Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DAT THIG GAWT A HEMEE???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

actionjackson posted:

DAT THIG GAWT A HEMEE???

https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/1406094463173267463?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
oversized pedestrian murder machine murders a bunch of pedestrians

america.txt

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

it's already legal to run over protestors with your cars in some states, maybe the christmas parad was actually a protest?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1462451414211383305?t=Vn8rXru9KQ5bL7WFhnxalA&s=19

If you read the replies you'll discover this is totally normal and unsurprising

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

pointsofdata posted:

Meanwhile in Australia they've solved it, they've made motorways sustainable
https://twitter.com/msanto92/status/1461480406197280772?t=0B8F5tmfEYt7_XjFce9vhA&s=19

hey what do you know, it's done. only been like 4 years for a new freeway that won't actually save any time or reduce congestion lol. the biggest benefit to the environment was probably the disruption caused by building the thing deterring people from driving.

i really like what the council(?) has done with some of the streets around brunswick. Not only are they extremely narrow, but there are tonnes of traffic control measures like chicanes and and speedbumps to make it really annoying for cars and to slow them down. there is often a small gap for cyclists to go through so they aren't inconvenienced. Plus there's tonnes of cycling/walking paths, big yellow crossings just for walkers and cyclists, trams, a train line, lots of walkable stuff... only way it would be better is if they got rid of the on-street parking or banned the cars.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1462451414211383305?t=Vn8rXru9KQ5bL7WFhnxalA&s=19

cars are bad but you need to adjust for population size to make those numbers mean anything

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ArmZ posted:

cars are bad but you need to adjust for population size to make those numbers mean anything

I think it's just the sheer magnitude of it that is surprising. Obviously the wars were much more intense.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Alternatively, more Americans died in September 2001 from road traffic accidents than terrorism

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Also the trend is going up up up for the USA while the rest of the world seems to have figured something out to at least reduce the relentless growth of car deaths

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i had to drive out to the country this weekend to do a family thing at my uncles place, this man lives an hour outside of the city in a gigantic house. its like ten minutes to the nearest store, just a massive wasteland of housing developments to drive through before you get to a traffic-plagued "town square" that has a kroger and a target. terrible, terrible place.

on the plus side my car gets great mileage doing that much highway driving, i was getting close to 60 mpg. so whos to say if its bad or not.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Radirot posted:

have you ever seen that jeep/truck looking thing? wtf why

this:

that thing probably costs $80,000

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

every truck will be like the daylight cars from Daybreakers and they excuse will be "well they have cameras!"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Also the trend is going up up up for the USA while the rest of the world seems to have figured something out to at least reduce the relentless growth of car deaths

There's a graph in a related tweet where it looks like just speaking English has a significant correlation with things getting worse:
https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1461694578927489032?t=GsP0z-cdeb1NHlr16duwGQ&s=19

It's the same with public infrastructure construction costs, not hard to make a guess at some a causal relation

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

pointsofdata posted:

Alternatively, more Americans died in September 2001 from road traffic accidents than terrorism

crash not accident, my friend

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I do hope whoever came up with the idea of car crashes being "accidents" died in excruciating pain. Just one more thing that helps drivers justify going full sociopath behind the wheel and being given the benefit of the doubt when they murder someone.

"I was driving 20 over the limit and texting when I pulverized those children in the school zone crosswalk, woops, what a funny accident!"

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

pointsofdata posted:

There's a graph in a related tweet where it looks like just speaking English has a significant correlation with things getting worse:

If I had to take a guess it's due to being more directly in the line-of-fire of the american-centric car propaganda.

Fox news calling the mass homicide at a parade an "incident" because otherwise GM might pull some ads.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I do hope whoever came up with the idea of car crashes being "accidents" died in excruciating pain. Just one more thing that helps drivers justify going full sociopath behind the wheel and being given the benefit of the doubt when they murder someone.

"I was driving 20 over the limit and texting when I pulverized those children in the school zone crosswalk, woops, what a funny accident!"

'just had a little ooopsie where i was going so fast and texting so hard that i hit a baby stroller with my colossal suv and basically evaporated the baby. it left behind a little shadow on the pavement like after an atom bomb. well anyways that was an accident'

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

We call it an incident. An 'accident' indicates that no one is to blame.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

my ex is a radio broadcaster and she's always been instructed to call it a "collision" or "incident". "accident" iirc comes from insurance companies lobbying to use that terminology to reinforce the "no-fault" nature of many insurance systems (at least, that's what she was told, no idea how much truth there is there). "collision" or "incident" is used now because it is plain, neutral and matter-of-fact with no presumption of fault on the journalists part.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/21/business/drive-thru-slow-times/index.html

a national crisis

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pointsofdata posted:

The layout of american cities and suburbs being a complete environmental disaster notwithstanding, American's driving like total psycopathic assholes certainly doesn't help

pointsofdata posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1461694578927489032?t=GsP0z-cdeb1NHlr16duwGQ&s=19

It's the same with public infrastructure construction costs, not hard to make a guess at some a causal relation

ASPs are terrible?

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Nov 22, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

here is how you can solve the problem of the drive thru taking too long: park and go inside the restaurant, which is often empty

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lmao often the store pos software will prioritize drivethru customers over anyone ordering in the store

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lobster shirt posted:

here is how you can solve the problem of the drive thru taking too long: park and go inside the restaurant, which is often empty

lol they're literally locked in a lot of places

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I hate car infrastructure, car culture, car drivers, and cars

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
this got posted on Little Rock's subreddit last week lol

that's downtown little rock, the red is all car parking

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://hcagrads.hypotheses.org/1969

and here's a study that basically points to little rock for leading the charge on the destruction of america's cities in the 50s and 60s

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4euiL6uUn8

thinking my city's subreddit is feeling the gently caress Cars burn this week

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lmao

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1462871651188674560?s=20

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Millions dead from Henry T Ford and his invention, the automobile

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i've posted about this in cspam before, but my apartment complex welded all the gates shut on the perimeter fence to keep the vagrants out, who would come and hang out here because this is Arizona and our complex is the only island of trees in a mile radius that they can shelter under.

so the only way in and out of the complex is through the parking lot gate, which only opens automatically for car-sized objects. i commute by bicycle so i'm just doing donuts in the parking lot waiting for a real person in a car to leave the complex so i can follow them out. sometimes i have to budget 20 minutes into my travel time for this, it's literally impossible to come and go otherwise. i've seen kids in this complex miss the school bus despite being a mere 20 feet away because they couldn't loving leave. just staring at it through the bars of their prison as it drives off.

in february of this year, one of our buildings caught fire and the fire department wasted precious minutes angle grinding through the gate to access the building, freely burning the whole time. only four immigrant families were displaced! for a little while the gates were all open and we had freedom of movement again. until a couple months ago they quietly welded all the gates shut again. so i called up the fire marshall to lodge a formal complaint, who got back to me several weeks later to say "get hosed, they're technically not violating the fire code lol"

gently caress cars.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

My bollard... my hedge.. my ferrari

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

God Hole posted:

i've posted about this in cspam before, but my apartment complex welded all the gates shut on the perimeter fence to keep the vagrants out, who would come and hang out here because this is Arizona and our complex is the only island of trees in a mile radius that they can shelter under.

so the only way in and out of the complex is through the parking lot gate, which only opens automatically for car-sized objects. i commute by bicycle so i'm just doing donuts in the parking lot waiting for a real person in a car to leave the complex so i can follow them out. sometimes i have to budget 20 minutes into my travel time for this, it's literally impossible to come and go otherwise. i've seen kids in this complex miss the school bus despite being a mere 20 feet away because they couldn't loving leave. just staring at it through the bars of their prison as it drives off.

in february of this year, one of our buildings caught fire and the fire department wasted precious minutes angle grinding through the gate to access the building, freely burning the whole time. only four immigrant families were displaced! for a little while the gates were all open and we had freedom of movement again. until a couple months ago they quietly welded all the gates shut again. so i called up the fire marshall to lodge a formal complaint, who got back to me several weeks later to say "get hosed, they're technically not violating the fire code lol"

gently caress cars.

This is still one of my fave goon stories, it's loving nuts

EVs are just going to destroy roads at such a rate that any emission reduction from not burning fossil fuel is gone immediately

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

God Hole posted:

gently caress cars.

oh i remember that

i would just move if possible, that's definitely a fire code violation but it's AZ so lol

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Building/fire code enforcement does not seem to be a real thing unless you are connected to the local elites, they appear to be the only ones who have the ability to actually dispatch people who write tickets and condemn properties.

I'm sure this varies wildly from city to city.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I love to drive my car

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I love to drive my car

lol what the gently caress is this

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol what the gently caress is this

car insurance where you pay by the mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU