Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4chan vtuber threads are wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ill never recover from the 4chan tier list that included "has had sex" and "has had intercourse (female)"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That second one has to be a joke about nearly everyone being able to do a Marine imitation that's at least 90-92% similar. I can't imagine it being anything else.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Endorph posted:

4chan vtuber threads are wild

that is one way to put it i guess

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

That second one has to be a joke about nearly everyone being able to do a Marine imitation that's at least 90-92% similar. I can't imagine it being anything else.

i don't think they do 'jokes' over there

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FpcO7y4eKw

Ahh Rushia :allears:

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
mandela effect tubers

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

Iirc Marine has hurt her voice a few times and had other vtubers do her speaking for her.

But it's like something they were completely open about, not any attempt to trick the community.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Is there such a thing as good fanfiction? What makes a good fanfiction vs a bad one, other than a good one having the characters stay in character?

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 22, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes

also what makes any writing good

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Is there such a thing as good fanfiction? What makes a good fanfiction vs a bad one, other than a good one having the characters stay in character?

IMHO The Witcher 3 is just high quality fan fiction and pretty good if we’re just talking media in general.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I read mostly fanfiction these days and the answer is

dogsicle posted:

yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

frankly the characters being in character matters less than the writing actually being interesting. better to fudge characterization a bit to lead to more interesting situations than stick rigidly to canon. if i wanted canon id go reread the canon material!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

dogsicle posted:

yes

I don't know, it just feels like if I have an idea for a fanfiction because I was sad with the fate of some characters, and I want to save them in the fic, it would be a bad idea because it would be disrespecting the creators. I know SRW does this, but that's an officially licensed product.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I don't know, it just feels like if I have an idea for a fanfiction because I was sad with the fate of some characters, and I want to save them in the fic, it would be a bad idea because it would be disrespecting the creators
any fan material is 'disrespecting the creators' by this logic, toriyama never wanted vegeta and goku to make out but you sure can find that if you want to

and i dont think the creators are gonna read your fanfic so what's it matter?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not to mention if you're asking here you're probably asking about a japanese series and japan has such a thriving doujinshi space and a market for secondary, fanmade material in general that i really doubt any japanese creator would be stunned and appalled by the concept of a fanfic where a character who died is actually alive

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

any fan material is 'disrespecting the creators' by this logic, toriyama never wanted vegeta and goku to make out but you sure can find that if you want to

and i dont think the creators are gonna read your fanfic so what's it matter?

Well, when ZLS S2 was airing, and they hinted that the girls zombification had a limit I was thinking about writing a fic that saved them from it, but people on the board told me to let them go. It just made me think I was obsessing over the series too much

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

the concept of a fanfic where a character who died is actually alive

Aka the entire Super Robot Wars series.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Willo567 posted:

it would be disrespecting the creators.

lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:wtc:
if you want to write a fanfic write one, who cares

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Well, when ZLS S2 was airing, and they hinted that the girls zombification had a limit I was thinking about writing a fic that saved them from it, but people on the board told me to let them go. It just made me think I was obsessing over the series too much
no i

I don't think people were telling you not to write a fanfic. Write one if you want to. They were telling you not to get too hung up on a theoretical plot point that the series itself will probably find a way out of or come to a resolution with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Aka the entire Super Robot Wars series.
This one is actually kind of interesting because there are a few cases where the creators asked the SRW guys not to make a secret to save a character. The big one is that the SRW devs were told not to add a way to save Kamina.

Of course, asking people making an actual licensed product that hundreds of thousands of people will play not to do something is different from a fanfic that a couple hundred people tops will read and which has no official endorsement.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dont fall for it theyre trying to trick you into committing fan crimes. its entrapment, quite frankly

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I respect canon, and creators.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
gonna write a fanfic then change all the names to become a best-selling author

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blank Construct posted:

mandela effect tubers

Mandela Catalogue tubers

Pekora but with a hosed up VHS face

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The danger of fanfic is that you might accidentally create the next 50 Shades of Gray.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
You don't make a 50 Shades of Grey without pushing your fanfic all over the fandom space and having gigantic slapfights in the comment section

50 Shades was notorious because of its author, not really the fanfic itself

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Willo567 posted:

I don't know, it just feels like if I have an idea for a fanfiction because I was sad with the fate of some characters, and I want to save them in the fic, it would be a bad idea because it would be disrespecting the creators. I know SRW does this, but that's an officially licensed product.

the author is dead

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

says right here akira toriyama is still alive, nice try though

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
the secret to good fanfic is: how many ways can you think of to have two characters cooking together that leads to one of them surprise kissing the other

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Gonna have to sit in front of a fanfic tribunal. If it doesn't fit canon we'll have to execute you, sorry.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Cephas posted:

the secret to good fanfic is: how many ways can you think of to have two characters cooking together that leads to one of them surprise kissing the other

:hmmyes:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mirage posted:

The danger of fanfic is that you might accidentally create the next 50 Shades of Gray.
Or the entire isekai genre

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mirage posted:

The danger is that you might accidentally become super rich?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cons: everyone knows your fetish
Pros: you’re rich enough that you don’t have to be embarrassed

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

El Burbo posted:

The danger is that you might accidentally become super rich?

Maybe they meant "accidentally get your work plagiarized by a horrible person who becomes super rich"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

This one is actually kind of interesting because there are a few cases where the creators asked the SRW guys not to make a secret to save a character. The big one is that the SRW devs were told not to add a way to save Kamina.

Of course, asking people making an actual licensed product that hundreds of thousands of people will play not to do something is different from a fanfic that a couple hundred people tops will read and which has no official endorsement.

Didn't they also tell the developers that they couldn't add a way to save Kittan?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Willo567 posted:

it would be a bad idea because it would be disrespecting the creators.
Fanfics and alternate timelines of ASOIAF/GOT are made all the time and yet the world is better off for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
there are 228 zls fics on ao3, maybe just try reading one first