Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

phuo: it's "merc'd", not "murked"

phuo: this is a snipe that is totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Since both are just random strings of letters anyway, does that mean "to take all that is good about a thing and systemically delete it with capitalism-religion and religion-capitalism"? Used in a sentence: Most simple food has been Amurked, but nothing compares to the Amerc'd cup of coffee.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

no I mean when, like, someone gets assassinated by some clandestine government operation people keep saying they got "murked" but I know better because I know all things. "merc'd" makes sense because it's like "mercenary" which is closer to the idea that someone knew too much or something so a wetworks person was dispatched. "murked" just doesn't make any god drat sense. someone gets "murked" because their life just got murky or something? is someone getting assassinated akin to getting owned by a baby murlok? no, because that's silly!

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Nov 21, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Got sent to a dark place, murked.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rainbow Knight posted:

no I mean when, like, someone gets assassinated by some clandestine government operation people keep saying they got "murked" but I know better because I know all things. "merc'd" makes sense because it's like "mercenary" which is closer to the idea that someone knew too much or something, so a wetworks person was dispatched. "murked" just doesn't make any god drat sense. someone gets "murked" because their life just got murky or something? is someone getting assassinated akin to getting owned by a baby murlok? no, because that's silly!

Merced is a city in California

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mercedes nutz

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rainbow Knight posted:

no I mean when, like, someone gets assassinated by some clandestine government operation people keep saying they got "murked" but I know better because I know all things. "merc'd" makes sense because it's like "mercenary" which is closer to the idea that someone knew too much or something so a wetworks person was dispatched. "murked" just doesn't make any god drat sense. someone gets "murked" because their life just got murky or something? is someone getting assassinated akin to getting owned by a baby murlok? no, because that's silly!

The word is etymological derived from mercenary. But over time it has lost the direct connection and is now spelled murked and basically just means to be murdered.

This is how most words in the English language work. They have diverged from their source word.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Since both are just random strings of letters anyway, does that mean "to take all that is good about a thing and systemically delete it with capitalism-religion and religion-capitalism"? Used in a sentence: Most simple food has been Amurked, but nothing compares to the Amerc'd cup of coffee.

what the gently caress are you on about

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

ishikabibble posted:

what the gently caress are you on about
If someone can arbitrarily shorten a noun (mercenary) into a past tense passive verb ((got) merc'd), then I can do the same thing ("We be Amuricans good buddy" -> (got) Amerc'd). :clint: We've ruined pizza, yoga, coffee, English (language); you'd think there'd be a word for it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

If someone can arbitrarily shorten a noun (mercenary) into a past tense passive verb ((got) merc'd), then I can do the same thing ("We be Amuricans good buddy" -> (got) Amerc'd). :clint: We've ruined pizza, yoga, coffee, English (language); you'd think there'd be a word for it.

We did not ruin pizza. We made it extremely good. Have you seen how other countries do pizza?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Pretty sure pizza you get in Finland that is made by Turkish immigrants and has kebab meat, fried egg, and smetana on it is the best pizza actually.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'll never forgive switzerland for the time I ordered a "peperoni" pizza and what showed up was 100% vegetal pizza. They knew what they were doing by calling bell peppers that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

KFC in other countries don't sell buttermilk biscuits. In Australia you just have plain dinner rolls and I think in the UK they have fries. The buttery biscuits are like the one guaranteed delicious thing at KFC so of course you don't serve it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
even in japan? also KFC is so bad. Grocery store hot counters have better chicken 100% of the time and that stuff is also bad

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The only thing KFC had going for it was the wedges. When they got rid of those, it was like, what's the point?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

KFC is inferior to Popeyes in every way, biscuit quality being first among them.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah KFC is not bad, but Popeyes is better

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

KFC is inferior to Popeyes in every way, biscuit quality being first among them.

This is practically a consensus opinion among people who live in a place with Popeyes. KFC is just more ubiquitous. They’re also both poorly run but with KFC that means you don’t get what you want and with Popeyes it often means you get more than you paid for.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Isn't KFC really popular in China, but fielding an unrecognizable menu?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It’s in Chinese

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

We've ruined pizza, yoga, coffee, English (language); you'd think there'd be a word for it.

Of course that's a weird and misguided thing to think, but the real story here is that the wiki for the history of the coffee trade reads like a seventh-grader wrote it, and not a particularly bright one

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Scientific poo poo in horror is almost always for the worse. They even had a really dull science subplot on Netflix's Catholic Vampires show. It's not magic, see, it's just a parasitic lifeform that makes no science sense, but here's some boring shots of people looking at microscopes.

The worst offender is zombie crap though. Turborabies is way less scary than dark magic and fists ripping through graves.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Church's is better than both and it's not even close.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Muscle Tracer posted:

In my neighborhood there's a KFC right next to a Popeyes, and I have no loving clue how the KFC has stayed in business. Money laundering, I guess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wouldn't be a bigger risk to money launder in a big franchise? Presumably KFC corporate/Yum foods have enough real profit they'd crack down on that. But what do I know, rich people helping rich people is as certain as death and taxes.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Scientific poo poo in horror is almost always for the worse. They even had a really dull science subplot on Netflix's Catholic Vampires show. It's not magic, see, it's just a parasitic lifeform that makes no science sense, but here's some boring shots of people looking at microscopes.

The worst offender is zombie crap though. Turborabies is way less scary than dark magic and fists ripping through graves.

counterpoint: radioactive zombies

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wouldn't be a bigger risk to money launder in a big franchise? Presumably KFC corporate/Yum foods have enough real profit they'd crack down on that. But what do I know, rich people helping rich people is as certain as death and taxes.

They’re franchises. I doubt corporate cares much about individual owner’s bookkeeping past making sure they’re up to date with their fees.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Of course that's a weird and misguided thing to think, but the real story here is that the wiki for the history of the coffee trade reads like a seventh-grader wrote it, and not a particularly bright one
I'm not sure what you're saying with a quote of examples taken out of context. You think we shouldn't have silly acronyms that are misspelled and cause confusion?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
popeyes kfc et al are all trash, they make friggin taco bell look like gourmet food. Wtf is wrong with people

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I had Popeyes yesterday, it was pretty good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown is better than All About My Mother

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

popeyes kfc et al are all trash, they make friggin taco bell look like gourmet food. Wtf is wrong with people

you should get your fail tastebuds looked at by a doctor

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I think artificially flavored maple syrup is better than the real deal. :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Agreed. Science improves food.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gripweed posted:

Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown is better than All About My Mother

Is that about the feel of early Almodovar versus later Almodovar?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i know a guy who got somewhat rich off bitcoin but he's semi-depressed because he's aware that while he worked hard at his job (a fairly prestigious job too) the thing that made most of his money was this one impulsive decision he made back in 2011 or whatever rather than the things he actually did

i wouldn't have this problem, i'd just be happy with the money because i hate work, but if you're the kind of guy that loves hard work and stuff it apparently kind of sucks to get money from nowhere

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i was done with the "oh-so clever satire of capitalism" genre of korean media before squid game even came out. it's like, i get it, these people are miserable and them killing eachother is a hamfisted baby's-first metaphor for the market. out of that whole genre, snowpiercer stands out to me as pretty good just because of the acting and cinematography although the ending bored me a bit. for these movies, "getting the metaphor" is functionally the same as "getting the reference" is for family guy in terms of what it does for the audience

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
yeah i dont need to watch squid game honestly just read about any labor action in the last 100 years and it's way more loving brutal than any dystopian fiction

vv fine maybe I do need to watch it

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 14:30 on Nov 23, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The main character of squid game’s whole deal is that he participated in a historical labour action that was brutally suppressed, and it left him broken.

Also it’s popular because of the visuals and acting not the obvious theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Elissimpark posted:

Is that about the feel of early Almodovar versus later Almodovar?

I don't know