Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I’ve probably wasted an entire dollar over the years by just not giving a gently caress about the last drop in the container.

Well la dee da! Check out Daddy Warbucks over here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also just get the sinus rinse cans they're loving sterile.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Do they have anything like those cans of compressed air that blast drains clear?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
poo poo I just learned: The Battle of Trinidade in 1914 was a pitched duel off a tiny island in the South Atlantic, between two ocean liners that had been requisitioned and converted into "war"ships by bolting guns to them: The English RMS Carmania, and the German Cap Trafalgar, which had been recently repainted to look like the RMS Carmania!

The Wikipedia article was very vocal about clarifying that the RMS Carmania had not also been repainted to look like the Cap Trafalgar.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sandi Toksvig (of QI etc), her dad was a danish news presenter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYa3aBZFfzQ&t=48s

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I missed vast swathes of primary school maths. Some of the stuff I'd missed I've taught myself over the years as it became relevant, but other stuff remains a mystery.
Today it occurred to me very suddenly that a fraction is just a representation of the equation that created it. 2/3 is 2 divided by 3 (2 over 3), etc.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I had a similar math thing

I was doing binomial expansion and I was taught using the traditional western way "eyebrows" or "smiles"

Then it was pointed out to me how multiplication tables can function with regards to factors and I learnt/self taught/understood using a two way table to solve binomials

Genuinely makes more sense to me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jestery posted:

I had a similar math thing

I was doing binomial expansion and I was taught using the traditional western way "eyebrows" or "smiles"

Then it was pointed out to me how multiplication tables can function with regards to factors and I learnt/self taught/understood using a two way table to solve binomials

Genuinely makes more sense to me

I get it the traditional way, but I think that matrix would be a little more intuitive in its way.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I wasn't taught exactly either of those ways. We were just told to multiply both halves by both other halves. Having any sort of visual representation (eyebrows and smiles, or a matrix) would've been massively helpful to me.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lady Disdain posted:

I missed vast swathes of primary school maths. Some of the stuff I'd missed I've taught myself over the years as it became relevant, but other stuff remains a mystery.
Today it occurred to me very suddenly that a fraction is just a representation of the equation that created it. 2/3 is 2 divided by 3 (2 over 3), etc.

Kinda the other way around but realising that the division symbol is just a lil fraction was :aaaaa:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Lady Disdain posted:

If you do that equation to a decimal .66 repeating..
You can use it for adding many construction measurements together as well.

Adding several 2 foot 6 inches and 7/8 for example you can decimalize them then convert back at the end.

I mean fractions are easy for me, but I'd rather just do it once at the end if I was adding several measurements together.

Quaint Quail Quilt has a new favorite as of 23:33 on Nov 21, 2021

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

If you do that equation to a decimal .66 repeating..
You can use it for adding many construction measurements together as well.

Adding several 2 foot 6 inches and 7/8 for example you can decimalize them then convert back at the end.

I mean fractions are easy for me, but I'd rather just do it once at the end if I was adding several measurements together.

This makes me very grateful that I live in a country that uses decimal measurements.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I got halfway through university before I worked out that "=" means "the things on either side of this symbol are exactly the same, just written in different ways" and not "GET THE ANSWER! WHY AREN'T YOU GETTING THE ANSWER! YOU SUCK AT MATHS!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tree Bucket posted:

I got halfway through university before I worked out that "=" means "the things on either side of this symbol are exactly the same, just written in different ways" and not "GET THE ANSWER! WHY AREN'T YOU GETTING THE ANSWER! YOU SUCK AT MATHS!"

=D

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
As an ex-math teacher, the whole eyebrows/FOIL thing bothered me. These are really just repackaging plain old multiplication-by-hand that the kids already know. Really you can just pull in the idea of number bases, then you can take 23 * 56, write it as (2 * 10 + 3)(5 * 10 + 6), replace 10 with x to get (2 x +3)(5x + 6). Since you already know (I hope) how to multiply 23 by 56 by hand, you can do the same with binomials. Forgive the penmanship:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tad Naff posted:

As an ex-math teacher, the whole eyebrows/FOIL thing bothered me. These are really just repackaging plain old multiplication-by-hand that the kids already know. Really you can just pull in the idea of number bases, then you can take 23 * 56, write it as (2 * 10 + 3)(5 * 10 + 6), replace 10 with x to get (2 x +3)(5x + 6). Since you already know (I hope) how to multiply 23 by 56 by hand, you can do the same with binomials. Forgive the penmanship:

What is multiplication by hand cus I'm real loving bad at regular adding these days.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Tad Naff posted:

You mean the most efficient way isn’t (25*60) - (25*4) - (2*56)

e: ⬇️why the gently caress don’t we teach this⬇️

Dross has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Nov 22, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Speaking of multiplication by hand, I learnt the Arabic method and distinctly prefer it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jestery posted:

Speaking of multiplication by hand, I learnt the Arabic method and distinctly prefer it

Ok I get where the numbers in the triangles come from, but where do numbers in the answer squares come from?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

iajanus posted:

Ok I get where the numbers in the triangles come from, but where do numbers in the answer squares come from?

Imagine those diagonals as little slides that the numbers slide down to the bottom

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

iajanus posted:

Addition along the diagonal

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Where do the numbers in the triangles come from?

I may be stupid.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Multiply the top number by the side number to get the 2-digit number in the triangles, add the triangles together down the slope to get the number at the bottom.

Took me a minute to figure out as well.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Tree Bucket posted:

You're a talented art person though so you don't need* to know that. Or what XOR means or stuff from programming languages like == and != and the arcane mysteries of regular expressions.

Whatsername here just got confused about the /s tag for sarcasm. Should it precede a sarcastic post as in IRC protocol or suggest a closing tag?

Neither is correct.

Goal, job security by obfuscation. Flat out disinformation is not off the table.

*you can for a treat

/me scuttles away

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Memento posted:

Multiply the top number by the side number to get the 2-digit number in the triangles, add the triangles together down the slope to get the number at the bottom.

Took me a minute to figure out as well.

Oh my god. Thank you, how did I miss that?

Imagining these squares is gonna make me so good at the completely useless skill of weird mental math.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Imagine those diagonals as little slides that the numbers slide down to the bottom

:stare:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

What? It works!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Jestery posted:

I was taught this method, and drawing a grid takes a lot longer than just using the Western method. It might be good as a teaching method, but once you understand the concept, it just slows things down.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jestery posted:

That's great. I feel like I'm watching a magic trick.

Lady Disdain posted:

I was taught this method, and drawing a grid takes a lot longer than just using the Western method. It might be good as a teaching method, but once you understand the concept, it just slows things down.

Nothing can be slower than how I currently handle maths.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You're a talented art person though so you don't need* to know that. Or what XOR means or stuff from programming languages like == and != and the arcane mysteries of regular expressions.

The mere sight of == makes me feel really uneasy. Equals equals equals, right? I mean, that's what it does. It's equals. You can't have double equals.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Lady Disdain posted:

I don't disagree

But I can appreciate a system that scales well for 1 digit as it does for 5 digit. Really speaks to people doing math with a stick and sand

The western system works, but is awkward with adding that zero, and multiplying 3+ digit numbers makes it worse with adding that zero

I just find the working out easier to follow with the grid and I'm less likely to make a dumb mistake

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

That's great. I feel like I'm watching a magic trick.

Nothing can be slower than how I currently handle maths.

The mere sight of == makes me feel really uneasy. Equals equals equals, right? I mean, that's what it does. It's equals. You can't have double equals.

In lots of programming languages, a = 5 means "let a equal 5". a == 5 means "does a equal 5 or not, right now? true or false?"

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Fun fact

The equal sign = is one of the more recent mathematical symbols and we know it was invented by Robert Record in 1557

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Robert 'RR' Record, also known by his stage name DJ Radical Rob

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jestery posted:

This is pretty much the same as Japanese multiplication, just using a different template.

I have no idea why every example of Japanese multiplication thinks you have to draw all those lines, that's waaaaay to much loving effort.

I just do it like this:

(the blue lines are just there to show you how to add all the other numbers together)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think I missed logarithms the first time I was supposed to learn about them and now I still don't really get it even though I feel like I should have no problem with the concept. And I even enjoy math(s).

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Jestery posted:

I'm really liking this method, but I can't work out what you're supposed to do when the slides add up to more than a single digit. I thought that maybe the overflow simply moved to the next slide, but my attempt at working out 999*999 got me 992001, losing 6000 somewhere in the process

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Tree Bucket posted:

Maybe it’s like, super-equals. Like the =-symbol signifies things being equal, and the ==-symbol signifies things being really equal.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

liquidypoo posted:

I'm really liking this method, but I can't work out what you're supposed to do when the slides add up to more than a single digit. I thought that maybe the overflow simply moved to the next slide, but my attempt at working out 999*999 got me 992001, losing 6000 somewhere in the process

Nah, you just dropped a number or something. I was fascinated enough by the concept to try it out and I got 998001 by starting from the right and popping and digit in the tens column to the next group to the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nah, you just dropped a number or something. I was fascinated enough by the concept to try it out and I got 998001 by starting from the right and popping and digit in the tens column to the next group to the left.

Oh poo poo, there it is! Yeah, I'm not sure what or how I hosed up the first time, but it worked the second time. Slick.