Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Cool Down was something that Kami deliberately made part of the Dragon Balls. In his first appearance when he restored Shenron, he even removed the cool down so they could have the wish to revive Piccolo’s victims right away instead of making them wait a year cause King Piccolo just did the youth restore wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Cool Down was something that Kami deliberately made part of the Dragon Balls. In his first appearance when he restored Shenron, he even removed the cool down so they could have the wish to revive Piccolo’s victims right away instead of making them wait a year cause King Piccolo just did the youth restore wish.

But Porunga also has a cooldown. They had to wait like 3 months to revive everyone and move to New Namek.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Maybe a month on this planet is equal to a year on Earth?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Cabbit posted:

If it was just punching, sure, but it seems to have turned Gas into a Green Lantern also.

Isn't this the first time we've seen him fight? This could just be regular Gas stuff turned up to 11. A question I have about this whole thing is how much Gas actually sacrificed for this. Like the dragon said Granolah did not have it in him to be the number 1 without the life span cost. Gas is theoretically suppose to be a bit of freak, and might the possibility may not have been so out of reach.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

But Porunga also has a cooldown. They had to wait like 3 months to revive everyone and move to New Namek.

The Namekian Elder also probably put a cool down on it, the Namekian Dragon Balls also don’t scatter after use.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Putting a cooldown on your magic wish balls seems like an intelligent thing to do if you don't want the first person to collect them to have the equivalent of a pet genie with infinite wishes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Kanos posted:

Putting a cooldown on your magic wish balls seems like an intelligent thing to do if you don't want the first person to collect them to have the equivalent of a pet genie with infinite wishes.

There are enough bits where somebody is waffling for some reason or another while trying to do their wish and the dragon get impatient with them that I assume chain calling them would eventually piss them off?

One of these days I'd like it the dragons offered their perspective on the whole wish thing.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Caidin posted:

One of these days I'd like it the dragons offered their perspective on the whole wish thing.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The Shadow Dragon premise was really loving cool but, as everything GT, was executed terribly. I'd love to have a revised take on the Shadow Dragons

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the younger Dragon Room staff or Toyotaro convince Toriyama to make a movie or manga arc about exactly that, since we've seen GT and Toei-original concepts remixed a few times now in Super. As big a GT hater as I am, even I have to admit the concept of the shadow dragons is a good one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The ending of GT, where Goku goes off with Shenron to ascend to a higher plane of existence, was good stuff.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I actually think this whole "wishing to be stronger than the last dude who wished to be the strongest" might lead to either a GT-style corruption or exhaustion of the balls or maybe the Z-Warriors go around collecting the Multiverse's balls to store them safely and avoid this bullshit again.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Wishing to be the strongest seems like it’s just a trap in multiple ways, even short term someone with more combat experience can narrow the power level gap like Vegeta showed.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Last Celebration posted:

Wishing to be the strongest seems like its just a trap in multiple ways, even short term someone with more combat experience can narrow the power level gap like Vegeta showed.

Clearly this is a setup for ao Pai Pai (Ultra Instinct)'s introduction as the final villain of DBS.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
We also don't know EXACTLY what Elec's wish was for Gas. He's been aged up and he's super strong, we don't really know if the green lantern poo poo is something he already had or not.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t think Gas would voluntarily shorten his life for a power boost, he was already confident of his strength

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

bowmore posted:

I don’t think Gas would voluntarily shorten his life for a power boost, he was already confident of his strength

Yeah but Elec made the wish.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The ending of GT, where Goku goes off with Shenron to ascend to a higher plane of existence, was good stuff.

No it sucked and was basically the ending of the Cell arc again wrt to Goku's character and the best poo poo they've done with him since then has been him interacting with his family and friends. Him dying off yet again but in a slightly more positive manner just kind of blows. Goku should go home and be a family man.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I want to say that the Toronbo dragon balls did have a year of cool down? I thought it was briefly mentioned either by Monaito at the start or Granolah when he introduced them to the Heeters. But the cerulean had a very short year. Like a month or something. But I can’t look it up and I can’t find any proof. So maybe I dreamed it.

Edit: it’s more fun to think Monaito never applied a limit. Just to hammer home how incompetent he is.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Old man Goku and Vegeta pissing off to the middle of nowhere in space to have one last fight to the death is still my ending for them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I hope Frieza shows up, immediately kills whoever needs to be killed (Goku?) and everyone else goes home

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Personally I'm enjoying this arc more than the last one because I like Trunks Granolah more than Cell Moro.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

dipwood posted:

Personally I'm enjoying this arc more than the last one because I like Trunks Granolah more than Cell Moro.

Ok follow this, your post gave me the idea of Trunks-as-villain, going all the way back to Android Saga, in which you justify a future in which Trunks never clearly learns the entire story of the past and his family, but is able to finish the time machine his mother started from instructions, and tries to go back to stop what he thinks CAUSED the androids - primarily Goku. His task of survival semi-alone in the hell timeline means he powerlevels to Super Saiyan. He shows up, finds the Z fighters already contending with Frieza, aces him and Cold like nothing to do the typical villain's-strength establishment, and then he begins to immediately harass everyone else. They hold him off until Goku arrives, they duke it to a standstill, and then you just lead from there. The twist being him discovering who his parents are, Goku's innocence, the mass assault of 16-17-18-19-20, and then leading into a Cell finale where Trunks finally fully joins them as a hero.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

Old man Goku and Vegeta pissing off to the middle of nowhere in space to have one last fight to the death is still my ending for them.

Yeah, of all the 'canon' endings to date "Goku and Vegeta have one last absurdly epic fight to the death with an unclear conclusion" is probably the most sensible for the character. Goku as presented is not really the guy who is going to ascend if it means he loses out on kickin' rad fights.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The old idea takes on some great meaning if you allow them to use what they will ultimately achieve (forms/etc). It's a neat idea to think of them never accepting any full divinity, instead choosing to live fully and die old as mortal Saiyans who surpass gods and angels.

Well, and then probably ascending into afterlife divinity proper.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Black August posted:

Ok follow this, your post gave me the idea of Trunks-as-villain, going all the way back to Android Saga, in which you justify a future in which Trunks never clearly learns the entire story of the past and his family, but is able to finish the time machine his mother started from instructions, and tries to go back to stop what he thinks CAUSED the androids - primarily Goku. His task of survival semi-alone in the hell timeline means he powerlevels to Super Saiyan. He shows up, finds the Z fighters already contending with Frieza, aces him and Cold like nothing to do the typical villain's-strength establishment, and then he begins to immediately harass everyone else. They hold him off until Goku arrives, they duke it to a standstill, and then you just lead from there. The twist being him discovering who his parents are, Goku's innocence, the mass assault of 16-17-18-19-20, and then leading into a Cell finale where Trunks finally fully joins them as a hero.

I'm pretty sure that's just Silver The Hedgehog in Sonic 2006.

Who, to be fair, feels like a pretty obvious Trunks reference.

Edit--
Not that its a bad idea.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given how much Dragon Ball loves having Goku have to fight a dude before befriending him, I'm almost surprised that didn't happen. That said, probably one of the key defining traits of Future Trunks is that, while he definitely has his flaws, he doesn't gently caress about. He doesn't have much sense of tactics due to having little experience fighting anyone but the Androids, but when he has the opportunity to take the shot, he takes it. (also helps that he's not the main protagonist obliged to make the fight as spectacular as possible) And conversely, he's not going to pick any fights unless he thinks they're necessary.

It kinda becomes the character's joke that he tries to use common sense in a setting where common sense rarely works. S'why he works so well in Abridged despite barely changing at all, because everyone around him is ridiculous.

Captain France posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just Silver The Hedgehog in Sonic 2006.

Who, to be fair, feels like a pretty obvious Trunks reference.

Edit--
Not that its a bad idea.

Sonic does love those references. I mean, Shadow is basically Vegeta and all.

Black August posted:

The old idea takes on some great meaning if you allow them to use what they will ultimately achieve (forms/etc). It's a neat idea to think of them never accepting any full divinity, instead choosing to live fully and die old as mortal Saiyans who surpass gods and angels.

Well, and then probably ascending into afterlife divinity proper.

I still reckon Bulla is totally in the wings to become the next God of Destruction... though not sure what alcohol pun you can get out of her name.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Super Sonic is a pretty clear reference to Super Saiyan. Shadow is Vegeta. Silver is Trunks. Oddly enough, Blaze did come before Mai, who seems to fill a similar role.

Also, can't this whole lifespan-draining wish just be counter-acted with a wish for immortality / eternal life?

ALSO, if I was a God of Destruction, I would just target all the Namekians first because seriously, they are far too dangerous to keep existing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

dipwood posted:

Super Sonic is a pretty clear reference to Super Saiyan. Shadow is Vegeta. Silver is Trunks. Oddly enough, Blaze did come before Mai, who seems to fill a similar role.

Also, can't this whole lifespan-draining wish just be counter-acted with a wish for immortality / eternal life?

ALSO, if I was a God of Destruction, I would just target all the Namekians first because seriously, they are far too dangerous to keep existing.

Actually Mai has been around since the original Dragon Ball (though it wasn’t until Super that they actually did something significant with the character aside from her being one of Pilaf’s minions).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 22, 2021

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

dipwood posted:

Tails is both Krillin (childhood friend) and Bulma (talented inventor) and Knuckles is Piccolo (early enemy/rival, now friend. Lives alone. One of the only one of their kind on the planet. Overshadowed by Shadow/Vegeta)

Oh, and Blaze is both Mai in Super and Adult Gohan in the original timeline (mentor figure, dies)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

dipwood posted:

Don't be ridiculous, you'd have to track down 2 whole balls and wait a whole month... maybe... and who has time for that? That's valuable time that you could be using hunting Saiyans and/or being evil!

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 23, 2021

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Maybe this dragon would take away your strength in exchange for a life-extending wish.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Gruckles posted:

Maybe this dragon would take away your strength in exchange for a life-extending wish.

I get this itch that this could be how it'll play out. Goku's roster of bros must grow.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Live forever, but don't have the strength to get up from bed

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Live forever, but with an itch you can never scratch.
(And I mean that literally)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The weakness is gonna be that he's weak to his own weapons, Bardock beat him with his own toys.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Azubah posted:

The weakness is gonna be that he's weak to his own weapons, Bardock beat him with his own toys.

Of course, as a great scientist would.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
nah his weakness is gonna be something dumb and unrelated with strength, like how the robot race cry when they get bullied

my bet is he's gonna be like those aliens from rick and morty that were uncomfortable with nudity

Bardock won by flashing Gas

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

nah his weakness is gonna be something dumb and unrelated with strength, like how the robot race cry when they get bullied

my bet is he's gonna be like those aliens from rick and morty that were uncomfortable with nudity

Bardock won by flashing Gas

Gaslighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bardock beefed Gas, beaten by rear end