Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
I'm currently looking for some historical mysteries for the winter months ahead. Also, as much as I have been enjoying the Brother Cadfael series from Ellis Peters, I'm actually particularly interested right now in historical mysteries that take place outside of Europe - for example, My Name is Red, Elsa Hart's Li Du trilogy, etc. However, if anyone has a title that they think is just too good to not recommended, then of course I'll be happy to disregard geographical setting (and a quick note in advance - The Name of the Rose is Already on my eventual to-read list).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Judge Dee stories by Robert van Gulik are generally pretty good. I'd stay away from the ones written by other people, though.

And, if Europe is still under consideration, I really enjoyed An Instance of the Fingerpost.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

IBroughttheFunk posted:

I'm currently looking for some historical mysteries for the winter months ahead. Also, as much as I have been enjoying the Brother Cadfael series from Ellis Peters, I'm actually particularly interested right now in historical mysteries that take place outside of Europe - for example, My Name is Red, Elsa Hart's Li Du trilogy, etc. However, if anyone has a title that they think is just too good to not recommended, then of course I'll be happy to disregard geographical setting (and a quick note in advance - The Name of the Rose is Already on my eventual to-read list).

Aw it’s Europe and trash but The Hangman’s Daughter books might be a fun light read?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Caveat: I have no recollection of the story and can't even remember if it was any good.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Are there any good kaiju books? Doesn't have to be based off any sort of movie or established universe/lore. Any good big cool monster book.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Prose only or are you open to graphic novels? Because there are a lot of good Godzilla comics, and Giant Monster was pretty cool

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not exactly what you're looking for, but Shambling Towards Hiroshima

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Retro Futurist posted:

Prose only or are you open to graphic novels? Because there are a lot of good Godzilla comics, and Giant Monster was pretty cool

I've never really read comics or graphic novels but I suppose I'd be open to giving them a try. What are your favorite Godzilla ones? I'm a massive fan of the movies

Azhais posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but Shambling Towards Hiroshima

This looks incredibly bizarre, I love it. Thanks!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I've never really read comics or graphic novels but I suppose I'd be open to giving them a try. What are your favorite Godzilla ones? I'm a massive fan of the movies

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

50 years war is probably the big one, Godzilla in Hell and Rage Across Time are both very cool as well

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Kinda similar, any recs for historical *fantasy* mysteries? I am thinking like medieval beat cops like Simon Green's Hawk and Fisher, or PIs like Randall Garrett's Darcy. Not opposed to romances if they're decently written.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

wheatpuppy posted:

Kinda similar, any recs for historical *fantasy* mysteries? I am thinking like medieval beat cops like Simon Green's Hawk and Fisher, or PIs like Randall Garrett's Darcy. Not opposed to romances if they're decently written.

This Census-Taker might scratch that itch, and it’s only a short story to give it a go.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I really liked This Census-Taker. Does Perdido Street Station qualify as a mystery? Name of the Rose also comes to mind but I now note it was already mentioned on this page in another context.

Also the Watch books from Discworld for a lighter-hearted take on this scenario

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

I really liked This Census-Taker. Does Perdido Street Station qualify as a mystery? Name of the Rose also comes to mind but I now note it was already mentioned on this page in another context.

Also the Watch books from Discworld for a lighter-hearted take on this scenario

Oh I also meant to mention The City and the City for that request

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

tuyop posted:

Oh I also meant to mention The City and the City for that request

Ah the Kraken would also fit. Straight up solve a heist mystery

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

wheatpuppy posted:

The Mongolian Wizard series of stories by Michael Swanwick might fit, it's more espionage and pre-WWI though:
https://www.tor.com/series/mongolian-wizard-stories-michael-swanwick/

The Penric And Desdemona series has a fair bit of magical mystery solving ( in fact all the World of Five Gods books are functionally mysteries even if they're heavily disguised, read the novels before the Penric and Desdemona if you want a proper introduction to the world and it's metaphysics).

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 22, 2021

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Thanks for the suggestions! I keep meaning to add Mieville to my to-read pile, dunno why I haven't yet. And yeah, I should have mentioned I've already read Discworld. I also love the Five Gods series, I have really enjoyed how LMB puts out smaller P&D novellas frequently instead of having to wait a couple years for the next book.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

wheatpuppy posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I keep meaning to add Mieville to my to-read pile, dunno why I haven't yet. And yeah, I should have mentioned I've already read Discworld. I also love the Five Gods series, I have really enjoyed how LMB puts out smaller P&D novellas frequently instead of having to wait a couple years for the next book.

Perdido Street station is creepy as gently caress, it made me feel like i'd had one of those nightmares where your dad has died and even though he hasn't it's so weird and horrible you feel sad for three days.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Hughmoris posted:

I'm a sucker for time-traveling books with my favorite being Replay by Ken Grimwood. Any recommendations for other books in the time-traveling genre?
Seeing this post reminded me of how much I liked Replay. Can anyone recommend books specifically about being in time loops where you get to try things repeatedly? Replay was in longer time frames (reliving lives) but Groundhog's Day type books would be cool too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Grifter posted:

Seeing this post reminded me of how much I liked Replay. Can anyone recommend books specifically about being in time loops where you get to try things repeatedly? Replay was in longer time frames (reliving lives) but Groundhog's Day type books would be cool too.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August was already recommended to the previous poster, and you'd probably like that too.

I liked Stephen King's 11/22/63 even if it has the usual King problem of dragging on way too long and then rushing the ending. Also, David Gerrold's The Man Who Folded Himself.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle fits as a (very light spoiler that gives less info than the book description) time loop amnesia mystery. It was pretty good, an easy read.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 25, 2021

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Grifter posted:

All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka is a zippy Japanese SF novel with a gimmick like this. It got made into a Tom Cruise movie.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

This is a spoiler, revealed about a quarter through the book

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fate Accomplice posted:

It's literally the dust jacket synopsis but ok.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Fate Accomplice posted:

Lmao, that's the only reason the book gets recommended, it's not a spoiler.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

The Judge Dee stories by Robert van Gulik are generally pretty good. I'd stay away from the ones written by other people, though.

And, if Europe is still under consideration, I really enjoyed An Instance of the Fingerpost.

tuyop posted:

Aw it’s Europe and trash but The Hangman’s Daughter books might be a fun light read?

Thank so much for the recommendations! And tuyop - you actually helped me remember that I had bought the <i>The Hangman's Daughter</i> for Kindle on sale a long ways back, so onto the to-reads list it goes!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

An Instance of the Fingerpost.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IBroughttheFunk posted:

No idea if they're any good or not but the Medicus series is on sale right now and sounds pretty good

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I will be reading all the recs, except maybe 11/22/63. Where does it fall in terms of horror? I'm not up for Pet Semetery level stuff.

rollick posted:

All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka is a zippy Japanese SF novel with a gimmick like this. It got made into a Tom Cruise movie.
I read this over the last couple days after your rec. I have seen The Edge of Tomorrow and it's a good movie but the ending in the book makes 100% more sense.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Grifter posted:

I will be reading all the recs, except maybe 11/22/63. Where does it fall in terms of horror? I'm not up for Pet Semetery level stuff.

It's not a horror novel, it's an essay on the Kennedy assassination with some supernatural stuff mixed in.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, it's not horror. It's about a guy from the present who finds a time portal that leads to a specific day in the 1960s; he can go in, live in the 60s for a while, and leave, and when he uses the portal again he'll come back to the same day with everything reset. And he gets the idea that he could use it to prevent the Kennedy assassination.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

imagine caring about spoilers in books

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

imagine caring about spoilers in books

:wth:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Alright, I just finished The Final Girl Support Group and I have a hold in the library for The Southern Bookclub’s Guide to Slaying Vampires. Any other recommendations for books with a similar tone?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

Alright, I just finished The Final Girl Support Group and I have a hold in the library for The Southern Bookclub’s Guide to Slaying Vampires. Any other recommendations for books with a similar tone?

If you haven't read it already, I also really like We Sold Our Souls, probably my favorite of Hendrix's books. I can't think of much else that toes that parody/homage, but actually really horror kind of vibe. I really like his books for being the kind of horror that just understands what's fun about horror and playing with genre tropes.

I will say I was less into Southern Bookclub than the rest of his books, but that might just be personal preference.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Might also be trash but Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

I liked it well enough but I think it’s probably not a good book. Maybe same type of thing you’re looking for?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

MockingQuantum posted:

If you haven't read it already, I also really like We Sold Our Souls, probably my favorite of Hendrix's books. I can't think of much else that toes that parody/homage, but actually really horror kind of vibe. I really like his books for being the kind of horror that just understands what's fun about horror and playing with genre tropes.

I will say I was less into Southern Bookclub than the rest of his books, but that might just be personal preference.

I think a lot of what I enjoyed also has to do with the inter-character dynamics and the broken found-family trope in such a horrific setting, so if you know anything else similar to that aspect I’d be up for checking it out.

tuyop posted:

Might also be trash but Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?

I liked it well enough but I think it’s probably not a good book. Maybe same type of thing you’re looking for?

I’ve heard it’s a fun romance romp, so it’s on my list.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Looking for grimdark military science fiction. Everytime I search for some I get Starship Troopers which I've already read or Warhammer 40k, which fits the grimdark theme but is too fantastical for me. I'm looking for something a little more grounded and "realistic" than 40k but still has that same "everything is just absolutely hosed" feel.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You could try something like gaunts ghosts for 40k. It's all imperial guard so it's a lot less of giant scale stuff you get in the other series.

It's been a while since I read it so I don't remember exactly the levels of grimdark, but Hammers Slammers by David Drake might fit the bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Forever War isn't super grimdark but it's pretty bleak. There's a sequel too, but I haven't read it.