Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Mormons like to marry lots of ladies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Nooner posted:

is this true? can the ladies marry lots of guys? hosed up, not gonna be enough ladies if they can’t

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sugar free jazz posted:

is this true? can the ladies marry lots of guys? hosed up, not gonna be enough ladies if they can’t

Oh that's easy, you send all the young men somewhere far away and out of the picture.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nooner posted:

They also like to have lots and lots of kids.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I heard the no coffee thing came about after Joseph Smith's wife got real loving sick of serving coffee to all his followers all the time.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not accepting my new neighbour?

quote:

I (38F) am part of a group of friends in my neighbourhood. We take turns hosting dinner parties between our households (5 houses out of 15 in our neighbourhood). One of our group recently moved out because her husband was cheating with his secretary. In the last month he moved her in and is acting as if everything is normal.

I am hosting dinner this month (we’re hosting thanksgiving as none of us are able to see family this year). The husband of my friend (who’s back home with her parents otherwsie she’d be invited) asked my husband, as they’re friends, about the plans and assumed he and his mistress would be invited. My husband said no and that due to circumstances none of the wives wanted them (both him who betrayed our friend and his girlfriend who was very aware of his wife and kids at home).

Well, the girlfriend came by to talk to me today. She approached me right as I was getting home from work so I’m assuming she was waiting for me. She wants to try to mend fences and build friendships with the wives of her boyfriends friends and neighbours as she’s now part of the community. I’ll admit I was exhausted after working a 48hr on call shift and I am very protective of my friends normally. I don’t care to be this woman’s friend. I simply said to her ‘I don’t want to be friends with a woman that screws around with married men and your boyfriend stopped being my friend when he destroyed his family and broke my friends heart’. And just walked into my home.

My husband got a call from her boyfriend and he was furious with me for making his girlfriend upset. My husband really doesn’t like what his friend did either and told him that he doesn’t support cheating either and understand that I don’t want to continue friendship with him or his girlfriend.

My friends are split. All my friends that are friends with his soon to be ex wife are 100% with me and most think I should’ve been harsher with my words. But, other friends keep telling me that she’s not the problem, the husband cheated. And while I agree with that, I also believe that this girl was aware he had a wife and young kids at home and knew that damage this would do. No she didn’t take a vow, but personally I think it’s very immoral and it’s like backstabbing another woman to get involved with someone that’s in a committed relationship. I don’t see why I should be friends. It’s not like I’m friends with the whole neighbourhood to start with anyways.

Onya, Petra!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cool Dad posted:

I heard the no coffee thing came about after Joseph Smith's wife got real loving sick of serving coffee to all his followers all the time.

Like he'd care; he'd just get another wife who was cool with it.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA Crude Joke of Farting on Friend's Dog

quote:

I was at a close friend's house recently. They had just gotten a new puppy and I had just been introduced to it. As a joke, I farted on the puppy. It was definitely on the crude side but I thought it would be taken okay, especially since it was the dog of someone I'm so close with. My friend, and his family, both found it extremely disrespectful and openly expressed this to me. I was uncomfortable the rest of the night after how critical they had been. I do recognize the joke was unnecessary but I feel that it should have been clear from our relationship that I did not mean to be disrespectful. I felt that their response to the situation was harsher than warranted. AITA?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Not speaking to that poster's specific sensibilities which are their own thing, but Islam has very explicit hardship clauses that say you should not let your religious expression get in the way of basic survival. Like mostly stuff about eating on Ramadan if you're diabetic or pregnant or not observing the Salah if someone known to persecute Muslims is watching, but I'm pretty sure if working at a coffee shop that sells the occasional ham sandwich is the best job you can get, the Qu'ran wants you to grit your teeth and do it until you land something better.

value-brand cereal posted:

30m husband asked 26f me to have sex with his friend. He left me, is saying I cheated, and I'm pregnant.

UPDATE 30m husband asked 26f me to have sex with his friend. He left me, is saying I cheated, and I'm pregnant.

Good lord. I think this is pretty much the definition of gaslighting. Oh he forgives her for being sexually manipulated? What a piece of poo poo.

The obvious answer here is to say you can't even think of forgiving him until he clears the record and tells everyone what really happened. Then if he does, use it as ammunition in the divorce and block him everywhere.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

AITA Crude Joke of Farting on Friend's Dog

the dog probably liked it, who cares. dogs piss and poo poo and fart all the time

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I mean sure, the dog didn't care or understand. But if my friend came over and immediately farted on my new dog I'd be like wtf are you doing dude, what the hell

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

found a good one from ask a manager:

My boyfriend left me for an intern at work and her manager called my friend about it

quote:

My live-in boyfriend of several years recently told me he has been having an affair for months and ended our relationship to pursue a relationship with the affair partner. He and I are both in our early 30s and met at work, where we are both still employed. The affair partner is an intern in our office, over 10 years his junior.

Since the break-up, I’ve been staying with a friend from work (“Diana”) and have been out of the office for the past week on a vacation I scheduled prior to the breakup.

Diana tells me that the intern’s manager called her while I’ve been away and tried to initiate a conversation with her about the situation, including the phrase “as [intern]’s manager I have a responsibility to ensure that she has a safe working environment.” Diana found the phone call confusing and was unclear why he contacted her and what he wanted from her. She explained that her involvement in the situation was extremely limited and ended the call.

I find the fact that he contacted Diana at all, and especially the presumed implication that I pose some kind of threat to the intern, wildly inappropriate and insulting. It feels creepy and unprofessional that he went sniffing around Diana instead of speaking to my manager or to me directly, and also excessive that he brought it up at all. Neither Diana nor I has had any contact with the intern, we work in a professional environment where interpersonal violence is not a concern … it’s just bizarre.

Is there something I’m missing here? Is he just doing his due diligence so he can tell HR that he spoke to someone close to me and it doesn’t sound like I’m planning to shank her in the break room? Is this clumsy and misguided but ultimately not that big a deal? I would really like to tell my manager what happened and ask that he make it clear to the intern’s manager that any concerns he has about the situation need to be directed to my manager or me, but I’m worried that I’m overreacting (I’m pretty traumatized and not responding to things as I normally would). If it matters, my manager has been super supportive about the break-up and I believe he would have my back on this.

update

quote:

First of all, I’d like to thank you and the commentariat for the advice (and sympathy, and confirmation that my reaction wasn’t nuts). That being said, my update is a bit anticlimactic — by the time I got back from vacation, the offending manager had been moved to another location (a scheduled lateral transfer that I hadn’t been aware of).

Immediately upon my return, my ex accused me of spreading nasty rumors about the intern or using Diana as a proxy to do so in my absence, so my assumption is that the manager’s call to Diana was an oblique echo of that accusation. Since he had moved on, I wasn’t worried about any more trouble from him but it was a tip-off that my ex and the intern were attempting to do damage control at my expense, and people were taking them seriously.

This was sadly not the end of the drama with them and it became clear that, as multiple commenters suggested, the intern was indeed very much engaged in a one-sided war over the narrative, aided and abetted by the ex, including telling outright lies about me and the situation in general, which came back to me from well-meaning colleagues but was pretty detrimental to my mental health and ability to function as normal at work. This led to a complete breakdown in front of my boss (thanks to everyone who complimented me on how professionally I was handling everything! It didn’t last). As expected, he was supportive and escalated it to his manager and HR once he realized what was going on. Long story short, the official line from my grandboss was along the lines of “we don’t want you to do anything that could jeopardize your tenure, so you just keep your head down and we’ll make sure that it stops.” So that’s what I did and he held up his end of the bargain.

I did end up getting tenure (after 5 years at my job they either give you the nod or the boot — this all happened in the last few months of my 5-year trial period, what a joy) so I’m getting a raise and also a job for life if I want it. The intern’s internship ended in August and she was given a student position in another location. My ex’s area of responsibilities was changed to keep us from having to interact professionally. The situation is far from perfect but I do feel like I’ve weathered the storm with most of my professional credibility and dignity intact, and the intern’s smear campaign was clearly unsuccessful.

At the end of the day I’m glad that the intern’s manager’s inappropriate call gave me the heads-up that something funky was going on, and that the commentariat was clever enough to clue me in that the intern and the ex were trying to poison leadership against me. My management and HR did a lot of flailing (I think they were scared of lawsuits and also just unpracticed in dealing with this sort of thing, thank goodness) but they were supportive and they ultimately did right by me. After five years of chasing tenure, I feel like I can finally take a breath and figure out if this is actually what I want to do for the rest of my professional life. Thanks again for your advice, and I’ll definitely be relying on Ask A Manager if I do decide to take another path!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wizardofloneliness posted:

Using someone else's credit card without their permission is a pretty big boundary to cross imo. If they were married or in a long-term relationship with shared finances that would be one thing, but it sounds like they have not talked about it at all based on his reaction. Whether she forgot her wallet at home or she just didn't feel like waking him up or whatever, I think it shows pretty bad judgment to do that unless you've had previous conversations about it. I know I would be uncomfortable if a fairly new boyfriend thought it would be ok for him to take my card without my knowledge even if it was to buy something nice for me, just because it was more convenient for him. The guy should've just been direct with her about it instead of going "well, technically you're a thief", so I'd settle for an ESH.

I'd definitely settle for an ESH, but as others have pointed out, I am tending to her now being more of an AH than he is.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PetraCore posted:

I thought it was a caffeine thing with Mormons, my understanding is they're pretty strict on any sort of 'mind-altering substance' no matter how normalized/mild, which can cause problems when someone has a legitimate mental disorder that needs medicating. I don't know if there's any official doctrine over taking psychiatric medication in case of serious medical need, but my suspicion is that psychiatric problems are considered something that needs to be prayed away even if there'd be understanding over someone needing to take, say, insulin. Hopefully that can shift in the future with more recognition of mental illness as potentially a physical problem and not a 'spiritual' one.

EDIT: From googling around I also suspect it depends on specific like, sect and stuff, it sounds like mainstream Mormonism is understanding that some issues require prescribed medication to deal with whereas some stricter sects might... disagree.

Mormons are allowed to drink soda which has caffeine. They used to not be allowed to but they believe the head of their church is a prophet in close contact with god and god told him soda was a-OK sometime in the 80s.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Mormons are allowed to drink soda which has caffeine. They used to not be allowed to but they believe the head of their church is a prophet in close contact with god and god told him soda was a-OK sometime in the 80s.
which is about five years after god told them that black people could, in fact, be priests

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

which is about five years after god told them that black people could, in fact, be priests

And note that "priest" for Mormons just means "adult member in full standing", so it's even more egregious than black people were excluded from leadership positions.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Not speaking to that poster's specific sensibilities which are their own thing, but Islam has very explicit hardship clauses that say you should not let your religious expression get in the way of basic survival. Like mostly stuff about eating on Ramadan if you're diabetic or pregnant or not observing the Salah if someone known to persecute Muslims is watching, but I'm pretty sure if working at a coffee shop that sells the occasional ham sandwich is the best job you can get, the Qu'ran wants you to grit your teeth and do it until you land something better.

Most religions do have those loopholes, and I'm sorry, but if I worked in a food place, and a coworker said they couldn't handle a food item (and they have been provided with gloves too), I wouldn't be picking up the slack for them, and I doubt management would be super understanding. Unless of course I had my own loophole: it's against my religion for me to clean bathrooms, so coworker has to do it instead of me, and I will handle all the pork.

Reminds me of a lovely call center job I had, where a bunch of new hires all insisted they needed Friday nights and Saturday mornings off for personal reasons, which switched to religious reasons when told No.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I mean sure, the dog didn't care or understand. But if my friend came over and immediately farted on my new dog I'd be like wtf are you doing dude, what the hell

Too late, he already claimed your dog

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Most religions do have those loopholes, and I'm sorry, but if I worked in a food place, and a coworker said they couldn't handle a food item (and they have been provided with gloves too), I wouldn't be picking up the slack for them, and I doubt management would be super understanding. Unless of course I had my own loophole: it's against my religion for me to clean bathrooms, so coworker has to do it instead of me, and I will handle all the pork.
Not only would management not be supportive, if this was the US, they’d actually have the law on their side (and I’d guess in Canada too). You’re required to provide reasonable accommodations - but the key word is ‘reasonable’ and OP being unable to perform a basic and necessary job function means there’s no real way for OP to do the job.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
that really seems like something you should ask your spiritual advisor about, anyway, not strangers on the Internet who likely don't share your faith. your imam can explain to you that Allah isn't going to drat you because you touched pork, and you'll be more likely to take it to heart because it's coming from someone you trust.

AITA for reacting with disgust to my boyfriend sharing an experience he had as a paramedic?

quote:

Hi, I am 23f dating a 33m. I’m feeling super conflicted right now after my boyfriend just shared a story with me about an experience he had while working as a paramedic. Basically, he told me this with the preface that it was a funny but extremely messed up story. He has a twisted sense of humor and his partner at work does, too… but I felt this was too far.

On to the story: he arrived on scene of a 25 year old dead girl who had drowned and part of his job is to pronounce people dead and obtain a time of death. His partner and he unzipped the mesh bag that her body was in, and his partner said “turn her over. I wanna see that rear end. Did you see the way her back was arched when she was laying flat?” My boyfriend proceeded to flip her over to see her rear end (she wasn’t naked, but wearing a bikini), and then flip her back and put her back in the bag. The police officers on the scene looked at them in disgust.

My boyfriend expected me to laugh, but I think this is too far, and violative, and frankly a little gross. He says it’s not that serious and regrets sharing it with me. AITA?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What the gently caress I would megadump anyone who told me that poo poo

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Chloe Jessica posted:

AITA for reacting with disgust to my boyfriend sharing an experience he had as a paramedic?

lol, loving hilarious!!!! LOLOLOLOL! That's a story I would tell everyone and I'll appear to be a very well adjusted individual.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for taking leftovers home?
I(32F) and my husband(35M) have been married for 3 years. I gained a ton of weight through my life and got weight loss surgery in 2019. The surgery shrank my stomach and I can't eat a ton. I do enjoy the meals by ordering smaller portions.

My husband hates it when I order food and take it home. He thinks it's a waste of food and money. We recently went out to dinner with friends and I ordered a chicken dish. I felt full and asked if I could get a box. The waitress brings me over a box and I see my husband roll his eyes. He looks at the rest of the food and says there are a ton of people that would appreciate receiving a meal. I started to feel embarrassed and apologized to my friends.

On our way home, husband and I got into a huge argument about the evening. He tells me that going out to eat isn't enjoyable since I got the surgery. AITA?[/quote]

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Chloe Jessica posted:

that really seems like something you should ask your spiritual advisor about, anyway, not strangers on the Internet who likely don't share your faith. your imam can explain to you that Allah isn't going to drat you because you touched pork, and you'll be more likely to take it to heart because it's coming from someone you trust.

In my experience, there are some people who's sum total of internet usage, social life, educational life, and even spiritual life is replaced with Reddit. They open up Reddit, read a whole bunch of reddit, comment on Reddit, and then go to sleep. If it's not on Reddit, it doesn't exist. It's surreal, but it's also why there's reddits for the dumbest, weirdest things.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I(32F) and my husband(35M) have been married for 3 years. I gained a ton of weight through my life and got weight loss surgery in 2019. The surgery shrank my stomach and I can't eat a ton. I do enjoy the meals by ordering smaller portions.

My husband hates it when I order food and take it home. He thinks it's a waste of food and money. We recently went out to dinner with friends and I ordered a chicken dish. I felt full and asked if I could get a box. The waitress brings me over a box and I see my husband roll his eyes. He looks at the rest of the food and says there are a ton of people that would appreciate receiving a meal. I started to feel embarrassed and apologized to my friends.

On our way home, husband and I got into a huge argument about the evening. He tells me that going out to eat isn't enjoyable since I got the surgery. AITA?
What the gently caress? I can't even parse Husband's position here; it's not like she's throwing it away or whatever, the exact opposite in fact! And if she's anything like my girlfriend (who's also had Gastric Bypass), its that even the smallest portion they provide is larger than what she can eat in one sitting. Does he think that the restaurant donates leftover food to people or something?

Neito fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 22, 2021

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Chloe Jessica posted:

Are paramedics even allowed to pronounce the time of death?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Neito posted:

In my experience, there are some people who's sum total of internet usage, social life, educational life, and even spiritual life is replaced with Reddit. They open up Reddit, read a whole bunch of reddit, comment on Reddit, and then go to sleep. If it's not on Reddit, it doesn't exist. It's surreal, but it's also why there's reddits for the dumbest, weirdest things.

What the gently caress? I can't even parse Husband's position here; it's not like she's throwing it away or whatever, the exact opposite in fact! And if she's anything like my girlfriend (who's also had Gastric Bypass), its that even the smallest portion they provide is larger than what she can eat in one sitting. Does he think that the restaurant donates leftover food to people or something?

From further down:

OP posted:

Before the surgery? He was very happy with my weight. He was not supportive of the surgery.

He's 100% trying to sabotage her :(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

On our way home, husband and I got into a huge argument about the evening. He tells me that going out to eat isn't enjoyable since I got the surgery. AITA?
[/quote]

Your husband is a feeder and is mad you won't gain more weight. Divorce

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Chloe Jessica posted:

Wtf. That cant even be excused by coping mechanism. Thats just straight up creeping on a dead womans rear end.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ponzicar posted:

Yeah, some places just have the stipulation that it has to be someone "medical" so a paramedic absolutely can.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

ponzicar posted:

No but if cops were there then I'd assume a coroner was already there too. Either way it sounds like they knew she was dead without needing a coroner to tell them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ponzicar posted:

I've never been a paramedic and only have pronounced death in a hospital, and only in one state, so bear everything with a grain of salt. Time of death is a legal thing, not an actual thing. If a patient died in my ward and I couldn't pronounce death for an hour because I was elsewhere working, I was supposed to document the time that I pronounced death, not the time they had clinically died. That is not the same as when someone like a coroner estimates someone's time of death.

So, maybe.

I know in some states medics can in cases of gross non survivability (ie decapitation) or with lividity already setting in, and they can sometimes use their medical command doc to do it too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

No but if cops were there then I'd assume a coroner was already there too.

lol, I see you don't have any experience in this.

The coroner is the person you sit around on the scene for two hours after everything is long over waiting for. And play hot potato on who has to sit there and wait. "Sorry, we're the only ALS rig on duty, we have to leave." "We've got the only ladder truck in service, we can't stay either" "I'm the only cop on duty for my zone, gotta go!"

Also, you never want to pronounce unless you have absolutely no other choice and it's just that obvious. It's a lot of paperwork.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Neito posted:

Was he saying that she could have left it for the friends to share eating? Doesn't really make sense, tho.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Barudak posted:

Not broken at all, what in the gently caress. Husbands only mistake was going back in and not leaving.

If they can’t go places where the wife knows people then that presumably cuts out a decent amount of local restaurants, the wife chose a place where she didn’t expect to know anyone. From the husbands story it was 5 minutes of conversation he had to endure and not like they pulled up a table and sat down with them or she called someone on the phone or something.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Motronic posted:

lol, I see you don't have any experience in this.

The coroner is the person you sit around on the scene for two hours after everything is long over waiting for. And play hot potato on who has to sit there and wait. "Sorry, we're the only ALS rig on duty, we have to leave." "We've got the only ladder truck in service, we can't stay either" "I'm the only cop on duty for my zone, gotta go!"

Also, you never want to pronounce unless you have absolutely no other choice and it's just that obvious. It's a lot of paperwork.

I get all that but I don't think the dudes turning over the body to see the dead girls rear end were thinking about the legal definition of dead.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for not even eating a spoonful of this woman's cake?

quote:

I (25M) don't like chocolate. Usually I get a stomach ache from chocolate so I avoid it like the plague. I do have a sweet tooth but I prefer other flavours (caramel, strawberry etc) far more than chocolate. You get the picture.

My roommate "Benji" (25M) has been dating a woman "Brooke" (26F) for 5 months now, and she's obsessed with two things: baking and chocolate.

Two days ago it was my birthday and to my surprise Brooke gifted me a cake ... a death by chocolate mudcake.

I told Brooke straight up I couldn't eat it, and I suggested she should give the cake away to Benji. But Brooke was insistent that the cake was my present from her and she wanted me to keep it and eat it.

I had to reiterate that chocolate made me feel sick and I wasn't going to eat the cake. Brooke insisted I have a spoonful to at least to try it, but I told her I'd rather she just give the cake away to someone else because I really didn't want it and her baking would be completed wasted on me.

It went back and forth like that for a while and Brooke was still pushing me to accept her cake. I admit I was getting frustrated with the conversation so I just walked away and left her in the kitchen with the cake.

15 minutes later I come back to the kitchen for a drink and Brooke had a cut a slice of the cake and was trying to give it to me to try. I once again told her that chocolate makes me sick and i don't want to be sick on my birthday, especially because I was having friends over later and I didn't want any stomach issues.

At that point I was done with the whole conversation and I told her she needed to stop obsessing over trying to feed me her cake because it was really making me uncomfortable on my birthday. And this is where i could be the rear end in a top hat - to lighten the mood I did jokingly ask if she was a "feeder" and that's why she was so obsessed with the idea of me eating her cake?

Brooke and Benji are both pretty angry with me at the moment and think I was acting like a dick, but I have other friends that are on my side and think Brook was way out of line.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

so that cake was definitely poisoned or some poo poo right

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Yeah, no way there wasn't something weird in that cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More likely that the baker honestly couldn't believe that someone strongly dislikes chocolate and would not eat even a little under any circumstances. Compounded by being mad over her time and effort being rejected