Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So, despite my biases against built-in apps I decided to try the Plex app on my new Samsung QN90a. None of the issues that I've experienced are present. It's chunking through the 4K rips with no problems at all and the 1080p content doesn't appear to have the occasional judder that I am seeing when played on the ATV. It's even still on WiFi as I have not yet hard wired it!

Is there something fundamentally different about these apps versus the ATV? I'd PREFER to run the ATV through it all, but it's seeming that the built-in apps may be performing better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

This may be too simple, but can you check your AppleTV Plex client settings for:

quote:

Is your Plex client set to not automatically adjust quality?

The folks in this thread figured out earlier that this was the cause for my 4K playback issues. I exhausted changing things in the server and was digging into codec settings but that one client setting I overlooked was the root cause. You can see the full discussion a little up thread if you hadn’t seen it.

Even as someone who has used Plex for years it was a head smacking “Aha!” moment for me and hopefully as simple for you.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Every app version of Plex is somewhat weirdly nuanced in terms of what it supports for direct play.

In a lot of cases, which I think is what's happening with the Apple TV, there are policy limitations in terms of what apps can officially leverage with the hardware, and this can cause systems which should be capable of direct playing anything to have trouble with certain codecs. Unless you're sticking with very basic filetypes there's usually limitations across different devices.

For basic filetypes this seems to be a "works every time" format.

Container: MP4 or MKV file
Video: SDR, 1080p max, x264 with 8-bit encoding, High Profile Level 4.0. Generally if a device is 4K capable you can do encodes in x265 8-bit and still do direct play.
Audio: AAC-LC Stereo works everywhere. I think most devices will play 5.1 AAC fine, as well as AC3 (Dolby Digital) and EAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus) in all format, including 7.1 and Dolby Atmos encodes of DDP.
Optional subtitles: SRT. Generally, bold, italics and underline will work fully. Basic colors will work but I think might require the entire line to be the same color. Subtitle positioning generally works for the 9 sectors (middle center, top and bottom center, left and right center, and the four corners), but the entire line has to be in one particular corner. You generally can't overlap subtitle lines (the later subtitle will usually cause the earlier one to disappear), but some devices will do overlapping fine. Of course, burned-in subtitles are fine and you can obviously do whatever you want with those.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Violator posted:

This may be too simple, but can you check your AppleTV Plex client settings for:

The folks in this thread figured out earlier that this was the cause for my 4K playback issues. I exhausted changing things in the server and was digging into codec settings but that one client setting I overlooked was the root cause. You can see the full discussion a little up thread if you hadn’t seen it.

Even as someone who has used Plex for years it was a head smacking “Aha!” moment for me and hopefully as simple for you.

It was set to on, just moved it to off and still performing the same way on some of the 4k videos.

I may just watch 4k on the built in apps, despite the UI being worse.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

According to this Reddit Post
the code LIFETIMEOFCOMFORT gets you 25% off lifetime membership for Plex.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone use Leawo Prof Media on macOS to convert UHD Bluray isos to MKV that keep the highest quality and surround? I've been fiddling with their demo and the Lossless Video setting gets transcoded as it seems the bitrates are too high. The 4K MKV setting has to be overridden to get surround (audio set to Audio Copy) as I was getting Stereo but seems pretty decent.

About to plunk down for the full version but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this software first or if there is something better to look at? I attempted that mkvtoolnix but either I am too dense or it's not meant for iso? It kept complaining that I wasn't supplying an mkv as input.

My end goal is take these UHD Bluray rips and get as near lossless (or absolute lossless) to play on my Plex through Direct play as possible.

Thanks!

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Not sure anyone here needs it, but Plex is doing a lifetime pass for 25% off for Black Friday as usual.
https://plex.tv/black-friday/
code : LIFETIMEOFCOMFORT

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TraderStav posted:

About to plunk down for the full version but wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this software first or if there is something better to look at? I attempted that mkvtoolnix but either I am too dense or it's not meant for iso? It kept complaining that I wasn't supplying an mkv as input.

ymmv on MacOS, but on PC I can mount an ISO for MKVToolNix. From there you go into the BDMV\PLAYLIST folder on the disc. Open any file and it should scan the folder and give you a list of playlists and runtimes. Find the one that matches what you want (it'll likely be 00000 or 00800/00801 but there are a ton of exceptions), based on runtime and audio tracks, so you'll know it's the movie if the runtime fits and also there are a ton of audio tracks including lossless ones.

From here you can output a 1:1 Remux MKV. Depending on what you're doing you might want to futz with the default track settings, for example the Dolby Vision is a secondary video layer (that patches the root one) and you can uncheck it to just keep the HDR10 original. Dolby TrueHD tracks including lossless Atmos will add both the lossless track as well as the core lossy AC3 track. You might have to set "default=no" on the subtitles except for any forced subtitle tracks for foreign parts (you'll have to experiment to figure out which these are if any). In some cases these subtitles are a subset of the main full subtitle track and will need other tools to only keep the foreign subtitles.

Finally, in rare cases this might not work right, or you might prefer to grab one of the .m2ts files directly. You can just add one of these from the BDMV\STREAM folder directly into MKVToolNix as well, but you won't get chapter stops this way.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

TraderStav posted:

MakeMKV is another one to try. It’ll get you a similar result as what univbee describes, but perhaps with a bit more streamlined process than mkvtoolnix. (The website says “free while in beta”, and it’s been in beta for the years and years I’ve been using it, so it’s apparently free to use, until it isn’t, maybe.)

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

deong posted:

Not sure anyone here needs it, but Plex is doing a lifetime pass for 25% off for Black Friday as usual.
https://plex.tv/black-friday/
code : LIFETIMEOFCOMFORT

I'm debating getting the lifetime pass, but I was wondering if people here thought it was worth it. I have zero desire to use the music playing side of Plex (I don't like Tidal so I just use Spotify for everything and I play my own media with that anyway) and I don't share my Plex server with anyone but my husband. I'm tempted to get it, but I'm not sure if that's just because of my "ooooh shiney!" impulse or if it is actually worth the ~90$.

Edit: Actually after looking into it more, I think I'll pass. The only thing I would really be interested in is local TV, but I can just buy a tuner if I'm that down to watch commercials again.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 24, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

univbee posted:

ymmv on MacOS, but on PC I can mount an ISO for MKVToolNix. From there you go into the BDMV\PLAYLIST folder on the disc. Open any file and it should scan the folder and give you a list of playlists and runtimes. Find the one that matches what you want (it'll likely be 00000 or 00800/00801 but there are a ton of exceptions), based on runtime and audio tracks, so you'll know it's the movie if the runtime fits and also there are a ton of audio tracks including lossless ones.

From here you can output a 1:1 Remux MKV. Depending on what you're doing you might want to futz with the default track settings, for example the Dolby Vision is a secondary video layer (that patches the root one) and you can uncheck it to just keep the HDR10 original. Dolby TrueHD tracks including lossless Atmos will add both the lossless track as well as the core lossy AC3 track. You might have to set "default=no" on the subtitles except for any forced subtitle tracks for foreign parts (you'll have to experiment to figure out which these are if any). In some cases these subtitles are a subset of the main full subtitle track and will need other tools to only keep the foreign subtitles.

Finally, in rare cases this might not work right, or you might prefer to grab one of the .m2ts files directly. You can just add one of these from the BDMV\STREAM folder directly into MKVToolNix as well, but you won't get chapter stops this way.

Thanks for the detail, perhaps it's the GUI that I'm using? When I search up MKVToolnix it's a command line only but they recommend a GUI (I downloaded MKVToolNix GUI). Will see if I can sort it out and get moving!

Blotto_Otter posted:

MakeMKV is another one to try. It’ll get you a similar result as what univbee describes, but perhaps with a bit more streamlined process than mkvtoolnix. (The website says “free while in beta”, and it’s been in beta for the years and years I’ve been using it, so it’s apparently free to use, until it isn’t, maybe.)

Awesome, will look into this as well. Shame it's not as straightforward as the old days of ripping.

Quickedit: .iso isn't in the list of supported media input types for that GUI. That's the issue I'm hitting. A thousand others, but not that.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 24, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm debating getting the lifetime pass, but I was wondering if people here thought it was worth it. I have zero desire to use the music playing side of Plex (I don't like Tidal so I just use Spotify for everything and I play my own media with that anyway) and I don't share my Plex server with anyone but my husband. I'm tempted to get it, but I'm not sure if that's just because of my "ooooh shiney!" impulse or if it is actually worth the ~90$.

I use Plex so much that it's probably the best deal I've gotten on a piece of software.

There's also the chance with any free software that they paywall/make it subscription based in the future, so a lifetime pass (hypothetically/hopefully) will grandfather you out of that eventuality.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm an idiot, need to mount the ISO and then go from there....

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I'm an idiot, need to mount the ISO and then go from there....

MakeMKV can open isos directly. Alos this: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

El Mero Mero posted:

I use Plex so much that it's probably the best deal I've gotten on a piece of software.

I genuinely forget what features are PlexPass and which aren't, but it's nice knowing that whenever some new element drops I don't have to look to see if I get it or not.

I'm also happy I bought a lifetime copy of FlashFXP for like.. $10 close to 20 years ago, as whenever I'm on a Windows machine and need an FTP client in a bind that's still my go to to grab ha. Remember when you used to be able to just... buy software? What were they thinking!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

univbee posted:

This really is a minefield. Here's my results:

SamsungTV Plex (wireless and wired 100mpbs as the nice TV doesn't have gigabit): Transcode video, 7.1 audio being played
AppleTV InFuse: Direct Play both Video and Audio
AppleTV Plex: Direct Play video, audio transcoded to FLAC

Most of the other content works better on the SamsungTV app, even over wireless but it seems like this John Wick 2 rip I just did the ATV is better. What inconsistencies.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Remember when you used to be able to just... buy software? What were they thinking!

Rationally. They were thinking rationally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When the plex downloads thing officially launched it worked, albeit slowly, but of course today now I need it I had success on 2 files out of 9. Both original and encoded.

So congrats team for managing to keep all the brokenness of the original system with half the features.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
If I leave my phone on with the app open for a few hours it’ll download. Try that! Make sure not to switch to another app or send a message though, as that might restart things. Works perfectly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I had it open in front of me and was watching the progress bar, and as soon as it hit 100 it failed. All TV stuff from various places so who knows what the issue. Nothing I *need* so it’s no big deal, just useful to have something when there’s some downtime before bed or whatever.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Oh I think it’s definitely a big deal. Sync worked fine and downloads is absolute trash.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

cryptoclastic posted:

Oh I think it’s definitely a big deal. Sync worked fine and downloads is absolute trash.

Sync never worked for me, so both are trash.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah sync was so terrible they had to scrap it and build something different with different branding.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As much as this sounds like I'm accusing y'all of holding your phones wrong, I'm curious how it is I've had perhaps two issues with it in the past, and it's otherwise been faultless across 5 devices and 3 servers going on 6+ years.

If you are syncing/downloading to a phone in particular, it's critical your phone OS isn't killing the background tasking that enables it.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I had it open in front of me and was watching the progress bar, and as soon as it hit 100 it failed. All TV stuff from various places so who knows what the issue. Nothing I *need* so it’s no big deal, just useful to have something when there’s some downtime before bed or whatever.

In my experience the "100% and failed" usually happens because something went wrong with a transcode. I saw it once when Plex didn't have write permissions to its own stuff, and I've subsequently seen it when the fancy new real-time transcodownload feature can't transcode quickly enough and the download stalls. For the latter, whacking download again usually works without issue.

I thought we were done with buffer underruns after the death of burned media, but tech always finds a way. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Molten Llama posted:

I thought we were done with buffer underruns after the death of burned media, but tech debt always finds a way. :v:

FTFY

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a good guide from moving my plex instance from Synology community package to docker? I'd like to keep my watch history etc.

Is it as easy as moving : /volume1/PlexMediaServer/AppData/Plex Media Server to the new docker /data?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc it can depend on the particular container how it maps stuff within the data dir so you’d want to run it once to see how the structure is. After that dumping it into the corresponding location should be good enough; I don’t recall of it saved my watch progress though.

This said I’d encourage you to keep it “bare metal” on Synology instead of a container as getting hardware transcoding going within the container is fucky and an almighty pain in the rear end. You are using the Plex issued binaries and so forth, right?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Warbird posted:

Iirc it can depend on the particular container how it maps stuff within the data dir so you’d want to run it once to see how the structure is. After that dumping it into the corresponding location should be good enough; I don’t recall of it saved my watch progress though.

This said I’d encourage you to keep it “bare metal” on Synology instead of a container as getting hardware transcoding going within the container is fucky and an almighty pain in the rear end. You are using the Plex issued binaries and so forth, right?

Ya, I've been downloading the plex update in app from their servers. So I'm way up compared to the synology community version. "newest online" 1.21.0-3744 vs installed : 1.24.5.5173-7000

I just updated to DSM7 and it wiped my *arr configurations. So I'm taking this time to move things to container.
I do have the plex pass, so hardware transcode happens some; but not often. I mostly play straight across.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Follow ur drems. The slight lag of releases hasn’t really bothered me this far and enough folks do Syn for their instances that I know they’ll be reasonably quick in getting a release out.

All my *arr stuff is in containers and so was Plex up until moving to Synology and encountering the hwt issue mentioned already. It’ll run just fine so if you’re just doing direct play it shouldn’t be an issue. Granted I was using Linuxserver’s container and the official one (assuming there is one) may not have that issue. Plus you can get really stupid and set up a k3 cluster (nothing is ever improved by using k8s) and make your Plex HA because hail satan.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I swear every week one of my users is getting a problem with a different TV app for Plex, it just seems a grim landscape right now following the drop of secure connections but it seems there's a ton of different things affecting people. I meant to buy 4K Firesticks for everyone when they went on sale a while back just because this day was always coming, and troubleshooting them is a pain in the rear end.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Warbird posted:

Follow ur drems. The slight lag of releases hasn’t really bothered me this far and enough folks do Syn for their instances that I know they’ll be reasonably quick in getting a release out.

All my *arr stuff is in containers and so was Plex up until moving to Synology and encountering the hwt issue mentioned already. It’ll run just fine so if you’re just doing direct play it shouldn’t be an issue. Granted I was using Linuxserver’s container and the official one (assuming there is one) may not have that issue. Plus you can get really stupid and set up a k3 cluster (nothing is ever improved by using k8s) and make your Plex HA because hail satan.

Thank you for the insight. I'll keep plex as is but containerize the services.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any way to have Sonarr and Radarr not open my web browser every time the server boots up? I am obviously glad that they start with my computer (Windows 10 machine) but I simply would prefer they did not open a browser on boot. Is there any way to do this? I didn't see anything in Sonarr or Radarr settings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there any way to have Sonarr and Radarr not open my web browser every time the server boots up? I am obviously glad that they start with my computer (Windows 10 machine) but I simply would prefer they did not open a browser on boot. Is there any way to do this? I didn't see anything in Sonarr or Radarr settings.

Settings->General->Open Browser on Start

I assume......my stuff runs on linux, but did remember that choice was there.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Settings->General->Open Browser on Start

I assume......my stuff runs on linux, but did remember that choice was there.

Yeah I saw that on google but that option isn't there in the Windows version unfortunately (even with advanced settings being visible).

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I have a local setup for Sonarr/Radarr/Plex. A mini PC running Sonarr & Radarr grabs files then transfers them over the network to the HDD I have attached to a Shield running Plex.

This setup works well and I can access the web interfaces of Sonarr & Radarr to manage them, but it seems my mini PC is on its last legs. It's making a horrendous whirring sound now and I've tried to clean it inside and out but it still happens so I think a hard drive might be failing.

Any recommendations for a new PC or better/alternative setup?

Edit: Seems a lot of posts on Reddit are "Use a PI" "Lern unraid" "Get old PC and put linux on it". I'm kinda looking for something I can just plug in and it'll work

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 2, 2021

brains
May 12, 2004

nexus6 posted:

I have a local setup for Sonarr/Radarr/Plex. A mini PC running Sonarr & Radarr grabs files then transfers them over the network to the HDD I have attached to a Shield running Plex.

This setup works well and I can access the web interfaces of Sonarr & Radarr to manage them, but it seems my mini PC is on its last legs. It's making a horrendous whirring sound now and I've tried to clean it inside and out but it still happens so I think a hard drive might be failing.

Edit: Seems a lot of posts on Reddit are "Use a PI" "Lern unraid" "Get old PC and put linux on it". I'm kinda looking for something I can just plug in and it'll work

if it still works and performance is adequate, i'd just try to fix the specific hardware issue. the whirring is probably a fan bearing going out, and fans are dirt cheap and easy to replace. hard drives are also very easy to replace, if that is the actual issue. make sure you have backups, regardless.

brains
May 12, 2004

alternatively you can use this as an excuse to go on ebay and buy used enterprise gear to build a quicksync-capable plex server :gritin:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's most likely a fan and at absolute WORST a hard drive, a $120 computer part (I actually doubt it's a hard drive; any hard drive not from the 1990s will not make noise loud enough to hear unless your ear is resting on it and even then it's only if it had been dropped). Do not buy a new computer because of a noise (if you wanna buy one for other reasons that's cool).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

nexus6 posted:

What specific mini PC do you have?