Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SerthVarnee posted:

well that depends, are they generally recognized as separate realms by their regional peers? depending on what year we are talking, Scotland is certainly a country. Wales I'm gonna be honest and tell you that I don't have a firm enough grasp of their history to know when and how they would be defined as one or more sovereign entities.

All those extra specifications were more of an attempt to narrow the range of possible nations down for Xiahou Dun and his nationstate of Kathy's house example.

I think there's some miscommunication going on here, if it's from me I apologize.

The point isn't literal, but it's a good example of the problem. Obviously my neighbor's house isn't a country, no one would say it is, it's ridiculous. The point was, that by the actual criteria in your post I was responding to, a good argument (in very bad faith) could be made that my neighbor's house fulfills them all and is thus a country :

SerthVarnee posted:

Dunno what Baron Porkface's definition would be, but I'd like to ask the same question with the specification "specific populated territory, that is generally recognized by it's regional peers as an entity, which is either independent or administrated separately by a neighboring entity".

Kathy's house is a specific territory populated by Kathy. Everyone recognizes it as an entity. And it is administered independently.

And with the elaboration on things like dealing with sewage or water treatment, you immediately get two questions : 1) What happens if Kathy decides to live off the grid and build [whatever you just required]? 2) What about the countries that don't have whatever arbitrary industrial or bureaucratic feature? If Lichtenstein suddenly loses its sewage system, does it become an un-country?

I don't have a horse in the race on what "counts as a country" specifically because it only matters if you care about there being a pre-defined idea of what it takes to be a country. If you want to know the answer to "how many X's" are there, it's pretty dang important to know what an X is. I've been using my silly example with someone's house, but, seriously, under your personal definition : how many Chinas are there right now?

Edit : gently caress, that was a lovely snype. Umm. How common were estocs? I always thought they would be a moderately obscure civilian weapon that a minority of enthusiasts used, but I recently realized I had no evidence for that beyond "it made sense to me so I just ran with it, I guess".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think there's some miscommunication going on here, if it's from me I apologize.

The point isn't literal, but it's a good example of the problem. Obviously my neighbor's house isn't a country, no one would say it is, it's ridiculous. The point was, that by the actual criteria in your post I was responding to, a good argument (in very bad faith) could be made that my neighbor's house fulfills them all and is thus a country :

Kathy's house is a specific territory populated by Kathy. Everyone recognizes it as an entity. And it is administered independently.

And with the elaboration on things like dealing with sewage or water treatment, you immediately get two questions : 1) What happens if Kathy decides to live off the grid and build [whatever you just required]? 2) What about the countries that don't have whatever arbitrary industrial or bureaucratic feature? If Lichtenstein suddenly loses its sewage system, does it become an un-country?

I don't have a horse in the race on what "counts as a country" specifically because it only matters if you care about there being a pre-defined idea of what it takes to be a country. If you want to know the answer to "how many X's" are there, it's pretty dang important to know what an X is. I've been using my silly example with someone's house, but, seriously, under your personal definition : how many Chinas are there right now?

Edit : gently caress, that was a lovely snype. Umm. How common were estocs? I always thought they would be a moderately obscure civilian weapon that a minority of enthusiasts used, but I recently realized I had no evidence for that beyond "it made sense to me so I just ran with it, I guess".

Oh don't worry, I'm just having fun here trying to expand on a silly question. The list of services and utilities were examples that would very quickly become utterly meaningless as soon as we look at the whole planet. If Kathy's house is recognized and administered independently, then yes that one is easily a country in my book. Regarding the China question I'd say there are at least 2 Chinas. Taiwan and The People's Republic of China. I know that sounds contradictory due to the aggressive insistence of at least the PRC that other nations can only recognize one China at a time, but to me, that insistence is a sort of tacit acknowledgement of there being a second China for them to compete with in the first place. Given a lack of other contenders that I am aware of, this must mean Taiwan is also a separate China.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Kathy has her own state if nobody enforces any laws on her property that override whatever rules she has established herself. Since this is obviously and unambiguously not true, it isn't a very confusing example at all.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Xiahou Dun posted:

They were fairly common in the 17th century, especially in Germany though there are also references in England who called them "tucks". Estocs ran the gamut of "longsword that's a bit thicker and narrower than usual and still has a sharpened edge" to "metal pole with a hilt and sharp point". They were primarily used on horseback in a similar manner to a Lance, but were used by infantry too.

Civilians wouldn't have used estocs really, though apparently they were used as hunting weapons from horseback and for tourneys and sparring (the lack of an edge making them safer). Note that rapiers coexisted with estocs so a civilian on foot would likely have one of those, not an estoc.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

MikeCrotch posted:

They were fairly common in the 17th century, especially in Germany though there are also references in England who called them "tucks". Estocs ran the gamut of "longsword that's a bit thicker and narrower than usual and still has a sharpened edge" to "metal pole with a hilt and sharp point". They were primarily used on horseback in a similar manner to a Lance, but were used by infantry too.

Civilians wouldn't have used estocs really, though apparently they were used as hunting weapons from horseback and for tourneys and sparring (the lack of an edge making them safer). Note that rapiers coexisted with estocs so a civilian on foot would likely have one of those, not an estoc.

i thought that the hunting swords were used to kill the wounded animals, not to hunt them on horseback

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

steinrokkan posted:

Kathy has her own state if nobody enforces any laws on her property that override whatever rules she has established herself. Since this is obviously and unambiguously not true, it isn't a very confusing example at all.

Kathy must also control her own airspace as well as mineral and water rights. An important modern attribute of a real sovereign state

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Scratch Monkey posted:

Kathy must also control her own airspace as well as mineral and water rights. An important modern attribute of a real sovereign state

I'm sure she's got enough ack-ack to control the airspace just fine.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nenonen posted:

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Nenonen posted:

I hadn’t realised how far prepping had gone in western countries.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The other question is entities like Texas and Scotland which rather blur the line between subunit of nations afforded some independent policy making and independent country consenting to allow some aspects of governance be given over to a supranational entity.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
What is and what isn't a country is very much like asking what is art, you end up with a really complicated and often contradictory definition that will, for example, call the Vatican City a country but say Hong Kong not a country.

Ultimately a country is an organisation that only defers its rights over trade or land/space to supra-national bodies like the UN or the EU and other countries acknowledge it as a country (either de facto or de jour).

So Taiwan is a country because it is self governing and other countries acknowledge it as a separate entity to the Peoples Republic of China, by for example accepting Taiwanese passports even if they might not diplomatically call it a country because of PRC pressure. This is in contrast to Abkhazia where they may have internal autonomy from Georgia but only Russia thinks they are a country and acknowledges their passports.

This also gets murky with places like Scotland who like to think they are a country within a country but foreign affairs are conducted from Westminster (which Scotland sends MPs to) and doesn't have any more autonomy than a canton in Switzerland.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

The other question is entities like Texas and Scotland which rather blur the line between subunit of nations afforded some independent policy making and independent country consenting to allow some aspects of governance be given over to a supranational entity.

As I believe I mentioned earlier ;) even today life is more complicated than the pure Westphalian (that autocorrected to west phalanx, it knows the thread I'm in :tinfoil:) model.

Hmm do Swiss cantons get to do things like vary their income tax? (National level that is not like US state income tax on top of federal) or change their electoral system?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 21, 2021

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
So if Cathy’s house is a country what about Heathcliff’s?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The easiest litmus test for whether something is a country is whether it controls its own foreign policy. So, to bring it around to this thread's topic: can they unilaterally declare war on someone?

Scotland can't declare war on Peru. The UK on the other hand, can.

Hong Kong can't declare war on Lebanon. Taiwan could.

The Vatican? Monaco? Andorra? Lichtenstein? In some bizarro world any one of them could decide to throw down with France. But as much as Rhode Island might want to join in based on micro-state solidarity, it ain't happening.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

The easiest litmus test for whether something is a country is whether it controls its own foreign policy. So, to bring it around to this thread's topic: can they unilaterally declare war on someone?

The Vatican? Monaco? Andorra? Lichtenstein? In some bizarro world any one of them could decide to throw down with France. But as much as Rhode Island might want to join in based on micro-state solidarity, it ain't happening.

What would happen if the Scottish military decided to send out an expeditionary force to say Denmark and invaded Copenhagen, wouldn't that be treated as a declaration of war from them or is there some odd legality that allows the UK to get away with it and not be considered at war with Denmark and/or NATO?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
scotland doesn't have a military

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Greggster posted:

What would happen if the Scottish military decided to send out an expeditionary force to say Denmark and invaded Copenhagen, wouldn't that be treated as a declaration of war from them or is there some odd legality that allows the UK to get away with it and not be considered at war with Denmark and/or NATO?

That's just UEFA cup.

But who do you think the Highlanders swear allegiance to? They would be mutineers and terrorists.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Foxtrot_13 posted:

So Taiwan is a country because it is self governing and other countries acknowledge it as a separate entity to the Peoples Republic of China, by for example accepting Taiwanese passports even if they might not diplomatically call it a country because of PRC pressure. This is in contrast to Abkhazia where they may have internal autonomy from Georgia but only Russia thinks they are a country and acknowledges their passports.

What is the reconginition threshold? Clearly it doesn't need to be "all other countries", per Taiwan, or "at least one" per Abkhazia.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So, to bring it around to this thread's topic: can they unilaterally declare war on someone?

What do you mean by "declare war"? Cathy's household holds a house meeting, voting that "we are now at war with the neighbors". Cathy tells neighbor that they are at war, goes and buys a gun, shoots at neighbor. Why is this not a declaration of war? If your answer is "because the cops roll in and arrest/shoot Cathy which demonstrates that Cathy's household is not sovereign", explain the difference between the hypothetical and any UN intervention.

E: FWIW; I think this whole exercise is kinda funny in the spirit of Diogenes rolling in to Plato's place shouting "Behold! I've brought you a man," and waving about a plucked chicken.

Loezi fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 21, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Japan?

(Again not disagreeing with anyone, just here to keep pointing out that defining “country” is really, really hard. There’s definitely a tummy-feels sense to it, but when you try to apply a given definition it never quite works. I have this same conversation but about “word” at least twice a year so this isn’t unique or even a criticism.)

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

(Again not disagreeing with anyone, just here to keep pointing out that defining “country” is really, really hard. There’s definitely a tummy-feels sense to it, but when you try to apply a given definition it never quite works. I have this same conversation but about “word” at least twice a year so this isn’t unique or even a criticism.)

My favorite similar question is "what is a language?" which then ties in neatly to this thread when someone goes for the classic "language is a dialect with a navy".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Okay but what if Texas politicians go off and meet with Putin, and a PMC based in Texas sends guys to gently caress around in Syria with the state gopper's consent and endorsement? What if Taiwan wants to join in with some kind of foreign adventure, and China sends a very angry message and they desist? What about Japan under Article 9? What about all sorts of terrorist groups, are they all countries?

I mean the unilateral war declaration test isn't that great these days because no one seems to unilaterally declare war on *anyone* these days.

EDIT: Personally I think nationhood is ultimately a matter of international consensus and necessarily ambiguous/subjective in many cases.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 21, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Loezi posted:

My favorite similar question is "what is a language?" which then ties in neatly to this thread when someone goes for the classic "language is a dialect with a navy".

“A collection of mutually intelligible idiolects that share a set of linguistic features” is the standard, Linguists purposely take a super broad stance because we don’t care about inter-varietal prestige.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

“A collection of mutually intelligible idiolects that share a set of linguistic features” is the standard, Linguists purposely take a super broad stance because we don’t care about inter-varietal prestige.

And by many scholarly definition of AI, my metal coil thermostat is an Artificial Intelligence.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

It works for our intended purpose of defining what we’re interested in studying. The dialect vs language contrast doesn’t really matter to us so we can just say things like “Baorisch is a nonstandard variety of German spoken by a community largely centered around Munich and the Alpine foothills” or whatever without getting into a fight cause all we care about is that it’s a thing spoken by people in a specific way we can study.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

It works for our intended purpose of defining what we’re interested in studying. The dialect vs language contrast doesn’t really matter to us so we can just say things like “Baorisch is a nonstandard variety of German spoken by a community largely centered around Munich and the Alpine foothills” or whatever without getting into a fight cause all we care about is that it’s a thing spoken by people in a specific way we can study.

Language vs dialect matters for nationalists as it is a weapon to promote an identity or as a way to deny an identity.

One of the big supports for Taiwan being a renegade province of the PRC is that the Taiwanese speak a relatively standard version of Mandarin, closer to the Mandarin spoken in Beijing than the Mandarin spoken in the further parts of the PRC so it is China. It is wrong and goes against the concepts of self determination but it can be enough of a fig leaf to help people look the other way.

To put into more relevance to this thread language has been and is being used as a political weapon in Northern Ireland. Sinn Fein has been pushing hard to get Gaelic recognised and used as an official language in Northern Ireland and to spite them the Unionists have also pushed for Ulster Scots to be added to the list of official languages with Sinn Fein denying that Scots is a language.

Loezi posted:

What is the reconginition threshold? Clearly it doesn't need to be "all other countries", per Taiwan, or "at least one" per Abkhazia.

If any one actually knew then you get get a Nobel Prize for it. If you can get most of the UN Security Council on board and a fair chunk of the G20 then you might/should be ok.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm just disappointed no one has posted an alignment grid yet

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Loezi posted:

an army and a navy

so iceland's fishing fleet doesn't make icelandic a language

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fangz posted:

I'm just disappointed no one has posted an alignment grid yet

Sadly, the only one I could find with 30 seconds of effort uses nation instead of country. (A whole other debate).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Language vs dialect matters for nationalists as it is a weapon to promote an identity or as a way to deny an identity.

And that is precisely why linguists very purposely avoid it as a meaningful distinction. We universally use terms like "prestige dialect" specifically to illustrate that all languages are dialects, i.e. specific varietals, and some specific dialects have been upgraded to a higher social status because of extralinguistic social, historical and political factors. Most standardized versions of a language such as Standard French or Standard German are artificial things maintained for intracommunication (often in an effort to promote nationalism). Often times it's the language spoken by people in political power when language standardization occurs, but it's not like English true-negation varieties became standard over negative concord dialects because they were better at doing negation or something. (i.e. standard English "I didn't see anything" vs. non-standard "I didn't see nothing", the latter of which is perfectly acceptable in many standard varieties of other languages such as Standard French.)

quote:

One of the big supports for Taiwan being a renegade province of the PRC is that the Taiwanese speak a relatively standard version of Mandarin, closer to the Mandarin spoken in Beijing than the Mandarin spoken in the further parts of the PRC so it is China. It is wrong and goes against the concepts of self determination but it can be enough of a fig leaf to help people look the other way.

I don't know what your source for this is, but it has nothing in common with anyone I've ever heard talk about the ROC vs PRC split and the civil war or Chinese language standardization no does it jive with anything I know.

"Mandarin" is not a real term that anyone actually wanting to discuss Chinese would use amongst themselves for precisely this reason. The standard spoken in the PRC is Putonghua (lit. "common speech") which is based off of the notes on the active language standardization process started by the ROC just before the civil wars went really, really hot, which was an ongoing effort after the Baihua movement ; they literally were using some of the ROC's working documents when they developed things like pinyin and jiantizi. In the ROC (note I'm not saying Taiwan because while that's the preference of the growing independence movement and more likely the correct choice, it isn't actually national policy), they reverted away from these efforts and speak Guoyu (lit. "National language") and the incredibly idiosyncratic use of zhuyinfuhao. This would in both cases be ignoring the fact that the majority of the population in both regions isn't a native speaker of the standard variety and it's only learned as part of nationalism and language standardization efforts : the PRC doesn't like talking about it, but it's very trivially the case that it's made up of many language varieties that have about as much relation to each other as Spanish and Romanian who all can communicate because of massive and expensive education efforts, while the ROC is on an island that natively had languages of entirely separate linguistic phyla (Austronesian, most prominently) that was then colonized by centuries of waves of different speakers of Sinitic varieties, owned by Japan for a while and eventually given a whip lash of two distinct efforts and language standardization.

One of the reasons why I don't know where you got this idea from is that it's comically false if you know anything about the two varieties, down to even having heard both of them. Like when I first moved to Taiwan I had to spend a lot of time relearning Chinese in order to get basic things done, and now I've got a distinctly Taiwanese accent that mainlanders always remark on.

Sorry if I sound like I'm biting your head off but it's a uniquely bizarre argument that falls apart under its own weight.

quote:

To put into more relevance to this thread language has been and is being used as a political weapon in Northern Ireland. Sinn Fein has been pushing hard to get Gaelic recognised and used as an official language in Northern Ireland and to spite them the Unionists have also pushed for Ulster Scots to be added to the list of official languages with Sinn Fein denying that Scots is a language.

I'm not an expert on this particular conflict, the closest I've ever come is learning a bit of Scots for fun as a hobby, but this sounds like a textbook case of people having a nationalist axe to grind and then bending linguistic facts in order to justify themselves, i.e. the exact kind of discussion that no linguist would want to get involved in. It'd be a very lovely chemist that started making patriotic arguments about francium vs germanium, geh?

PS I can shut up whenever about this. It started with me actually being on topic and has kind of creeped into my bailiwick, possibly subconsciously.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Xiahou Dun posted:

PS I can shut up whenever about this. It started with me actually being on topic and has kind of creeped into my bailiwick, possibly subconsciously.
I’m definitely interested in hearing more. Language has a lot of influence on geopolitics, from the anglophone alliance to Russia “protecting their citizens abroad.”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I had no idea the senate of the czech republic has to return to castle wallenstein every session

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

an army and a navy

so iceland's fishing fleet doesn't make icelandic a language

Mongolian lost its status when they sold off their river fleet.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Hmm do Swiss cantons get to do things like vary their income tax? (National level that is not like US state income tax on top of federal) or change their electoral system?

It’s complicated and more than 20 years since I last took a look at this.

You have federal taxes, cantonal and city/town/village taxes on income. Federal is the same for the whole of CH and pretty low I think. Cantonal taxes same in each canton, but different between cantons. Then there’s the town taxes.
I moved out of Zurich (the city) to an adjacent place (Stil canton Zurich) some years back and pay like 15-20 % less taxes overall now.
Or you could move to Freienbach SZ and pay even less, if you have the spare cash for a property there.

Electoral system: each canton has to be a democratic structure, but you can be e.g. a republic*. For federal elections there are rules: Nationalrat (big chamber) has the same rules everywhere. Ständerat … theoretically is a cantonal vote and thus subject to cantonal law, but is I think actually the same all over (it would be legal to have the governing body of a canton just assign 2 people,but nobody does it, everybody just has a normal vote on it).
Then there are the Landsgemeinden.
For some cantonal votes you can have different rules, some cantons allow 16 year olds to vote or some allow non-Swiss to vote for certain stuff.

* history bit: before 1848 each canton could have been seen as a separate country. A book i had, used to call it „Vom Staatenbund zum Bundesstaat“ which I’d loosely translate as „from confederation to federation“ (or maybe the other way around??) but which is not exact and loses the joke.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mano posted:

* history bit: before 1848 each canton could have been seen as a separate country. A book i had, used to call it „Vom Staatenbund zum Bundesstaat“ which I’d loosely translate as „from confederation to federation“ (or maybe the other way around??) but which is not exact and loses the joke.

A literal translation is something like 'from a federation of states to a federal state' isn't it?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

feedmegin posted:

A literal translation is something like 'from a federation of states to a federal state' isn't it?

Probably. You could also argue about confederation on both sides since obviously CH = confoederatio helvetica, but with an American point of view there’s probably too much baggage on that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mano posted:

Probably. You could also argue about confederation on both sides since obviously CH = confoederatio helvetica, but with an American point of view there’s probably too much baggage on that.

I get what you're saying, but not really. "Confederation/Confederacy" is kinda loaded in the US perspective, but only in very specific instances. The word didn't get poisoned half as bad as some poo poo in German did due to WW2. For example, if you were trying to make a meta-structure to organize a bunch of disparate trade unions in a region you could name it something like "Confederated Tri-State Unions" without raising too many eyebrows.

On the other hand, if you started a regional political party and wanted to call it something like "Confederacy of the Midwest" you'd raise ALL the eyebrows. Context matters in this case.

My gut-check feeling, both as someone who's done a bunch of history and as a native english speaker, is that confederation implies a looser organization than a federation. The Articles of Confederation, for example, was the original document organizing the US Government after the Revolution, and it gave a TON of power to the states, much more than today. That organization is one where you really could ask is, for example, Virginia was an independent nation with a close alliance with its neighbors (similar to, e.g. France and NATO) or if it was a smaller part of a larger whole. Meanwhile, all the federal systems I can think of (the US, Germany, Canada, India, Brazil - probably a few more) have strong state governments, but there is no question that the state is ultimately a part of that larger nation. You'll find some fringe weirdos stanning for Saxony as a sovereign nation, but for the most part everyone recognizes which level of government is on top.

When the Confederacy named itself in the ACW it didn't pick that name out of a hat. That distinction - that they were a coalition of states but one without a strong, central government that could dictate policy to the members - was an important one for them. It's also part of how the Northern forces in the war got the various nicknames you'll see for them, most notably Unionists and Federals.

So, from both a linguistic and historical perspective I think your translation of "From Confederation to Federation" is pretty spot on, although I'll agree that it loses the ring that it has in the original.

fake edit: to bring things back around to Europe for a moment, one of the big questions of the last decade is whether the EU should be a confederation or a federation. Right now it's basically a confederation, but there are those who read the "ever closer union" part of the preamble of the Treaty of Rome as aspiring to a federal model. On the other hand, there are those who see it as a statement of simply ever more amiable and brotherly relations between still independent and sovereign nations, and think it should be more of a mega-trade union kind of thing.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gun to my head I would not be able to give a clean distinction between "confederation" or "federation." My emotional, non-clean American English reaction is that both are governing forms where several smaller, local organizations are bonded by an overarching, much more expansive centralizing organ, with the distinction being a matter of emphasis where a confederation the local orgs are closer to power parity with the over-org where as in the federation the over-org can veto most actions of the locals.

Xiahou Dun posted:

No no, this is very good and useful. If nothing else, who speaks what language where has been a motivating factor in quite a number of wars (most obvious to me being German Nationalism leading to a few conflicts). And I'm glad you, with some expertise, brought this up because it is a major and potentially dangerous set of misconceptions that Americans have about Chinese as a language...cluster? spectrum? set? I've definitely run into people that think that modern spoken Chinese had the same geographic intelligibility as Classic Chinese, that is to say assuming that everybody who was inside the imperial borders from the Qin onwards spoke a single, mutually intelligible language. Hell pretty sure I fell into that line of thinking at a few points in undergrad.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCq1AkK_s88

another absolutely gorgeous restored warbird makes its first flight

190s engine sounds like the noise one makes as a child imitating an airplane

also that spit 14 (?) would've eaten its lunch irl

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

fake edit: to bring things back around to Europe for a moment, one of the big questions of the last decade is whether the EU should be a confederation or a federation. Right now it's basically a confederation, but there are those who read the "ever closer union" part of the preamble of the Treaty of Rome as aspiring to a federal model.

Mm. More 90s/early 2000s. I don't think any significant number of people are really pushing for ever-closer union any more for a variety of reasons *points at Greece for example* and the UK of course has recently completely noped out. Ever closer union was always a long shot and basically died for good when the EU listened to the US and admitted most of the eastern European countries. (Not just the US, the UK was the US's voice on this within the EU because the UK, especially on the right wing, feared being locked into a closer union where the driving force would be the Franco-German alliance. Which is why before it left the EU but after the expansion, it tended to ally with countries like Poland and also the other smaller EU states who were worrying about the same thing).

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FAUXTON posted:

I had no idea the senate of the czech republic has to return to castle wallenstein every session

It's a palace, not a castle, and it's less than five minutes by foot from a metro station.