Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean I tried to concede the valid points, and there's definitely more room for discussion.

Yeah, I was being too sweeping there and tried to edit it, but you beat me to the punch. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Unsinkabear posted:

Yeah, I was being too sweeping there and tried to edit it, but you beat me to the punch. :ohdear:

Oh, good. As long as we're on the same page.
Yeah as dumb as this hobby is, turning the thread into a shouting match of "CLONES GOOD gently caress YOU" and "I'M BETTER THAN YOU BECAUSE I SPEND MORE ON PLASITC" really doesn't need to happen.
Both sides are assholes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Sorry for the double post but in all the hullabaloo I completely forgot to post this:

https://vala.supply/collections/current-groupbuys/products/mw-alfheim
MW Alfheim
Expected Q1 2022.
$89 base kit

40's can be had for like $60... $85 if you need spacebars like me.

I don't really get the inspiration behind it, but cheap set cute colors and quick turnaround with COMPREHENSIVE kitting looks good to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 18, 2021

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is vala supply a reliable vendor? I've been eyeing up that GMK Panda.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mariooncrack posted:

Is vala supply a reliable vendor? I've been eyeing up that GMK Panda.

I trust them MUCH more now that I know people who work there.
Previously I put them in the "Unknown but probably not evil" camp.

Since I can't seem to shut the gently caress up about kitting...
Here's an example of a not great (but not horrible) interest check.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115356.0

I wouldn't poo poo over this person's IC, but I also don't think it's very good. This is this person's first post and it shows in their lack of knowledge of Geekhack's expectations. Clearly they have more work to do and actually want feedback, which is what you would think an IC is for... but on Geekhack the bar has been raised somewhat from "please help me make this set" to "pre-group buy. last chance for any changes and requests."

From an outsider's perspective you'd think it's fine. They just posted their idea and want people to help them with it. However they've made a number of big mistakes with regards to GH etiquette: their kitting is incomplete, which would be forgivable if they had hinted at any of the child kits they planned to run, however this set appears to just be a base kit with alt alphas. They admitted that they're "still working on novelties" so it looks as though this person just lifted a standard GMK base kit and changed some colors. Yes, even within the sanctimonious realm of the most holy and elitist keyboard enthusiasts, plagiarism still happens.

There's no IC form to take feedback. Which is odd, but I guess they expect to take feedback directly in the thread? Oh wait no, they just haven't made their IC yet.

What's interesting is that they have some awareness of what needs to be done, and do list it out, but for some reason haven't done it yet?

In contrast, THIS is an amazing IC.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=115163.0

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Me, oh! what keyboard dropped! so many posts.

Reads what happened...

Here's the thing. I think Apiary sometimes gets more interaction because she calls people out quick. Sometimes I think it's a little overboard. That being said, it's also her work. It's what she does every day. The little details matter to her, a lot. she's made that very clear. I think there's a different discussion about copycats when it comes to profile styling though. I've considered and will end up buying clones of some of the keycap sets, only after the group runs are finished, because the clones come in my preferred profile, and GMMK is obsessed only with boring old Cherry.

If the original vendors makers made the keycaps in other profiles, I would of course give them money, even if we did have to wait a year.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Oof, that's a really nice keycap set. A couple years ago I was like 'ah, I've got me Godspeed VA68, surely I'm good on keycaps now' but drat, those novelties esp. are just great.

Also, interesting to hear about everything that goes into making keycaps from y'all, never would have thought about things manufacturer colors DNE rgb colors and whatnot.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Look what I just came across!

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I trust them MUCH more now that I know people who work there.
Previously I put them in the "Unknown but probably not evil" camp.

Can you share more about who runs vala supply? I am interested in some of their sets but same as you, in a niche hobby like this one I want to know the vendor's reliability before joining a group buy.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014
Hi nerds, I need some help. Basically the LEDs on my keyboard have been dying off one after another and when I looked it up online it seems to be recurring problem with the model, namely ducky shine 3. The thing is I like my keyboard and don't feel like I need to buy a new one when this one works perfectly fine besides the LEDs of course so I've decided to replace all the LEDs on it.

Now here's my problem I have never soldered anything in my life which I'll need to do replace the LEDs, thankfully I have access to my campus' electronics lab so I don't need to buy a soldering iron. I have gotten the right type of LEDs but I don't know which leg goes where(long leg = plus sign?).
Another problem I have is that I seemed to have cracked the plastic frame when I was disassembling it for cleaning, is there a place where I can buy a replacement because all the places I've looked at either have varmilo or kbbd and even then they're usually 60% or 65% instead of 100% like mine?

Tl;dr - LEDs dying on ducky shine 3 need help/tips on how to solder new LEDs. Frame cracked during cleaning, need replacement.

Thanks in advance!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Can't help with the rest, but for first time soldering advice, avoid cold soldered joints. I feel like that's the #1 rookie error. https://www.pcbastore.com/blogs/cold-solder-joint.html

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What's the root cause of the LEDs dying? While they may be replaceable, if you're not addressing the root cause of why they're failing, they'll just fail again.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i've never seen a ducky that didn't have dodgy LEDs. it's what put me off the brand for glowy bullshit

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

teethgrinder posted:

Can't help with the rest, but for first time soldering advice, avoid cold soldered joints. I feel like that's the #1 rookie error. https://www.pcbastore.com/blogs/cold-solder-joint.html

Thanks I'll check it out, btw how common is cold soldering when using lead free solder as that's the only thing that's allowed in the EU?

mariooncrack posted:

What's the root cause of the LEDs dying? While they may be replaceable, if you're not addressing the root cause of why they're failing, they'll just fail again.

It appears to be common problem with ducky shine 3 models since they were made with a bad batch of LEDs that die anywhere from a few months or a few years as it was in my case.

Deviant posted:

i've never seen a ducky that didn't have dodgy LEDs. it's what put me off the brand for glowy bullshit

That's a drat shame as they tend to have a good build quality otherwise and at the time of purchase were the only ones making backlit keyboards that weren't shoddy gaming keyboards.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Doc Neutral posted:

Thanks I'll check it out, btw how common is cold soldering when using lead free solder as that's the only thing that's allowed in the EU?

I think you'd want to make sure you use flux to help the solder flow if you are forced to use lead-free solder

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Got a bunch of Aqua King V3 62g switches delivered today, god drat these are smooth with no extra lubing

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

From all I can tell, cheap LEDs is one reason, another could be static discharge.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

~Coxy posted:

I'm seeing double! Four keyboards!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

~Coxy posted:

Yo dawg, I heard you like keyboards

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is there a place to get keycaps for like.. non cool keyboards? I've been tossing a logitech k380 raw into my backpack for a few weeks, and I lost the down arrow key. It'd be a shame to buy a whole new keyboard to replace the key, but also... it kidna sucks without the down arrow key.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

anothergod posted:

Is there a place to get keycaps for like.. non cool keyboards? I've been tossing a logitech k380 raw into my backpack for a few weeks, and I lost the down arrow key. It'd be a shame to buy a whole new keyboard to replace the key, but also... it kidna sucks without the down arrow key.

This place might work: https://www.replacementlaptopkeys.com/logitech-k380-keyboard-keys-replacement/

They might also steal all your credit card information, but hey it's worth a shot. I just donated my K380 the other day, otherwise I'd offer to send you it myself.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

mewse posted:

I think you'd want to make sure you use flux to help the solder flow if you are forced to use lead-free solder

I got one that's "no clean" and 305(3% silver, 0.5% copper), I've read that's the one you should go with if you want a good quality solder that's lead free and easy too work with. The brand is Almit if that makes any difference. Anyone got a good solder instruction manual, video or written guide on how to solder LED diodes?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

interrodactyl posted:

Can you share more about who runs vala supply? I am interested in some of their sets but same as you, in a niche hobby like this one I want to know the vendor's reliability before joining a group buy.

I mean I don't know the owner personally, so not really, no.
Their track record is that they've taken on a couple dozen group buys, but they're new so none of the keysets have delivered yet. Their in stock stuff is fine and arrives promptly though :shrug:
There's definitely other new vendors that have taken on a considerable amount more than them and delivered nothing so far. I'm looking at you Mechs and Co...

Now THIS is how you do a clone set ladies and gentlemen.
https://cannonkeys.com/products/nicepbt-british-racing-green

In stock NicePBT version of a recently run GMK set run in collaboration with the GMK set designer.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Can anyone recommend a keyboard that: (1) uses MX Silent Red (or black I guess) switches and (2) has keys that light up? Preferably tenkeyless, but I could live with full size.

I got a Varmilo VA87M, which I absolutely love except for the fact that the keys don't light up (there are lights under the keys, but they don't shine through the symbols on the keys, they just illuminate the underside of the keys, which does nothing for me).

The closest I could find is https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4284 but he silent keys switches have been out of stock on those for months.

If necessary, I'm willing to spend more than that on a good keyboard, especially it has programmable keys and whatnot. But I really need the silent switches and keys where the symbols light up.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 20, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Doc Neutral posted:

More common than otherwise but not a huge deal. Use however much flux you think is probably too much and then a little more. You'll need a hotter iron than for leaded as well, so be careful not to linger and torch anything.

Soldering is mostly about feel and knowing what a good connection looks like. Practice on a breadboard first.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I got a Varmilo VA87M, which I absolutely love except for the fact that the keys don't light up (there are lights under the keys, but they don't shine through the symbols on the keys, they just illuminate the underside of the keys, which does nothing for me).

The problem you have is south-facing LEDs and a lack of shine-through keycaps. You could get some shine-through keycaps with front side legends, that would fix the problem on your current board, but if you want top legends to light up, look for a board with north-facing LEDs.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Can anyone recommend a good source for high quality caps that would fit a Majestouch 2 cherry brown?

Quality and looks are tops but if there is a black friday sale option that would be interesting too.

I know almost nothing about keyboards so please talk to me like I’m a 5 year old…

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Taima posted:

Can anyone recommend a good source for high quality caps that would fit a Majestouch 2 cherry brown?

Quality and looks are tops but if there is a black friday sale option that would be interesting too.

I know almost nothing about keyboards so please talk to me like I’m a 5 year old…

The good news is, any set will fit your keeb.

The bad news is:
- there a lot of sets
- most sets are limited runs
- lead time is often months

There are 2 common materials used for key caps, ABS and PBT. The former can produce a little bit of “shine” after use, quality is great on either materials so it’s more a personal preference. Don’t worry about it really, just pick a set you like.

For starters it might be best to have a look at Drop.com and see if there’s a set you like. They probably have the most stock and variety readily available.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taima posted:

https://kbdfans.com/collections/keycaps has a very large selection in various styles. If you want caps similar to the ones that came with your Filco, look at "Cherry" or "OEM" profile ones. Another option is big thick old school style caps like these: https://kbdfans.com/collections/sa-profile/products/in-stockmaxkey-foundation-sa-keycaps-set

They're taller and more sculpted than OEM style keys, and they'll have a deeper sound.

Drop.com sells mostly a similar style called mt3, which I personally enjoy a lot, but they're also a bit pricey if you're just getting in to it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

LochNessMonster posted:

There are 2 common materials used for key caps, ABS and PBT. The former can produce a little bit of “shine” after use, quality is great on either materials so it’s more a personal preference. Don’t worry about it really, just pick a set you like.

Are the default filco caps ABS? That's actually why I was looking at replacing the keys, they got super shiny over time, as if covered in oil or something, but it doesn't go away when cleaned. Maybe that's just normal? It does look kinda cool, I guess, but people who come over probably think they look oily.

The caps still work fine after a decade though besides that. In fact the keyboard has been a total champion, works like the day I bought it 10 years ago, however I did kill an earlier Filco by pouring a margarita on it inadvertently... anyways...

Is the Majestouch 2 still an ok keyboard or is there better stuff out there? I know that's a super loaded question. I see there are things like metal chassis, but I don't know if that actually improves anything or just cool factor. That's where I am getting the most confused, a lot of keyboard stuff is super hobbyist, which is cool, but the line where something is functional versus purely for aesthetics is very blurry.

I'm abso-loving-lutely not going to solder by own keyboard lol but I am open to other poo poo or maybe even a new keyboard I Guess. One thing I keep noticing is that the keycaps are super expensive, so maybe there are ways to buy a better, newer keyboard with a set of high end caps and not pay too much more than a base cap set?

Gwaihir posted:

https://kbdfans.com/collections/keycaps has a very large selection in various styles. If you want caps similar to the ones that came with your Filco, look at "Cherry" or "OEM" profile ones. Another option is big thick old school style caps like these: https://kbdfans.com/collections/sa-profile/products/in-stockmaxkey-foundation-sa-keycaps-set

They're taller and more sculpted than OEM style keys, and they'll have a deeper sound.

Drop.com sells mostly a similar style called mt3, which I personally enjoy a lot, but they're also a bit pricey if you're just getting in to it.

Thanks!

the MT3 keys are cool, are they all the same besides styling? I might grab one, or I also see that kdbfans is doing a black friday sale, so maybe I'll wait for that.

Money is no object I just want to get the best and not feel buyer's remorse later so if there's some objectively best keycaps I would probably just get that...

This MT3 looks pretty cool:

https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-3277-custom-keycap-set

I really like the Japanese keycap set but it's sold out :pressf:

Random additional question: back when I bought my Majestouch 2 (almost exactly 10 years ago) topre keyboards were cool, is that... uh.. still cool? Or... they were stupid loving expensive and I didn't really understand how they were better, but I'm open to it, I guess.

I'm completely open to spending a lot on a keyboard, if there's anything just completely out there, super expensive but super good I'm open to looking at it.

Thread friends, show me the exact keyboard you would get that is, say $200-$500 for example, or maybe higher if you can convince me it's worth it

Super bonus question: is bluetooth just as good as a wired keyboard? Should I be angling for one?

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 22, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taima posted:

Are the default filco caps ABS? That's actually why I was looking at replacing the keys, they got super shiny over time, as if covered in oil or something, but it doesn't go away when cleaned. Maybe that's just normal? It does look kinda cool, I guess, but people who come over probably think they look oily.

The caps still work fine after a decade though besides that. In fact the keyboard has been a total champion, works like the day I bought it 10 years ago, however I did kill an earlier Filco by pouring a margarita on it inadvertently... anyways...

Is the Majestouch 2 still an ok keyboard or is there better stuff out there? I know that's a super loaded question. I see there are things like metal chassis, but I don't know if that actually improves anything or just cool factor. That's where I am getting the most confused, a lot of keyboard stuff is super hobbyist, which is cool, but the line where something is functional versus purely for aesthetics is very blurry.

I'm abso-loving-lutely not going to solder by own keyboard lol but I am open to other poo poo or maybe even a new keyboard I Guess. One thing I keep noticing is that the keycaps are super expensive, so maybe there are ways to buy a better, newer keyboard with a set of high end caps and not pay too much more than a base cap set?

Thanks!

the MT3 keys are cool, are they all the same besides styling? I might grab one, or I also see that kdbfans is doing a black friday sale, so maybe I'll wait for that.

Money is no object I just want to get the best and not feel buyer's remorse later so if there's some objectively best keycaps I would probably just get that...

This MT3 looks pretty cool:

https://drop.com/buy/drop-matt3o-mt3-3277-custom-keycap-set

Random additional question: back when I bought my Majestouch 2 (almost exactly 10 years ago) topre keyboards were cool, is that... uh.. still cool? Or... they were stupid loving expensive and I didn't really understand how they were better, but I'm open to it, I guess.

I'm completely open to spending a lot on a keyboard, if there's anything just completely out there, super expensive but super good I'm open to looking at it.

Thread friends, show me the exact keyboard you would get that is, say $200-$500 for example, or maybe higher if you can convince me it's worth it

Super bonus question: is bluetooth just as good as a wired keyboard? Should I be angling for one?

The super shiny effect is definitely a byproduct of ABS keys. That's just a normal thing that happens to them over time, yeah. Filco is definitely a quality brand, but in general the keyboard nerd space has moved towards smaller and weirder form factor keyboards along with options for modularity in swapping switches out. There's an endless well of silly things to look in to, but almost everything is a matter of aesthetics. Looks, sounds, weight, etc. The only thing really relevant functionality wise is different flavors of rgb, modularity, and programmability.

In general the hobby aspect means most bits and pieces are all separate purchases. No one is really going to sell something combining the most fancy keycaps + switches + chassis, because the people interested in those things in the first place are all the type that want to mix and match as much as they can to end up with something as much of a unique snowflake board as possible.

Topre is still the only brand that does their ~thing~, but I think most people don't really like their style too much. I have a Topre TypeHeaven board, and it's ok, but I'd not use it for gaming or really much of anything aside from a good board in an office that combines feel with dampened sound without needing any mods. But, well, lol at being in an office these days.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Been putting caps through the dishwasher lately (with a laundry bag) and drat it's been amazing. The best were the white caps on the K-Type. I had a weird thing happen with them where my hand got mangled in a dooring incident, and it seems like the fibre from the cast I was wearing imparted onto the PBT caps. I had hand scrubbed them before, but they quickly became dirty again (it was also weird that it was also only the keys I touched with my broken hand in the cast that got dirty.) They seem immaculate after the dishwasher and have lasted a few weeks so far.

I also put some double-shot ABS and my Race3 dye-sub PBT caps through, and they all came out nicely, though the ABS caps still have that shine. Oh well.

Huge fan of the dishwasher though!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 23, 2021

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

teethgrinder posted:

Been putting caps through the dishwasher lately (with a laundry bag) and drat it's been amazing. The best were the white caps on the K-Type. I had a weird thing happen with them where my hand got mangled in a dooring incident, and it seems like the fibre from the cast I was wearing imparted onto the PBT caps. I had hand scrubbed them before, but they quickly became dirty again (it was also weird that it was also only the keys I touched with my broken hand in the cast that got dirty.) They seem immaculate after the dishwasher and have lasted a few weeks so far.

I also put some double-shot ABS and my Race3 dye-sub PBT caps through, and they all came out nicely, though the ABS caps still have that shine. Oh well.

Huge fan of the dishwasher though!

The shine is a result of physically wearing down the texture on the plastic, not a finger oil thing, so that's why it won't change in a wash. You can retexture the caps with something like this: https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?t=12946

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Taima posted:

If you're talking about the Red Samurai set PM me when you settle on a keyboard, I ended up with a complete extra TKL set that I'd be happy to put in your hands if it works for your board.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

the mat for the lugoo deer caps i ordered from drop showed up, early in fact.

this is certainly no guarantee that the caps will ever make it here but it's a kick in the rear end to get a build going.

KBDFans has a nice 60% wood case but i don't see an option for a num pad. anyone know a wood case or kit with a separate wood numpad box??

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Been looking around for a mechanical keyboard in the $50 range with a little wiggle room, and it seems that Keychron C1 is pretty well liked? Worth it to get a hot-swappable version to potentially try other switches on the C1 or no? Not deep into mechanical keyboards, just lookin for something pretty good for typing on and not for gaming.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Are there any cheap cherry profile keycaps? I'm looking for something functional - I can get any number of OEM sets for £10 but the Cherries are all clones costing >£30

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Are there any cheap cherry profile keycaps? I'm looking for something functional - I can get any number of OEM sets for £10 but the Cherries are all clones costing >£30

Not really going to get lower than that from what I've seen, maybe Aliexpress?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

Been looking around for a mechanical keyboard in the $50 range with a little wiggle room, and it seems that Keychron C1 is pretty well liked? Worth it to get a hot-swappable version to potentially try other switches on the C1 or no? Not deep into mechanical keyboards, just lookin for something pretty good for typing on and not for gaming.

My K6 has been working pretty well. RTings has a review on the C1 here: https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/reviews/keychron/c1

The K6 got similar remarks, and I’d agree with them on wanting a wrist rest for the board, especially if you’re planning on using it for work. But otherwise it’s been kind of a hoot to type on, and switching (via Bluetooth) between my MacBook Pro for work and PC for everything else has not been too troublesome.

As for solder-less or not, it depends on whether or not you think you might want to swap switches. It’s not entirely frivolous, especially if you think you might want to experiment. I went with a soldered version, but I don’t really plan on switching them often. I’ve also got a soldering iron and don’t mind a little extra work here and there. At least I say that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Hey guys, remember this beautiful monstrosity?

So, uh, where could one go to acquire a keycap set for that thing without breaking the bank?