Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
The big option that I miss from 4(a) is the ability to pick any individual demon and use your whole compendium to search for everything it can possibly fuse into. If that option opens up later feel free to tell me, since I don't care about mechanics spoilers. If that option exists from the beginning, please tell me, because I'm pretty menu-blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao, Mara's first move is Hell Thrust.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Late Area 3: Holy poo poo the BGM for the Ishtar fight. Was expecting the usual end-of-area music and got hit with that instead.

Also Ishtar is hilariously easy if you destroy all her devices, I almost wish I didn't hit them all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
post-area 4 dungeon: It's really funny that the dungeon comes right after level 73 bosses, immediately pits you against level 76 enemies, and ramps that up instantly all the way to level 87 enemies...and then the boss is just level 78 and has less health than the random encounters. Really feeling the fact that there just aren't enough filler demons in the level 70+ range

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Toad King posted:

Late Area 3: Holy poo poo the BGM for the Ishtar fight. Was expecting the usual end-of-area music and got hit with that instead.

Also Ishtar is hilariously easy if you destroy all her devices, I almost wish I didn't hit them all.

I felt no shame in making a mockery of the boss of this accursed area.

In brighter news, I really liked the next area: my favorite part of the game so far. Good area music, awesome new battle theme, a proper dungeon.

I like how everyone calls him "the Demon King" but then once he's revealed and beaten, they drop Arioch's name all the time. The game might as well have just screamed "WE FOOLED YOU!" Only they didn't fool anyone but clearly they wee trying for a fakeout. Oh well, fight was fun. I always appreciate when there is an enemy or demon around who is clearly meant for a boss, ya know. Yurlungur has Ziodyne which Arioch is weak to and learns Resist Ice and Ice Block. Just screams "use me in this fight!" And I did. I also was so happy to remember I fused Yoshitsune with Storm Dracostrike and Elec Pleroma. They won me the fight.

Yakumo's speech just now feels like a Dark Neutral option in the vain of Stephen or Dagda. Humanity First and at any cost, including its humanity/spoiler]

Also I could not help but notice Abdiel threatens to execute me and Ichiro my bosom buddy's only reaction was "welp, that was fun! Let's go home.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 22, 2021

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NikkolasKing posted:

In brighter news, I really liked the next area: my favorite part of the game so far. Good area music, awesome new battle theme, a proper dungeon.

I like how everyone calls him "the Demon King" but then once he's revealed and beaten, they drop Arioch's name all the time. The game might as well have just screamed "WE FOOLED YOU!" Only they didn't fool anyone but clearly they wee trying for a fakeout. Oh well, fight was fun. I always appreciate when there is an enemy or demon around who is clearly meant for a boss, ya know. Yurlungur has Ziodyne which Arioch is weak to and learns Resist Ice and Ice Block. Just screams "use me in this fight!" And I did. I also was so happy to remember I fused Yoshitsune with Storm Dracostrike and Elec Pleroma. They won me the fight.

Yakumo's speech just now feels like a Dark Neutral option in the vain of Stephen or Dagda. Humanity First and at any cost, including its humanity/spoiler]

Also I could not help but notice Abdiel threatens to execute me and Ichiro my bosom buddy's only reaction was "welp, that was fun! Let's go home.

Eh, "Maou" (demon king) is just kinda a generic title in japanese stuff, usually less important than it sounds when translated to English. A lot of animes/novels/whatever poke fun at the trope by having x number of maous that must be defeated. Magus in Chrono Trigger is also named Maou for comparison.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

In brighter news, I really liked the next area: my favorite part of the game so far.

Not really that surprising when you go a bit deeper into the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Big boy spoilers that you really shouldn't click until you've finished the dungeon after the fourth area: I really like they've twisted the traditional law/neutral/chaos into monotheism/atheism/polytheism

I picked the yakumo route, and Tao left me. Would she have powered up, instead, on the other two? Or come up with some excuse to leave anyways

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
just burst out laughing at (4th zone spoilers)ichiro's whiplash-inducing swerve from "gosh i sure do suck but maybe i can help anyway" to "i will be the SWORD OF HEAVEN *maniacal laughter*" over the course of like literally twenty seconds.

people were saying law was loving stupid in this, but goddamn

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I found that boss theme I mentioned earlier. It's so damned good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSZNQ7pb9RY

Somebody in the comments said it sounded like Digital Devil Saga. Whatever my criticisms of DDS, It has my all time favorite SMT normal battle theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkSxldnGHTU

Although, listening to this again, I think the SMTV track sounds a bit more like something out of Devil Survivor, mainly 2.

BabyRyoga posted:

Eh, "Maou" (demon king) is just kinda a generic title in japanese stuff, usually less important than it sounds when translated to English. A lot of animes/novels/whatever poke fun at the trope by having x number of maous that must be defeated. Magus in Chrono Trigger is also named Maou for comparison.

I see your point but I really do think the intention was to fake us out with "this is the final battle against he Demon King" being said a lot.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 22, 2021

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

He didn't compose SMT5. It was Kenichi Tsuchiya, who also did 4 and 4a.

Ryota Kozuka is the composer for SMT4 and 5

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Got a credits roll.

I thought it was weird how many loose ends were left over, and looked up the endings, so I'm going back in for the hidden ending. Just gotta grind up enough gospels to stand a chance against shiva

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
at some point in the future, i'm gonna try to do a low level playthrough on hard of this. Seems like it could be fun, if not frustrating.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What do you mean by low level? If you don't grind, the game does a pretty good job of keeping you 2-5 levels below every boss. It'd be hard to be lower than that.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Low level runs generally mean little to no exp gained from anything other than required encounters, which would leave you quite a bit lower than normal.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Do potentials carry on with fusion, or should I just hoard sutras until I have something particularily good to spend them on?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

cheetah7071 posted:

What do you mean by low level? If you don't grind, the game does a pretty good job of keeping you 2-5 levels below every boss. It'd be hard to be lower than that.

Minimum level possible usually. It's like a project to attempt to figure out how low you can be and still kill stuff, but I feel like this game might make things tough. The most insane thing i've done on this first playthrough so far is fight some of the quest bosses like Huang Long and Mephisto 10+ levels under.

edit: looks like it is essentially impossible to do literal minimum. Unless you just open treasure spawns for hours upon hours to build stats from balms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEjSoEpnEY

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 22, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was gonna comment after the last boss fight how, while Matarukaja has been invaluable, I still have found little use for Rakukaja. I've used it once or twice and made sure to have the Ma version around for emergencies, but it's just not as vital as in Nocturne or IVA. With their attack max lowered, even with no points in Vit or Life Spring any longer, I've been able to survive most things from bosses.

But Abdiel just won't leave me alone so I had to make sure I kept it up constantly. Even still, I died a few times, once or twice due to my Light weakness, once to her Critical Maragidyne (well that time I just quit but I was basically dead since my main party was all gone), and a few times to just unlucky crits However, even with no points in Agility or Sukukaja, you dodge her physical attacks a lot of the time I imagine Taunt on a Phys resistant demon would be very useful here but while I had a couple of those, I wanted to try to win without it because the fight didn't seem that hard. Sure enough, with Rakukaja constantly on, it's pretty doable.

I wonder if Luck plays into evasion at all. I've been putting points into Luck for the past...I dunno, 5-8 levels because it can apparently help you avoid instant death and also makes status effects more likely to hit. But maybe it also helps in dodging, I dunno.

All the gods sounded so lame. I really hate this voice filter they have on some of the storyline demons. Pretty sure that wasn't DC Douglas again as Odin anyway but it doesn't matter. All the major demons and gods in IVA just had perfectly normal voices and it worked great. Well, the Angels and Maitreya had distorted voices, but not this level of...whatever it is they do.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Is it possible to fuse loup garou?
I beat them a long while ago and I'm pretty obsessive with filling out the compendium to unlock special fusions yet they haven't shown up at all.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Neeksy posted:

Is it possible to fuse loup garou?
I beat them a long while ago and I'm pretty obsessive with filling out the compendium to unlock special fusions yet they haven't shown up at all.

The demon is way higher level than the boss.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

kirbysuperstar posted:

I put one to sleep and uh, well I dunno what I was expecting I guess.

And my jimmy runs deep
So deep
So deep
Put her rear end to sleep

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Supremezero posted:

The demon is way higher level than the boss.
Good to know, thanks!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inflammatory posted:

just burst out laughing at (4th zone spoilers)ichiro's whiplash-inducing swerve from "gosh i sure do suck but maybe i can help anyway" to "i will be the SWORD OF HEAVEN *maniacal laughter*" over the course of like literally twenty seconds.

people were saying law was loving stupid in this, but goddamn

God's messenger Jokerfied him.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, I think I've found a stopping point. How the hell do you do in the 2nd Area after Fairy Village the Thot Abscess battle? Dude just Matarundas you to oblivion and then uses Diarama and heals half his health. And it seems to count as a boss so despite the Dark Weakness he can't be instakilled. Am I meant to wait until I get like 4 more levels and burst him in one turn?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay, I think I've found a stopping point. How the hell do you do in the 2nd Area after Fairy Village the Thot Abscess battle? Dude just Matarundas you to oblivion and then uses Diarama and heals half his health. And it seems to count as a boss so despite the Dark Weakness he can't be instakilled. Am I meant to wait until I get like 4 more levels and burst him in one turn?

can you get Seal on him so he can't use his healing skills

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I built a team that had a lot of dark attacks + matarukaja to try to burst through his healing, plus I'd frequently use my last turn trying to put him to sleep since he's weak to that.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Also you because he uses tarunda on you, use rakunda on him as a cheap way to balance it out. I hit him with sleep whenever he was gathering magatsuhi and bursted him with a lot of dark attacks and my heaviest physical skills, he wasn't able to outpace that with healing and he doesn't heal every turn.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, I probably had the problem of not having any good dark attackers, no Mataru and being like 5 levels lower. I just rush to abcesses to get the Miracles fast and also be able to read the drat map. Also half of the time he woke up on his first turn so beyond extra Press turns I never tried to sleep.

Edit: on that note, at the point I'm at is there any better physical skill than Aramasa? Like, do any of the medium skills overtake it or am I close to the next Aogami essence. Not counting the Almighty one since it's more expensive and only deals a little more damage.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 22, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Item Getter posted:

Ryota Kozuka is the composer for SMT4 and 5

Thats what I get for trusting Google. Oops.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Who is the voice actor for the monk fellow? Sounds extremely familiar

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
IMDb says he's voiced by Regi Davis, who apparently has a lot of minor roles in TV shows but not anything I've seen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

poe meater posted:

Who is the voice actor for the monk fellow? Sounds extremely familiar

lance from she-ra

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I just simultaneously realized why elementals cost so much to summon from the compendium and why I need to save copies of each to my compendium full of good universal skills.

Maybe a spoiler question: Will I ever be able to overwrite the skills a demon comes with naturally?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Reik posted:

I just simultaneously realized why elementals cost so much to summon from the compendium and why I need to save copies of each to my compendium full of good universal skills.

Maybe a spoiler question: Will I ever be able to overwrite the skills a demon comes with naturally?

Nope.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Check out that demon's status effect resistances/vulnerabilities.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I remember one of the main reasons why I stopped playing SMT4 years ago, mid-way through the game, is that it got insanely tough and I simply got too frustrated with the nuanced management to progress, and I'm already starting to feel that early on with V. Got to the abssess with the mermaid and got thoroughly rocked but most of my demons were 2 or 3 levels lower. At this point early on, is it just about grinding until you're on level ground, or should I take more time fusing and building up a better team? I can't do much with a better team since I'm only level 10 but even generic mobs are loving me up pretty well and I want to stick it through this time around. Any advice?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Louisgod posted:

I remember one of the main reasons why I stopped playing SMT4 years ago, mid-way through the game, is that it got insanely tough and I simply got too frustrated with the nuanced management to progress, and I'm already starting to feel that early on with V. Got to the abssess with the mermaid and got thoroughly rocked but most of my demons were 2 or 3 levels lower. At this point early on, is it just about grinding until you're on level ground, or should I take more time fusing and building up a better team? I can't do much with a better team since I'm only level 10 but even generic mobs are loving me up pretty well and I want to stick it through this time around. Any advice?

You'll get more EXP doing side quests than grinding battles, so if there are any available that you haven't done, do that first.

Also, items are extremely powerful in SMTV, especially the element dampeners that Gustave sells. Stock up on those. Usually when a boss or miniboss gathers magatsuhi, they're about to use a big all-hitting elemental attack, and you can usually figure out what element it'll be and use a dampener to block it and make them waste their whole turn.

If you haven't fused a Neko Shogun yet, I also recommend doing that. Neko Shogun's the earliest demon who gets all the debuffs (Sukunda, Rakunda, and Fang Breaker has a Tarunda effect) and that can do a lot to take some of the pressure off your team in boss/miniboss fights.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Grinding is almost never the answer. You can't ignore weaknesses and status effects like you can in other games, really.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Fusing, using items in combat, and doing side quests will all pay off far more than grinding ever will. Mobs early on are pretty tough though so you just gotta stick with it and be prepared to eat dirt sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah one other thing to note is that Atlus games, SMT included, tend to be tougher at the start but then really even out (or even get too easy in some cases) later in the game when you have more options. The very beginning of SMTV is pretty tough though not quite as tough as the start of SMTIV, but it gets more manageable from there.

If you're on Normal, you're able to turn the difficulty down for now and back up later if it comes to that. On Hard, you can turn it down but never back up to Hard; you can switch between Safety, Casual, and Normal at will, though.