Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Infinity Gaia posted:

I wonder how the devs feel about the incredibly robust modding community Terraria ended up getting. I somehow doubt they ever expected stuff like Calamity to be made using their game as a base, let alone that absolutely insane in dev one, Starlight River.

Especially since the first in game supported modding tools were just released a few months ago using the Steam workshop, and they barely let you change anything.
The fact that TModLoader exists(well, sorta) is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Wow can't believe that bunny infected her like that, kinda hosed up.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

That Guy Bob posted:

Wow can't believe that bunny infected her like that, kinda hosed up.

It comes with text that she was bitten by a fox. I think that is (was?) her pet bunny.

Though since it was a blood moon. The bunny might have been the one to trash the whole house.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Well poo poo, they released a giant update to Calamity. Figures they'd do it halfway through my first playthrough!

The release notes are just a tad long...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

bij posted:

Well poo poo, they released a giant update to Calamity. Figures they'd do it halfway through my first playthrough!

The release notes are just a tad long...

Sweet sweating scribes, Batman, that has to be the longest patch notes document I have ever seen.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 18, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I guess Calamity got tired of waiting for tmodloader to update.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What IS the current state of tmodloader for the new version anyway?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

What IS the current state of tmodloader for the new version anyway?

There's an alpha build out for mod developers who want to start porting up but don't mind dealing with a moving target.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/an-eye-for-an-eye-terraria-x-dont-starve-together-crossover-update-launches-today.109181/

Seems like a fairly substantial update, including a pet that acts as a piggy bank, new cosmetics and weapons, a new secret seed (The Constant) and finally adding a boss to the ice biome.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

that looks sick but a pet that has gameplay functionality is an internal rule i wish they wouldn’t break

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The box has been opened, too late-- I demand more unique pets with cool functions!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

not using cool pets because others have better gameplay effects is lame

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just make it go in the light pet slot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

not using cool pets because others have better gameplay effects is lame

using pets at all already has negative gameplay effects.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

watho posted:

that looks sick but a pet that has gameplay functionality is an internal rule i wish they wouldn’t break

You can carry so much extra storage on-hand now I don't think continuing to sacrifice one slot for your money trough will really affect much.

Also, clicking the pet in the middle of combat by accident...

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

MR. J posted:

You can carry so much extra storage on-hand now I don't think continuing to sacrifice one slot for your money trough will really affect much.

Also, clicking the pet in the middle of combat by accident...

there is a pet equipment slot i don’t really understand what you’re saying here?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Quoted post is complaining that giving a pet a (minor) gameplay convenience advantage will make that pet the only one worth equipping.

I'm saying they're overstating the impact. At least, I know I wont be switching away from my dumbo fox.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 19, 2021

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
It's usually in good taste for a developer to make the optimal strategy for a given game as enjoyable as possible. If part of the enjoyment of Terraria is the variety of pets, then it's a little sucky to make one pet "the best". They've already solved this problem in the past though. For example, the game maintains armor variety through vanity slots, so it seems like an easy fix to just put a pet vanity slot. (is there already one? I haven't played in a while so I don't remember)

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The pet slot *is* a vanity slot. Or at least it was. Hence the discussion. I agree it's not much of an impact but adding any stats or gameplay effect to a vanity slot is not a good idea IMO.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Storage is already nearly unlimited in Terraria. With the safe, piggy bank, and the void bag, you have a ton of storage. And I'd rather not use the new pet because imagine accidentally clicking on it while fighting.
So it really doesn't change much.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Peachfart posted:

Storage is already nearly unlimited in Terraria. With the safe, piggy bank, and the void bag, you have a ton of storage. And I'd rather not use the new pet because imagine accidentally clicking on it while fighting.
So it really doesn't change much.
Also the storage thing you get from the Dungeon Defenders event.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The new pet isn't separate storage. It's just a money trough that moves.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How the hell do you use the 64 bit tmodloader with the steam tmodloader? It says "Terraria Content folder not found." despite having terraria installed and launchign the 32 bit through steam fine.

I wanted to try the new calamity update.

EDIT: they needed to be on the same drive

Zereth fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 20, 2021

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A friend and I have been trying out the new secret seed and while the hunger and darkness mechanics are kinda neat, the lighting filter is terrible. It just makes the whole game look like it's a product of the "brown is realistic" era of game design.

I ended up switching to the "Retro" lighting, there's no way I'm gonna spend a double digit amount of hours looking at Terraria's wonderfully vibrant world through a coffee filter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The sepia filter looks fine with Don't Starve's deliberate old timey faded movie reel style aesthetic but yeah it's not great in Terraria.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I could use some assistance with pylon placement. I created a nice little Desert Duplex for the Arms Dealer and Nurse.

According to the NPC Happiness and Pylon guides, this should be sufficient to get the Arms Dealer to sell the pylon, but he does not.

Any suggestions?

edit: I did the math and I'm only getting a 12% price modifier from the Dealer.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 21, 2021

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I could use some assistance with pylon placement. I created a nice little Desert Duplex for the Arms Dealer and Nurse.

According to the NPC Happiness and Pylon guides, this should be sufficient to get the Arms Dealer to sell the pylon, but he does not.

Any suggestions?

edit: I did the math and I'm only getting a 12% price modifier from the Dealer.

Are the houses too far apart? I think it bases the distance on the space between the NPC banners.

I've had issues with this setup myself though.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Maybe you need a third person to be living there for it to count.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
This config worked well enough to get the Dye Trader to sell it.

I still can't figure out what the Arms Dealer wants, but it doesn't matter anymore!

Edit: The final desert outpost

Despite having it for over 5 years on both PC and mobile, this is my first time actually progressing in the game past the initial 3 metal farming! There is so much freaking content in this game!

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 21, 2021

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I spent a lot o... ok .. a little time making a cool house for the underground pylon, and the stupid thing was under the goddamn desert biome.... I had to make a lovely block house across from my hellhole to get one of the NPCs to sell the pylon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I remember fidgeting with pylons at first. Then hardmode undid most of my work and I just brought all the NPCs back into my house again.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Sometimes NPCs don't register as being close enough even if the houses look like they are, because NPC distance is determined by the NPC icon in each room. If the rooms are big enough, they might be considered too far apart because the icons are on opposite sides of the rooms.

This can be fixed by temporarily making the rooms smaller - build a wall (and door, if needed) to cut the room in half, and put the NPC in the room closest to their favorite NPC. If you then remove the temporary wall, the NPC icon should stay there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mad Dragon posted:

I spent a lot o... ok .. a little time making a cool house for the underground pylon, and the stupid thing was under the goddamn desert biome.... I had to make a lovely block house across from my hellhole to get one of the NPCs to sell the pylon.
Sometimes this "We did it to encourage creativity instead of boxes!... anyways make sure you follow this creatively bankrupt checklist or else'" design loops around to the opposite extreme too.

My sprawling spawn tower and branch hallways, I just put my NPCs spaced out in groups of three to avoid crowding penalty price gouging... Which turned out to make people happy enough to sell me the forest pylon :shepface:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i like the town system a lot in principle but man does it suck trying to keep a desert from becoming corrupted. poo poo spreads through sand like mold in bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

watho posted:

i like the town system a lot in principle but man does it suck trying to keep a desert from becoming corrupted. poo poo spreads through sand like mold in bread

Sometimes you just gotta throw explosives in a hole