Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

b_d posted:

ok that makes sense. the first panel is still confusing then. is it before he became a ghost. or are they hanging out in some kind of meta bar where video game characters hang out even if they're ghosts.

you know, to help you out in the future, long-running comics often have this weird thing where your best chance to understand them is to go back to the first strip and read all of them in sequence as fast as possible

you should do that, that'll probably clear up any confusion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
New Theory: Falco is of the Rito people and the technology and events shown in the Starfox games exists in an ancient Hyrule timeline.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Actual effort post, because I guess why not.

In BotW because you find out in flashbacks that the reason Calamity Ganon succeeded in loving things up was that the king and Zelda were both really stressed out by the death of the queen, Zelda's mom. Afterwards King Rhoam found out about the prophecy of Ganon destroying Hyrule and put a lot of pressure on Zelda to awaken her magic powers to seal Ganon away. Zelda on the other hand wanted to play with robots, which made the king think she wasn't taking her duty seriously and would constantly reprimand her for playing with the robots, which stressed her out even more. All this stress caused Zelda to fail to awaken her powers, which meant Ganon wins.

In Age of Calamity on the other hand, King Rhoam realizes he's been too harsh on Zelda and that Terrako has been a huge help to the Hyrule forces, so he accepts that Zelda should get to play with robots. This leads to Zelda not being stressed out and succeeding in awakening her powers.

However the message from this is not "there is a dark side to Hyrule and the royal family is secretly evil and Zelda was Ganon all along" because that is an insane theory that can only be reached by ignoring everything about the Zelda series. The message is "King Rhoam was a Bad Dad for putting too much pressure on his daughter."

It's not even like the past kings of Hyrule were all bad or anything, either. All of them were presented as pretty decent guys, hell the Great King mentioned in Zelda II ruled with the power of the unified Triforce. The most you can blame them for is getting tricked by Ganondorf/Agahnim in OoT/LttP, which okay maybe they weren't the brightest guys but that hardly makes them dark or evil. Also the king in Minish Cap gets possessed by Vaati, but again, not really his fault. And of course King Harkinian tried to think of how he could help defeat Ganon, when he wasn't wondering what was for dinner.

The idea is, there's a kingdom, and when everything is in balance everyone is happy. But sometimes, people abuse the kingdom's power, and this is what turns it from a golden land into a dark world. So you get points in hyrule's history where it rules with grace and wisdom, and you also get the parts where they build an underground torture chamber with a giant swinging schythe.

So usually, the guy who Ganondorf is is just someone within the kingdom who wants more power. In this one, there isn't that. The kingdom is accumulating a huge amount of power. It came from...within

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Ganon is Pinochet duh.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe go on E-Shop sale one time please god ever just one time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the Hylians using the old ancient robot tech specifically as a defense against the Calamity Ganon? Like they weren't just accumulating that power for no reason, they were trying to use it to fight Ganon's minions, and Zelda was into that because she was curious and into science and ancient Sheikah tech.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Libluini posted:

you know, to help you out in the future, long-running comics often have this weird thing where your best chance to understand them is to go back to the first strip and read all of them in sequence as fast as possible

you should do that, that'll probably clear up any confusion!

i ilke asking stuff

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

cum jabbar posted:

Bought Xenoblade 1 today. It looks and feels so much better than the Wii version

The quality of life stuff is bonkers. Better pathing for quests and exact markers for the blue-dot items you need is an absolute game changer.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

b_d posted:

ok that makes sense. the first panel is still confusing then. is it before he became a ghost. or are they hanging out in some kind of meta bar where video game characters hang out even if they're ghosts.

They're just in a bar out drinking together. The comic takes place in a world where video game characters hang out. The other guy is the captain or whatever. There are a lot of comics that make jokes about video game memes. For instance there's one where Sten from Dragon Age gets mad at everyone memeing to him about cookies.

It's a fairly innofensive comic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FunkyAl posted:

The idea is, there's a kingdom, and when everything is in balance everyone is happy. But sometimes, people abuse the kingdom's power, and this is what turns it from a golden land into a dark world.

Uh, no, Ganondorf's wish to rule the world turned it from the Golden Land into the Dark World. Ganondorf was not a member of the royal family. He was a thief. OoT turned him into a Gerudo, which was a tribe of people who were not affiliated with the royal family and lived in the desert, who pretended to submit to the king of Hyrule in order to steal the Triforce for himself. Zelda didn't trust him, but her father didn't believe her, so she sent Link to get the spiritual stones to try and stop Ganondorf. None of this comes from "abusing the kingdom's power," because the Triforce doesn't actually belong to the Hyrule royal family, although they do come into possession of it occasionally like the Great King mentioned in Zelda II.

FunkyAl posted:

So usually, the guy who Ganondorf is is just someone within the kingdom who wants more power. In this one, there isn't that. The kingdom is accumulating a huge amount of power. It came from...within

No on both counts. Ganondorf is never anyone but himself, notably Ganondorf is the only one who stays the exact same character throughout the entire series. You seem to have confused the fact that Agahnim is an avatar of Ganon with him becoming a different person, which isn't the case (in the games at least; in the manga Agahnim is a priest who becomes corrupted by Ganon's power, though he still isn't Ganon himself). The magician who puts Zelda into an eternal sleep and manipulates the prince of Hyrule in Zelda II isn't Ganon either; Ganon is completely dead and Link's blood is needed to revive Ganon.

Calamity Ganon didn't come from within the Hyrule royal family, he had lost his form over the countless centuries of trying to kill Link and Zelda and had turned into a being of pure malice, which infected the robots.

Harrow posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the Hylians using the old ancient robot tech specifically as a defense against the Calamity Ganon? Like they weren't just accumulating that power for no reason, they were trying to use it to fight Ganon's minions, and Zelda was into that because she was curious and into science and ancient Sheikah tech.

Correct, King Rhoam ordered the excavation of the Guardians and the Divine Beasts to use to fight against Ganon, and then Ganon hosed up those plans by using his malice to possess them and turn them against Hyrule. There could be a message there too about "The things you think are protecting you may end up hurting you in the end," but given that everything turned out okay in the alternate timeline where Zelda got the sealing magic and they were able to stop the Calamity despite Ganon possessing the robots, it's still the fault of King Rhoam stressing out Zelda that screwed up everything.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

'Dorf in Wind Waker was so good. Felt a bit sad for him when you slotted the sword into his brain.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah, Wind Waker giving him a kind of sympathetic motivation rather than the cartoon villain "I WANT TO RULE THE WORLD BECAUSE I AM EVIL" motivation was nice. And then Skyward Sword retconned that by going "Nope actually he's just 100% evil and you shouldn't feel bad for him in any way." Yet another reason why Skyward Sword is garbage.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Zelda chat is great because it always lands on ‘wind waker is the best one’ which is true.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

New Theory: Falco is of the Rito people and the technology and events shown in the Starfox games exists in an ancient Hyrule timeline.

That much is clear. It's a clear chain of evolution from Loftwing to Rito to Falco.

It used to be thought that Rito evolved from Zora, but that's been thoroughly disproven by now

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

anatomi posted:

'Dorf in Wind Waker was so good. Felt a bit sad for him when you slotted the sword into his brain.

I loved this ending so much. Ganon sort of monologuing AFTER he got the sword in the head was :stare:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I loved this ending so much. Ganon sort of monologuing AFTER he got the sword in the head was :stare:

Ganondorf just has a dying line about the wind and then immediately becomes stone. I dunno if that counts as a monologue.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Do any of you zelda fans out there know if Ganondorf's turds became stone along with him or were his turds preserved, fully intact but incased in stone?

Ah but maybe he went to the bathroom before he did battle. Very wise.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Do any of you zelda fans out there know if Ganondorf's turds became stone along with him or were his turds preserved, fully intact but incased in stone?

Ah but maybe he went to the bathroom before he did battle. Very wise.

Ganonically, he doesn't poop.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Ganonically, he doesn't poop.

the hyrule historia books are semi-canon at best so that whole page about the zeldaverses toilet habit doesn't really fly here. Is there an explicit mention of this in the games anywhere?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a formal education in video games but Zelda seems to me like an aesthetic palette rather than a big story

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Gannon is a clone of Ganon, only bigger

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CPColin posted:

Gannon is a clone of Ganon, only bigger

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just Andi Now posted:

Ganondorf just has a dying line about the wind and then immediately becomes stone. I dunno if that counts as a monologue.

Ah right, I misremembered.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

It's a fairly innofensive comic.

uh yeah? i'm not trying to cancel it or something.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'd be scared to go to the bathroom in a Zelda world, a creepy hand might reach out of the toilet.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Martman posted:

I'd be scared to go to the bathroom in a Zelda world, a creepy hand might reach out of the toilet.

That's zora's domain, baby.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Martman posted:

Sounds like a premium feature

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Port the remastered Wind Waker Nintendo, you fucks

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Port the remastered Wind Waker Nintendo, you fucks

hehe... PORT... the boat game :xd:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Bleck posted:

The other guy in the first panel is The Commander, the main character of that particular comic, who is out drinking with Ganondorf

Oh. I thought it was Simon Belmont

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_J38gbSnA

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Martman posted:

it's called a bidet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KOTOR is hilariously simple by modern standards but still quite good. This is a good port.

I love how dumb and basic the alignment system is.

"You saved my life! I don't have much but I'd like you to have this!"

- I can't take anything of yours. In fact take 500 credits (light side)
- Thank you very much. Stay safe. (Neutral)
- This isn't nearly enough! I'll kill you myself!!!!! (Dark side)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Holy incontinent making GBS threads jesus christ is the water temple bad.

Like, I recalled from when I first played it that there was some tedious finagling here and there but WOW, my memory must have been covering up some severe (video game) trauma.

What the fuuuuuuuuuck is this bullshit?

In the granddaddy list of all temples, you have:

1. Forest Temple
2. Goldeneye temple
3. Temple level from Spelunky
2704. Water Temple

How hard is it to make something water based that doesn't involve changing the goddamned water level and/or requiring my goddamned iron boots every 30 loving seconds? Fighting my evil self was a joy compared to playing the most hosed up version of "Float or Sink: You're an rear end in a top hat and Everything Sucks" edition.

:psyduck:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nah, that's not Simon Belmont. This is Simon Belmont.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

KOTOR is hilariously simple by modern standards but still quite good. This is a good port.

I love how dumb and basic the alignment system is.

"You saved my life! I don't have much but I'd like you to have this!"

- I can't take anything of yours. In fact take 500 credits (light side)
- Thank you very much. Stay safe. (Neutral)
- This isn't nearly enough! I'll kill you myself!!!!! (Dark side)
Welcome to Bioware Morality. From what I've seen of Dragon Age and Mass Effect, I don't think they've gotten any better at it over the years.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy incontinent making GBS threads jesus christ is the water temple bad.

Like, I recalled from when I first played it that there was some tedious finagling here and there but WOW, my memory must have been covering up some severe (video game) trauma.

What the fuuuuuuuuuck is this bullshit?

In the granddaddy list of all temples, you have:

1. Forest Temple
2. Goldeneye temple
3. Temple level from Spelunky
2704. Water Temple

How hard is it to make something water based that doesn't involve changing the goddamned water level and/or requiring my goddamned iron boots every 30 loving seconds? Fighting my evil self was a joy compared to playing the most hosed up version of "Float or Sink: You're an rear end in a top hat and Everything Sucks" edition.

:psyduck:
The 3DS remake turns the Iron Boots from a piece of equipment that you have to pause and menu to equip or unequip into an item you use one of your buttons to take on or off, and that change alone makes the Water Temple like 80% less annoying.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

b_d posted:

uh yeah? i'm not trying to cancel it or something.

the author is cool and the art is nice, as far as video game webcomics go it's pretty good!

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
Is there a way to set up an alert when the 64 controllers go on sale again? I thought putting them on the wishlist would send me an email or something but I didn't get one when they opened the second round of orders

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Calamity Ganon didn't come from within the Hyrule royal family, he had lost his form over the countless centuries of trying to kill Link and Zelda and had turned into a being of pure malice, which infected the robots.

Correct, King Rhoam ordered the excavation of the Guardians and the Divine Beasts to use to fight against Ganon, and then Ganon hosed up those plans by using his malice to possess them and turn them against Hyrule. There could be a message there too about "The things you think are protecting you may end up hurting you in the end," but given that everything turned out okay in the alternate timeline where Zelda got the sealing magic and they were able to stop the Calamity despite Ganon possessing the robots, it's still the fault of King Rhoam stressing out Zelda that screwed up everything.

To be fair, Hyrule being destroyed through the hubris of returning to its Drone Warfare sins of the past which come back to haunt it, or the Calamity being unintentionally manifested through Rhoam's failure to understand and coach his daughter, would both have been more interesting premises than "Calamity Ganon also coincidentally happened alongside these events".

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 22, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

To be fair, Hyrule being destroyed through the hubris of returning to its Drone Warfare sins of the past which come back to haunt it, or the Calamity being unintentionally manifested through Rhoam's failure to understand and coach his daughter, would both have been more interesting premises than "Calamity Ganon also coincidentally happened alongside these events".

I don't see how the interpretation caused such a big derail, it seems pretty harmless?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Oh absolutely. And Zelda being really cool and fighting alongside Link or even just taking matters into her own hands and fighting Ganon herself would also be more interesting than the usual Zelda fare. But Zelda is what it is, and if you're looking for anything more complicated than "Immortal pig man constantly tries to take over the world and mess with the descendants of those meddling kids" you're mostly playing the wrong game series.

It should be noted that the Zelda games that don't follow that premise, like Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask and Minish Cap are actually the best games in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

The 3DS remake turns the Iron Boots from a piece of equipment that you have to pause and menu to equip or unequip into an item you use one of your buttons to take on or off, and that change alone makes the Water Temple like 80% less annoying.

I'm assuming you still have the need to change the water levels, ergo thanks I (still would) hate it.

Easily equipping the boots would definitely help, though.