Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I have zero interest in playing the moba, and Project L isn't coming out prolly until like 2025 lmao. Is Ruined King a good option if I want to ingest more of the lore? If so, I may pick it up on Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

teagone posted:

I have zero interest in playing the moba, and Project L isn't coming out prolly until like 2025 lmao. Is Ruined King a good option if I want to ingest more of the lore? If so, I may pick it up on Switch.

Yeah, it's a lot of fun. It doesn't take a beast of a PC to run or anything either.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

teagone posted:

It's an incredibly solid JRPG for $30, so it's a good pickup if that's your thing. The writing's obviously not Arcane, but it's otherwise totally competent high fantasy stuff with League's unique aesthetic twists and a distinctive main cast.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

drat this show is great, I wish I could play a game I like with its characters but even so they’ve killed this transition. I know people who know absolutely nothing about riot or lol watching this fervently.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

It's an incredibly solid JRPG for $30, so it's a good pickup if that's your thing. The writing's obviously not Arcane, but it's otherwise totally competent high fantasy stuff with League's unique aesthetic twists and a distinctive main cast.

Yeah, it was nice they got the voice actors from the game which means you get like Laura Bailey and Liam O'Brien. I don't think they're cheap to get, especially now you have to pay to get them away from their RPG thing.

Related to Arcane, I do feel a little bad that the LoL VAs didn't get to play their characters, but it's hard to argue with the results. (JB Blanc who voices Braum in LoL voices Vander in Arcane. That's cool.) Sarah Anne Williams is really good as Jinx in the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think that part of the deal Riot Forge offers is that they let the studios use Riot's voice actors for the champions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vermain posted:

Cool, good to know. I clocked a little over 30 hours into the original FF7 on my Xbox a few months ago (haven't gotten around to finishing it), but it very much made me fond of turn-based JRPG gameplay. My only other venture into the genre up to that point had been Pokemon Blue when that first came out, lmao.

Dawgstar posted:

It doesn't take a beast of a PC to run or anything either.

I have a modest gaming PC, but I've decided that my OLED Switch is gonna be my portable RPG/platformer gaming machine.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If any of y’all are in the LA area, I highly recommend the immersive experience. https://tickets.secretcinema.org/arcane/

I’m not just saying that because I’m working it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm certainly interested in someone shoveling big heaps of money at Fortiche to see what they'll do as another big project, whether or not it's related to this franchise.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, it was nice they got the voice actors from the game which means you get like Laura Bailey and Liam O'Brien. I don't think they're cheap to get, especially now you have to pay to get them away from their RPG thing.

Related to Arcane, I do feel a little bad that the LoL VAs didn't get to play their characters, but it's hard to argue with the results. (JB Blanc who voices Braum in LoL voices Vander in Arcane. That's cool.) Sarah Anne Williams is really good as Jinx in the game.

I mean, as someone else said, the voice actors from the game probably have some contractual commitment with Riot for them to be able to use them in other projects, but even if we'd strictly be talking straight-up pay-per-projects for new commitments...

...Riot has Sting-money.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Speaking of that song, I legit shuddered when I rewatched it and paid closer attention to the lyrics.
It's incredible how they don't just reflect Jinx' point of view perfectly, they also apply on another level to the individual scenes showing during the last minutes of the show AND THEN yet another level from a Zaun vs. Piltover perspective.

quote:

I am the monster you created
You ripped out all my parts
And worst of all, for me to live, I gotta kill the part of me that saw
That I needed you more

I hope you know we had everything
When you broke me and left these pieces
I want you to hurt like you hurt me today and
I want you to lose like I lose when I play What Could Have Been
Oh, What Could Have Been

Why don’t you love who I am? What we Could Have Been

I am your ghost, a fallen angel
You ripped out all my parts
I couldn’t care what invention you made me
‘Cause I, I was meant to be yours

I hope you know we had everything
When you broke me and left these pieces
I want you to lose like I lose when I play

I want you to lose like I lose when I play What Could Have Been

This is just so well-loving-done, yeesh

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jerkface posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-arcane-riot-games-league-of-legends-2021-11

Feel like live action league of legends would be a mistake. I think the animation medium is perfect and the house style they are developing with Arcane is THE best video game-adjacent aesthetic they could possibly have. Still love that they are doubling down with Fortiche :)

quote:

We're exploring live-action projects and talking to writers and showrunners. We're in the beginning stages of building out the direction we want to take."

PLEASE no. I am begging Riot to abandon this before it starts. There's enough live action trash in the world.

If Arcane had been a live action show instead of animated, I probably would never have bothered even if the reviews were still as glowing

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 22, 2021

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Macaluso posted:

PLEASE no. I am begging Riot to abandon this before it starts. There's enough live action trash in the world.

If Arcane had been a live action show instead of animated, I probably would never have bothered even if the reviews were still as glowing

The recent Cowboy Bebop is a good example of how sometimes it's best not to go with a live action format.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

etalian posted:

The recent Cowboy Bebop is a good example of how sometimes it's best not to go with a live action format.

heman the movie begs to differ

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

God I love the very final shot in the episode right before it goes to credits. It's only there for about a second too. This kicks rear end:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've rewatched the final 15 minutes several times now. The best part is that a lesser show would have used the ending for shock value, a Red Wedding-esque stinger to maximize drama even if it came at the expense of the characters or plot. But it's a natural culmination of everyone's choices that brought them to that table.

It's cruelly ironic that all of this was created by Vi calling Powder Jinx, and could have been avoided if she stopped calling Jinx Powder.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Asema posted:

To add onto this:

Jinx's decision to sit in the Jinx chair was the first time in the entire show there wasn't voices behind her dialogue. She was fully aware and made the choice herself with no "influence". It's the small things that the show does in the background detail that does so much.

I'll do you one better, and I only picked up on it because I was watching it with my headset on.

When Silco dies and she approaches the Jinx chair, you can hear the voices whispering to her, and closer she gets to the chair, the quieter they get until you can't hear them anymore.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

teagone posted:

The devs' previous game, Battle Chaser, was a pretty, but pretty simple and linear western JRPG. Travel from one encounter to another, have Final Fantasy style battles. The reviews seem to indicate Ruined King is exactly the same.

I'd suggest trying the new PVE roguelike deckbuilder mode in Legends of Runeterra. It's free, it's pretty generous, and it's a lot of fun, if you like the genre.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

If you can stomach more Imagine Dragons the worlds 2021 had a live action set and it looked absolutely gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OzoFq4Q3_c

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?
There's also some experience thing that you can go to.

https://tickets.secretcinema.org/arcane/

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Asema posted:

If you can stomach more Imagine Dragons the worlds 2021 had a live action set and it looked absolutely gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OzoFq4Q3_c

I can't deny that those sets are impressive, but there isn't a single shot in the live action parts of this where I'm not just thinking "why isn't this animated". In general I feel like most video game things should be animated (Sonic being a CG creation in a live action world is pushing it) but the LoL universe ESPECIALLY should not be live action in any form IMO. I'm also biased because in general I just don't get as excited for live action stuff as I do animation.

Let me tell you about how much I despise the live action Disney remakes :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Megazver posted:

The devs' previous game, Battle Chaser, was a pretty, but pretty simple and linear western JRPG. Travel from one encounter to another, have Final Fantasy style battles. The reviews seem to indicate Ruined King is exactly the same.

I'd suggest trying the new PVE roguelike deckbuilder mode in Legends of Runeterra. It's free, it's pretty generous, and it's a lot of fun, if you like the genre.

Oh! I did try out Battle Chasers on Game Pass a little while back; I enjoyed what little I played of it from what I remember. Having poured a chunk of hours into the original FF7 a couple months ago, I'm totally down for more FF style battles tbh. I'm not really big on card games, but thanks for the recommendation :)

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
goddamn this show was gorgeous. I really hope Fortiche takes over as a major studio, they've easily set themselves up as the new Supreme Hot poo poo in animation like Pixar did back in its hayday.

there were sometimes flaws or nonsensical bits in how the characters advanced the plot and I think they needed more time to narratively develop the relationship between Vi and Cait (they go from strangers snapping at each others` throats to potential soulmates over the course of like 2 days? 3??) buuut the writers` decisions on that are pretty understandable given the super fast pacing and large cast. Maybe another episode would have helped? even so the story and character writing were very refreshing overall and it has a lot of great gently caress you's to genre cliches.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Katreus posted:

There's also some experience thing that you can go to.

https://tickets.secretcinema.org/arcane/

I’m working this is if anyone has any questions about it, I can answer them. (Yes, it is cool.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The story and character beats are very basic, so is the dialogue. But there's a reason that "basic" is basic, because it works. I think someone said that this is Alex Yee and Christian Linke's first screenplay, so it makes sense they'd stick to what works well. It's elevated by its animation, acting and art design.

At least no one said "we're not so different, you and I".

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I don't think the story is basic, every individual bit is maybe a bit cliche, but I think it's all knit together pretty masterfully. The way the show subtly explains each character's motivations and flaws is pretty great, you slowly grow to understand them over the course of the story and the payoff is pretty satisfying.

Of course the characters are a bit cartoonish, it's a cartoon about LoL champions that in-game need to be distinguishable at a glance. So one is limping robot guy, one is handsome hammer dude, one is big glove punching lady. So for me the show is about as non-cartoonish as you could possibly expect under the circumstances, it was never going to be super subtle and realistic.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
It's really quite impressive how much the script avoided some of your classic Weighty Lines, too. The dialogue was quite naturalistic in most places, sometimes even minimalistic, and that's a stark contrast with the fashionable Portentous Speeches style of quotable lines popular of late in prestige dramas. When someone (mostly Silco) gives a long monologue it's because that's the sort of charismatic but insecure jerk he is (and everyone else comments on it), whereas for the most part it's fairly comfortable doing a lot with simple speech.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

pidan posted:

I don't think the story is basic, every individual bit is maybe a bit cliche, but I think it's all knit together pretty masterfully. The way the show subtly explains each character's motivations and flaws is pretty great, you slowly grow to understand them over the course of the story and the payoff is pretty satisfying.

Of course the characters are a bit cartoonish, it's a cartoon about LoL champions that in-game need to be distinguishable at a glance. So one is limping robot guy, one is handsome hammer dude, one is big glove punching lady. So for me the show is about as non-cartoonish as you could possibly expect under the circumstances, it was never going to be super subtle and realistic.

Yea the basic components may be cliche or common story beats but there is some real artistry in how they got knitted together. Writing a good, tight TV series is not a wide spread skillset so kudos for RIOT to pull it off with a bunch of noobs. I'd really love some behind the scenes stuff as everyone said, making of doc or some articles. It is some combination of the direction of both the animation and voice actors, the writing, and then the art itself helping to pull the cliche into the exceptional. A scene that'd be groan worthy in any other show just hits hard in Arcane because the characters are insanely expressive and the dialogue is being delivered naturally and appropriately for the moment. Just thinking of the scene where Vi and Ekko hug, Ekko's eyes slowly scrunching up and then tears running down his cheeks is chef's kiss in arcane where it'd probably be cringe in a lesser animated show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't mean that as a criticism.

I do understand what the earlier poster was getting at, with the development of relationships taking place so quickly. Beyond Vi and Caitlyn (which I can set aside because we all know people, especially around that age, who fall torridly, madly in love over days), I'm not sure I buy the Silco/Jynx father-daughter thing. While I can believe that a girl who is set adrift in a city, abandoned by her sister and guilty about killing her friends and father, struggling with PTSD and schizophrenia could develop that kind of co-dependence over a few years, I don't get why Silco would? He walked up to her, knife out, ready to kill her and then she's his most beloved daughter, the most precious thing in the world to him, after what - five to seven years? I guess you could explain it as "adopting" the adopted daughter of his "brother", but they only hint at that. I mean, I love the dynamic between Jynx and Silco and everything works when it gets there; it's just the getting there seemed rushed or inorganic. But with only 9 episodes to fill with a multi-year timeskip in the middle, some things are going to feel rushed.

Jerkface posted:

A scene that'd be groan worthy in any other show just hits hard in Arcane because the characters are insanely expressive and the dialogue is being delivered naturally and appropriately for the moment.

This is also a huge reason the show works so well, because, as in live action, you can let the characters body language and expression tell a story. I think one of my favorites is when Silco is talking to Vander's statue and pours one out for him. The way he raises his flask in salute is multilayered - regretful, ironic, fatalistic. Honestly it does more to sell me on the Silco and Vander as brothers-in-arms relationship as all the underwater flashback stuff.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 22, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hiveminded posted:

and I think they needed more time to narratively develop the relationship between Vi and Cait (they go from strangers snapping at each others` throats to potential soulmates over the course of like 2 days? 3??)

I think they do get close to overplaying their hand at points, but there's enough in their characterization that makes it believable for me. At the start of part 2, Vi is desperately alone in the world: all her friends are dead, her one surviving family member is MIA, and she's been locked up in a concrete box for at least 6 full years. Her one and only ally post-release is a pretty girl that risks life and limb to save her after Vi marches off on an unbelievably stupid solo mission, so her falling fast and hard is completely explicable. Similarly, Cait's been shown to be eager to escape the confines of her spoiled life and discover what the world's really like. Vi is everything Cait's never experienced: she's exuberant as hell, stylishly unkempt, swears a lot, knows how to enjoy life, flirts outrageously at the first opportunity, and has a terribly tragic past and deep, hidden vulnerability that only Cait gets to witness. The fact that they share several near-death experiences helps speed things along, but they're both exactly what the other's looking for at that moment in their respective lives.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
It's probably worth considering that caring for Jinx was in a way a way for Silco to be closer to Vander. It probably started out as an impulsive decision of convenience, but Silco does seem to be a man capable of strong bonds and sentimentality (even sentimentality superseding his otherwise callous judgment.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

It's not like they say they love each other like a Disney movie would handle it, hell they don't even show them kiss (:argh:). Them falling for each other so quickly is pretty believable, that happens all the time in real life, with way less life threatening circumstances. They're whole relationship felt pretty believable to me. But also they were basically an enemies to lovers trope and you can just shoot that poo poo right into my veins cause I'm the biggest sucker for that.

Also I feel like this show actually does a lot of things that subvert expectations quite a bit, and I'd almost say it's on purpose that there's also a lot of cliche stuff so the subversion hit harder. Of course stuff being cliche isn't really an issue, if the cliche things are being performed and acted well, which this whole series is. I know the OP didn't specifically say it was bad that stuff was cliche but is a criticism I get a little tired of.

There's a lot of Silco that's very cliche in terms of design and voice acting, but I feel like that only makes the scenes where he slips out of that stuff because something happened that was actually out of his control more powerful. The scene with him and Jayce is incredible

zoux posted:

At least no one said "we're not so different, you and I".

Add that to another cliche I love even if it's overused as hell. Of course it has to be delivered well by an entertaining villain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I felt the same way when they handed Jim Kirk the Enterprise fresh out of the academy in JJ Trek.

Macaluso posted:

Add that to another cliche I love even if it's overused as hell. Of course it has to be delivered well by an entertaining villain.

https://twitter.com/stephen_collins/status/1461682631406403584

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

zoux posted:

I don't mean that as a criticism.

I do understand what the earlier poster was getting at, with the development of relationships taking place so quickly. Beyond Vi and Caitlyn (which I can set aside because we all know people, especially around that age, who fall torridly, madly in love over days), I'm not sure I buy the Silco/Jynx father-daughter thing. While I can believe that a girl who is set adrift in a city, abandoned by her sister and guilty about killing her friends and father, struggling with PTSD and schizophrenia could develop that kind of co-dependence over a few years, I don't get why Silco would? He walked up to her, knife out, ready to kill her and then she's his most beloved daughter, the most precious thing in the world to him, after what - five to seven years? I guess you could explain it as "adopting" the adopted daughter of his "brother", but they only hint at that. I mean, I love the dynamic between Jynx and Silco and everything works when it gets there; it's just the getting there seemed rushed or inorganic. But with only 9 episodes to fill with a multi-year timeskip in the middle, some things are going to feel rushed.

This is also a huge reason the show works so well, because, as in live action, you can let the characters body language and expression tell a story. I think one of my favorites is when Silco is talking to Vander's statue and pours one out for him. The way he raises his flask in salute is multilayered - regretful, ironic, fatalistic. Honestly it does more to sell me on the Silco and Vander as brothers-in-arms relationship as all the underwater flashback stuff.

Silco is a cold hearted pragmatic monster but he became the way he is because he truly cares about Zaun, the people of Zaun, and wants what he thinks is best for it. It's why overgrown Teddy Bear Vander and him were so close as to be brothers -- they had the same ideals. Vander just came down on the less extreme side when he couldn't stomach the monstrousness of war, whereas Silco got more extreme from it. They both had the achilles heel of being able to love found family incredibly deeply, Silco just didn't have the opportunity like Vander until Jinx showed up. You know, because he was a crippled mess trying to scrap together a powerbase whereas Vander found some level of comfort and stability from maintaining his power after their break.

At first he likely just saw her as this munchkin who, somehow, cobbled together a weapon powerful enough to completely obliterate his gang and wanted to use her. But then whatever idealism and love for Zaun that set Silco on his amoral path snuck back in as he functionally raised her. Raised her to be an insane weapon, no doubt, but why wouldn't he grow as attached to her as Vander did for Vi and Powder? Jinx and Silco so obviously parallel Vander and Vi in that same light. And, hey, maybe he was full set to knife the kid who blew up his guys because she's dangerous, but it's another thing when a small, sad child is crying in despair and throws herself in your arms.

It might've been nice to see them develop a bond instead of fast forward to it and you can call on pacing issues for it, but hell, it's the same way with Vander and Vi and we didn't see him raise the girls -- it's just a bit more believable because Vander presents himself as a decent man (due to his position of power, largely). But Silco obviously has a whole lot in common with Vander and this is just another one of those similarities. Thus the soliloquy.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 22, 2021

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Hiveminded posted:

the writers` decisions on that are pretty understandable given the super fast pacing and large cast.

It's a big cast and it does move pretty quickly, but don't forget that you watched six hours of this.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I've been thinking about a point that has been discussed in this thread, namely the connection between villain-coded characters and physical disabilities and illnesses. It's true that most of the visibly-disabled characters are pretty villainous overall. But their disabled status is always a visual representation of the central problems and goals of the characters. The Zaunites as a group are suffering from the oppression of :capitalism: that doesn't even let them have their health. Silco loses his eye because he wants to fight. Savika loses her arm because she's loyal to Silco. Viktor is dying because he physically represents the unlucky state of the Zaunites. They all improve their condition with the help of Shimmer, which makes them strong but sinister, so they individually have the same relation to the substance as their faction as a whole.

Specifically for Viktor, I think the whole villain coding is misdirection. He's a better person than his colleague Jayce at least in the first season, and in the existing lore he never really becomes evil, just goes a bit overboard in his ambitions to replace weak mortal flesh with glorious machinery. I expect that's where his plot is going in the series as well, though it bounced around a bit in the last act.

Anyway, that whole aspect is part of something I really enjoyed in the series: the thematic connection between different storylines and even characters and setting. It's just really impressive how well it all fits together, and how many parallels one can draw out if one wants to. Very well constructed story, 10 / 10

And yet, in the end we do end up with a bunch of characters that reinforce the disabled -> sinister cliche, which I can understand if some people aren't happy about it. It's justified in the story, but yeah, ties into a larger cultural trend that isn't great. That said, I think Viktor specifically is giving some representation to the "sexy frail and dying person" prototype that I have rarely seen outside of 19th century operas.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I really like the mirror between Heimerdinger/Jayce and Vander/Silco where one is the 'we need to slowly improve things' character and the other is the 'no, people are suffering, we need to do something NOW' character. Silco is portrayed as a straight villain for this approach and Jayce is portrayed as a hero who reluctantly got rid of Heimer for the Greater Good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Regarding Jayce's origin: So, he and his mom are dying in a blizzard and a mage shows up for some reason and teleports them to Runeterra (or were they on a different part of Runeterra?) and then they start a very successful hammer factory? Is that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

zoux posted:

Regarding Jayce's origin: So, he and his mom are dying in a blizzard and a mage shows up for some reason and teleports them to Runeterra (or were they on a different part of Runeterra?) and then they start a very successful hammer factory? Is that right?

I don't think the show explains it much. The blizzard area kind of looks like a region from the lore, namely mount Targon, where a bunch of factions dwell. But I don't think it's ever explained where it actually is or why they were there in the first place. Maybe it'll be explained at some later point, or maybe it doesn't matter.

But I don't think they start a hammer factory, they were hammer makers to begin with as a family tradition.