Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would very much like it if you would elaborate. Seems like a good topic for a small effortpost!
Greyjoy you have to see why people are reluctant to effort post about anything that can be vaguely construed as pro PRC when the response is almost inevitably denigration and being ganged up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

A big flaming stink posted:

Greyjoy you have to see why people are reluctant to effort post about anything that can be vaguely construed as pro PRC when the response is almost inevitably denigration and being ganged up on.

Weird how people can be critical of the US while explaining it's functions all the time. I wonder what the difference is.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Despera posted:

When did the Womens Tennis Association becone the US Governmentt?

It is a private corporation founded (by a Phillip Morris executive who worked in Cuba) and headquartered in the United States, and as we’ve seen from the Snowden leaks and other stories, US corporations are at the beck and call of the US government — its intelligence apparatus in particular. So it may not be outlandish to consider them the same in practice.

e: more in the Cuban cigar company, nothing specific but a little eyebrow raising:

quote:

At the outbreak of World War I, Hermann and Albert Upmann used their business interests in Cuba and the US to conceal their operation of a German intelligence network.[5] The Upmanns and their agents were suspected of fomenting revolts in Haiti in 1916 and the Dominican Republic in 1916, and of providing arms and assistance to Cuban general Jose Miguel Gómez in his attempted coup against President Mario Garcia Menocal after the Cuban presidential elections of 1916.[5] The H. Upmann bank building on Calle Mercaderes was regularly used as a stopover point by German agents traveling between Mexico and Europe.[5]

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 22, 2021

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

This is an incredibly bad post to make. Who are the tankies? who is saying US bad? What do you actually hope to accomplish with this post other than a sick burn that honestly is extremely tired and lame?

You brought the US into this when it had nothing to do with the the topic

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Weird how people can be critical of the US while explaining it's functions all the time. I wonder what the difference is.

I legit have no idea what you are talking about or referring to

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

It is a private corporation founded and headquartered in the United States, and as we’ve seen from the Snowden leaks and other stories, US corporations are at the beck and call of the US government — its intelligence apparatus in particular. So it may not be outlandish to consider them the same in practice.

this is quite a stretch

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Being pro prc is being pro genocide. Maybe rethink your stance rather than neg the mods

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

Or, the third option, which is that you have zero understanding of how China's legal system works and so do not understand that they have had laws against media influencing investigations since before Peng was born, and therefore they can't talk about it until the investigation is concluded.

This option, by the way, is the correct one.

Sure, fill me in. Is Peng's retraction the result of China's legal system in action? Is an investigation underway into the rape itself? I find it hard to believe that it's illegal for Chinese media to report on or discuss investigations before they're concluded. Since uh, they seem to do it all the time. I assume you don't need me to google examples of "Government launches investigation into X" headlines from the state media.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I would very much like it if you would elaborate. Seems like a good topic for a small effortpost!

I'm at work but I can post more relevant sections of the law later.

However yes, China has laws specifically prohibiting the media from mentioning anything outside of general outlines of ongoing investigations out of fear that even well meaning press can still bias people one way or another, and it is in the best interests of everyone involved to let the investigation finish without salacious reporting such as you constantly see from the western media.

When it comes to Peng herself, I do not know and will not attempt to guess any specifics but from reading her statement it seems this situation is nowhere near as cut and dry for anyone involved as the CIA would like you to believe. It would generally be sound legal advice for anyone, if making such accusations about a powerful person, to not post about it online.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this is quite a stretch

Why? One of the companies the founder worked for was used as a front for spying, after all. These kinds of things are possible, and corporations fall to government pressure all the time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eh, I get it but pm me if an effortpost gets attacked with low effort

CaptainACAB posted:

I'm at work but I can post more relevant sections of the law later.

However yes, China has laws specifically prohibiting the media from mentioning anything outside of general outlines of ongoing investigations out of fear that even well meaning press can still bias people one way or another, and it is in the best interests of everyone involved to let the investigation finish without salacious reporting such as you constantly see from the western media.

When it comes to Peng herself, I do not know and will not attempt to guess any specifics but from reading her statement it seems this situation is nowhere near as cut and dry for anyone involved as the CIA would like you to believe. It would generally be sound legal advice for anyone, if making such accusations about a powerful person, to not post about it online.

I recommend treading lightly regarding the veracity of the accusation. I would legit appreciate some effort posting regarding the law.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
All you need to know about China's legal system is it has a 99.965% conviction rate.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Despera posted:

All you need to know about China's legal system is it has a 99.965% conviction rate.

That’s about the same as Japan’s. What does that say about Japan’s legal system?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

Why? One of the companies the founder worked for was used as a front for spying, after all. These kinds of things are possible, and corporations fall to government pressure all the time.
Wait, are you actually meaning to insinuate that the Women's Tennis Association of all things is a CIA front?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

eh, I get it but pm me if an effortpost gets attacked with low effort

What the gently caress do you call this

Despera posted:

Being pro prc is being pro genocide. Maybe rethink your stance rather than neg the mods

I'm not asking for you to probe my posting enemies, but is it any wonder this thread is so poo poo when such outright contempt is displayed towards people on one side of the discourse?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mawarannahr posted:

That’s about the same as Japan’s. What does that say about Japan’s legal system?

Very bad things. This is something that's been widely discussed elsewhere.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Should everyone just agree with you instead?

Also, there's a difference between the PRC and the CCP.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

Must be interesting to live in a reality where literally anything is possible, and literally every notion and outlandish claim should be entertained based on the most flimsy connection and insane leap of logic.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

What the gently caress do you call this

I'm not asking for you to prove my posting enemies, but is it any wonder this thread is so poo poo when such outright contempt is displayed towards people on one side of the discourse?

Fact: There is a genocide occurring in Xinjing

Fact: The perpetrator of this genocide is the chinese goverment

Fact: Supporting that goverment on this board is tolerated.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Despera posted:

For 2012, the US Department of Justice reported a 93% conviction rate.

Federal governments overwhelmingly win cases they pursue in court.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

That half the cases are dropped? Jesus wikipedia is hard

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Of course you dont mention states, or the fact that china tried 1.2 million people

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

mawarannahr posted:

Japan's legal system is lovely, albeit for vastly different reasons. Prosecutors are extremely reluctant to ever have a loss on their records, which is why they rarely prosecute crimes without getting a confession. The end result is them dropping most cases that come across their desk.

Denying legal council, having closed door trials, or arresting journalists for reporting on cases isn't really the issue.

And only about 10% of US criminal cases are handled by those federal courts. In state and local courts, conviction rates range from 60-80% depending on the crime and locality. Excellent cherry-picking though, it's a shame I've seen CCP apologists do it before

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
These arent even the good CCP apologists

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Epinephrine posted:

Wait, are you actually meaning to insinuate that the Women's Tennis Association of all things is a CIA front?

Let me clarify: any corporation (any organization, really) within the United States, any — not WTA specifically — is liable to be used as a tool by the US government. This isn’t specific to WTA; I only provided a weak example of the web of relations that tie companies and intelligence networks of capitalist countries together. I have no other knowledge of or opinion regarding the WTA, and I hope Peng sees whatever justice necessary be exacted.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Must be interesting to live in a reality where literally anything is possible, and literally every notion and outlandish claim should be entertained based on the most flimsy connection and insane leap of logic.

Please do not insinuate insanity, it’s an extremely offensive personal attack that punches down at people with mental illness, like my literally autistic self who has been called that on account of my condition.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

mawarannahr posted:

Please do not insinuate insanity, it’s an extremely offensive personal attack that punches down at people with mental illness, like my literally autistic self who has been called that on account of my condition.

You're not insane and I'm sorry if people have called you that because of your autism. I would say that believing that any corporation that does business in the United States is a potential CIA front is pretty conspiracy-minded thinking.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Potential CIA Front: Woman's Tennis Association.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Despera posted:

Fact: There is a genocide occurring in Xinjing

Fact: The perpetrator of this genocide is the chinese goverment

Fact: Supporting that goverment on this board is tolerated.

This isn't helpful.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Daduzi posted:

This isn't helpful.

I dont have to be helpful to genocide supporters. In fact id rather not be.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Despera posted:

Potential CIA Front: Woman's Tennis Association.

Is it hard to believe, and does not history show, that organizations are susceptible to government pressure (and receive things in return for it)? People say the same about all corporations in Russia being a FSB front. Aside from the revelations about the NSA, what do you think the 60,000 working under civilian cover in private corporations do?

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley
People are throwing around a lot of numbers which usually I would question their source, however in this case it doesn't matter much given as there is still absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Peng is being detained, surveiled or harmed by the Chinese state.

It doesn't matter though, if you're an enemy of the US, we can and will just make up whatever wild stories we like and the press will just accept them, as we have seen time and time again.

I would ask people to post actual evidence of their wild assertions but since there is none, it's kind of pointless.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Daduzi posted:

This isn't helpful.

It's sadly true, however.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CaptainACAB posted:

People are throwing around a lot of numbers which usually I would question their source, however in this case it doesn't matter much given as there is still absolutely no evidence whatsoever that Peng is being detained, surveiled or harmed by the Chinese state.

It doesn't matter though, if you're an enemy of the US, we can and will just make up whatever wild stories we like and the press will just accept them, as we have seen time and time again.

I would ask people to post actual evidence of their wild assertions but since there is none, it's kind of pointless.

Yeah says the guy who is certain that Jen Psaki is a mossad agent.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
For those pointing out her photoshoot with her pet as evidence nothing is wrong then WHY would it be posted by state media and not her private account?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

CaptainACAB posted:

But there's a ton of evidence, in which Peng being under government detention is the only rational explanation.

Either that or that she randomly and coincidentally changed her mind, unprovoked, at the exact same time the government censored her and all discussion of the matter. And that Peng would be willing to scare the hell out of her fans and coworkers by vanishing in such a way as to give everyone the impression of being put under residential surveillance. Does this seem like a plausible scenario to you? I asked earlier but didn't get a response

Also the government has widely censored all discussion of her accusation and the crime, which is pretty harmful! Do you disagree?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Despera posted:

I dont have to be helpful to genocide supporters. In fact id rather not be.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's sadly true, however.

Not everyone who voices support of the PRC is a genocide supporter, just like not everyone who criticizes the CCP is an American shill.

This thread is bad enough as it is.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Despera posted:

Yeah says the guy who is certain that Jen Psaki is a mossad agent.

Unlike the wild bullshit you post, it is a verifiable fact that Jen Psaki has taken money from Israeli intelligence. You can in fact find evidence of it from her own mouth.

Not that you'd care, as your entire gimmick this far has been ignoring first hand evidence in favor of some poo poo so fantastical JRR Tolkien would laugh.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I really don’t get how mossad is involved tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Daduzi posted:

Not everyone who voices support of the PRC is a genocide supporter, just like not everyone who criticizes the CCP is an American shill.

This thread is bad enough as it is.

ooooh explain that to me.