Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

nesamdoom posted:

Day 55 without seeing my son, because 3 years ago I didn't know his mum was going to turn out to be the worst chick I've ever met.

Im sorry :( I hope it works out and you get to see your son, that fuckin blows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Posted a picture on reddit and some dude suggested I should use Finasteride for hair loss which came as a suprise to me. My dad who I got most of my features from has a lot of hair even in his fifties and I havent noticed anything ever (Im 26). Never had a change of hairline or missing hair at the top. Double checked pictures from 9 years ago and pretty much the same besides different hairstyle. Maybe I had thicker hair then? Maybe? I see no signs of real hair loss or decline, but still I am now im super paranoid and its itching in my scalp. So that pretty much ruined a good day and its likely over nothing.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I print advertisements and newspapers for a living.

We're out of paper.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
just one of those days. got a robocall from the pharmacy despite setting their number to auto-reject so it's supposed to only leave a voice mail, but it got through and woke me up anyways and I wasn't able to get back to sleep for almost an hour. took my dog out to go to the bathroom, tripped up the stone steps and fell down, skinning my shin and palm as I fell. had a wonderful dinner but apparently something wasn't right with it and it gave me painful indigestion. ordered something from a normally reputable website, they sent me the wrong things and aren't responding to my messages. I thought I had purged the source of the moths that had gotten in a small bag of rice but they keep appearing and I don't know where they're coming from now. lots of little annoying things making an otherwise normal day crappy.

Edit: the indigestion appears to have gone to full blown possible food poisoning and vomiting, cool. No idea what could have caused it. My stomach is empty and I can barely keep a little water down, and my abdomen still hurts.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Sep 16, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I was half asleep when doing math and ended up undercharging someone about half for a sale quote. Now I have to keep it, and maybe they will cancel, but I tell myself that one, my fault, and two, while I've had several people ask about this, no one wants to get the entire lot, they just want one or two. So while half isn't worth all of it, it is worth a lot of time trying to meet with various people if I can get it all done in one lump.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I keep pulling random muscles doing the stuff I normally do.

Stop making me feel old, body, I'm only 32. :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Detheros posted:

I keep pulling random muscles doing the stuff I normally do.

Stop making me feel old, body, I'm only 32. :(

Wait until the first time you sneeze wrong and can’t look left for a week.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Rolo posted:

Wait until the first time you sneeze wrong and can’t look left for a week.

Instead of that I just sneeze and get a soar throat for a week. :sigh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This is the first time since yesterday at around 6pm that I've not been vomiting every 15 minutes. My abdominal and chest muscles and throat are on fire from throwing up 120+ times and I've lost nearly 10 pounds. I can finally drink a little water or Gatorade and eat a couple saltines without it immediately being forced back out. I have no idea what caused it, I had some ratatouille with zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomatoes, onions, etc fresh-picked from a garden similar to some I had weeks ago, no idea what might have done it this time.

The only help the doctor I called offered was to go to urgent care/the ER and get an IV drip to prevent dehydration, guess there's nothing they can actually do to put a halt to that sort of thing, just have to let it run its course.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Detheros posted:

I print advertisements and newspapers for a living.

We're out of paper.

Still out of paper for the really loving important 106k run weekly job I'm printing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

This is the first time since yesterday at around 6pm that I've not been vomiting every 15 minutes. My abdominal and chest muscles and throat are on fire from throwing up 120+ times and I've lost nearly 10 pounds. I can finally drink a little water or Gatorade and eat a couple saltines without it immediately being forced back out. I have no idea what caused it, I had some ratatouille with zucchini, squash, eggplant, tomatoes, onions, etc fresh-picked from a garden similar to some I had weeks ago, no idea what might have done it this time.

The only help the doctor I called offered was to go to urgent care/the ER and get an IV drip to prevent dehydration, guess there's nothing they can actually do to put a halt to that sort of thing, just have to let it run its course.

What the hell did you eat to start this?

Was there some pesticide on that poo poo?

For me, it was Saturday. My hedgehog Butter died. She was about six years old, I got her as a rescue, and had her about six months. Mammals never live long enough.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean, I said what I ate in the post. ratatouille with garden-picked veggies, my neighbor doesn't use pesticides. I also had some snacks, but I doubt sherbet or tortilla chips would do that.

it's been almost 4 days since I last threw up, and my abdominal/chest/neck/shoulder muscles are finally almost recovered. they've been sore and bruised all weekend, the abdominal muscles started to give up around the hundredth time, spasming agonizingly after I dry heaved, like an abdominal charlie horse. just torturous. a family member suggested it might be Toxic Squash Syndrome, since I had summer squash in the ratatouille, but I eat summer squash all the time(I don't think summer squash even falls under toxic squash syndrome?), and the squash we got from them was from the same plant as the squash they gave us weeks ago, nobody else of either family had a reaction. I have no clue what caused it.

It was identical to when I had food poisoning from sweet potato fries I got from the frozen food section, I've had it happen twice, both from sweet potatoes, though both those times were more severe, lasting 36 hours or so each time and losing 10-12 pounds during that time period, producing immense amounts of bile. This sort of thing has only ever happened three times in my entire life, twice from the sweet potatoes and once from this. The doctor suggested an allergy but I'm not sure what anything from the ratatouille(tomatoes, onions, eggplant, squash, zucchini) and sweet potatoes have in common to cause a basically identical illness.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Friday: Covid vaccine booster shots okayed by FDA.

Sunday: Go to the website and make an appt to get my covid booster, set for Friday.

Monday: Wake up with covid.

So, yeah, vaccine-induced antibodies lasted (for me) exactly as long as my previous being-sick-induced antibodies. This is my third round of covid, but, without the vaccine, it would be my fourth. I guess my crappy immune system needs a booster . . . every 4.5 months, so it has time to kick in before the last round wears off at 5.5 months. :( I am perfectly willing to get a shot every single week, if it will keep me from being locked in, again and again and again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I bumped into my mom's old best friend from like 20-30 years ago at the supermarket. She is now a frail little old lady with an assistant. We met in the parking lot after and spoke for like 15 minutes, catching up a bunch, had a nice conversation. I mentioned a mutual friend of theirs, the crazy fucker who went to the Capitol on the 6th, and...a switch flipped. She said "oh, you know that was all staged, right? The fbi set it all up to kneecap trump." I had a moment of disbelief, just blankly stared at her. "I'm a trumper. A die-hard." She then started going in on conspiracy theories, how the coronavirus isn't dangerous, etc. I realized one of the things I heard her say in the store wasn't "were making do as well as we can with the vaccine", it was "were making do as well as we can WITHOUT the vaccine". I pretended I was getting mobbed by black flies and cut the conversation short.

Is my mom the only sane person left in her old friend group? gently caress. "Tell your mom to call me sometime!" I mean, I told her I encountered you, but she's not gonna call you because bitch you crazy

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Sep 22, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My dog won't eat. Been to vet, he's got an unexceptional case of pancreatitis, blood work is all normal, he's just not interested in food. Even with an appetite stimulant his willingness to eat keeps falling.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I'm studying surveying at a diploma level at a understaffed and underfunded institute. Two of my lecturers have given up completely and because of this there are major gaps in our classes knowledge and development.

We are being tested and assessed on stuff that hasn't been taught to us, there are generally little to no resources available and those that exist are 5 or more years old and rife with errors.

One lecturer in particular doesn't know how to use the software and equipment he is assessing us on but is going on long service soon so has given up any pretence of trying to teach.

It's become bad enough that I reached out to a good lecturer describing the situation and now things have been elevated and I have a meeting with the director come Monday.

I don't need this poo poo, I just want a piece of paper that says I'm allowed to have a job, but now I've got to walk into a room and lay down smack and potentially get two people fired. The long service lecturer is a prick but he's got a disabled daughter and I'm really feeling bad about the whole situation.

Why is it my job to flag just how hosed the course is? I'm calling all kind of poo poo down on my own head here and have no real confidence anything is going to be fixed as a result of me stirring the pot.

gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Me: laying in bed trying to sleep

My brain: allow me to recite the entire catalog of ancient YTMND memes that you have not thought about in 15 years

I have to work in 5 hours and I can't get to sleep ffffffffffff

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Saw a cockroach crawl out from behind the heater, and this morning saw a smaller one on my TV.

It's not spotlessly clean in my apartment but I do keep up with the dishes and trash. I eat at the coffee table by the heater but only to set a plate down.

I'm gonna put out boric acid and poison bait. If I keep seeing them I'm going to tell the landlord because I'm pretty sure they're coming from somewhere else or otherwise in the walls.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Captain Invictus posted:

Me: laying in bed trying to sleep

My brain: allow me to recite the entire catalog of ancient YTMND memes that you have not thought about in 15 years

I have to work in 5 hours and I can't get to sleep ffffffffffff

Did you get to the AU YTMND period at least?

Punch the Keys, for God's Sake!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Saw a cockroach crawl out from behind the heater, and this morning saw a smaller one on my TV.

It's not spotlessly clean in my apartment but I do keep up with the dishes and trash. I eat at the coffee table by the heater but only to set a plate down.

I'm gonna put out boric acid and poison bait. If I keep seeing them I'm going to tell the landlord because I'm pretty sure they're coming from somewhere else or otherwise in the walls.

Since you're in an apartment, it's veeeeeeery likely another unit next to, above, or below you is the origin, if you keep your own place reasonably clean. Infestations in units are notorious for spilling over to neighboring units.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm really grateful I have the kind of job where you can hustle and it pays off by you getting to finish early, but it's had the nasty side effect of my colleagues thinking I'm their mule. I wouldn't even mind that except I walk in on them talking poo poo about how I'm always "hiding away" (read: doing my job) because god forbid they have to wipe their own asses and earn their own keep.

Glad I have tomorrow off. I really grinded hard today and it paid off, now my colleague gets to be reminded hard of just how much I actually do for her.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Dear Minnesota and South Dakota: your laws on advertising alcohol are dumb and bad and make my job printing said advertisements a pain.

Love, your local Iowa Press Operator.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My uncle died unexpectedly. Basically had a major but otherwise routine spinal surgery. Recovery was going good, until it suddenly wasn't, and then he was gone.

I'm processing my own emotions well enough. I want to help my aunt and cousin somehow, though, but am limited by the fact that I live hours away. My mom is going to get with me so we can order a big thing of cookies or a meal, or something, but I just feel like I want to and should do more somehow.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
My landlord is such a piece of poo poo. Gaslighting, constant jabs at my expense, deliberate misinterpretation and misrepresentation of things I say, twisting everything so that poo poo is eternally my fault, the pretense of ignorance and complete inability to assume even a modicum of responsibility for the slightest things. The almost inevitable devolving into shouting and accusations. At this point every conversation with him is such a traumatic event that it shuts me down psychologically for the rest of the day. I feel like I've been beaten down and can barely pick myself off the floor. I told myself to try and not take it personally because he's like this with everyone - I've seen it - but I can't when he goes and twists specific things I've said against me. And then he accuses me of being too naive and sensitive, and tops it off with how he's really only looking out for me, and I understand that right? Go gently caress yourself.

I'm moving out in a few weeks but I think it'll take me a good long while to rid my brain of this rear end in a top hat.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Was scheduled to work from home today, but got a call an hour before I woke up asking me to come in. So I go in and I'm stuck in way heavier traffic than normal and end up being 40 minutes late.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I work for a small, local IT company, less than 100 employees.

At the start of October, we were informed that we were sold/acquired by a large, multi-national IT/computing company. Not going to say the name, but it's quite large and pretty much everyone knows of them.

So now we're all in a state of limbo not knowing who will or won't be let go (we all have assurances to at LEAST Jan 1...woo,) plus just the whole rigmarole of switching benefits, etc..

We've barely gotten any info the past month, only a tiny bit about their health plans and 401(k) but still not ENOUGH info, and open enrollment starts in a week and most of is still don't have access to the benefits website.

I'm already looking around for a new job, but IDK, I've applied to a few the past year or so and none have gone anywhere past an interview, so I guess I'm just a lousy candidate?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need not-insignificant dental surgery (don't get depressed for 20 years and neglect yourself, kids) and the office that's handling it has such bad turnover that my appointment keeps getting changed.

My work is very flexible but I'd kill for a solid date to fix my lovely mouth.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

skooma512 posted:

Very likely coming from someone else's apartment but pull your fridge out and check behind. Roaches love to nest by the motor/compressor.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Roaches go for ANYTHING electronic, when I lived with a roommate about 14 years back we had a neighbor get an infestation of German cockroaches. Took loving forever to get rid of them, mainly because my roommate was a goddamn slob & kept bitching about it instead of cleaning up the boxes/cans & other trash in his room. They love anything electronic, so double-check stuff like speakers, alarm clocks, PC towers/laptops, lamps, etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
i found my stepdads body a few hours ago

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he was talking to mom sunday about being really stressed out from work and feeling shaky, so he was going to go home and go to bed. and that's where we found him, since he didn't show up for work on monday, which he's abnormally punctual about, they called his daughter and then his daughter called us. we found him curled up in bed, holding a stuffed animal his daughter made for him years ago, he died in his sleep, seemingly peacefully. I knew he was dead as soon as we got the phone call, he's always been incredibly diligent about work and his schedule, almost obsessively.

I'm just feeling kinda numb right now. I'm mostly worried about mom at the moment. she can't go out much, so her daily interactions have mostly been me and him. She's smiling and joking a lot right now, but there's this distinct emptiness in her eyes since we saw him. I think it's going to really set in hard over the next few days, so I want to be there for her as much as possible.

his biological daughters came shortly afterwards. the one who got the call from his work was appropriately devastated, but the other one, while we were waiting for the hearse to arrive, was laying in the grass, kicking her feet playfully. she was talking to someone on the phone about how "their money problems are now over", about all the things she wanted to buy now, and I nearly lost my poo poo. what a loving ghoul. he's barely even cold yet and she's already celebrating, like he was a wallet that had been locked up until now.

we got home and my dog immediately knew something was wrong. she would not leave mom's side at all and is still practically glued to her in bed. I am so glad we have her, she has helped so much just by being there the last 18 or so hours.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 06:52 on Nov 9, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's so stupid. I wanted to get to know him better, I called him dad for the first time earlier this year and had the first real sit down talk with him around that time, and wanted to learn more about him since for so many years I felt like I was getting in the way of him and mom and being a burden. And I finally start to break that irrational barrier and now he's just gone overnight. I just feel so empty, and it's not even like I knew him super well yet, but I wanted to. And now I can't. He was such a caring person and now he's gone.

And on top of that I'm so terrified for mom because I've seen what happened with my grandparents when they lost their SO or reason to live, they went downhill so absurdly quickly. She talked to him twice a day at least, and now she can't. And I'm so ridiculously worried. Her health isn't great to begin with, and this is the worst possible thing that could happen to her besides maybe losing me I guess. I want to reach out to my neighbors who are like family to us and see if they can help us. Maybe find her a group at church to talk with, or some friends to chat with, someone to interact with.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

jesus christ dude that sucks. condolences.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Day 63 of my third bout of covid. How long do I have to stay sick to win a prize?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Day 63 of my third bout of covid. How long do I have to stay sick to win a prize?

Just six more days, hang in there buddy

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013

Biplane posted:

Just six more days, hang in there buddy

Okay, now it's only five.

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

every major appliance and vehicle in my home is breaking at once

started a huge fight with my family over dumb poo poo at a dumb time

wanted to vent to an online friend i hadn't seen around in a while and found their obituary from three weeks ago

lol

lmao

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yep had that happen with a couple goon friends, went to talk to them to catch up and found that they had died from various terrible causes. it's the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just need somewhere to vent this. Me and my other half put an offer on a house and it was accepted. But I'm a neurotic mess at the best of times so now I'm worried about things like "what if we don't actually have the money for closing costs like we were told we did?" "What if our number crunching was wrong and we can't afford this?" "What if (insert next thing)?" It wakes me up through the night and it's all I can think about.

Meanwhile my partner is sleeping calm as can be and isn't concerned at all and I'm jealous