Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Julia and Vicious are both really bad in this, I think. Plus that goddamn wig looks terrible. This would be a much better series without either of them and if it was just the three main characters on their adventures, then maybe just give one episode for Spike's stuff with them.

I'm not sure people realize Vicious is not super cool bishounen dude in this and is supposed to suck? It's completely spelled out in episode, what, 9? He's great at playing exactly the character he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Sad rich boys will literally be jrpg villain cosplayers instead of going to therapy

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021

Darko posted:

I'm not sure people realize Vicious is not super cool bishounen dude in this and is supposed to suck? It's completely spelled out in episode, what, 9? He's great at playing exactly the character he is.

Yeah it’s kinda punched into your face with the throwback episode. He’s a privileged kid who can’t do anything right and Spike is the only reason he’s not like, way lower one the totem pole even with his space dad.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

It’s a really bad idea to have a villain that is “supposed to suck” when you know how the story of cowboy bebop ends and how he plays into it. yea they could change that too but it would be maybe the worst thing that could possibly do lol

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Based off of the reaction I'm seeing here and elsewhere along with watching it myself I think it's safe to say your ability to like this adaption is based off of how long it's been since you saw the anime. The longer it's been the better this seems and vice-versa.

Great, since I've just now started to watch the original I guess I'll wait 20 years and watch this live action version.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Darko posted:

This should be your new avatar.
https://twitter.com/stephiroth__/status/1462203323289939969?s=21

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

lmfao

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Koirhor posted:

Instead we got Beer Gut Jet and Thicc Faye.

Jet was the best casting choice they made.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Darko posted:

The old joke of Vicious being "Space Sephiroth" mostly comes out of them being silver haired guys in black with katanas that teenagers fall for in different ways based on sexual orientation and latent wishes to be a cool badass. But they're also both people who you mostly see in the vision haunting the protagonist's past, while beneath it all there's a totally different person.

Now that I'm halfway through live action Bebop, I'm not really sure what to think about it being so up front about presenting him as just an unhinged and dangerous fuckup like literally everyone else in the show, but I'll see where it goes.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Killer robot posted:

The old joke of Vicious being "Space Sephiroth" mostly comes out of them being silver haired guys in black with katanas that teenagers fall for in different ways based on sexual orientation and latent wishes to be a cool badass. But they're also both people who you mostly see in the vision haunting the protagonist's past, while beneath it all there's a totally different person.

Now that I'm halfway through live action Bebop, I'm not really sure what to think about it being so up front about presenting him as just an unhinged and dangerous fuckup like literally everyone else in the show, but I'll see where it goes.

In either scenario, no one wants to listen to silver haired guys with big black katanas complain to their wife about their day at the space fish market.

How did anyone think that giving Vicious more dialogue was a good idea?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m almost done with the series and it seems… fine? Yes there’s some cheesy dialog but overall it’s not an intolerable mess either. Just like I said earlier, most complaints are: It’s not the anime. 7/10.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Vicious is only in each episode of the anime in a mysterious blue tinted montage. Other than that, he is literally only in five episodes. He isn’t all that important as a character. His main character trait is literally his loving name. He’s important through the effects his viciousness has on other characters.

Why would they give him so much screen time?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I’m almost done with the series and it seems… fine? Yes there’s some cheesy dialog but overall it’s not an intolerable mess either. Just like I said earlier, most complaints are: It’s not the anime. 7/10.

Yeah I'm on the same boat. There were some cheesy parts, and the acting in some scenes was... over the top? Not convincing? I can't put my finger on it. But overall I enjoyed it, and I hope there's a second season.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

VagueRant posted:

This is more a question than a criticism - my memories of the original are vague, but while I've no issues with John Cho as a stoic mysterious badass (and a great physical match) - I think he's miscast for Spike because he's too present/intense/focused in every scene? Like he never gives me the chill vibes I associate with the character. He's too switched on as a screen presence.

I think he's a compelling lead but that really jars with my memory of Spike Spiegel. Cho's more fire than water, if you get me?

ur memory is 100% correct, yes

Darko posted:

thank GOD they dedicated a combined two hours of screentime to him now that hes supposed to suck balls instead of just being some incoming threat that is more in the background, then

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lol

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
saw a dude react to that exact picture with "oh wow, is that vicious from the new netflix cowboy bebop!?!? :razz: :imunfunny:", som1 else go "yes" and him going "wtf...i was joking"

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I enjoyed it but I can see why people didn’t. I hope they give it a second season but I doubt that will happen because of all the negative press.

The negative press is the point, I think, and that's why I'm certain there will be a Season 2. This show is a perfect 50/50 on RT, which actually makes it the ideal Netflix production. This ensures that the maximum number of people will tune in just to earn the right to give some kind of take. I realize it's tempting to think that everyone involved in the production is just incompetent or stupid but their bosses know exactly what they're doing and they appear to be getting better at it over time.

SEE YOU SPACE DICK TWINKIE

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol:

https://twitter.com/Bolverk15/status/1462450998606282752?t=F_eqFi-hlg5FN9qDhdDlDQ&s=19

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the average western pig beast doesn't watch anime, so their standards are so low that this seems good. once again the refined otaku palate comes out ahead

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Woozy posted:

I realize it's tempting to think that everyone involved in the production is just incompetent or stupid but their bosses know exactly what they're doing and they appear to be getting better at it over time.
I think you dropped your parentheses, you clearly meant (((they)))

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Martman posted:

durr, yes, that guy is being a chud. sick of "redpilled" dog-whistling garbage like The Producers

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Fucker posted:

durr, yes, that guy is being a chud. sick of "redpilled" dog-whistling garbage like The Producers
I don't think anyone was supposed to like Springtime for Hitler though? You are saying it's something everyone hates, the other poster is saying it is perfectly crafted to make people disagree about it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"wow dude, all they said is that the mysterious figures who control the media are conspiring to make 50/50 like/dislike ratio media to foment discord among the sheeple, calling them a conspiracy theorist obviously makes you a succ lib"

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I realize all amateur culture critics learned their trade copying the modern grift of "decoding" everything everyone says about anything--it is, after all, the one take that any idiot can learn how to do convincingly--but "Netflix producers know how to drive traffic to their platform" is an extremely far cry from whatever paint-huffing lunacy you're onto, here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Woozy posted:

I realize all amateur culture critics learned their trade copying the modern grift of "decoding" everything everyone says about anything--it is, after all, the one take that any idiot can learn how to do convincingly--but "Netflix producers know how to drive traffic to their platform" is an extremely far cry from whatever paint-huffing lunacy you're onto, here.

Thank you for decoding this for us.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Woozy posted:

Yep I sniffed a bunch of glue to come up with this galaxy-brain take: Netflix would like for their shows to receive universal acclaim and only a moron would think otherwise

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Penitent posted:

In either scenario, no one wants to listen to silver haired guys with big black katanas complain to their wife about their day at the space fish market.

Um, depends? Vicious as the ghost haunting Spike doesn't do anything like that, it's outside his brand. And with that as the focus on Vicious, even the reveal of who he really is outside of that ghost it shouldn't likely come up. But where Vicious is presented from the start to the audience as a mirror to Spike that got Julia but didn't get out of the Syndicate, who's chafing trapped in middle management instead of spinning his wheels as a freelancer? That Vicious would be parallel to Spike in the pettiness of existence as well.

And to every other character where you get to see much of them for that matter. Cowboy Bebop doesn't really have any glamorous characters; it only has characters who look glamorous through other people's eyes. If you, the audience, are shown someone in their private moments, it's it's going to trend toward a view of the sad banality of their life.

Now, like I said, I don't know if I'm sold on that. I'm not a big fan of Vicious in the anime and didn't look forward to seeing him getting an expanded part. But if he's going to be treated as a real character rather than a looming figure, it seems this is the kind of character he'd have to be. Even if it doesn't mesh much with some people's teenage memories of :swoon:Vicious:swoon:

I'd still rather see more of the episodic stuff that made the meat of the original show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do people keep bringing up 'teenage memories' and 'fanboys.' i dont even like bebop i think its insanely overrated and mostly got big because nobody had seen an anime with a gun in it before. the only eps of it i really like are one off comedy ones. this series still sucks rear end. the people making this conversation entirely about comparisons to the original seem to be people trying to defend the netflix series

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

why do people keep bringing up 'teenage memories' and 'fanboys.' i dont even like bebop i think its insanely overrated and mostly got big because nobody had seen an anime with a gun in it before. the only eps of it i really like are one off comedy ones. this series still sucks rear end. the people making this conversation entirely about comparisons to the original seem to be people trying to defend the netflix series

bebop is a very good show that is indeed probably the most overrated anime from the 90s, but i agree w/ u overall. u dont need to be a diehard fan of that show to see this is a trash adaptation all the way through.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Martman posted:

Sorry, are you implying that they think this is a Jewish conspiracy of some kind?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'll be honest, I knew the (((they))) thing was associated heavily with specifically anti-Jewish stuff, but I also thought it had come to be used more generally by conspiracy nuts talking about our "media overlords" in very vague ways. My point was to make fun of the conspiracy theory mindset about the people who control our media, not to accuse Woozy of antisemitism.

Like, "this is exactly how they wanted us to react... And they're getting better at it over time!!" is Alex Jones tier, not in bigotry but in dumbness

Martman fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 22, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think this is a specific example of it since there's no real controversy its just the quality of the show, but its not unreasonable to say that media conglomerates like internet arguments, theres been proven cases of them manufacturing and adding fuel to the fire for that stuff

also no the (((them))) thing is super specifically jewish not a general conspiracy thing

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
I wish they hadn't so tried to slavishly recreate some of the specific visuals from the show. Hot on the heels of a rewatch of the OG most of these moments feel cheap and unearned, particularly in light of how some of the spots where they zigged when the original zagged worked nicely. Whitney being a con artist mother instead of a con artist love interest for Faye was a lot of fun I thought!

Really needed some Hammerhead and bros flicking cigarettes through zero-g to each other though.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

(((Cowboy))) Bebop

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Martman posted:

I'll be honest, I knew the (((they))) thing was associated heavily with specifically anti-Jewish stuff, but I also thought it had come to be used more generally by conspiracy nuts talking about our "media overlords" in very vague ways. My point was to make fun of the conspiracy theory mindset about the people who control our media, not to accuse Woozy of antisemitism.

Like, "this is exactly how they wanted us to react... And they're getting better at it over time!!" is Alex Jones tier, not in bigotry but in dumbness
No it's absolutely an anti-semitic dog whistle and nothing more, it's not a general conspiracy thing.

It's only used by anti-semites and people making fun of anti-semites.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the real problem is that if you freeze any frame it looks like loving cosplay which is the only thing worse than anime

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Vicious is what would happen if Draco Malfoy and Lord Farquad had a baby.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Imagine how much easier Geralt's job would be if he had guns

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

etalian posted:

Imagine how much easier Geralt's job would be if he had guns

Considerably easier to hunt monsters with a giant fuckoff bowgun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fucker posted:

ur memory is 100% correct, yes

thank GOD they dedicated a combined two hours of screentime to him now that hes supposed to suck balls instead of just being some incoming threat that is more in the background, then

Yeah, but that's literally not what he is in this show though. At this point, I'm not sure people have watched the show. Vicious is basically an entirely different character in this. So is Julia. Both characters are majorly different.