Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Homeless Friend posted:

the whole corn+crab moves uniformly op.

:thunk:

well if it's fake i feel a little better now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

drat this is real af

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it's insanely windy today, and somehow this got past my spam filter lol

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I was just reading an article about beavers living on the coast in WA and OR and it reminded me of an old rear end in a top hat I used to work with who was incredibly mad that a beaver had been spotted on his property just south of seattle and it meant that he wouldnt be able to do what he wanted with his property. Which btw was nothing, but he was so mad at the principle of having the state tell him he had to protect an endangered animals habitat.

in conclusion, gently caress da boomers.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

can humans induce volcanic eruptions? my future is curious

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Journey to the Center of the Earth (from yellowstone)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Tungsten posted:

the one thing i remember from that novel is the medical tourist getting the oxygenated lung enema in mexico

Probably didn't hold your attention I'd guess since that was in the first few pages. It was from that part that this passage kind of stuck with me 16 years ago:

quote:

... And some English language happy talk news. Spanish happy talk news. Japanese happy talk news. Alex, born in 2010, had watched the news grow steadily more glossy and cheerful for all of his 21 years. As a mere tot, he'd witnessed hundreds of hours of raw bloodstained footage: plagues, mass death, desperate riot, ghastly military wreckage, all against a panicky backdrop of ominous and unrelenting environmental decline. All that stuff was still out there, just as every aspect of modern reality had its mirrored shadow in the Net somewhere, but nowadays you had to hunt hard to find it, and the people discussing it didn't seem to have much in the way of budgets. Somewhere along the line the entire global village had slipped into neurotic denial.

Today, as an adult, Alex found the glass pipelines of the Net chockablock with jet-set glamour weddings and cute dog stories. Perky heroines and square-jawed heroes were still, somehow, getting rich quick. Starlets won lotteries and lottery winners became starlets. Little children, with their heads sealed in virtuality helmets, mimed delighted surprise as they waved their tiny gloved hands at enormous hallucinations. Alex had never been that big a fan of current events anyway, but he had now come to feel that the world's cheerful shiny-toothed bullshitters were the primary source of all true evil.

Seemed really prescient in '95.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

gay_crimes posted:

can humans induce volcanic eruptions? my future is curious

i recall the consensus was no, but we could give it a good try

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jel Shaker posted:

Praying we get a president crazy enough to launch a bunker buster bomb into yellowstone caldera.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

petit choux posted:

Probably didn't hold your attention I'd guess since that was in the first few pages. It was from that part that this passage kind of stuck with me 16 years ago:

Seemed really prescient in '95.

drat, yeah, I'd probably get more out of it now. 13 year old me had read way too much Asimov and Clarke and believed that Bill Clinton and his enlightened technocrats were working in our interest.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" I insist as I calmly enjoy a succulent corn cob

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
my crab is sick

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

scary ghost dog posted:

there is far more to this world than we are capable of perceiving. we are all still in the cave, looking at shadows on the wall

Maps. We need maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iNxZ8Dww

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

silicone thrills posted:

Praying we get a president crazy enough to launch a bunker buster bomb into yellowstone caldera.

It'd take a lot of them, the top of the chamber is ~8km below ground level and supposedly isn't under pressure at the moment. I think the Long Valley and Valles Calderas are more "primed" than Yellowstone.

Sundown Forum
Nov 12, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just start fracking the entire park and see what happens

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Raine posted:

i cant tell if youre joking or if i cant spot fakes because im now apparently old

Look at the edges around the corncob as it wiggles around. You can see the artifacting and the lack of ripples in the soup.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Also fairly sure that a crab would not chill out and calmly eat corn if it was being boiled alive

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

WampaLord posted:

Also fairly sure that a crab would not chill out and calmly eat corn if it was being boiled alive

maybe the crab is a bodhisattva

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
crab is ok :)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qB2cHz5cPqo

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

:blessed:

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

IAMKOREA posted:

Yes, I am talking about absorption refrigeration. I had to Google Norcold but they seem to be absorption refrigerators. I'm curious about it because my father in law has about 64 m2 of thermal collectors he uses to heat the house in the winter but they don't do much during the summer. I was thinking that they could be used for refrigeration. If you guys have solar thermal collectors you might also be able to use the summer excess for refrigeration. I don't see why you couldn't add one to your existing system, it's just a matter of plumbing the hot side up to the refrigerators heat exchanger.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Apparently we mention ammonia-based refrigeration in our founding documents, so I'll ask around as to why that hasn't been follow up on. That use case makes perfect sense to me.

IAMKOREA posted:

It's very interesting you are growing grains. Are you willing to discuss yields and financials? I'd love to grow grains for a living ecologically but with how the European ag subsidy system is set up at the moment it seems completely impossible.
I'll start by saying that the grain (with the exception of corn) is primarily for on-site consumption. Our primary source of income is growing heirloom seeds on contract for an organic seed company. Note that the company also sells winter wheat, buckwheat etc., but I don't think we generally only grow corn for sale. There is a big run on quite a variety of seeds due to Covid, so I understand that there's big demand for additional organic growers (and we are able to sell most seed that we've produced beyond the contracted maximum to other growers). This is not an extremely lucrative business, but we have correspondingly minimal expenses. This is minimally supplemented with farmers markets for certain veg or preserves.
Beyond grain not being an income source, I should note that wholesale organic growing appears to be a tough market to get into, at least as it operates with our seed catalog: most categories of seeds (eg., squash, tomatoes, melons, etc.) are paid at the same per-pound price, without consideration for average yield; if you have never grown any of the varieties, it can be a crapshoot (beyond the typical vagaries of weather) as to how much you need to plant, how much you can expect to harvest, etc. After a decade here, folks have gotten a sense of which varieties are easier to grow and have high yields, but I understand that it was a struggle to thread that needle at the start.
I can certainly share some hard numbers (or at least recent ballpark figures) on our recent wheat crops, including inputs, labor time, etc. if that's still of interest to you. It may be a week or so, as most folks are out of town for US Thanksgiving.

Edit: also, on plastics talk:

:smith:

take_it_slow has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Nov 22, 2021

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

take_it_slow posted:

nature is healing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

take_it_slow posted:

Someone had to pay for that plastic bag and bird got it for free

Good deal for bird

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

Someone had to pay for that plastic bag and bird got it for free

Good deal for bird

Don't worry for the owner, retribution for theft like that is automatically subcontracted to lumber companies who are all too happy to administrate punitive damages and interest.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

humanity needs volcano laxatives to continue this unsustainable suck and gently caress fest

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

this quote was in a weekly newsletter i received today and i can't stop chuckling

:hmmyes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPwObTAjIys

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

flossin and brushin and lolin at how oral hygiene is just abrading your mouth with plastic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

flossin and brushin and lolin at how oral hygiene is just abrading your mouth with plastic

lol

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/01/09/oral-b-glide-floss-toxic-pfas-chemicals-study/2530661002/ posted:

Oral-B Glide floss tied to potentially toxic PFAS chemicals, study suggests
Using Oral-B Glide dental floss might be associated with higher levels of toxic PFAS chemicals in your body, according to a new peer-reviewed study of consumer behaviors potentially linked to the substances.

PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are potentially harmful chemicals often used for their water and grease resistance.

The study, which aimed to explain how these chemicals enter the human body, was published Tuesday in the Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology and comes from the Silent Spring Institute in Newton, Massachusetts, and Public Health Institute in Berkeley, California.

Researchers found higher levels of PFHxS (perfluorohexanesulfonic acid), a PFAS, in women who flossed with Oral-B Glide compared to those who didn't.

Using Oral-B Glide dental floss may be associated with higher levels of toxic PFAS chemicals in your body, according to a new peer-reviewed study.
"This is the first study to show that using dental floss containing PFAS is associated with a higher body burden of these toxic chemicals," lead author Katie Boronow, a scientist at Silent Spring, said in a statement.

In a statement to USA TODAY on Thursday, Oral-B said it didn't find any of the substances in the study in its floss. "The safety of the people who use our products is our top priority. Our dental floss undergoes thorough safety testing and we stand behind the safety of all our products," the company said.

Among the other behaviors in the study that were associated with higher PFAS levels: Having stain-resistant carpet or furniture and living in a city with drinking water contaminated by a PFAS.

More:Look out for these 5 potentially dangerous food chemicals when feeding your kids

Researchers also found that African-American women who ate food from coated cardboard containers had higher PFAS levels for four of the chemicals studied compared to those who didn't.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "there is evidence that exposure to PFAS can lead to adverse human health effects."

Floss, other hygiene products, nonstick cookware, fast food wrappers and microwave popcorn bags are among the various products the Centers for Disease Control lists as potentially containing PFAS.

Exposure to certain PFAS chemicals, like perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) and perfluorooctanesulfonic acid (PFOS), has ties to cancer, ulcerative colitis in adults and thyroid disease in children, among other health problems, researchers said.

More:These baby foods and formulas tested positive for arsenic, lead and BPA in new study

According to the EPA, PFAS chemicals have been used in products in the United States since the 1940s. The agency also says the chemicals accumulate in the body over time.

"As a result, as people get exposed to PFAS from different sources over time, the level of PFAS in their bodies may increase to the point where they suffer from adverse health effects," the EPA website states.

The study consisted of 178 middle-aged women, about half of who are African-American, from the Public Health Institute's Child Health and Development Studies, which looks at multigenerational impacts of environmental chemicals and other factors on disease.

Researchers measured levels of PFAS in the women's blood and later interviewed them about certain behaviors that might lead to exposure — like eating food from coated cardboard containers and nonstick cookware or having stain-resistant carpet and furniture.

More: Many couches contain potentially toxic flame retardants

Oral-B Glide flosses were among the 18 floss products studied. Scientists said they tested the various products for fluorine, an indicator of the PFAS polytetrafluoroethylene, or PTFE. Six of the products had fluorine, including the Oral-B Glide products and others marked with "compare to Oral-B Glide."

"The good news is, based on our findings, consumers can choose flosses that don't contain PFAS," Boronow said.

In an earlier statement to USA TODAY, Velvet Gogol Bennett, a spokesperson for Procter & Gamble, emphasized that the study focused on a variety of behaviors and products, not just flossing, and that their use by the women was self-reported. Procter & Gamble is Oral-B's parent company.

Follow USA TODAY's Ryan Miller on Twitter @RyanW_Miller.

lmao

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
What I can't believe is that with all these so-called scientists working at the Colgate Institute, they can't invent a mouthwash that does everything that brushing or flossing does and more. How many more is mankind going to be enslaved to sticking a gross brush into our mouths for? And don't pretend it's not gross. You're not disinfecting that thing after every use.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Islam is the answer, as always.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Yeah, same.

Patiently waiting for the end of all things over here. Wishing the best for everyone, but also hoping it's quick.

It won't be, but it doesn't hurt to hope nonetheless.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Huh, I bet some of the hippie shops up here would stock that.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
brushing my teeth with a stick, rubbing rocks on my pits like a wizard, 420 smoking herbs with midgets and watching the end of Things

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol some moron is trolling the succ thread stupid hard rn and just posted this and whew. Guess we are all just gonna die

Noob Saibot posted:

ok fine have fun in the permanent dystopian hellscape the republicans have planned for you

Democrats are the only shot we have at keeping this planet hospitable to humans just remember that

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

silicone thrills posted:

Lol some moron is trolling the succ thread stupid hard rn and just posted this and whew. Guess we are all just gonna die

Hey when the earth gets sick, Democrats make it feel better.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

T-Paine posted:

Hey when the earth gets sick, Democrats make it feel better.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
the great blue hope

lol

lmao

e:
:rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the great hope dope made the earth go nope