Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If anything, the USAF has the dumbest sword fetish possible; giant anime swords that officers order their subordinates to "award" them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm convinced the Order of the Sword is a giant troll, giving someone something that they can never get rid of that has to travel with them on every move because it'll be some grievous slight if they ever pitch it in the trash. And when a recipient dies, it's the troll that keeps on giving when the person it's willed to finds out it's effectively worthless (yet shiny) scrap metal.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Maybe someone finally figured a way to get rid of his pile of stupid pot metal anime swords, and thus the ginsu missile was created.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Memento posted:

If anything, the USAF has the dumbest sword fetish possible; giant anime swords that officers order their subordinates to "award" them.

Pictured: a goon’s uncle

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Memento posted:

I think that's a German.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah at least the Army and Marine swords are like actual types of swords used in history.

The Air Force one looks like it’s made of styrofoam and from a boss fight in a Japanese video game

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah at least the Army and Marine swords are like actual types of swords used in history.

The Air Force one looks like it’s made of styrofoam and from a boss fight in a Japanese video game

The actual Air Force sword is the same as the Army's (and is only used for honor guard stuff). This Order of the Sword nonsense is just a general officer wank fest. They're all different as far as I can tell.

Edit: I forgot the AF uses two swords for honor guards...the enlisted sword is the same pattern as the Academy's, officers (if there is one) use the Army pattern saber.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The German air force had that whole "knights of the sky" thing back in the day, so being big-time into swords would make plenty of sense.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Was that before or after they had that "blown out of the sky" thing happening to them?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My commissioning certificate is still in the envelope it came in, but coins are my guilty pleasure. Maybe because I really liked pogs back in the 90s. Even then I limit myself to things I've done/places I've been so everything fits in a small ziploc, and my family knows they mean nothing and can be shitcanned without guilt should someone DUI into me i the BX parking lot.

Couldn't imagine having a sea can full of buster swords though lol.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

See also: http://icbm-game.com/

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The German air force had that whole "knights of the sky" thing back in the day, so being big-time into swords would make plenty of sense.

At least they had the excuse in World War One that quite a few of their pilots were literal knights, what with Germany having a Kaiser and all.

What's truly surprising is that the Royal Air Force doesn't go for this sort of bullshit since, again, some of their brass are literally knights of the realm with names and ranks like Air Chief Marshal Sir John Snidely Swing-Wing, OBE, DFC, DSO and Bar.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 22, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I was having a conversation this morning about the shady poo poo they sell at gas stations. Like spice and uppers and poo poo.

When I got to my first army unit, we were told about places that are blacklisted (i.e. soldiers are not allowed to go to these places). Several gas stations were banned because they sold spice (and probably other poo poo but spice is the big one the army didn’t like).

My unit handed us a list of places that were blacklisted, with explanations why these places were blacklisted.

I don’t know the solution to the problem the army was trying to solve with this one, but giving dumbass 18-22 year old enlisteds a loving treasure map might be the most counterintuitive thing I’ve ever witnessed.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
My whole time at Nellis for all of the sketchy as gently caress places you could find in Las Vegas the only place I remember getting officially blacklisted was a gas station up the street that was selling spice. The owner got interviewed by the news and when asked if he would stop selling spice to get off the blacklist he said he didn’t care and that this was America and to make your own decisions.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Wrong Theory posted:

There was the GREM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UGZGFh7SyU

Yoooo, why that grenade got a titty. I guess it could keep you company on fire guard.

The what now?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Cenen posted:

My whole time at Nellis for all of the sketchy as gently caress places you could find in Las Vegas the only place I remember getting officially blacklisted was a gas station up the street that was selling spice. The owner got interviewed by the news and when asked if he would stop selling spice to get off the blacklist he said he didn’t care and that this was America and to make your own decisions.

Was the owner Hunter S Thompson?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

What is spice?

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What is spice?

From what I recall, synthetic weed

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What is spice?

It's what makes Arrakis worth anything.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cenen posted:

Found the interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTr60WYjNM4

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It was big 2010-ish, iirc. I think the dosing was off, so you could get nothing out of it or be higher than Snoop himself, and there was no real way to tell the good stuff*

*this might be what the army was trying to tell us to scare us off of it, idk how true it ever was.

I remember presentations to us on what to look for, brands, etc. my dudes, you’re literally telling us how to look for drugs that can gently caress you up and not show up on a screen (back then) 😂

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Spice had different potencies because it wasn't the same active ingredients; some of it was loving salvia.

I always told my dudes the truth about drugs and that was it's easy to not get busted by not doing them, but google exists and they're loving adults.

I urged them to come to me if they felt stuck I'm not gonna narc about a drug related issue, but specifically warned not to expect any help just cus they couldn't time it out and it's test day.

E: if you've encountered a drug and you want to understand it's effects and real dangers, these videos may help:
https://youtube.com/c/Drugslab

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 22, 2021

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Salvia seems unlikely. IIRC it's not the easiest thing to smoke, it takes effort to cultivate (so it's probably more expensive than spraying bulk chemicals on random plant matter), and you'll trip balls if that's actually what you got.

The issue with synthetic cannabinoids is that most are full agonists, whereas THC is a partial agonist. It has less effect on the target receptors and sorta works against itself after a point. Full agonists activate the receptor, well, fully, and the upshot is that you get really high on synthetic cannabinoids in an unpleasant way (ALL THE PARANOIA WOOOOO). Combined with poor quality control on both the vendor (the random leaf matter they spray it onto isn't getting a homogenized dose at all) and their suppliers (random Chinese labs are probably going to deliver what you ordered, but not to pharmaceutical specifications--you'll probably get some free industrial solvent residue in the mix too) and you get all sorts of fun results.

The unpleasantness of full cannabinoid agonists made them a candidate for chemical warfare applications at one point, which I find amusing in light of their modern use.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It didn't really get purged from the culture until the F-104 pilots got carried away and kept trying to joust with the earth itself

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Navy was in full on panic mode about spice in '10 when I joined, I went to multiple trainings and signed a bunch of page 13's about it.

If I had any desire to try it myself, that dissapeared after multiple instances in Nuke School of dudes smoking it and tripping the gently caress out, to the point where the people they were with called an ambulance for them (then got masted for "allowing" a shipmate to smoke it lol)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
that reminds me of this gem of a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlaHwnErBI

ah yes, dumping out half my 250g order of generic powder straight onto my desk, making a giant line that i only snort half of, and stealing a single fry before i punch out my date at the bowling alley, all set to the hottest budget skrillex tunes. the bath salts experience

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aren't you supposed to eat someone's face as well?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shame on an IGA posted:

It didn't really get purged from the culture until the F-104 pilots got carried away and kept trying to joust with the earth itself

The original lawn darts.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

The unpleasantness of full cannabinoid agonists made them a candidate for chemical warfare applications at one point, which I find amusing in light of their modern use.

I mean it’s been a thing for use hyper potent opiates offensively so it’s not like they were wrong. Probably slightly less dangerous even.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

shame on an IGA posted:

I laughed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

First day of A school in 2015 and I got lectured on the dangers of making and using jenkum.

I had to excuse myself from the room saying I had to poo poo.

lol

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

shame on an IGA posted:

Oof

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
found the nerds who looked at cool planes and poo poo.

I learned about the f-104 from my Aircraft of the World cards and how it loving wrecked the world's fastest bomber, the XB-70 Valkyrie.

:spergin:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 23, 2021

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yooooo i had those. I think i still have them somewhere!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!
Desert Storm trading cards were some really weird poo poo now that I think about it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

found the nerds who looked at cool planes and poo poo.

I learned about the f-104 from my Aircraft of the World cards and how it loving wrecked the world's fastest bomber, the XB-70 Valkyrie.

:spergin:

Holy poo poo until now i thought i was the only one who went headfirst into this early 2000s mail order subscription. I even got the binder thing you had to ask for (which was utter poo poo and quickly stopped closing fully so it would always lose cards on the floor)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

i know that is some crazy wide angle distortion but that ground shot is positively comical. what a derpy looking plane. it's like a triangle with a dong.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hey kid just look at these cool planes and get this watch, just like the pilots wear...

You ever watch war movies billy?

You ever seen a grown man naked?

Enlist today!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i know that is some crazy wide angle distortion but that ground shot is positively comical. what a derpy looking plane. it's like a triangle with a dong.

It a fuselage and a poo poo load of engines seated on a wing that adjusted to the angle of it's hypersonic shock wave, if I understand the
design right.

quote:

According to NASA Armstrong Fact Sheet, which contains information about aircraft, flight tests and research projects, among others, “To achieve Mach 3 performance, the B-70 was designed to ‘ride’ its own shock wave, much as a surfer rides an ocean wave.

The resulting shape used a delta wing on a slab-sided fuselage that contained the six jet engines that powered the aircraft. The outer wing panels were hinged. During take-off, landing, and subsonic flight, they remained in the horizontal position.”

“This feature increased the amount of lift produced, improving the lift-to-drag ratio. Once the aircraft was supersonic, the wing panels would be hinged downward. Changing the position of the wing panels reduced the drag caused by the wingtips interacted with the inlet shock wave.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Grem posted:

Desert Storm trading cards were some really weird poo poo now that I think about it.

What was crazy was there was at least 2 sets of trading cards by different companies.. not just one at the time.. Topps and... Top Deck?Pro something? Crazy times... remember all the wierd rear end t-shirts that were for sale around the build up to Desert Storm, just people cashing in on it.