Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

macabresca posted:

Aaaaand now I did a quest about bureacracy hell. This expansion is so goofy :allears:

That quest is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

macabresca posted:

Aaaaand now I did a quest about bureacracy hell. This expansion is so goofy :allears:

its so good, its the best swan song

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

scary ghost dog posted:

ultimately, blood & wine is the only part of the games that actually felt like a sequel to the books

I’ve always seen all three games, especially played back to back, as a fantastic sequel to the novels. Blood and Wine is an excellent capstone to the series, but I don’t think it’s the only piece that feels like true sequel material.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Something I’ll probably appreciate more about the games is that they’re like 85% (if you do all the side quests but why the gently caress wouldn’t you) about Geralt’s weird adventures that he got up to in the first two books (and it seems like the last one too?), like the epic legendary story of Ciri and Geralt is pretty good too but there’s something unique about just going to a haunted mansion and meeting The Beast, or wandering into a village of pigs. They really wanted to do that part justice, it felt like, which makes sense since there’s so little of it in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I keep posting my thoughts, but Ciri is a pretty great subversion of the Chosen One story/archetype. Like on paper there’s nothing separating her from My Super Cool Anime OC but just like the Witcher series/franchise itself is a more grounded look at the world of wizards and hobbits, Ciri’s journey is pretty much just “man, being a chosen legendary time lord scion would probably suck poo poo, huh.”

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Last Celebration posted:

Also, I keep posting my thoughts, but Ciri is a pretty great subversion of the Chosen One story/archetype. Like on paper there’s nothing separating her from My Super Cool Anime OC but just like the Witcher series/franchise itself is a more grounded look at the world of wizards and hobbits, Ciri’s journey is pretty much just “man, being a chosen legendary time lord scion would probably suck poo poo, huh.”

And Ciri is not even THE Chosen One that will save the world, it's her offspring that matters, basically. There're some great feminist themes in the novels about motherhood and Ciri's subplot is particularly interesting in light of recent anti-abortion movements in Poland but also in US iirc and other places too, probably.

A'right, where are some cool paintings and figurines for Corvo Bianco?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

macabresca posted:

And Ciri is not even THE Chosen One that will save the world, it's her offspring that matters, basically. There're some great feminist themes in the novels about motherhood and Ciri's subplot is particularly interesting in light of recent anti-abortion movements in Poland but also in US iirc and other places too, probably.

Make sure to do the quest A Portrait of the Witcher as an Old Man.
You’ll find the painter in one of the squares during the day, the one with tents for the wine festival iirc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

macabresca posted:

theres the bit from the most recent book that came out in like 2012 that stands out a fair bit, where iirc the sorceress is helping people getting abortions and the king just flat out says “well if our women get abortions they’ll do things like have pride in themselves and commit adultery” and I thought it was kinda subtle as a brick but I guess the complete lack of subtlety makes more sense if it’s meant to be a dig at irl people.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Last Celebration posted:

theres the bit from the most recent book that came out in like 2012 that stands out a fair bit, where iirc the sorceress is helping people getting abortions and the king just flat out says “well if our women get abortions they’ll do things like have pride in themselves and commit adultery” and I thought it was kinda subtle as a brick but I guess the complete lack of subtlety makes more sense if it’s meant to be a dig at irl people.

There's also this part in Baptism of Fire where they're discussing Milva's pregnancy and Cahir says somthing to the effect of "In Nilfgaard it's a woman's choice" and is replied with "OF COURSE it is, do you think Northerners are that barbaric?"

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

that book also rules and feels the most like the games of all the books

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

macabresca posted:

I loved the chosen one angle for a different reason - no one actually understands it. Everyone trying to control Ciri wants some totally different combination of blood, organs, genetics and/or magical children to the point that none of them really seem to know the whole truth. They don't understand what the elder gene is and we never find out either, because that isn't the point of the books *Extremely Cavil voice* gently caress destiny.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's also interesting seeing this chosen one that the world revolves around from the perspective of somebody who's just a friend or loose relation to the chosen one. It's a weird and alienating system, and Gerault doesn't really know or understand what's going on with that mythic destiny, and can only barely give her any advice on who she can even take advice from.

It's a real example of a disempowerment fantasy, which makes things really interesting.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Tbh I wish W3 played a little more with different povs, like in 2 but more. We got to control Ciri a few times which was cool, but I sometimes wonder what would a rpg with multiple player characters be like, especially if they had conflicting goals.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

HenryEx posted:

Really? the part of the game where you get into an insult fight with a guy named Guybrush is the one that feels most faithful to the books

or the part where you go on an extended Asterix & Obelix chase
I mean the last book of the series binds The Witcher universe directly with Arthurian legends so I'll allow it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

macabresca posted:

Tbh I wish W3 played a little more with different povs, like in 2 but more. We got to control Ciri a few times which was cool, but I sometimes wonder what would a rpg with multiple player characters be like, especially if they had conflicting goals.

Indigo Prophecy seemed like it was going for this, before it got a few chapters in and the whole thing was hijacked by the angry ghost of Hideo Kojima

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Gaunter O'Dimm being responsible for Marlene's curse was great, lol. Didn't expect to hear about that guy again

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

macabresca posted:

Gaunter O'Dimm being responsible for Marlene's curse was great, lol. Didn't expect to hear about that guy again

Also a neat reminder that he’s been around for an incomprehensibly long time and is never truly beaten. At least not until the day he runs into a deus ex machina character introduced thirty pages ago.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

Also a neat reminder that he’s been around for an incomprehensibly long time and is never truly beaten. At least not until the day he runs into a deus ex machina character introduced thirty pages ago.

The funny part is that Gaunter is defeated (for now) because he made a deal-with-the-devil in order to get what he wanted

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Finished Blood and Wine. The main story was fine, though not outstanding. There were some very fun moments, like Beyond Hill and Dale quest, wicht's mansion and Regis' fun adventure in a vampire torture chamber. The fight with Dettlaff was pretty challenging, he completely obliterated me once so quickly that I didn't even know what happened. Hanging out with Regis was great, though I prefered him in the books, when he had a band of idiots to bounce off of. And I needed a moment to warm up to him, he didn't really match my impression of the character at first but then it got better. The side-quests were silly and goofy and funny and after a while I started feeling like it was a bit too much. The tonal dissonance between some side-quests and the main plot was sometimes brutal. Like, an hour ago I was looking for stolen stone genitals and now Regis is in the torture cage?? in extreme pain?? And I gotta say, rehashing Renfri's story again, after they already did it in witcher 1's dlc was rather disappointing, I like The Lesser Evil too but c'mon, at least try to do something new with the curse of the black sun. Speaking of witcher 1, I liked that a lot of enemies from that game made a reappearance and one armour too! I liked the armour customisation, I ended up wearing matching outfits with Roach and it was pretty sweet. I'm not sure if I like the aesthetic of Toussaint but it's interesting and fits the world, so that's cool. Skellige deck sucks.
So all in all I'd say that it's a very cool expansion in terms of how it's the witcher vacation and a finale to Geralt's story, but also I'm not sure if I'd want to play it again. Maybe to try to go for the worst possible ending.

My final playtime is 200h 20min if anybody's interested. I think I will play some more in the future, I'd like to try a higher difficulty level and maybe a different build as well. But for now I feel that I witchered plenty and can witcher no more.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i thought rehashing renfri’s story kind of worked because it felt like geralt’s chance during the sunset of his story to use what hes learned over his long life and actually help a black sun witch

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Fair point, although you can do exactly the same thing in that witcher 1 dlc. It works better here but it's still pretty funny that cdpr decided to rehash Renfri twice

Tbf, not a lot of people who played witcher 3 played 1 as well, and even less bothered with the dlc

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

?
I had no idea Witcher 1 had dlc

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah they weren't integrated into the main game at all, they're awkwardly hidden in the main menu, so most people miss them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Witcher 1 also leaned hard into re-doing stories and was a weird mix of new story and greatest hits cast as a new story. They redo the striga and deovel stories in the main game too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Trying to do card collector in new game+, there a good google spreadsheet listing card locations, noting missable ones, that I can tick off?

Edit 2: nvm found one.

Edit: why does this post specifically not have my avatar? Is there an option to turn it off when you post I somehow hit that I've never noticed before?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Nov 20, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Did you fix it? Cause I can see your avatar

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

macabresca posted:

Did you fix it? Cause I can see your avatar

I did nothing, but now I can too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Playing Witcher 3 at 120 fps seems to introduce some fun glitches, especially with the ragdoll physics. I've seen a lot of dead bodies just fling themselves over Geralt's head or across the room. Maybe I should stick with 60 fps because all these flying corpses slightly hurt the game's atmosphere and targeting 60 fps would let me max out the visuals on my RTX 3060, but 120 fps is just so smooth that it's actually kinda hard to go back now!

Also, after largely ignoring gwent for several years, I have finally seen the light and developed a crippling gwent addiction on this playthrough.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

At first release there was a really fun bug where the finishing move where Geralt gets them on their knee then slices their head off would send the whole body flying off like he’d just smashed a home run. They patched it out eventually, super lame

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

At first release there was a really fun bug where the finishing move where Geralt gets them on their knee then slices their head off would send the whole body flying off like he’d just smashed a home run. They patched it out eventually, super lame

Okay it seems to be whoever posts last has no avatar. But only in this thread. Is this happening to anyone else?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Narp, can’t say I’ve seen that happen. I haven’t posted in this thread in a while so my av wouldn’t have been on the page before, maybe the other avs were already cached by your browser and mine wasn’t and loading it got goofed up

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fortaleza posted:

Narp, can’t say I’ve seen that happen. I haven’t posted in this thread in a while so my av wouldn’t have been on the page before, maybe the other avs were already cached by your browser and mine wasn’t and loading it got goofed up

Nah doesnt seem to be that kind of issue.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Bizarre. Well I’m glad you can see my av now ‘cause I think it’s nice. It’s from an artist named James Gilleard his stuff is great https://www.behance.net/jamesgilleard

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
It is very nice! And yeah, I also don't have any problems with disappearing avatars

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

macabresca posted:

Finished Blood and Wine. The main story was fine, though not outstanding. There were some very fun moments, like Beyond Hill and Dale quest, wicht's mansion and Regis' fun adventure in a vampire torture chamber. The fight with Dettlaff was pretty challenging, he completely obliterated me once so quickly that I didn't even know what happened. Hanging out with Regis was great, though I prefered him in the books, when he had a band of idiots to bounce off of. And I needed a moment to warm up to him, he didn't really match my impression of the character at first but then it got better. The side-quests were silly and goofy and funny and after a while I started feeling like it was a bit too much. The tonal dissonance between some side-quests and the main plot was sometimes brutal. Like, an hour ago I was looking for stolen stone genitals and now Regis is in the torture cage?? in extreme pain?? And I gotta say, rehashing Renfri's story again, after they already did it in witcher 1's dlc was rather disappointing, I like The Lesser Evil too but c'mon, at least try to do something new with the curse of the black sun. Speaking of witcher 1, I liked that a lot of enemies from that game made a reappearance and one armour too! I liked the armour customisation, I ended up wearing matching outfits with Roach and it was pretty sweet. I'm not sure if I like the aesthetic of Toussaint but it's interesting and fits the world, so that's cool. Skellige deck sucks.
So all in all I'd say that it's a very cool expansion in terms of how it's the witcher vacation and a finale to Geralt's story, but also I'm not sure if I'd want to play it again. Maybe to try to go for the worst possible ending.

My final playtime is 200h 20min if anybody's interested. I think I will play some more in the future, I'd like to try a higher difficulty level and maybe a different build as well. But for now I feel that I witchered plenty and can witcher no more.

Did you talk to roach?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yes. That was deffo a highlight

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

you fool, comte made that quest and just tricked you into complimenting him!!!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
:argh:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

:smug:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

It is a pretty great loving quest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey question. Is the Switch port of Witcher 3 passable? Cause normally my assumption would be “lol gently caress no, look at how it runs on lastgen hardware” but I kinda assume it would be mercilessly lambasted if it actually were that bad, like the GTA Definitive Trilogy. Or, you know, certain other CD Project games. :v: