Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They're alright on filler demons. They're worth a turn but not a slot, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do people use the Donum abilities

If you double down and use charge/concentrate it leads to really big hits.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BabyRyoga posted:

If you double down and use charge/concentrate it leads to really big hits.

Oh does it stack?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're kind of situational. But they do allow cool poo poo if you plan it well. The most actions one demon can take in a round is 2. So if you use charge/concentrate you're missing out on half the damage potential that you could've gotten out of them. If you have a weaker demon able to throw it for them though you can hit max damage potential. That said you need to make sure the extra damage is more than the casters damage potential, is better than using them as a healer or buffer, and that you don't lose damage potential by losing a press turn

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cheetah7071 posted:

They're alright on filler demons. They're worth a turn but not a slot, imo

I use one on a healer when there's nobody to heal, and if it seems cooler than a debuff

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm in the third area right now and the magic one from my buffin' demon on either the hero or on Idun is easily doing more damage than I'd get just attacking.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Minor 4th area spoilers i really do like that they end(?) things off with the closest thing the game has resembling a "traditional" open world level

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
ending questions

if i choose "destroy the throne" and proceed into empyrean, and then back out and do all the subquests, can I still get the 4th ending, or do all the requirements have to be already completed when you make that choice?

also, is the shiva superboss really required? i'm already running out of subquests and i'm several levels below that. whats the best way to level up and/or get gospels?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When Prayer of Luck and Agility say they're only applicable to a certain level, does that mean the demon's level or to a certain value of the stat

Since nobody answered this... You get +20 of every stat after that it stops working. This means a demon level 80 and up can't get the full effect but they start with higher stats anyways.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Do any demons innately have +9 or are you expected to max them out with sutras? I haven't used any till now because why bother but Alice will be sticking around for a while so I gave her the 3 Dark Sutras I have and then randomly found a fourth which was awesome. But my point is, if I want a demon to be as strong s they can be, will I have to have the required Sutras?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does V have anything like that thingie from Nocturne, where keeping your Pixie led to fun optional stuff later on? Or can I cram her in a bag with some other dudes and shake it to make new dudes?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The new ("new" because some of these have been going on since like, the DS games) clash pretty harshly with the rest of the game. Not just with the old designs either, but even with the other new designs and the game's characters. It's like designs from the fate series are bleeding over when a horde of random little anime girls and women fondling their giant bouncing boobs keep showing up for half of the side quests.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
One of the "Friends" is starting to drop some real red flags, I guess I know who the Law rep is gonna be.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, I beat the sidequest Fate of the Egyptians, but I can’t fuse Khonsu. I chose to spare him. Is there anything else I need to do that will unlock his special fusion?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

thetoughestbean posted:

So, I beat the sidequest Fate of the Egyptians, but I can’t fuse Khonsu. I chose to spare him. Is there anything else I need to do that will unlock his special fusion?

Keep going the quest isn't done yet

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Don't know if I agree too much with the str one...Too many setup turns required for it.

This is pretty similar to what I've seen for other phys builds. Query, though - how many points into Agility/Vitality? One video I saw had 149 Strength but the rest of his stats were unbalanced, so I'm not quite sure where the points went.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think my problem with smt v is the same as my problem with breath of the wild. I like the new gameplay shift but I don’t think the stuff the game loses in the trade off is worth it. If it was just a replacement for the world map and we still had proper towns and dungeons it would be perfect.

I actually really liked seeing the different npcs reacted to events in 4/apocalypse

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I liked the underground districts in SMT4 but don't miss them much here. The NPCs in Tokyo change their lines pretty often, too.

also, gently caress dungeons. the school section made me glad that this game is semi-open world

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
when can i ditch the nav in the 4th area, because the other option thst I can't take yet is Yatagarasu who is inexplicably also a drug dealer

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

when can i ditch the nav in the 4th area, because the other option thst I can't take yet is Yatagarasu who is inexplicably also a drug dealer

You'll have to get the 3 keys and progress a bit farther before she'll leave for PLOT REASONS

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Yo, for all who are into SMTV, how is it?

I don't follow games anymore, so I barely looked at it, but I found that Persona 5 was a major disappointment. From its pretentious story and, frankly, some hosed up and offensive moments (sexual harassment is bad, here's a joke about Ann in uncomfortable costume/situation), to poor pacing, I wasn't a fan.

Do SMT games have similar things? I've played some of Nocturne, but as far as I understand they're all different enough.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vookatos posted:

Yo, for all who are into SMTV, how is it?

I don't follow games anymore, so I barely looked at it, but I found that Persona 5 was a major disappointment. From its pretentious story and, frankly, some hosed up and offensive moments (sexual harassment is bad, here's a joke about Ann in uncomfortable costume/situation), to poor pacing, I wasn't a fan.

Do SMT games have similar things? I've played some of Nocturne, but as far as I understand they're all different enough.

I couldn't keep up with Persona 5 either (although I do have fond memories of 3 and 4.) The edgy story beats didn't engage me, and the character interaction was perpetually making me feel old and cranky. Woe Is Me: The Video Game. I am enjoying SMTV quite a bit, despite the poor framerate during exploration. I am not very far, but I strongly suspect there won't be any breaches of sensitive topics beyond religious overtones. If you can make it through the first big cutscene where Satan descends over Tokyo Tower to announce to the angels that God is dead, then you're probably in the clear.

enojy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 21, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
SMT games are usually always way more focused on gameplay and setting than character interaction.

Finishing 5 made me want to replay Strange Journey though, which is my favorite SMT game still.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The Ally buffs seems really good for a taunting/tanking demon?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the skill that's simultaneous taunt and def-up..... oh baybee,......,,.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

What I assume is the final boss of the second area is a very rude boy. Time to shake up my team again, after it loving smoked Setanta and Principality like...immediately.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Goddamn the... fourth (fifth?) boss (the tentacles one) is a pain in the rear end. Geared up to clear phase one only to get wrecked by an entire ability shift in phase two. The whole getting killed once to find out the moves then preemptively countering them thing is annoying.

Vookatos posted:

I'm about 20 hours in and it's pretty close to Nocturne and what I played of 4. The plot seems split between "old testament burn the world to save it" God/Law and the Devil/Chaos... which is everything that isn't old testament God. It doesn't seem as Twin Peaks-ish weird as 3, which I liked, but in terms of what you disliked about P5 the game aims way higher than that. It also means there isn't the interpersonal stuff from P3/4/5 and it's more focused on being a lot of gameplay systems and exploration with rare plot bits. If you like demon Pokemon, this is its best form yet.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Farg posted:

ending questions

if i choose "destroy the throne" and proceed into empyrean, and then back out and do all the subquests, can I still get the 4th ending, or do all the requirements have to be already completed when you make that choice?

also, is the shiva superboss really required? i'm already running out of subquests and i'm several levels below that. whats the best way to level up and/or get gospels?

You have until you beat the first boss post route split.

As for leveling. Just remember where the black Mitamas spawn on the maps and go there over and over. There's typically a few spots they always show up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mailer posted:

Goddamn the... fourth (fifth?) boss (the tentacles one) is a pain in the rear end. Geared up to clear phase one only to get wrecked by an entire ability shift in phase two. The whole getting killed once to find out the moves then preemptively countering them thing is annoying.

I'm about 20 hours in and it's pretty close to Nocturne and what I played of 4. The plot seems split between "old testament burn the world to save it" God/Law and the Devil/Chaos... which is everything that isn't old testament God. It doesn't seem as Twin Peaks-ish weird as 3, which I liked, but in terms of what you disliked about P5 the game aims way higher than that. It also means there isn't the interpersonal stuff from P3/4/5 and it's more focused on being a lot of gameplay systems and exploration with rare plot bits. If you like demon Pokemon, this is its best form yet.

The first time I fought that boss I almost had it dead, then he got off that skill that heals him to full and I died. Spiritually, then in the game. Pro-tip: It counts as a dark attack so if you have any kind of dark null items pop those.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also: status effects. even if bosses resist status effects that doesn't mean you can't proc them (unless it's null).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Area four question: Is there a recommended order for the bosses, or are they balanced in a way that there any order works well?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Area four question: Is there a recommended order for the bosses, or are they balanced in a way that there any order works well?

I found Vasuki to be the hardest by far so I saved him for last.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
They should all be around mid 70s I started with the lower right one. Edit: that really depends on your party as usual.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Basically I've run face first into the trap of "Imma use this one because he looks cool" and not paying even the remotest bit of attention to weaknesses. So I really only have myself to blame.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the real game is using essence fusion and incenses to force a cooler looking demon to be viable instead of just fusing an actual objectively better one

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also ive been using the limit break stuff that isn't "oops! all crits" and the one that basically casts debilitate + a random status effect on every enemy is so goddamn good

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I find that the crit limit break is kind of pointless once your team is set up such that you get 8 actions per turn anyway.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

KonvexKonkav posted:

I find that the crit limit break is kind of pointless once your team is set up such that you get 8 actions per turn anyway.

It is absurd because you can use it to deal absurd damage even without weakness coverage or take advantage of the "does double damage on a crit" phys/almighty moves. I saw no reason to use anything else other than on the superbosses because 8 turns of crits would one or two round every single boss including the last.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is it possible to get null every element on my MC? Are they immune to everything except almighty at that point?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It is absurd because you can use it to deal absurd damage even without weakness coverage or take advantage of the "does double damage on a crit" phys/almighty moves. I saw no reason to use anything else other than on the superbosses because 8 turns of crits would one or two round every single boss including the last.

The debuff + status effect was amazing against the lvl 99 starter demon abscess but other than that and the revive everyone including stock one I've just used the crit.

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Reik posted:

Is it possible to get null every element on my MC? Are they immune to everything except almighty at that point?

The only way to do it without wasting a number of skill slots is using the Demifiend's essence, which gives full null element and status effects.