Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Credulous Skeptic posted:

So you're "something wrong" is her being overweight? :allears:

In the post, she seemed to be saying she was personally uncomfortable with her body. So while being overweight is not an inherent barrier, to her it was, and therefore was something wrong in her personal case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blastedhellscape posted:

He really goes out of his way to avoid explaining *why* his daughter doesn't want to eat her step-mother's cooking. Which...seems like the most crucial piece of information needed to figure out what's going on with this hosed up family.

This is what's called a "missing missing reason" and is the number one identifying mark of an absolute garbage parent.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Mormon Nailer posted:

Obviously he's just going to have to stand to poop. Real men etc. so on and so forth it just sounds different etc.

lolling imagining her with ear glued to bathroom door, notebook in other hand feverishly taking down qualitative data about splash and trickle.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for being angry that my Coffee was swapped with Decaf?

quote:

So my boyfriend (28 M) and I (26 F) have recently moved in together, due to some health issues I am always tired and struggle to have energy (Editing as some people have expressed concern, I know what my health conditions are and am currently on medication from my Doctor for it, the coffee simply helps bring me up to a semi-normal level of energy when taken in addition to my medication) this has meant I end up drinking a few cups of coffee a day to keep myself up and going.

The last few weeks i've noticed that even my coffee is not helping me and i'll be honest it worried me as I thought my health was growing worse, why else would it not be helping? I told my boyfriend my worry and he told me that he'd swapped out all my coffee for Decaf as he was worried about me and how it was healthier for me.

I am currently very upset with him as he didn't even consider telling me his thoughts and instead tampered with my coffee without telling me. He says i'm being dramatic and it's just decaf but i'm wondering if our relationship is something that should continue as it just seems hosed up to me that he'd think this is not only ok to do but normal? I've told him I need to think about things which is only upsetting him and making him wonder why I don't see he was trying to do a nice thing.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Tampering with coffee is absolutely a breakup worthy crime.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you do not gently caress with someone's

1.) automobile
2.) coffee

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I was prepared to be :jerkbag: about "just coffee" but honestly the bf is showing serious arrogance. Tampering with food is a half-step away from tampering with medication or other social engineering and indicates a really untrustworthy partner.

"Oh but her Doctor couldn't possibly tell her to..." shut the gently caress up. It's not about authority. They've chosen to live their life this way and you don't need to understand it in order to respect it. If you really think you know better then fine, go gently caress with their poo poo, but that's called "high risk, low reward." loving dumbass.

Hope she breaks up with him.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Piell posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQKVDUBu2g

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Piell posted:

That would be the end of the relationship.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Piell posted:

I wouldn't normally advocate violence but this is a special case. Call his mother. Go nuclear. Do not gently caress with coffee.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Like, genuinely though, what kind of bullshit is "oh haha I switched your coffee to decaf because I'm worried about you" and then not bothering to even have a conversation about why the person is worried? That's asinine as gently caress. If you're actually worried, try talking to the person, rear end in a top hat.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Coffee can be dangerous if you are having 7-10 cups a day or something insane. Caffeine can cause high blood pressure and heart problems but you need to have like 600mg+ of caffeine per day for real adverse affects to show up, 2 or 3 cups is pretty much harmless.

But you should definitely talk about it if you are concerned and not just secretly throw a wrench into your partner’s work schedule for a whole week. That’s definitely a crazy move without asking someone about it.

Hope she keeps her birth control pills and other stuff out of reach!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My grandma had a WWII story where they were potentially dealing with German spies while all the men were off at War where she and any of the other kids over nine spent a night locked, loaded and ready to light up anything that might try to come through a window or door.

My grandmas ww2 stories involved fleecing the young, handsome german soldiers out of their petty cash, cigarettes and stockings :stare:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The real worry is that if he's ok with secretly switching foods to something more "healthy" instead of communicating, there's a risk he might pull the same trick with something more important like medication.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fruits of the sea posted:

The real worry is that if he's ok with secretly switching foods to something more "healthy" instead of communicating, there's a risk he might pull the same trick with something more important like medication.

Plus it’s loving with someone’s bodily autonomy. It’s a huge red flag.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

It also doesn't help that after he was called out on it instead of apologizing he doubled down and made HER out to be the bad guy. I would say that's the more worrying behaviour.

Either way she needs to leave because this is only the tip of the hosed up iceberg.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Yeah, like, there are legit health reasons to go off caffeine. I'm a decaf-only person for years now because I have terrible anxiety which caffeine makes worse, and now it fucks me up a bit if I go out for coffee and they give me regular. I do think caffeine is a more potent drug than we give it credit for, just because it's so culturally acceptable and most people have a certain amount of tolerance to it.

Cutting out real coffee should be a conversation between her and her doctor, though, not a decision unilaterally made by her partner without her consent.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for calling my twin stepsons codependent?

quote:

Throwaway. This is turning into a real issue between me (35f) and my fiance (40m), and I could use perspective on if I did something wrong.

My fiance and I have been together for two years. We’ve recently moved in together, and the house has three kids- my son, Sean(15m) and his twins(Jason and Jack, 17m).

The problem particularly concerns Jack. When he was fourteen, he expressed depressive thoughts, something that made my fiance think it was really serious. Jack daydreams and "phases out" a lot, can be obsessive about his interests which nobody else shares (my fiance has mentioned he has anxiety and depressive disorders). The twins' late mom was a very artsy sort of person and left behind a bunch of drawing books and journals that my fiance and his kids treat like historical artifacts and from what I've gathered Jack is a lot like her (important).

My fiance and Jason treat Jack like he's made of glass. Sean goes to the same school as the twins and tells me that Jason walks Jack to all his classes and practice, sits with him during meals and makes sure he eats plenty, and honestly is the same at home. I've noticed the two excluding Sean deliberately from things that they do, like their amateur musicianship, or just in general having lots of inside jokes and personal communication, and I think that's basically due to Jack- Jason can be pretty social when he's got a moment away from his brother, but Jack is closed off and introverted. Sean is really eager to be friends with Jason, who's well liked in school despite not spending a lot of time with anyone except Jack. My fiance basically treats Jack the same way (lets Jack be messy, doesn;t make him fix his sleep schedule, and has set the bar as low as "if you're alive you’re doing good"), and refuses to talk to him to make Jack friendlier to Sean and me- it's alienating, and I feel Jack doesn't want me in the house.

I don't think the way everyone treats Jack is good for him, and I have a suspicion that my fiance has a soft spot for him because he resembles his mom. I mentioned to my fiance that the boys' codependence was concerning to me, and maybe Jack would do better and come around to other people if he and Jason spent some time apart, and my fiance considered it seriously. When he went to have a talk with the boys about trying to spend some time apart, they blew up on him. They think I'm being too involved with their affairs, when I honestly want the best for them and their development as people, it can't be healthy for any two people to spend this much time together, and it's not good for Jack to be coddled so much. Now Jack is starting to say that he doesn't feel comfortable in the same space as me, and Jason as always is backing him up. My fiance is really upset and doesn't know how to be strict with his kids, and the boys might be trying to convince him to break off the engagement. AITA, is it really such a giant thing for me to have called them codependent?

In comments:

quote:

Thank you! Their mother died when they were babies, and all they know of her is from the notebooks and things she wrote before she died. Jack does see a therapist but he's not serious about it.
--
She wasn't actually his wife, she got pregnant before they were engaged. I'm just concerned about their mental states. Before Sean and me moved in, everytime he's met the twins has been fairly brief, both of them have been cheerful and friendly- which when I think about it now, is very weird from Jack because he's aloof at home; I think it's odd how his behaviour doesn't line up.
--
To be entirely honest, Jack does have more "achievements" than both Sean and his twin, but they're focused on introverted things- for writing, or running, basically only stuff he does alone. He likes to run, but I find it concerning that he deliberately stays away from team sports and maybe speaking in public, since he can write.
--
I don't mean it that way- my fiance and I are very proud of Jack, but my fiance sees it as "Jack sending his writing to magazines is extra special because he's so anxious" which seems like he's setting a different standard for the other two kids. Jack is an avid reader and I think he's a talented writer, too, but it;s not fair to build him up so much for something he doesn't step out of his comfort zone to do, he just sits in his room and writes sometimes.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA For Walking Out of a Restaurant Twice after My wife made me the 3rd wheel again?

quote:

I (30m) my wife (29F) planned a date night tonight as our kids were at my IL's

We hadn't decided where to go and while driving my wife asked me where to go I told her that I don't care as long as it's somewhere that her coworkers don't work because my wife works in the restaurant industry and knows a lot of people that work at the places near us. This turns into the majority of our dates being her talking with them instead of me

So I tell my wife, "as long as I'm not made into a third wheel this time, I'll be happy"

She picks a texmex place and says, "I don't know anyone that works there"

As soon as we walk into the restaurant someone shouts my wife's name and a woman comes over us and tells us she'll take us. Turns out this woman is an ex-coworker

We sit at our table and my wife and her are already talking and gossiping about the things going on at their previous jobs. I wasn't mad at this point because I know that they want to catch up

After several minutes of this she left to get our drinks and my wife apologizes and says that she had no idea she worked there. A few minutes later she comes back with our drinks and her bf who is also an ex-coworker of my wife's and they proceed to talk and ignore me again

Then after taking our food orders she stays at our table and they talk for another 5-7 min instead of putting our order in. I try to join in and am ignored again

When she goes to put the order in I tell my wife "I asked for you not to do this one thing tonight" She proceeds to tell me that she didn't want to be rude and it's just small talk. I tell her that I tried to join in and they ignored me. She tells me that they didn't ignore me they just didn't hear me. (I was speaking as loud as they were) She then asks me "What do you want me to do, tell her to gently caress off?" I said "No politely tell her that you are on a date with your husband and we'd like to spend some time together" She tells me that that is rude and is basically the same as telling her to gently caress off. She tellsme to stop being in a bad mood because we're alone now and that I am the only one ruining the night. I said, "Fine then I'll remove myself" and got up and walked out of the restaurant

I stood outside several minutes until she called and begged me to come inside. Ther were a few issues with my meal which turned into another argument with her saying nothing can be right because I'm in a bad mood because she "spoke to someone." I told her that I refuse to let her make me the rear end in a top hat in this situation. She says that I'm being a controlling and this is what normal people do and that I'm being psychotic. I ask her for the keys so I can go out to the car and cool off. She tells me no. So I tell her I'm going to walk home and get up to leave. She calls me 20 minutes later asks where I am and comes to pick me up

This turned into another giant fight and her saying she's going to stay the night at her parents and that this is why her friends think I'm an rear end in a top hat

So AITA

Edit: I forgot to mention that our server's boyfriend that also works at the restaurant and knows my wife also approached the table and spoke to my wife. However, that was a 2 minute conversation then he left and didn't bother us again.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Piell posted:

AITA For Walking Out of a Restaurant Twice after My wife made me the 3rd wheel again?

Maybe I'm broken, but I don't blame this guy at all.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it's not okay to be rude to strangers but all bets are off with hubby

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
How do I tell my boyfriend his hygiene choices are a deal breaker

So for context I 21 female am dating a 21 male and we have been together for five years so when we moved in together I started to notice more about how he doesn’t brush his teeth very often and after a year of living together I would notice that he wouldn’t wash his hands and a little after that I noticed that he doesn’t wash his butt in the shower because I would find streak marks on his underwear or I would be rubbing his back and I could smell his rear end through his jeans so I would start telling him I would join him in the shower or if he would like to brush his teeth with me and it worked for a while until we started working different shifts now he doesn’t brush his teeth, wash his hands, or clean his rear end and today I asked him please wash your hands and he said why do I have to wash my hands every time and I explained to him that it’s gross and inconsiderate because he will leave pee particles everywhere and he continued to say he did not see an issue how do I tell him that him not brushing his teeth or washing his hands or cleaning his rear end is a problem I want to kiss him but his breath can be so bad and it grosses me out to be able to smell his rear end and just knowing he doesn’t think it’s necessary to wash his hands please help

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe I'm broken, but I don't blame this guy at all.

Not broken at all, what in the gently caress. Husbands only mistake was going back in and not leaving.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Piell posted:

I would lay money on coffee lady having some form of adhd given the mention of medications. Consuming prodigious amounts of caffeine to self medicate isn’t uncommon, gently caress her idiot bf.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Piell posted:

That's only slightly more :sever: : murder: than below...

quote:

AITA for telling my girlfriend she technically stole from me when she went grocery-shopping using my Credit-Card while I was asleep?

Here's the situation;

I m27 have been with my girlfriend f24 for 7 months. We don't live together and she has sleep-overs at my place regularly.

2 days-ago, She spent the night at my place and in the morning while I was sleeping in she got up, got dressed, took my credit-Card and went grocery shopping with it. I woke up to a massive breakfast made by her as a surprise and when I asked how she got money and time to prepare all that she told me she took my Credit-Card while I was sleep and headed to the super-market to get the stuff she needed to make me a suprise breakfast. I was stunned I asked why she didn't ask before taking my Credit-Card and she said I was sleeping and she didn't want to bother me besides that she wanted this to be a surprise. I just stared and said " I don't know, You do realize you technically stole from me when you took my Credit-Card and went shopping with it with-out my consent, right?". She looked at me in complete shock and confusion and said that she was just trying to do something nice for me and I just implied that she was a thief. I just shrugged and said it was technically true. She was so upset she got and stormed out the kitchen crying. She collected her stuff and left after she said she spent time and effort to prepare me break-fast and I was out of line to say she stole from me just because she forgot her wallet at home. She kept hanging up when I tried calling her and later sent me money for the stuff she bought although she didn't take anything with her.

My sister came over and when I told her she called me an ungrateful jerk with no manners to react this way after this display of affection by my girlfriend. She suggested I get over myself and apologize as soo as possible but I decided to take my time. AITA?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That is so loving funny to me. Yeah I got you a present but you persinally paid for it, and unwillingly too! ...wait why arent you happy about it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think if she would have like Venmo’d the money back it wouldn’t be any issue. I wouldn’t ever think about taking someone else’s card without telling them. Not even my partners.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
1900 pages too late, but remember

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for listening to worm music?

I found it, I found the worm music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_kyM_MBjz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb4jOCAr8ow

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

codswallop posted:

1900 pages too late, but remember

I found it, I found the worm music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_kyM_MBjz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb4jOCAr8ow

THANK you

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blackmet posted:

Credit-Card
break-fast

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
rear end-hole

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Breakfast thief gf is a much smaller scale version of the wife who surprised her husband with a 10k watch for his birthday using his own money from his bank account. She was similarly aghast that he didn’t appreciate it. Gifts truly are acts of aggression, I guess.

Like, maybe this guy actually needed the money for bills and stuff and can’t afford to drop it all on a fancy breakfast. It sounds like the girlfriend wouldn’t have been able to afford it by herself, which makes it even worse.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wizardofloneliness posted:

Breakfast thief gf is a much smaller scale version of the wife who surprised her husband with a 10k watch for his birthday using his own money from his bank account. She was similarly aghast that he didn’t appreciate it. Gifts truly are acts of aggression, I guess.

Like, maybe this guy actually needed the money for bills and stuff and can’t afford to drop it all on a fancy breakfast. It sounds like the girlfriend wouldn’t have been able to afford it by herself, which makes it even worse.

He doesn’t mention needing the money (which I imagine he would have if it was the case) and she left her wallet at home. She transgressed a boundary but with good intent. He acted like an rear end in a top hat.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i do not own a gun because i get sad sometimes, but being a trans woman in America i won't pretend i haven't considered getting a Saturday night special or something to carry for defense... but even if i did, it would be my profound hope that i would never have to use it; if i did, that the sight of it would be enough to scare off the attacker so i didn't have to actually shoot them; and if, as an absolute last resort, i did have to shoot them, to aim for the leg, and call them an ambulance afterward.

i do not want to take a life, not for their sake, but for my sake. i don't think i could cope with it. i hope i never have to find out.

AITA for not changing the way I kiss my cat to accomodate for my housemate’s autism

quote:

I (20F) moved in with my best friend (21M) a few months ago. Around that time he also found out that he is most likely autistic (he is still searching for a cheap diagnosis option but is working through things with his therapist).

A big part of his autism is disgust sensitivity which makes him very sensitive to germs. He has separate cutlery to me, keeps all of his property separate, cleans the washing machine every time I use it and doesn’t let me touch his side of the couch among other things. At first I didn’t understand but now I am happy to help make him more comfortable at home. He shouldn’t have to worry about those things so I know it’s my responsibility to respect his boundaries.

Today however I felt this went too far when I was kissing my cat repeatedly on the head while she was sitting near him on the couch. He then started telling me to get away from her and expressed that he doesn’t like it when I kiss her like that because of the possibility for my saliva going on her. He said that it makes him uncomfortable and he wants me to kiss her less or space out the kisses more.

I was taken aback and said that I wouldn’t change the way I interact with my own cat because of him. He then said that he wouldn’t be able to kiss her for a while because of it and implied that I was being ableist. He said that it’s not his fault if I have a problem with it because he isn’t in control of how it makes him feel. He kept trying to make it that I was the issue and to blame for the situation.

We went back and forth about that for a bit and he ended up comparing it to the cutlery and washing machine. I said that it’s not comparable because 1) they’re objects not a cat 2) those things are either his or shared property meanwhile my cat is not his. I said that I am fine to accomodate all of those things but I am not willing to do that with my cat.

I said that he has no right to tell me what to do with my own cat. He then said that he isn’t telling me what to do and that he is just expressing his discomfort. I then said that he was gaslighting me and he burst into tears because he didn’t like being called a gaslighter. Afterward we spoke again and figured out that he had forgotten he told me that he wanted me to change and that he has trouble communicating. I apologised for calling him a gaslighter but he continued it say that it was my fault for reacting and not wanting to compromise. It’s very awkward now between us and I’m not sure how to proceed without upsetting him further.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My grandma had a WWII story where they were potentially dealing with German spies while all the men were off at War where she and any of the other kids over nine spent a night locked, loaded and ready to light up anything that might try to come through a window or door.

Are spies known for burgling random houses?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Piell posted:

NTA, I have had to do this before. If the SO is that much more interested in their phone/other people then why did they agree to have date night?

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Chloe Jessica posted:

AITA for not changing the way I kiss my cat to accomodate for my housemate’s autism

Being uncomfortable about how someone else kisses their own cat (not your cat) is your own problem. Work on it in therapy, don't take it out on your housemate, who has bent over backwards to accommodate you, who is kissing their own cat.

I say this as a person with strong sensitivities.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for calling my twin stepsons codependent?

In comments:
Wow there's so much to unpack in this one. Honestly reads like Jack could be Neurodiverse. The rest of the family might actually be helping him in his own way that the stepmother isn't seeing, if he's doing alright with solitary accomplishments, but she's not wrong to want an eye on everyone getting breathing room for development of their own and avoiding codependence at 17.

Piell posted:

Dude's wife sucks and takes her husband for granted. Sad part is if they broke up she'd probably social butterfly onto some other guy pretty fast and never have to think about it.

Chloe Jessica posted:

Autistic here-- this dude is an immature prick and his roommate is accommodating to the point of being enabling. Germaphobia isn't even an Autism-specific thing for gently caress's sake.

My last roommate would fry garlic directly below my bedroom at 2300 hours while I was sleeping and respond to my requests to not have my room smell like a Chinese restaurant overnight with "lol it's my house I'm going to do what I want." They turned the house into a literal workshop with drill presses and employees working around the clock for their online store. More than once I woke up to the kitchen covered in epoxy supplies airing out, blocking the stove and sink. This went on for months. When I'd batch cook once a week for eight full days for 3 hours on a Sunday, my roommate would literally get in my way and say "Oh but when you do this it's ok?"

And I ate poo poo and picked my battles, keeping my dog and property safe, until I could move out at the first opportunity. Because even though I'm leftist as gently caress and have a sensory processing condition that actually does need accommodation, I also didn't grow up in a loving bubble and was taught at-length how little the world is obligated to give a gently caress.

You don't have to tough out everything, but that dude still has a bad case of "protagonist syndrome."

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

therattle posted:

He doesn’t mention needing the money (which I imagine he would have if it was the case) and she left her wallet at home. She transgressed a boundary but with good intent. He acted like an rear end in a top hat.

Using someone else's credit card without their permission is a pretty big boundary to cross imo. If they were married or in a long-term relationship with shared finances that would be one thing, but it sounds like they have not talked about it at all based on his reaction. Whether she forgot her wallet at home or she just didn't feel like waking him up or whatever, I think it shows pretty bad judgment to do that unless you've had previous conversations about it. I know I would be uncomfortable if a fairly new boyfriend thought it would be ok for him to take my card without my knowledge even if it was to buy something nice for me, just because it was more convenient for him. The guy should've just been direct with her about it instead of going "well, technically you're a thief", so I'd settle for an ESH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Might as well just buy a prop gun and fire blanks if you're trying to scare 'em with a loud sound. Safer for everyone involved.

Alec Baldwin would like a word