Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The best part about ordering middle eastern food is the shitload of fries they give you with each wrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, even by low-budget clusterfuck standards, the Rust armorer was cut-rate.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-11-20/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-hannah-armorer-sarah-seth

quote:

[Hannah Gutierrez Reed] had cause to celebrate her good fortune. It was unusual for a 24-year-old who had only been in charge of guns on one prior feature film to get a head armorer position — let alone additional prop responsibility. She would work in New Mexico alongside Sarah Zachry, also 24, who had been hired as the movie’s property master.

The two twentysomethings met just eight days before production. One of their first outings took them to an adobe-style office in Albuquerque with no sign, tinted windows and dying vegetation. The proprietor, weapons expert Seth Kenney, was providing the guns and some ammunition for the film as well as serving as “armorer mentor.” He would work behind the scenes, offering advice and direction to the novices. While Kenney’s name appeared on an internal “Rust” crew list, he was not listed on daily call sheets viewed by The Times.

Kenney had referred Gutierrez Reed for the job on “Rust,” according to him and a person close to the production who was not authorized to comment. He had previously worked with her father, industry gunslinger Thell Reed, on a few film projects.

Kenney described Gutierrez Reed as “atypical” for the armorer role but said she had grown up on sets and been trained by her father. Kenney also said that he “made the introduction” between Zachry and the “Rust” producers. He said Zachry also served as PDQ’s “firearms representative.”

Between them, Gutierrez Reed and Zachry had just seven industry credits. They’d been hired only after a long list of other prop masters and armorers were approached for the job. Many were unavailable, while some turned it down due to concerns over safety and producers’ demand that one person juggle the duties of armorer as well as prop assistant.

For Gutierrez Reed and Zachry, however, landing such high-pressure roles on the $7-million independent film was a chance for a big break.
On Oct. 16, Zachry accidentally shot herself in the foot with a blank fired from a gun. She was not injured, but the gun “went off right in her hands,” according to a crew member who witnessed the incident at Bonanza Creek Ranch, 13 miles south of Santa Fe. Will Waggoner, Zachry’s lawyer, did not respond to questions about the accidental discharge.

“Happens to everyone, move on,” Kenney texted Gutierrez Reed following the incident.

“It sure doesn’t look good, tho,” Gutierrez Reed responded.
In the messages, Kenney urged Gutierrez Reed not to report Zachry’s accidental discharge to the “Rust” production office, and he suggested the armorer had slipped up too.

“Accidents and mistakes happen,” Kenney wrote to Gutierrez Reed. “Accidental discharges are accidents. A mistake is where the Armorer provides a gun and Full Load Ammo to be fired. ... Will you tell Production about that?”
Zachry and Gutierrez Reed were not the filmmakers’ first choice, or even their fifth. The Times spoke with more than a dozen people in New Mexico, Los Angeles and Texas who said they’d been approached about prop master and armorer jobs on “Rust” in late August and September.
[Gutierrez Reed's] first professional job on a film set came earlier this year, when she traveled with her father to Montana to work together on the western “Murder at Emigrant Gulch.” Reed had been hired as an armorer on the movie, and Gutierrez Reed was his assistant. In a September podcast interview, Gutierrez Reed said her father showed her how to load blanks into guns and took her “from being completely green and taught me everything.”
Soon after “Murder at Emigrant Gulch” wrapped, Gutierrez Reed got her first major break: working as the lead armorer on “The Old Way,” a Nicolas Cage western also shooting in Montana. “I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready,” she said in the September podcast interview. But she did accept the position, and there were two unannounced gun discharges on “The Old Way,” one that irked Cage.

An experienced key grip on “The Old Way,” Stu Brumbaugh, asked for her dismissal.

“Most of the crew could see that she was in deep water, and barely treading,” Brumbaugh said. “She had different people screaming at her to rush and she was running all over the place, and when you’re 24 years old and it’s your first film … it’s difficult to say ‘no.’”

Increasingly, the problem in the entertainment industry, Brumbaugh said, “is that producers are being cheap. They create shortcuts by hamstringing department heads with limited crew, support and sufficient time to do their jobs safely and efficiently.”

So. Gutierrez Reed was grotesquely unqualified. Why did they hire somebody so unqualified? Because every qualified armorer in Hollywood had turned them down, and their response was not "Gee, maybe there's a reason the professionals are telling us this is unsafe.""

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you can get shish in places, its just default is doner. by orders of magnitude

doner is also on a stick, its the gigantic 50kg lump on a stick that they slice bits off of

in america doner/gyro/shwarma is called "al pastor" on the street

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
al pastor was christian lebanese-mexicans, it can have pork

just try to put pork in a shwarma and serve it to an arab muslim peep, see if theyre ok w that

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

if you see this thing and want to eat it it will 99% of the time be called "al pastor" I know that our restaurants have shwarma/gyro/doner but you won't see street vendors with it

edit: idk if gyro/doner/shwarma/pastor necessitate a meat since I've seen chicken, beef, lamb, mixed...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://restaurantguru.com/Tacos-Goku-Santa-Lucia-del-Camino

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I had no idea what al pastor was until we were ordering from this taco place once and they just had it on the menu without any description and I looked it up on my phone and went "oh hell that sounds real good" and ordered it and it was in fact real good, everyone should give it a try if you find a place that makes tacos al pastor.

That's my taco tale thanks for reading

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Weirdly this isn't even the first time I've seen a taco place decorated with Goku wall murals

e: I'm 90% sure the one I went to was a Tijuana Flats and I'm 100% sure the Goku was drawn way worse than that, had big bug eyes and was generally very unnerving

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 02:24 on Nov 21, 2021

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Weirdly this isn't even the first time I've seen a taco place decorated with Goku wall murals

e: I'm 90% sure the one I went to was a Tijuana Flats and I'm 100% sure the Goku was drawn way worse than that, had big bug eyes and was generally very unnerving

DBZ is immensely popular in latin america

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

the worse the goku, the better the tacos

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That may be true, but Tijuana Flats is about as "latin american" as taco bell, it was started by a white dude in central Florida in 1995 :v:

I actually didn't realize it hadn't become nationwide (or at least like, eastern-seaboard-wide) yet, they're all over the place here. Pretty mediocre food, their one claim to fame was having a bunch of different hot sauces that were genuinely hot and you could just slather all over everything. I remember when they first came to town growing up there were maybe 10-15 different sauces and they'd cycle them out for new ones regularly and stuff, but now they've condensed it down to maybe 4 or 5 of the same flavors and the whole thing is barely any different from every other chain burrito joint out there.

The other notable thing is each location would have the walls covered in murals done by local artists (hence the Goku), but the one or two times I've been in one recently they seem to have just given up on that for a more uniform sterile corporate approved look.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
$6 cupcakes :0)

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Blarghalt posted:

DBZ is immensely popular in latin america

but how did they feel about DB Super?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

now that's some goldbelly poo poo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
$5.70 per cupcake gets me a big mac meal here

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

I don’t know where you all live but you can totally find gyros all over America. Often from a food truck but also from restaurants. Sometimes I get excellent ones from the halal places nearby. Gyro meat is almost always lamb, but cheaper ones might be a lamb/chicken/beef combo.

You can also find shawarma, same deal. Sometimes the same restaurant serves both. Can be lamb, or chicken or beef or again, a mix.

In addition, those places often also have meat on a stick style kebabs.

Al pastor is indeed pork with pineapple. It’s easier to find than the rest, and is always my go to meat when I get tacos or burritos.

You’ll find both restaurants and street vendors with the big meat on a spit that they shave slices of off.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Palladium posted:

$5.70 per cupcake gets me a big mac meal here

there is a Peanut Butter of the Month in here. 2 jars, $34.95/mo

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

but how did they feel about DB Super?

This much
https://twitter.com/kalebprime/status/975586869315588096
https://www.cracked.com/article_28700_dragon-ball-almost-caused-diplomatic-fight-between-japan-mexico.html

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DarkEuphoria posted:

I don’t know where you all live but you can totally find gyros all over America.

I think you may be shocked by the kebab shop density in europe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

goku says, "gently caress copyright, dude!!!!"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Japan suddenly giving a gently caress about copyright is really funny considering like, everything else they did in the last 50 or so years

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Shame Boy posted:

Japan suddenly giving a gently caress about copyright is really funny considering like, everything else they did in the last 50 or so years

the dragon ball lawyers have been trigger happy for a few years now, it's why dbz abridged had to end after the cell saga and they keep having to reupload random episodes despite being firmly entrenched in fair use territory

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

"our life expectancy will drop like a rock but it's worth it for the Dow to be always at record highs!"

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

generating wealth for investors is the american way

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Y'know that scene in Soylent Green where he's in some rich guy's apartment and the rich guy has such luxuries as "strawberry jam", so he steals a spoonful of it to share with his friend? I'm pretty sure that's an accurate portrayal of the average millennial's retirement situation.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

hobbesmaster posted:

I think you may be shocked by the kebab shop density in europe.

yeah I moved from the us to london and there’s absolutely no comparison in terms of kebab shops vs whatever Greek/Turk places you can find in the US. they fill roughly the same niche as Mexican food in the US.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

thank you for explaining that turkey is like europe’s mexico, the fog of confusion has been lifted for us all

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You seem to have reading comprehension issues

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
why are they making so many westerns wtf

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Back before the beer scene went Oops All IPAs, you could find interesting imports if you knew where to look. In those days I bought a $30-$40 750ml of Cantillon lambic once per year around my birthday.

Cantillon has a unique taste and can only be produced in small, tempermental batches that take years to produce, which justified paying $30 annually as a treat.

Now I ask, as someone who understands paying a premium for good food, how the gently caress do you justify $70 monthly for red velvet cupcakes? Who even is the audience here?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Back before the beer scene went Oops All IPAs, you could find interesting imports if you knew where to look. In those days I bought a $30-$40 750ml of Cantillon lambic once per year around my birthday.

Cantillon has a unique taste and can only be produced in small, tempermental batches that take years to produce, which justified paying $30 annually as a treat.

Now I ask, as someone who understands paying a premium for good food, how the gently caress do you justify $70 monthly for red velvet cupcakes? Who even is the audience here?

This joke is so obvious it feels like a goddamn trap. If you’re unaware, Lowtax used forums donations he said were necessary to keep the lights on for a cookie subscription just like this. His was from a company called Goldbelly, so that was what they did.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Arivia posted:

This joke is so obvious it feels like a goddamn trap. If you’re unaware, Lowtax used forums donations he said were necessary to keep the lights on for a cookie subscription just like this. His was from a company called Goldbelly, so that was what they did.

If he didn't do that, imagine how much he would've had to pay in child support! He had to do it!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ahhh Richard I've got nothing against ya, I just heard there was Gold in your Belly

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Arivia posted:

Lowtax is a pretty bad customer base nowadays, though, on account of him being dead.

The real customer base, of course, is morons and idiots who can't follow simple recipes. So I guess a lot of people.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BonHair posted:

Lowtax is a pretty bad customer base nowadays, though, on account of him being dead.

The real customer base, of course, is morons and idiots who can't follow simple recipes. So I guess a lot of people.

i've had cheap cupcakes from the grocery store that are like $5 for half a dozen and expensive ones from a gourmet bakery that are like $5 a cupcake.

and the fancy ones are better....but are they %500 better?

no...maybe....50-75% better tops

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1462443195233673219

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

there’s a club for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

there’s a pasta of the month (2 bags of pasta and 2 sauces for $38/mo) and an ice cream of the month (4 for $75/mo), but I’ll finish off with this.

everyone loves bagels right?!