Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
For all the talk about glitch vs glitchless speedruns, I think it's notable that there is no Glitchless category for Metroid Dread. The closest it gets is No Major Glitches which still allows some glitches which have some pretty major effects on the routing. Personally I'd like it if there was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

So folks told me there’s a log of things you’ve done to help you out. The thing is after not playing for a week “you got the wide beam” and “you encountered emmi 0458” still leaves me a bit lost at sea. The map is absolutely massive and I can’t remember where I came from or what I was doing. I loaded up the game on the train and just kind of wandered around, looking for a wide beam door, and finding I’d opened them all or couldn’t get to them or they led to dead ends :/

Any help here?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

So folks told me there’s a log of things you’ve done to help you out. The thing is after not playing for a week “you got the wide beam” and “you encountered emmi 0458” still leaves me a bit lost at sea. The map is absolutely massive and I can’t remember where I came from or what I was doing. I loaded up the game on the train and just kind of wandered around, looking for a wide beam door, and finding I’d opened them all or couldn’t get to them or they led to dead ends :/

Any help here?

After getting the Wide Beam you should have some stuff to open up in Cataris with it which leads to getting the Morph Ball from the EMMI there. Retrieving that, the game will use the level design to basically lead you to a teleporter in Cataris that will take you to Artaria, where you'll get the Varia Suit.

More specifically, from the Dairon (where you got Wide Beam) transport room in Cataris travel down and the to the left back to the EMMI area. There is/was a wide beam cover in the bottom left of the room. In the next room, climb to the very top left to get to the Central Unit room.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 21, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Eopia posted:

For all the talk about glitch vs glitchless speedruns, I think it's notable that there is no Glitchless category for Metroid Dread. The closest it gets is No Major Glitches which still allows some glitches which have some pretty major effects on the routing. Personally I'd like it if there was.

If you want it, run it. Speedruns are not a spectator sport.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

If you want it, run it. Speedruns are not a spectator sport.

Laughs in GDQ

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Bleck posted:

That's a robot, though.

I was talking about this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9SvNBOaZhY&t=219s

His posture is conveying "oh poo poo get the gently caress outta here!!" and he crumbles up when you touch him, I always took it as a living chozo that got metroided

Kassad posted:

I think we get that idea from Metroid Prime? The Chozo are definitely extinct on that planet.

Yeah, that definitely contributed to it, now that you mention

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I was talking about this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9SvNBOaZhY&t=219s

His posture is conveying "oh poo poo get the gently caress outta here!!" and he crumbles up when you touch him, I always took it as a living chozo that got metroided

Yeah, that definitely contributed to it, now that you mention

Definitely agreed. Everything about Prime gave the vibe of the Chozo being wise, ancient, mystical precursors, rather than a bunch of space jackasses who left all their junk lying around on countless worlds.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I do think with the Chozo you can sort of have it both ways, where the Tallon Chozo are a bit older and prophesized Samus' coming to deal with the Leviathan Seed, and have the modern Chozo who started a chain of events with the creation of the Metroids to put the X in check.

As for the video clip, I never thought of the Torizo as the real Chozo, just bio-mechanical guardians they invented to keep Samus' upgrades safeguarded.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Given that Dread seems to have canonized multiple "tribes" of Chozo that seem okay with genociding each other, we probably can't really talk about "The Chozo" as a singular society that have all disappeared into antiquity. Whatever unified Chozo civilization there once was seems to have fragmented into a bunch of weird enclaves, with some having died out centuries ago, some having disappeared within living memory, and some living remnants holding out and trying to make a legacy for themselves still.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What we do know is there are a number of X infested chozo warriors roaming the galaxy and we gotta deal with that poo poo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
X-infected Chozo seemed like a galactic civilization level threat, but now we know that a lot of Chozo, for all their super technology, are actually dumb as poo poo.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

skaianDestiny posted:

The regular missiles deal 100 damage, the super/ice missiles deal 300 damage, and each single lock on of storm missiles shoots 3 missiles each dealing 100 damage, however it not only ignores invincibility frames and electricity, but you're capable of moving around and avoiding things after you've pressed the button to fire once as opposed to sitting still and firing super/ice missiles, and locking on with all 5 reticles will deal 1500 damage in less time than it takes to fire super/ice missiles 5 times. Thus storm missiles are basically your best damage option against bosses.

Ice Missiles deal 400 vs the 300 from a Storm Missile lock, so it ends up being a bit more damage if you can just sit and fire, but yeah on like raven beak P2 you can lock on all the time instead of missing with Ices. Plasma Beam is the strongest if you want to break your fingers and can press fast. I've seen people kill the Infected Chozos in seconds, it's crazy. Also Cross Bombs do a lot of damage if you want to style on Raven Beak.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What am supposed to do with this deactivated emmi right after the assassin fight? no idea how to get out of here.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
you should have gotten a significant power-up in that room.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t think I did?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

What am supposed to do with this deactivated emmi right after the assassin fight? no idea how to get out of here.

If you mean in Ferenia they showed a lock being opened somewhere else. Its in the water area.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah but it’s the immediate area I have no idea how to get out of. There’s the room I killed the miniboss in, and the the next room has the frozen emmi, and the there is only one exit that is blocked by a fan.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but it’s the immediate area I have no idea how to get out of. There’s the room I killed the miniboss in, and the the next room has the frozen emmi, and the there is only one exit that is blocked by a fan.

You have speed booster.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

veni veni veni posted:

If by "fan" you mean like an air duct (the narrow EMMI Valves) and not the big ones that blow you away, you're overlooking something in the room between the miniboss arena and the EMMI zone. Look up.

If you do mean like a big circular fan that blows you away, your normal running speed isn't fast enough. Run faster than that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So it turns out that there's another quick kill technique with Kraid that's even more out of the way to do than the bomb kill:

https://twitter.com/yassu_yassu/status/1459797684340985858

"I tried what was written in Famitsu's strategy guide. When Kraid's eyes are shining, if you do a flash shift, it will shift to the grab/counter sequence."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't realize or forgot I could run through the wind with the speed boost. Thanks.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

TaurusOxford posted:

So it turns out that there's another quick kill technique with Kraid that's even more out of the way to do than the bomb kill:

"I tried what was written in Famitsu's strategy guide. When Kraid's eyes are shining, if you do a flash shift, it will shift to the grab/counter sequence."

What the christ oh my god.

That's great.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

Sweet Christ :stare:

Her entire mood in the cutscene before they is utter disdain, I guess it it shouldn’t have come as a surprise that there was another way to kill that big dumb bastard.

I wonder if there are any more lurking out there? :getin:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Does anyone have a link to the tweet of euphronius flipping out about not being able to jump?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
So where does everyone see the franchise going next (excluding prime 4)

My rambling predictions/disorganized thoughts for Metroid 6:

I think it's pretty clear the X will be the major villain/threat for the next storyline. I like the X and they really justify sending Samus on missions by herself, but they open the door to resident evil style monsters like Salazar or Excella or Irving or probably a million other characters that form a biomass blob monster. I personally didn't think too much of the raven beak/kraid supermonster, thankfully it wasn't around long. I hope the series keeps leaning towards horror but not in a resident evil blob monster way.

Samus will probably continue to go super saiyan at story critical moments.

I'd love any kind of followup regarding the federation and Samus being in trouble with them, but it looks like that ship has sailed. We do know that the federation/Excelion have the capacity to produce EMMIs. So the federation could realistically pose as a significant threat to her if the story went that way.

I've seen people mention a more open world game setup where you can accept bounties. That would be interesting and should flesh out the universe a lot but a wouldn't want it to interfere with the metroidvania style gameplay. Fusion had a similar flow and it worked fine at the expense of the isolation that Metroids 1-3 have.

Finally, I hope they keep it 2D. Other M's 3d gameplay legitimately had a few merits but the streamlined 2d system mercury steam has is on another level and I hope they can further iterate on it

Oh yeah and hopefully it doesn't take 20 years

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

TaurusOxford posted:

God gently caress Samus is so loving badass

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I love that they added a bunch of ways to just loving ruin Kraid's day.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Renegret posted:

Does it have to be a flash shift or can you just jump? Kraid keeps getting closer and closer...you might be able to just hop in there!

Makes me think there's some other cutscenes we don't know about because people are too straightforward in killing bosses?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

i love metroid dread

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Echophonic posted:

I love that they added a bunch of ways to just loving ruin Kraid's day.

It actually convinces me that there was originally meant to be a second fight with Kraid or a potential Kraid-X. Getting bombs before Kraid is already awkward with the backtracking required but Flash Shift before Kraid is even more absurd.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The director of Dread really understands the medium, and truly gets both “Show, Don’t Tell” and “Less is More”. We all have a much better idea of who Samus is after this game, or at least how she behaves, instead just having to fill in the gaps with our imagination because Super Metroid locked idle animations. One thing I noticed a lot is how her sudden, precise movements are extremely bird like. The way she deftly sidesteps and side-eyes everything really feels like how a woman raised by ninja birds would move.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The United States posted:

X-infected Chozo seemed like a galactic civilization level threat, but now we know that a lot of Chozo, for all their super technology, are actually dumb as poo poo.

Chozo are just space America.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I generally want a Metroid game that upends gameplay even more by leaning heavily into the melee mechanics. I want Samus to have one of those big fuckoff spears that the Chozo warriors use. I want to see what she can do without a gun. Doesn’t have to be the whole game or anything – I just think Mercury Steam could do something pretty interesting in that direction.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

gimmick game where she has only the Power Beam, and all the other upgrades instead become different kinds of melee styles and weapons she uses, like Chozo Style, Federation Military Style, Hunter Style, etc.

how do you even concept this right? easy. you make Mercury Steam do the Zelda 2 remake first.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Would be legitimately funny to have a metroid game where the late game ultra powerful upgrade is just the basic Power Beam.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TaurusOxford posted:

wtf

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when they make Metroid 6 I would like if they took a page out of Prime’s book and put in some new beams and suits outside of the standard Super Metroid hierarchy. It was cool having a different endgame look for Samus in each game.

I know Doomslayer Samus is there and that’s cool but you only get that for the escape sequence after you’ve already beaten the final boss

Augus fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 23, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ikanreed posted:

Chozo are just space America.
The Federation are space America.

The Chozo are... I dunno, space Britain? Had a vast galaxy-spanning empire that crumbled? The last of them are insular and impotently revanchist?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No more morph ball, speed booster, grapple beam etc etc - I want a completely new suite of upgrades next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Congratulations everyone you just designed Ori and the Will of the Wisp, great job, break for lunch.