Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Give it to Phil Jones, he's played under more Man United managers than any player in history and so *must* be the best person for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is Carrick a good driver?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Is Tony Pulis available?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Hope Carrick has a new manager bounce, twats Chelsea and gets given it until May

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Give it to Phil Jones, he's played under more Man United managers than any player in history and so *must* be the best person for the job.

Good pub quiz stat OP

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

c0burn posted:

Hope Carrick has a new manager bounce, twats Chelsea and gets given it until May
May 2025.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

c0burn posted:

Man United might not thank me, but get the contract out, put it on the table, let him sign it, let him write whatever numbers he wants to put on there -- given what he's done since he's come in -- and let him sign the contract and go.

Carrick's at the wheel, man -- he's doing his thing. Man United are back!

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Looke posted:

Watford ruining the fun for everyone, hope the cunts get relegated

Yep, ruined our invincibles season 2 years ago, and now they've gotten Ole sacked. Nuke them from orbit IMO.

The United board are cowards, by the way. It needs to be remembered that indeed, the last time a top 4 team lost by a 3-goal margin at Vicarage Road that team then went on to win the league title a few months later. Ole deserved more time.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sad for Ole. He obviously couldn't turn it around but sacking him isn't going to change anything.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Sad for Ole. He obviously couldn't turn it around but sacking him isn't going to change anything.

Yeah honestly I feel bad for the guy. He obviously cared a poo poo load about the clubs and the fans.

Realistically he shouldn't have ever been more than a caretaker to carry them towards the end of the season he took over. I don't think his mates in the punditry positions helped out much tbh.

But to give him credit, he overachieved based on his CV and did a good job of getting rid of the funk left by Mourniho. He was just clearly out of his depth and, like I said, should never have been more than a caretaker manager.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

He was originally only going to be a caretaker after Mourinho left, and then he won something like twelve games on the bounce and it was impossible at that point to not give him a permanent contract

How much of that was his tactical nous that people have now sussed out, and how much of that was Luke Shaw deciding that he wanted to win a Ballon d'Or powered by pure spite like he's in a Van Damme movie, I guess we'll have to wait for the books

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Best post of the week:. "Chelsea dealt massive blow as Harry Maguire suspended for next week's game"

https://redd.it/qy96ay

Happy Sunday, KTBFFH

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Not winning the Europa League probably finished him off. Even a poo poo scrubby win on penalties would have been enough to be able to point at silverware and keep the players on board. As it is, I think faith had been lost before this season even started, and the belief that Solskjaer was working towards something was gone. Giving him a new contract under those circumstances was bonkers.

I think Solskjaer will be more fondly remembered as a manager than Mourinho or Van Gaal despite both of them delivering trophies. A shame that he couldn't do the same.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

LVG was rat hosed by Utd because Mou became available

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

CyberPingu posted:

LVG was rat hosed by Utd because Mou became available

He also had the team playing incredibly boring football. Although I'm not sure why anyone expected that to change under Jose.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Why not? Under Solskjaer United were heading for a midtable finish at best. They're 6 points off fourth and the teams above them are Arsenal, Wolves and West Ham. United's squad is better than any of those and with the right manager could easily overhaul them this season. If it's a good appointment, at worst they'll have more time to work with the squad before next season, similar to when Klopp came in at Liverpool. Having said that, I have no idea who the right appointment is out of who is available. Comedy answer is Carrick gets a few good wins and they "let him write whatever numbers he wants to put on there" which is obviously what we're all hoping for.

If it is Carrick for the season, I would guess they're waiting out Pochettino.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Yeah, if just for the fact that Solskjaer tried to make United play more like they did in the Ferguson years, even if they were inconsistent in doing it, he'll likely be remembered more fondly than managers who spent a billion pounds on 30-somethings to have 30% possession against Sunderland.

I would hope that like Lampard at Chelsea, he's left most of the pieces in place for someone to come in and build on, rather than yet another manager who wants to rebuild the entire club in his image and then leaves after two years.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah honestly I feel bad for the guy.

Realistically he shouldn't have ever been more than a caretaker to carry them towards the end of the season he took over. I don't think his mates in the punditry positions helped out much tbh.

But to give him credit, he overachieved based on his CV and did a good job of getting rid of the funk left by Mourniho. He was just clearly out of his depth and, like I said, should never have been more than a caretaker manager.

Mickolution posted:

Why not? Under Solskjaer United were heading for a midtable finish at best. They're 6 points off fourth and the teams above them are Arsenal, Wolves and West Ham. United's squad is better than any of those <snip>

It's more than that. I mean you're right, but the permanent appointment of him was a symptom of a deeper seated problem at the club: The Glazers, their "ambitions" and complete lack of any football knowledge/strategy across the club. Far more proven managers have passed through since SAF retired, none have done any better. You can argue silverware for LVG and Mourinho but LVG was unceremoniously sacked right after winning a trophy because no CL and Mou wiped out any of his achievements with the absolutely miserable atmosphere he brought with him, no doubt worsened by having to deal with the poo poo show above him.

There's clearly no ambition other than "get top 4 every season", made obvious by the fact that to improve on Ole's prior season performances and league finishes, we need a manager that's going to be able to go toe to toe with Tuchel, Klopp, and Pep and that's not even considering European competition.

The players need to take a long hard look at themselves as well. Whatever Ole's shortcomings, I put the blame for Maguire's braindead shambling around the pitch squarely on his shoulders like his huge fuckin head. Failure to bring in quality cover for Wan Bisaka has been brutally exposed this season and anyone in charge of long term planning (lol) and transfers should have been sacked for starting yet another season with McFred in midfield, backed up by none other than the aging and ever slowing bones of Matic. If you look at the other teams in the league that use a midfield 2 or 3, ours is easily a bottom half midfield.

Ole's legacy should be looked back on as the biggest new manager bounce in history and I doubt very much lightning will strike twice in that regard whomever comes in next.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 21, 2021

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

as a side note, as someone who has five tedious jokes that were driven into the ground within the first six months of the internet, but that I at least have the dignity to rotate through, I will happily vote for any politician who will make the trains run on time grind anyone who texts a major media outlet "this is a terrible decision... FoR a ChElSeA fAn!!" into a fine paste

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

anyone in charge of long term planning (lol) and transfers should have been sacked for starting yet another season with McFred in midfield, backed up by none other than the aging and ever slowing bones of Matic. If you look at the other teams in the league that use a midfield 2 or 3, ours is easily a bottom half midfield.

I mean he had van de beek just sitting around doing jack poo poo for the best part of 18 months while mcfred hopelessly flailed around together. he could have, you know... actually given him a chance to play

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

It's more than that. I mean you're right, but the permanent appointment of him was a symptom of a deeper seated problem at the club: The Glazers, their "ambitions" and complete lack of any football knowledge/strategy across the club. Far more proven managers have passed through since SAF retired, none have done any better. You can argue silverware for LVG and Mourinho but LVG was unceremoniously sacked right after winning a trophy because no CL and Mou wiped out any of his achievements with the absolutely miserable atmosphere he brought with him, no doubt worsened by having to deal with the poo poo show above him.

Yep. It's the absence of any football strategy that's killed all three recent managers, and I assume is preventing them from attracting a truly top tier manager to replace them.

None of Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Nagelsman, or Enrique would come aboard any team without assurances about the quality of the back room teams, the process for doing transfers and the long term aims of the club.

And all United can say is "everything is run by our disgraced marketing manager who we're considering hiring back as a contractor because we can't do without him".

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/FootballJOE/status/1462400501526446081

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

tarbrush posted:

Yep. It's the absence of any football strategy that's killed all three recent managers, and I assume is preventing them from attracting a truly top tier manager to replace them.

None of Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Nagelsman, or Enrique would come aboard any team without assurances about the quality of the back room teams, the process for doing transfers and the long term aims of the club.

And all United can say is "everything is run by our disgraced marketing manager who we're considering hiring back as a contractor because we can't do without him".

I think you're being a bit optimistic here. Tuchel would 100% have taken the man utd job if it was Ole getting fired instead of Lampard when he was available.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

These days they throw you in jail just for using british tactics

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

P

O

O

S

H

I

T

E

D

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the sevilla manager seems like he knows what he's doing maybe they go for him

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

good ebening

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I will manage Manchester United and I will maximize shareholder value

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

I mean he had van de beek just sitting around doing jack poo poo for the best part of 18 months while mcfred hopelessly flailed around together. he could have, you know... actually given him a chance to play

Oh noted deep lying playmaker/defensive midfielder Donny Van de Beek?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Oh noted deep lying playmaker/defensive midfielder Donny Van de Beek?

Who, other than yesterday, looked shite whenever he played

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I will manage Manchester United and I will maximize shareholder value

would you take ronaldo off if you were down to 10 men

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

paddyboat posted:

Lmao. You aren't ever allowed to take Ronaldo off

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Agreed. To quote Ferguson, when he publicly undermined Ole: You should always start with your best players.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

CyberPingu posted:

your hired

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

paddyboat posted:

No because this does not maximize shareholder value

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

paddyboat posted:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Time for Mourinho Mk 5 imo

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

imagine if they had seen the writing on the wall and fired him in time to get conte

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Karl Sharks posted:

imagine if they had seen the writing on the wall and fired him in time to get conte

They very much did not want conte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Ole's sacking is terrible news....for Chelsea :D :D