Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After playing Super Mario Odyssey I can only conclude that Mario was Bowser the whole time.

Commander Keene posted:

That's also the moral of the original Hyrule Warriors.

I somehow completely forgot that the plot of Hyrule Warriors was "Cia is really sad she cannot gently caress Link so she turns evil to try and kill Zelda and then gently caress Link. This causes her to split into two people, and the second person also wants to gently caress Link, but without the killing Zelda part."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Does GameStop still do that thing where they for some reason open games and still sell them as “new”?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

nemesis_hub posted:

Does GameStop still do that thing where they for some reason open games and still sell them as “new”?

Yes but they also let you know that before you pay for a thing.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

anatomi posted:

That would empty out the thread completely. The single unifier for goons - the goonifier if you will - is terrible opinions.

hey guys i'm playing ff7 (not on my switch tho) and it seems like cloud is the bad guy? maybe DON'T do an ecoterrorism, king?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Alright but check this out:

What if Superman was bad?

Surprised no one has ever done that story. The hero being bad is such an incredibly untapped well that intellectuals like myself would enjoy.

Not sure if you're being ironic here but there was a promising comic called Irredeemable about a Superman figure who snaps and starts slaughtering the human race. At one point he forces the heroes to pick a handful of innocent bystanders. He spares those bystanders and murders the rest of the country by submerging it in the ocean to show the heroes what it's like to be acutely aware of all the death and destruction in the world but only be able to save a few people at a time.

The series started off promising and went off the rails so if you're interested feel free to read until the exact moment when you get bored and then you're cleared to put it down and never look at it again!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Please buy astral chain and also perma the bad Zelda post guy for making bad posts

Speaking of super-cops:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is good (enough). It's got enough of FFT's blood in there that you can tell you are playing a tactics game. It has rather in-depth job system too. You get all the skills from your main job and you can then equip another side job if you like and passives from different occupations to mix and match an ultimate soldier. I probably won't go into it that hard because while I think job systems in games are very cool they tend to give me choice paralysis and I just don't advance. So I'll be going with what's coolest to me and not worry too much about it.

It's clearly a long game. I've played some 4 hours and am only halfway through chapter 1 of 6. That said, one of it's biggest issues is how much time playing is spent in menus. It's not so much that it's clunky but I guess it's just not streamlined. After a battle a lot of time will be spent learning new skills, changing classes, assigning new skills, equipping and the like. If you like the genre and are ok with that it's fine, but I don't recall it being quite so bad in similar games though. Likewise battles can be slow.

There's not a lot of "story" characters as of yet so you literally recruit soldiers. It's convenient but it has that quality of fighting with nobodies. I've grown attached to my rag-tag group of heroes, but some people may prefer a genuine cast compared to this. It also means you can just hire people if you're short on hands. The reason you don't have a big cast either is because you only field 6 units at a time, I have no doubt I'll be swapping between 6-10 units overall, so recruiting more than that will get redundant.

The game is very user friendly though. There's a gamut of options to make things easier or harder and they're always accessible which is nice. If you someone gently caress yourself over you can always go back to previous stages for random battles, to level up a touch and the options really do provide you with all sorts of ways to equalize or destabilize the playing field. And for having complained about the graphics so much, it doesn't look quite as bad on the small screen and when in motion. You can get used to it.

The reason I mentioned super-cops is because you're playing one. At least from what I gather you're essentially pulling a Serpico, which is fine, but I can't deny that playing "police" is something I'm a touch ambivalent about doing these days.

Best thing about it is the item usage system. You have a shared inventory with your whole party for items, and you can use them a limited amount of times per battle (the pool is refreshed for every battle). So for example you start with 2 potions per battle no matter whether or not you use them. It's good because it encourages item use, something a lot of rpg players don't do. You can further expand the items in your inventory via crafting, which isn't elegantly done again, but is nice. Definitely a system I would like to see in different games.

Overall, I paid 8.64 euro for this game. I'll get my money's worth. I don't even think I'd be that bitter at the standard 25 euro price either though. It's clearly made by a small group of people since it lacks some of the slickness of a modern production, but frankly it's feels rather competent in its own right. If you like FFT you could do a whole lot worse, and if you like job systems (at first glance it reminded me of Tangledeep) this one has plenty of that action in it. I realize Triangle Strategy is out shortly, but in the meantime, or in addition to it, you've got this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wish the new pokemon was cheaper/on sale. It's not that I can't afford it, it just feels like a lot and I can't escape frugal gamer brain on this one.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Len posted:

Yes but they also let you know that before you pay for a thing.

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I just got the 299 Switch bundle with Mario Kart and NSO after sitting out the last couple of console generations. I’m excited!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

nemesis_hub posted:

Sure but at these prices who cares? Also the sale includes digital download codes for the main Nintendo games - way cheaper than they've ever been on the eShop!

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 21, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
/

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Not sure if you're being ironic here but there was a promising comic called Irredeemable about a Superman figure who snaps and starts slaughtering the human race. At one point he forces the heroes to pick a handful of innocent bystanders. He spares those bystanders and murders the rest of the country by submerging it in the ocean to show the heroes what it's like to be acutely aware of all the death and destruction in the world but only be able to save a few people at a time.

The series started off promising and went off the rails so if you're interested feel free to read until the exact moment when you get bored and then you're cleared to put it down and never look at it again!

Really, you're not sure if he was being ironic in his sarcastic post mocking the dumb Zelda guy that uses the word "intellectuals"?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The United States posted:

Sure but at these prices who cares? Also the sale includes digital download codes for the main Nintendo games - way cheaper than they've ever been on the eShop!

drat, having digital on sale for half off is tempting.

Kinda tempted to give Xenoblade 1 another shot, or maybe Kirby or Paper Mario...

Too many choices. drat you and your many quality games, Nintendo!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Twelve by Pies posted:

After playing Super Mario Odyssey I can only conclude that Mario was Bowser the whole time.

I somehow completely forgot that the plot of Hyrule Warriors was "Cia is really sad she cannot gently caress Link so she turns evil to try and kill Zelda and then gently caress Link. This causes her to split into two people, and the second person also wants to gently caress Link, but without the killing Zelda part."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Actual effort post, because I guess why not.

In BotW because you find out in flashbacks that the reason Calamity Ganon succeeded in loving things up was that the king and Zelda were both really stressed out by the death of the queen, Zelda's mom. Afterwards King Rhoam found out about the prophecy of Ganon destroying Hyrule and put a lot of pressure on Zelda to awaken her magic powers to seal Ganon away. Zelda on the other hand wanted to play with robots, which made the king think she wasn't taking her duty seriously and would constantly reprimand her for playing with the robots, which stressed her out even more. All this stress caused Zelda to fail to awaken her powers, which meant Ganon wins.

In Age of Calamity on the other hand, King Rhoam realizes he's been too harsh on Zelda and that Terrako has been a huge help to the Hyrule forces, so he accepts that Zelda should get to play with robots. This leads to Zelda not being stressed out and succeeding in awakening her powers.

However the message from this is not "there is a dark side to Hyrule and the royal family is secretly evil and Zelda was Ganon all along" because that is an insane theory that can only be reached by ignoring everything about the Zelda series. The message is "King Rhoam was a Bad Dad for putting too much pressure on his daughter."

It's not even like the past kings of Hyrule were all bad or anything, either. All of them were presented as pretty decent guys, hell the Great King mentioned in Zelda II ruled with the power of the unified Triforce. The most you can blame them for is getting tricked by Ganondorf/Agahnim in OoT/LttP, which okay maybe they weren't the brightest guys but that hardly makes them dark or evil. Also the king in Minish Cap gets possessed by Vaati, but again, not really his fault. And of course King Harkinian tried to think of how he could help defeat Ganon, when he wasn't wondering what was for dinner.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's no subtext because <a bunch of reasons that involve interpreting the text strictly literally>

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nemesis_hub posted:

Also if you call in and they have a game it's always the last copy. So not only with the box be open but it'll have that sticker that leaves residue no matter what you do.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Twelve by Pies posted:

However the message from this is not "there is a dark side to Hyrule and the royal family is secretly evil and Zelda was Ganon all along" because that is an insane theory that can only be reached by ignoring everything about the Zelda series. The message is "King Rhoam was a Bad Dad for putting too much pressure on his daughter."

It's not even like the past kings of Hyrule were all bad or anything, either. All of them were presented as pretty decent guys, hell the Great King mentioned in Zelda II ruled with the power of the unified Triforce. The most you can blame them for is getting tricked by Ganondorf/Agahnim in OoT/LttP, which okay maybe they weren't the brightest guys but that hardly makes them dark or evil. Also the king in Minish Cap gets possessed by Vaati, but again, not really his fault. And of course King Harkinian tried to think of how he could help defeat Ganon, when he wasn't wondering what was for dinner.
"Hey guys maybe Hyrule is at least as evil as most historical monarchies" has been kicking around the Zelda canon since at least Ocarina of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdNXTpgTqZ8

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bought Xenoblade 1 today. It looks and feels so much better than the Wii version

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

Really, you're not sure if he was being ironic in his sarcastic post mocking the dumb Zelda guy that uses the word "intellectuals"?

I was just excited to talk about that bad comic.

Anyway, picked up BotW for half off, thanks thread! Needed a "wandering around pretty wilderness" sized hole to fill since finishing SotC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Twilight Princess confirmed as the best Zelda.
https://twitter.com/Reggie/status/1462133272037638144

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How's Kirby Star Allies?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The United States posted:

"Hey guys maybe Hyrule is at least as evil as most historical monarchies" has been kicking around the Zelda canon since at least Ocarina of Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdNXTpgTqZ8

I don't know why, but this "Is X evil instead of not evil?"-thing seems so utterly banal and pointless to me. I can't even make fun of it, it's so deeply unfunny it sucks down all humor around it, too

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How's Kirby Star Allies?

It's dead easy but cute. It's pretty good Kirby platforming action. It doesn't quite reach the highs of Robobot, but it's definitely not way way worse.

The post-game ups the difficulty significantly. As a fan of the series I got a huge kick out of the DLC characters which are callbacks to previous entries. The whole game is a love letter, quite literally, to the franchise in general, so if you are a fan of Kirby you shouldn't skip it. But as far as platformers go it's nothing special, and the copy abilities aren't all that unique. Even the "mixed" stuff they do here and there are rather rote (think Sword+Fire= Fire sword, and insert your element).

Overall, get it if you like Kirby, if you have young kids that could enjoy it as it's a terrific first platformer, but don't expect any challenge (until post-game but I don't count that since it's self-inflicted) or particular brilliance from this entry in the series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm looking SMTV a lot so far even though I've barely gotten anywhere. The economy is really tough at the start, I hope I get more macca soon.

Also the Mitama, is there any trick toward knowing their element? Or is it a complete guess. I guess there are the items that tell you the weakness and then I could pass and swap out what I need to kill one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm looking SMTV a lot so far even though I've barely gotten anywhere. The economy is really tough at the start, I hope I get more macca soon.

Also the Mitama, is there any trick toward knowing their element? Or is it a complete guess. I guess there are the items that tell you the weakness and then I could pass and swap out what I need to kill one.

always keep spyglasses for them (and bosses)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Spyglasses are cheap for a reason!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Bought Astral Chain from that Gamestop sale. Thinking of double dipping into BOTW just to have it digitally, but I dunno if I wanna drop $27 to do that. I haven’t played it through and it’s first on my eternal backlog. The great thing about carts versus discs is digital on other platforms make noise. Carts here do not. The only benefit I gain is convenience.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the problem is the switch boxes are too cool. they should have made them like the ps4/ps5 boxes where they are boring so im not tempted to get them

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ive seen this comic several times and maybe im dumb (im definitely dumb) but i don't understand it. why is gabon so happy at the end. because cia hosed everything up? and he likes that cuz he's evil? or it's a way to mess with the jackasses? who's the other guy in the first panel? why is the cia sequence colored like a flashback. did it happen before the first panel? that doesn't make sense.

thanks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyrule_Warriors?wprov=sfla1

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i played the game.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

b_d posted:

ive seen this comic several times and maybe im dumb (im definitely dumb) but i don't understand it. why is gabon so happy at the end. because cia hosed everything up? and he likes that cuz he's evil? or it's a way to mess with the jackasses? who's the other guy in the first panel? why is the cia sequence colored like a flashback. did it happen before the first panel? that doesn't make sense.

thanks.

Ganondorf is happy at the end because astral-project-telling Cia to go for Link caused a chain of events that ended with him being resurrected, which gives him the chance to gently caress with Link and Zelda again. The other guy in the first panel is The Commander, the main character of that particular comic, who is out drinking with Ganondorf. The Cia sequence is coloured that way because Ganondorf does not have a living body at that point and Cia is some kind of witch or whatever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
her design aside, cia was great in hyrule warriors. she was a very powerful magician but an atrocious commander, so all of her campaigns amounted to brute-forcing through enemy forces with spells and brainwashing her officers into compliance, until her allies all betray her, hyrule's forces start closing in, and she's reduced to replacing all her officers with mindless clones of link while hysterically insisting the hero will save her in the end

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Bought Astral Chain from that Gamestop sale. Thinking of double dipping into BOTW just to have it digitally, but I dunno if I wanna drop $27 to do that. I haven’t played it through and it’s first on my eternal backlog. The great thing about carts versus discs is digital on other platforms make noise. Carts here do not. The only benefit I gain is convenience.

Don't bother because once BotW goes into your cartridge slot you'll not want to swap it with anything else for a few months anyway

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I'd say BOTW is the one game I'll play if I can't be bothered to play anything else and that's why it's one of the few games I've bought digitally when a cart is available. It'd be too annoying otherwise.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
The Pokemon remakes are really good. I'm sad that someone got a leaked copy early before the day -1 patch came out and made a real bad first impression. I can't stop going to the underground to dig poo poo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What did the day 1 patch do besides add in music?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Just coming in to say that Dr. Mario 64 is the best Dr. Mario game of all time and that Nintendo Life's review of it is complete and utter bullshit

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What did the day 1 patch do besides add in music?

I heard the day 1 patch also included the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bleck posted:

Ganondorf is happy at the end because astral-project-telling Cia to go for Link caused a chain of events that ended with him being resurrected, which gives him the chance to gently caress with Link and Zelda again. The other guy in the first panel is The Commander, the main character of that particular comic, who is out drinking with Ganondorf. The Cia sequence is coloured that way because Ganondorf does not have a living body at that point and Cia is some kind of witch or whatever.

ok that makes sense. the first panel is still confusing then. is it before he became a ghost. or are they hanging out in some kind of meta bar where video game characters hang out even if they're ghosts.