Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

um excuse me posted:

Two questions.

Has anyone bought Goldwyns cook book? I basically want a paper copy of Amazing Ribs since nothing on the internet is permanent.

Is there an easier way to demold a WSM than hitting it with a pressure washer and scrub? I definitely don't have the money to use it often enough to keep it clean and seasoned.

See this is another reason I love my Keg. Just toss a couple lit lumps in, open up the air, and let massive heat cleanse the sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Theres certainly nothing stopping me from doing that other than burning a bunch of charcoal I'd rather use for cooks.

Edit: gently caress iiiiiiit

I have an entire white oak to chop and burn, was saving it for the fire pit I have but no one goes through that much wood.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 20, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got my hands on a high-grade whole brisket at the store yesterday. The butcher said it's somewhere between USDA Prime and Wagyu, and they hardly ever have them in stock because people buy them up so fast. Gonna smoke that bitch tomorrow night :getin:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Anyone have a solid Thanksgiving side they make on the smoker/grill?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I cooked stuffing on a Weber kettle a couple of years ago. It came out pretty good.

Smoked deviled eggs, smoked twice-baked potatoes, and smoked potato salad are all delicious. There's also grilled asparagus and brussels sprouts if you want something easy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gwaihir posted:

Spatchcock, 2 day dry brine, if you do a rub then make sure your temp doesn't hit 350+ so it won't char. It'll probably be done a lot quicker than you'd think. Turkey doesn't need a low 225 long smoke like brisket chuck or shoulder do.

Pre chopping it in to portions is also a thing to make it super foolproof, that way you can pull breasts at the right temp while the thighs are still cooking, etc. That's not totally necessary, but it can make things a lot easier to nail temp wise.

This dude completely deboned his turkey and made demi glace with the extra bits. I'm thinking of doing similar but cooking the meat in my pellet smoker instead.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

um excuse me posted:

Edit: gently caress iiiiiiit

Careful there, that can get too hot.

That said, how did it go?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I opened all of the ports, closed up the door and lid and let it run until it went out. I figured at the very least if I didn't manage temps a little I would roast the seals off. It looks like I ran an oven cleaning cycle. All the mold burned off and the grates are as clean as I've ever seen them.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My mom wants me to come smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving.

They bought a frozen turkey, and are trying to thaw it.

How can I assess the potential level of thawedness when I go over on Tues to dry brine the bird?

I know smoking will be less forgiving of frozen spots than oven roasting, so I figured I'd check here.

Is there a good guide to smoking a turkey, in terms of time/temp ranges?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Annath posted:

My mom wants me to come smoke the turkey for Thanksgiving.

They bought a frozen turkey, and are trying to thaw it.

How can I assess the potential level of thawedness when I go over on Tues to dry brine the bird?

I know smoking will be less forgiving of frozen spots than oven roasting, so I figured I'd check here.

Is there a good guide to smoking a turkey, in terms of time/temp ranges?

In my experience, the cavity always seems to be the last area to thaw. Should be an easy check.

Turkey is a hot and fast smoke. 325 baby, let er rip. Unsurprisingly, with near oven temps, you can expect near oven times, but since a turkey has both light and dark meat, its absolutely a must to check temps. FDA says its safe to cook a turkey to 165F and has been for some time. Do not take the dark meat out to 180F like some may suggest. Pull at 160, the latent heat should be enough to raise it the extra 5 degrees. Spatchcock if you can, do not stuff the turkey. Smaller birds turn out better than larger ones, moot point in your case, but if you need more meat than a smaller bird contains, get a second small bird. Dry brine overnight, wet rub with a poultry rub and oil the day of. Inject with melted butter or oil when the bird hits 90F on the grill/smoker. Make sure there is at least 3 inches of separation between the drip pan and the turkey.

I think that's it.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 22, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Wet brine it and don't worry about how thawed it is because the brine will thaw it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding wet brining a turkey:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/bbq-and-grilled-turkey-recipe/#salt

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I prefer wet brining my turkey since I have a brine recipe I like to do every year and some of the key ingredients don't come in a "dry" form. I've been doing it for almost 20 years and it hasn't produced a bad bird yet.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I posted without comment because it seems like a valid way to do it, it just seems like a lot more work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My brisket was supposed to be on the smoker by now but I hosed up and left the lid open too long while putting it on, and now the fire is burning too hot. Instead of killing the fire, since my grill is a bit dirty and I've got charcoal to spare, I'm letting it go on self-cleaning mode until the coals burn off and then starting over.

It's gonna set dinnertime back by an hour or two but I think I've got time to spare.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

um excuse me posted:

In my experience, the cavity always seems to be the last area to thaw. Should be an easy check.

Turkey is a hot and fast smoke. 325 baby, let er rip. Unsurprisingly, with near oven temps, you can expect near oven times, but since a turkey has both light and dark meat, its absolutely a must to check temps. FDA says its safe to cook a turkey to 165F and has been for some time. Do not take the dark meat out to 180F like some may suggest. Pull at 160, the latent heat should be enough to raise it the extra 5 degrees. Spatchcock if you can, do not stuff the turkey. Smaller birds turn out better than larger ones, moot point in your case, but if you need more meat than a smaller bird contains, get a second small bird. Dry brine overnight, wet rub with a poultry rub and oil the day of. Inject with melted butter or oil when the bird hits 90F on the grill/smoker. Make sure there is at least 3 inches of separation between the drip pan and the turkey.

I think that's it.

I just did some turkey legs to 160 and they were chewy as all hell. Why wouldn’t you take them up higher? They were dry brined as well.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 22, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This was in reference to doing a whole bird. Doing a whole bird is not ideal. Legs can tolerate higher temps, breast cannot. You take the temp in the thickest part of the breast. The leg will be hotter by the time this reaches 160. This is one of the reasons a smaller bird cooks better.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

What wood do you prefer for your turkey? I've done pecan and apple / hickory and am considering which to do this year.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Speaking of turkey, if I spatchcock a 13 pound turkey, how long at 325 would you think it should take?

Meathead says 1.5-2 hours, but his times on pork butt and brisket were way understated in my experience.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

nwin posted:

Speaking of turkey, if I spatchcock a 13 pound turkey, how long at 325 would you think it should take?

Meathead says 1.5-2 hours, but his times on pork butt and brisket were way understated in my experience.

That sounds about right in my experience.

Tomfoolery posted:

What wood do you prefer for your turkey? I've done pecan and apple / hickory and am considering which to do this year.

I like pecan and oak!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

nwin posted:

2 hours is about right by my experience. Turkey is quick.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Remind me again what temperature the stall usually happens at on brisket?

Mine is at the high 180°s right now and it's only just now starting to slow down, and I'm trying to figure out if I need to move the temp probe or push it in deeper or something since my brisket has only been smoking for a little over 10 hours.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

I. M. Gei posted:

Mine is at the high 180°s right now and it's only just now starting to slow down, and I'm trying to figure out if I need to move the temp probe or push it in deeper or something since my brisket has only been smoking for a little over 10 hours.

I've only ever done one brisket (this past weekend), but it seemed to hang out at 150 for 4 hours.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm seriously considering just doing the bird in the oven... I have no idea how big of a bird they got, but I've never spatchcocked one before, and I'm worried trying to smoke it is going to turn out poorly...

But everyone is excited for a smoked bird :ohdear:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
^^ Spatchcocking isn't too hard as long as you have good kitchen shears.

I. M. Gei posted:

It's usually more in the 150-160 range, but can happen higher too. Depends on water content because it's evaporative cooling that causes the stall.

Worst case it finishes early and you can hold it at temp in a cooler until closer to meal time.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Annath posted:

I'm seriously considering just doing the bird in the oven... I have no idea how big of a bird they got, but I've never spatchcocked one before, and I'm worried trying to smoke it is going to turn out poorly...

But everyone is excited for a smoked bird :ohdear:

You can smoke it un-spatchcocked. Spatchcocking exposed more area to smoke and cooks more evenly, you can get similar results standing the turkey up with the cavity facing down. There are special stands you can get, but I'd just make something to work. It's probably easier to spatchcock at that point though. It will also still work laying down. Honestly the brine, rub, and butterballing are a lot more important.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Mom just texted me that the bird is 22lbs lmao.

I'm gonna try to smoke it standing upright, that's a good idea.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
22 pounds is loving gargantuan, that's going to take a long rear end time if you don't spatchcock. I'd consider just breaking that up in to individual legs/thighs/etc tbh. Much easier to manage that way. Smoking is pretty forgiving cooking wise.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
yeah with a 22 pound bird your best bet is to break it down into breasts/thighs etc before you smoke it, you can just slice and arrange everything real neat on a platter if you're a stickler for having a presentation bird at the table

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agreed. That was going to be my suggestion as well. Will make things a lot easier and the food will come out better.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Counter point; convince people that turkey is old hat for Thanksgiving. Cook brisket instead. jkjk

That's a big bird tho :dogstare:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I don't know why I didn't check for a smoking thread until now. I only started back in August and I'm loving it; this is one of the things I was looking forward to the most about getting a house.

I just did a batch of wings tonight:

I've done so many wings, I'm getting really good at those. I've also done two briskets and a few racks of ribs. I probably shouldn't be eating this much meat but I've been looking forward to this for so long and just want to keep learning and improving as fast as I can. My excuse was it also helped a lot to cook outside instead of heating things up inside.

Yeah I gotta do more wings/drums for some shorter weekend smokes; it's kinda nice to cook something in a shorter timeframe sometimes

Is that a PK Grill?

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

sterster posted:

Counter point; convince people that turkey is old hat for Thanksgiving. Cook brisket instead. jkjk

That's a big bird tho :dogstare:

We are doing brisket again for Thanksgiving this year. Smoked turkey is great, but one more excuse to pick up a packer is all I need.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Gwaihir posted:

22 pounds is loving gargantuan, that's going to take a long rear end time if you don't spatchcock. I'd consider just breaking that up in to individual legs/thighs/etc tbh. Much easier to manage that way. Smoking is pretty forgiving cooking wise.

Anybody got a good guide for how to do this? I've never spatchcocked/broken down a turkey before.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I gotta do more wings/drums for some shorter weekend smokes; it's kinda nice to cook something in a shorter timeframe sometimes

Is that a PK Grill?

Yup, PK360. Loving it, especially being all aluminum so it survives being outside in FL for more than a week. Adding a Kick Ash basket solved the few problems I was having which were evidently being caused by PK's ash basket having lovely airflow. Same with adding the "little more" rack they make so I don't have to crowd the wings to keep them over the drip pan.

At this point we just grab wings whenever we happen to see them in the store, since supply is unpredictable. Such an easy meal to cut those up, toss in a bag with a rub, then about 2.5 hours of cherry smoke.

I snagged a second turkey and stashed it in my freezer since it's the one time they're cheap. I also want to try smoking the whole bird, but didn't want to make the first attempt on turkey day itself and possibly botch things.

Gwaihir posted:

22 pounds is loving gargantuan

That's the bird I'm roasting on Thursday for just two of us :getin:

I just really love turkey and leftovers for days. I might have to freeze some of it this time, though; there's a limit to how fast even my fat rear end can eat.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

AmazingRibs stall article is good reading. Basically, stall temp is a function of air temp - the hotter the smoker is running, the higher the stall happens.

So if your fire is running hot, like you mentioned, it's not surprising that you'll see less of a stall, and that it'll happen at a higher temp.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

um excuse me posted:

This was in reference to doing a whole bird. Doing a whole bird is not ideal. Legs can tolerate higher temps, breast cannot. You take the temp in the thickest part of the breast. The leg will be hotter by the time this reaches 160. This is one of the reasons a smaller bird cooks better.

poo poo, thanks for that clarification!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Annath posted:

Anybody got a good guide for how to do this? I've never spatchcocked/broken down a turkey before.

There's tons of YouTube videos on this. But here's Malcom Reed's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEAQ_YopGk

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kalman posted:

AmazingRibs stall article is good reading. Basically, stall temp is a function of air temp - the hotter the smoker is running, the higher the stall happens.

So if your fire is running hot, like you mentioned, it's not surprising that you'll see less of a stall, and that it'll happen at a higher temp.

Well then apparently I just have the world's weirdest brisket because it didn't appear to stall at all. Or at least not that I can tell. The fire was a little on the hot side at around 250° toward the middle of the cook but then it started trending down from 240° near the halfway point and averaged about 225° after that.

Here's the graph for the brisket. I put the probe in a few hours into the cook so it starts a little late. I also moved it two or three times toward the end to make sure the readings weren't hosed up because I had it in a bad spot but, nope, turns out they were all the same throughout.

I pulled it at 200° and now it's sitting in a cooler wrapped in butcher paper until dinnertime.

Seriously though how the gently caress does a whole packer brisket have no stall? Is almost-Wagyu-grade brisket just like that or did I accidentally buy magical wizard meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Kalman posted:

Seriously though how the gently caress does a whole packer brisket have no stall? Is almost-Wagyu-grade brisket just like that or did I accidentally buy magical wizard meat?

Well I'll be hosed, the answer was right there in the AmazingRibs article Kalman posted! :shepface:

"AmazingRibs.com posted:

Hypothesizing that the stall might be evaporative cooling, but still wondering if it may be fat melting, Blonder took a lump of pure beef fat from the fridge, inserted a thermometer probe, and placed it in a thermostatically controlled smoker. He also soaked a large cellulose sponge in water, shook it out, inserted a probe and placed it next to the fat. Then he set the smoker for 225°F.

The results are pretty clear. In the graph, the sponge is the red line and the fat is the blue line. The fat did not have a stall at all. It slowly and steadily heated on a nice gradual curve. But brother, did the sponge ever stall. It climbed at about the same rate as the fat for the first hour to about 140°F, and then it put on the brakes. In fact, it even went down in temp! When it dried out after more than 4 hours, it took off again.

The conclusion was inescapable: “Since there was a deep, glistening pool of melted fat in the smoker, the rendering fat hypothesis is busted. The barbecue stall is a simple consequence of evaporative cooling by the meat’s own moisture slowly released over hours from within its pores and cells. As the temperature of cold meat rises, the evaporation rate increases until the cooling effect balances the heat input. Then it stalls, until the last drop of available moisture on the surface is gone.” This process also explains the formation of bark, the dried jerky-like crispy surface imbued with spices that barbecue lovers crave.

"AmazingRibs.com posted:

For his final test, Blonder took a six pound pork butt and divided it in two, removing the bone. He rubbed them both with Meathead’s Memphis Dust and put them into a 230°F cooker until the stall began. Then he wrapped one in foil and added 1 tablespoon of water. In the graph above, that one is the blue line, labeled “Rub/foil.”

The other piece of meat he left alone except for the rub, the red line labeled “Rub.” As you can see, the wrapped pork climbed to 180°F in about half the time, about six hours. He let it go to 190°F internal temp, a target I recommend, then he removed the foil and put the pork back on the cooker to firm up the bark. As you can see, the temp dropped immediately after unwrapping, as the moisture evaporated and cooled the meat. After four hours, the unwrapped butt still had not passed 180°F. The lines in the graph end when Blonder got hungry and when the foiled/unfoiled butt hit the same temp as the never foiled butt.

Apparently I had a super fatty piece of meat without a whole lot of moisture in it, and I covered it in a shitload of rub which may or may not have held in some heat and moisture like a kind of "pseudo-foil" wrap. Neat!