Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Not really sure to how explain it, I like to do metal and heavy stuff, but I wouldn't mind some like more "atmospheric" clean/less heavy parts, if that makes any sense. I don't know much about music production yet but maybe that will clear up what I'm looking for a little bit. e: Maybe Abasi for that?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Either Plini or Nolly then.
Alternatively, stick with Gojira and put a nice reverb/delay/both after it, in conjunction with the ones in the modeller.

I think with these all in one modelling amps it's easy to forget you can use them with other stuff before or after. I'm guilty of this a lot. You could even turn off the cabs on one and the amp on the next, boom, different cabs (at the cost of higher processing load though...). Or same principle but use the pedals from one with another.

Quick tips for atmosphere:

One delay set short, and another after set to a longer time, for example one at 8ths and the next dotted 4ths or longer. Easy way to create interweaving rhythms.

You can get away with massive reverb sizes if you lower the amount of wet signal and also eq out the low end a bit.

Reverb and or delay before a dirty amp, just watch that treble/presence or you might die.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 19, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

hey tell me what plug in to buy, dingleberry

I did, Cory Wong! He's the most metal of all the archtypes!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I might go with Nolly and Parallax then.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Another Black Friday heads up - Imaginando has just put VS on sale for half off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkC6LIGbbE

https://www.imaginando.pt/products/vs-visual-synthesizer

It's a hell of a lot of fun, although my current laptop kinda shits itself when I try to run it on an external monitor/projector while bitwig is running. Getting a new laptop next month that should take that in stride, though....

:holymoley:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Blue Lab is halting development and are offering all of their plugins free while their server is still up. I haven't had the chance to use them yet, but there's some cool looking stuff in there.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

2DCAT posted:

:same: i've bought hardware and software from them for maybe the last decade and have never had an issue with anything.

I've never ordered hardware from them, but they're doing an automatic 10% off Sequential hardware... the Take 5 shows as 1169 in cart, or an OB-6 keyboard for 2699. The Take 5 is 1499(!) anywhere else.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Since Plugin Boutique put the Audiority stuff on sale there too I went ahead and got the T7E, that trail will be great fun on some sources! I also picked their PolyComp as my freebie. From what I can tell it's an emulation of the IGS Audio Multicore mastering compressor, looking forward to seeing what the plugin can do for me.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm hawking my copy of Live 11 Suite over in SA Mart if anyone's keen.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985770

e: I think it's been claimed

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 22, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is RC-20 still worthwhile if I have the Soundtoys bundle, Ozone and Komplete (which have effects like the crush pack)? Seems like there's a lot of overlap, but the the all-in-one workflow/presets/magnifier could still make it novel and worthwhile.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Just don't get VYBEZ, in fact I'm gonna avoid anything TheNatan makes from now on after the total lack of support they've given for VYBEZ after promising for months to fix a bunch of issues. Promises --> disappear --> ignore all contact attempts from a ton of people --> keep doing sales and releasing new products --> profit, but not from me anymore.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Vybez has been my biggest purchase regret so far but I blame it on being young and innocent and not doing the musics for very long,
God help me I was drawn to Drip as well but I didn't go through with it. One click and it's perfect? who wouldn't want that!

What other regretful VST purchases have people made?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I only regret it if I end up not using it or it's busted poo poo like TheNatan has released. I only get something if it is a hole in my current kit or I really don't like what my current approach is doing for me in a given area, and I try to make a track with new stuff so that I can integrate it better and understand it in my workflow... Or it's guitar amp modeling stuff and then I'm just an addict, of course. NEED THAT TONE baby

I bet some day I'll get some expensive rear end sample pack or one of these mondo synths that never goes on sale and end up not even going down that road with it and think back later, drat, could have bought a Nintendo Switch instead or something

That said it was probably silly to go from no Echorec plugins to two Echorec plugins, prooobably could have got the job done with one, but in both cases there was an attractive value add offer with a plugin I really wanted too and neither price was over $30 so it's gonna be OK. Wish I could get a plugin with the overall sound character and saturation of the Pulsar Echorec but the individual head control and smeary repeat quality of the T7E!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 22, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it’s by no means a bad plugin but i bought izotope breaktweaker like 5 years ago and i’ve used it in three songs since. just one of those things where for me the amount of effort i put in is less than what i get out of it

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone have XO and tried it? I helped someone find Andrew Huang's video on it earlier in this thread, but I've never tried it myself.
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/xo

It's come back on my radar because someone in a Discord I'm in worked on it, so I was thinking of getting it for myself this xmas. Something that helps me use all the one shots and poo poo I've accrued over the years is tempting.

edit: Forgot I had seen this plugin earlier, in this very thread even, so reworded.

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 22, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tbh the only plug-in i've bought that has been actually worth it is serum. even the sound toys stuff, i play with it and it's fun but i hardly ever actually use it except to say i used it

oh guitar rig too but i mostly use it stand alone playing, not for recording my guitar

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

odiv posted:

Anyone have XO and tried it? I helped someone find Andrew Huang's video on it earlier in this thread, but I've never tried it myself.

It's come back on my radar because someone in a Discord I'm in worked on it, so I was thinking of getting it for myself this xmas. Something that helps me use all the one shots and poo poo I've accrued over the years is tempting.

edit: Forgot I had seen this plugin earlier, in this very thread even, so reworded.

You might not have a friend who worked on it, but there's another program called Atlas that's also on sale right now that does similar stuff and gets some rave reviews. Would give you less crossgrades etc to other stuff if that's something you care about, but you might end up liking it more, who knows.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Cool, I'll check that out too. I don't even know this guy, he was just proud of it and mentioned he worked on it recently. I've got some time, so I'll check out all my options before spending even more money on plugins, thanks for the information.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

audiodeluxe.com has a shitload of stuff for their BF sale, I picked up two Tokyo Dawn plugins I was missing for $20 total and the freebie for this sale is a Melda EQ which ain't bad either.

In other news, scuttlebutt is IK Multimedia might be up for sale & currently there's a bit of a tug of war between two VCs to invest, on rumor / unid'd sources anyway. This kind of blows my mind, I've loved IK software since the 2000s and hadn't heard anything about it. Amplitube has long been my go-to guitar amp modeler, and recently I've added a ton more IK stuff to my workflow thanks to the 25th anniversary Group Buy. I hope if it is for sale that it all goes well and they keep making good products with good support!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 22, 2021

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

watho posted:

it’s by no means a bad plugin but i bought izotope breaktweaker like 5 years ago and i’ve used it in three songs since. just one of those things where for me the amount of effort i put in is less than what i get out of it

Same as hell. I love the idea of Breaktweaker, but any time I need an effect like that I end up turning to Effectrix, Turnado, Shaperbox, etc. I think Breaktweaker is more powerful than any of them, but the interface is just so daunting and impenetrable that my creative juices just evaporate immediately the second I open it up. It's like a cat barfing on the rug when you're in the middle of foreplay, just "welp that's ruined, let's see what's on TV" kind of energy.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

odiv posted:

I have it, and mostly got it because it uses a bunch of cool infoviz methods that I recognise from my day job. It's possibly worth it just as a way of organising your percussion sample library. And it's not bad as a drum sampler -- you can cut off tails, set filters, set some basic effects, all on a single page. The drum machine part of it is fun and has some cool ideas (e.g. waveform emphasis patterns), but is pretty limited. There are only two patterns, and the grid is locked to 16 beats, so you can't do polyrhythm, and you can't make more than the most boring song with it.

That said, it's not too hard to make a pattern, export it to a MIDI track in your DAW, then use that MIDI track to drive XO as a "dumb" drum sampler. Then you can also fiddle around with polyrhythm etc. The routing itself is pretty good, with every sample having its own midi in / stereo out, or you can send MIDI to the whole thing.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Max/MSP rarely goes on sale, but is 25% off through November 29th.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 26, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Picked up the drums/2 expansions from this sale here: https://stevenslatedrums.com/
Not super familiar with the product but the demo was nice and they sound a lot punchier than the kits I've cobbled together over the years.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
speaking of drums, when you are programming your drum track, is there a certain program you can do that in to construct the midi that makes it easier, or is the main thing people do just use the piano roll in the DAW? All the keys and trying to remember which key is which piece of kit is slow going the little I've messed with it so far. Either a plug in or separate program to streamline it a bit and make it a bit cleaner/easier visually would be excellent. There might even be a drum kit view in reaper I might not know about. But I know so little I could use suggestions on the easiest way to go about it anyway. I have easy drummer 2, but afaik you can only take it's premade bits and also cut and edit them a bit, but there's no way to just straight up fill in the midi piece by piece unless I'm mistaken.

Something along these lines looks like it would be easier.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

speaking of drums, when you are programming your drum track, is there a certain program you can do that in to construct the midi that makes it easier, or is the main thing people do just use the piano roll in the DAW? All the keys and trying to remember which key is which piece of kit is slow going the little I've messed with it so far. Either a plug in or separate program to streamline it a bit and make it a bit cleaner/easier visually would be excellent. There might even be a drum kit view in reaper I might not know about. But I know so little I could use suggestions on the easiest way to go about it anyway. I have easy drummer 2, but afaik you can only take it's premade bits and also cut and edit them a bit, but there's no way to just straight up fill in the midi piece by piece unless I'm mistaken.

FL studio has FPC which is a really simple midi pad vst
I'm seeing folks recommend this which is a similar but much more powerful version of the same idea, might not be the best but it should be a jumping off point to get you things to compare it with
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/drums/battery-4/

e: also found this which is free
https://www.powerdrumkit.com/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Reaper's midi editor does have a drum view, yeah.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Reaper's midi editor does have a drum view, yeah.

Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

IIRC, you can have EZDrummer 2 spit out the MIDI for the current track you're working on, which you can then edit via piano roll (or one of these other tools mentioned that is driven by MIDI). So you could still make use of EZDrummer as a seed or starting point or your drum programming (and then you can feed that MIDI back into EZDrummer if you still want to make use of the EZDrummer kits or variation features).

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
While we are talking about it, do you guys find the EZ drummer samples to be pretty good for mixes or do you usually go with other stuff? I have the base EZ drummer and the Dark Matter expansion.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 27, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Speaking of programming drums, my favourite piece of gear is and will likely always be my Korg Padkontrol. Holy poo poo it's just so wonderful. Granted, I've played percussion for a few years, so I'm no stranger to rhythm and drumming, but still, I highly recommend picking one up. Or M-Audio's Trigger Finger, as I've heard it's similar.

Or as a cheaper or more financially smart option, the next time you're in the market for a MIDI keyboard, get one with assignable drum pads. So useful!

The latest thing I really used my Padkontrol for was my Awful Xmas submission last year.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is it worth learning finger drumming? I have an MPK mini with 8 pads but I always just draw my drums in

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

prom candy posted:

Is it worth learning finger drumming? I have an MPK mini with 8 pads but I always just draw my drums in

I'd say yes, but I also love finger drumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_BZOQ5KrI

David Haynes is my finger drumming idol.

I mean, just look and listen :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIpbALWpCxo

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 27, 2021

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
My go to when programming drums is to do it in Hydrogen, then export them into a midi file and transpose them in Reaper to match up with whichever drum plugin in using. It's a little roundabout, but I haven't found a Reaper compatible midi editor that allows me to build and place patterns and only a handful of drum plugins that allow it, and that's the fastest way for me to program a song

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Wow, god drat that is some good finger drumming

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i honestly checkerboard most of my drums. i will occasionally use slicex to chop breaks in midi but idk. even in use cases where doing everything in midi would save me a lot of effort in the long run i still just work better with audio than midi.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Ever since I got a beat step pro I just sequence all my drums

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a BSP recently (thanks petit choux!) and now all I need are some MIDI cables and I will actually have a use for my tiny synths. :v:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

I got a BSP recently (thanks petit choux!) and now all I need are some MIDI cables and I will actually have a use for my tiny synths. :v:
Since I had to sell my nice BSP (thx polly), I'm about to try sequencing drums by way of an arpeggiator. That's one of the things I'm excited about. I'm crazy for arps RN.

RN controlling a worn-out Roland XP-10 with this MIDI theremin, which has a decent 1-7-step arpeggiator on board. That goes into REAPER, and into Izotope Mobius filter and Jack Dark's Shattershot, MDA ring mod, Smartelectronix' Supaphaser -- not all at once. How's that for a blast from the past.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bluelab are calling it quits and have put up every plugin for free until you the website shuts down.

I checked the WHOIS info for the domain name, and it looks like it's set to expire in May 2022, so DEFINITELY get in on this before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So here's a workflow I'd never thought of before and just tried to interesting results: sometimes I've got a melody in my head but my dumb meat fingers can't get it out fast enough in time before it's mutated and gone off into the netherworld of thought.
So I thought "well I'll sketch that out by just humming it, at least then I can go through and kinda pick out the notes later" but apparently computers are smarter than me now and I read some folks just slap their vocal tracks into something like Newtone in FL Studio and that gives you the exact midi equivalent of your singing that you can slap into another instrument

So my long time dream of being able to compose by lala-ing and humming has been a reality for ages and I never knew.