all came running to their fence trying to figure out how to get some eats

That’s how you can tell the type of bird owner someone is, if the birds come toward you when you make a throwing motion, the owner is a treat giver. My new ducks however…. :henget:

I will probably keep that little rooster until there’s a reason not to, and then I’d rehome him if he’s not a jerk to people. He’s a Penedesenca so he’s fairly rare. He doesn’t really fit into my breeding plans, but those are in flux anyway.

On that note, a 6/17ths of the flock I brought from Wyoming developed bumble foot since moving to Georgia. We had some trees mulched so there was a lot of rough wood on the ground and it was humid at that time, but some hens that are determined foragers didn’t get bumbles. I did some research and most books/sites say it is more common in heavy breeds due to their weight, but the higher proportion was actually in my Leghorns. I read that Fayoumis are resistant to bacterial and viral infections but does that include Staph? Do I need a Fayoumi test subject?

My plan is to keep any recurring bumble-havers out of the breeding group but I don’t know if that’s really a thing you can effectively select out. Any ideas?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm trying to find a thing that should exist but I don't know if it does - I had some changes done to my coop, basically I have a flap in the back that empties into the run so I can easily clean it out. I have a small rake I had been using to clean it out but now what I want is more of a squeege-type thing with no gaps so I can get everything, but I don't want an actual squeege of course. More like a rake that's designed to be used horizontally, that has a flat smooth thing on the end instead of tines. Does that make any sense?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2OMAP6/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_WZM5CSYZYRAE770QEJTZ

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah except the bottom bit needs to face down instead of forward (90 degree angle) and maybe a little wider. I could probably fashion something myself with a rake handle and a piece of wood... The coop I'm clearing out will be at waist height so that's why the flat thing won't really work here.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This might work https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y4T1K91/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_7ZXJJFP9MH8V2WX6QTA7

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

...He’s a Penedesenca...

those sound really interesting, i love that there is a whole festival for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mozi posted:

Yeah except the bottom bit needs to face down instead of forward (90 degree angle) and maybe a little wider. I could probably fashion something myself with a rake handle and a piece of wood... The coop I'm clearing out will be at waist height so that's why the flat thing won't really work here.

A hoe maybe?