Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My wife and I watched the first episode last night. She's never read any of the books, but I have. We had pretty similar takes:

• We were both asking when the big attack scene was going to be over
  • Found the shaky-cam a bit excessive
  • She thought the sets looked cheap, I thought they were ok
  • Everything seems really dim, even in sunlit scenes it feels like I'm wearing polarized glasses
  • She initially thought that Emond's Field was supposed to be a big bustling city, not an isolated backwater, based on the sheer number of extras in the first few external shots & the interior of the inn.

It's... fine. I think Perrin was the best-cast character; the dude just looks right for the role. Rand is too generic, and they did Mat dirty by turning him into an outright thief rather than just a mischievous kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My wife is a non-reader and she watched the first episode with me and some friends, and she said "I didn't not enjoy my time"

I got her to watch the 2nd episode last night and the ending had her doing the :aaaaa: face and she's stoked to watch the 3rd tonight.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'd imagine this series it's too familiar given how the setup to most people would appear taken from better-known works of fiction like Lord of the Rings.

The idyllic village, the wizard figure and the party of everyman heroes getting chased by an unstoppable dark rider villain.

Despite the similarity to Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time sets itself apart if you think of it more as a post-apocalyptic setting given how the last face-off against the big bad didn't
exactly turn out well for the good guys.

It's also not surprising that some of the earlier works of Jordan was doing writing set in the Conan Universe given how Wheel of Times had similar themes and often a focus on morally gray characters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/DanTheCelt/status/1462825740664254464?s=20

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a suggestion from someone with some kind of authority. Could just be review authority like D
Sanderson or could be Bezos going "hey, you need to figure out a way to do product placement for Alexas in this or your funding is cut off". So someone has to review them all.

Sounds like this show is gonna be ruined by corporate mismanagement. Hope I am wrong.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

How sad is it to blow like 11 million dollars on an episode, only to make it completely unwatchable due to shaky cam. This has literally the quality of a mid-semester project - and not a good one - at college.

I guess if they fire the directors and release a new cut of this, I might finish more than 30 minutes. Right now, the whole production is so amateurish it is frankly insulting.

Burns
May 10, 2008

etalian posted:

I'd imagine this series it's too familiar given how the setup to most people would appear taken from better-known works of fiction like Lord of the Rings.

The idyllic village, the wizard figure and the party of everyman heroes getting chased by an unstoppable dark rider villain.

My recollection from something i read years ago is that Jordan totally intended the similarity to Lotr. His was the idea to start somewhere familiar for readers, and then take them somewhere new or different.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sounds like this show is gonna be ruined by corporate mismanagement. Hope I am wrong.

I’d not mind one bit seeming an episode where the tavaren are each put on performance improvement plans and Lan is replaced by a new CS graduate from Waterloo with zero prior warding experience.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

I’d not mind one bit seeming an episode where the tavaren are each put on performance improvement plans and Lan is replaced by a new CS graduate from Waterloo with zero prior warding experience.

Sounds like book 7-9

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

According to WoT Takes, current streaming algorithms demand thr first episode of any streaming show have an action sequence in the first two minutes, period.

they also said that 11k notes isn't actually that surprising for a project that takes this long and is this big

Haramstufe Rot posted:

I guess if they fire the directors and release a new cut of this, I might finish more than 30 minutes. Right now, the whole production is so amateurish it is frankly insulting.

glad you didn't waste too much time thanks for posting

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

the new recruit can brag how he also did night classes

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Also early on in the first episode- the city in that one establishing shot looked like abandoned modern skyscrapers covered with trees and vines?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Haramstufe Rot posted:

How sad is it to blow like 11 million dollars on an episode, only to make it completely unwatchable due to shaky cam. This has literally the quality of a mid-semester project - and not a good one - at college.

did you watch a copy that someone filmed off of their tv?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I get people not really liking shaky cam but it's been a popular technique for like 20 years at this point so you kind of have to accept it as a choice to express a certain tone. The camera also stops shaking as soon as Lan and Moraine show up so its use is very intentional to contrast the chaos of monsters attacking farmers and two people who have fought them before knowing how to fight/survive the melee.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Also early on in the first episode- the city in that one establishing shot looked like abandoned modern skyscrapers covered with trees and vines?

It certainly looks like it. You also see that aquaduct looking ruin too. It looks like there's a number of ruins of different ages.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
EDIT: Post contained book spoilers. Sorry for the wrong thread. Was not happy

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 22, 2021

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Kaza42 posted:

Watched the first two episodes last night. I can appreciate the changes to the pacing or story structure as part of the reality of show production. But they utterly ruined every single character we see on screen.

This is not a thread for book spoilers :ssh:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Edit: never mind, i'm not sure what I can safely put in spoiler tags or not.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jesus loving christ how hard is it for people to not just kramer into here and unload all of their personal baggage about 3 episodes which are literally a bare fraction of what will ultimately be made

there's a loving book thread where we also talk about it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You probably want to put (NO BOOK SPOILERS) or some such in the thread title

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I get people not really liking shaky cam but it's been a popular technique for like 20 years at this point so you kind of have to accept it as a choice to express a certain tone. The camera also stops shaking as soon as Lan and Moraine show up so its use is very intentional to contrast the chaos of monsters attacking farmers and two people who have fought them before knowing how to fight/survive the melee.

Also, like . . .one of the big things about Jordan's writing is that he writes combat in a disjoint, fractured, helter-skelter, first-person way. Shaky cam is really, really appropriate for reflecting the text.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
They definitely changed a lot of character attributes, backstory, and motivation- but I'm ok with that if the show characters end up being more interesting. I think show Perrin and show Mat have the potential to be more interesting than their book versions. Show Lan and show Moiraine on the other hand do seem far less impressive and larger-than-life like they appear in the novels. Moiraine's use of the one power aside, they seem pretty dull and wooden.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Agreed about Lan being far to underwhelming. Where is my Tom of Finland style 7 foot tower of engorged veins and beard hair that graced the book cover?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Also, like . . .one of the big things about Jordan's writing is that he writes combat in a disjoint, fractured, helter-skelter, first-person way. Shaky cam is really, really appropriate for reflecting the text.

Plus it's cheaper and easier. So win/win.

Well except for the viewer...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Furthermore, the shaky cam is mostly at the beginning when it's people panicking at a sudden monster attack. Once Moiraine and Lan show up he camera steadies out, representing who these two aren't panicking and know what to do in this situation.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

robot roll call posted:

did you watch a copy that someone filmed off of their tv?
There's been quite a lot of criticism of the production quality in reviews and online. Whether that criticism is objectively right or wrong is an open question of course. but you don't have to be watching some pirated crap quality version, to question some of the choices they've made. By all accounts an absolute shitton of cash went into making this, and plenty of people are saying it all looks cheaply made, un-lived-in, some of the prominent costumes are weird and/or out of place and/or just look stupid, there are problems with the cinematography/direction, etc. etc.
That isn't the end of the world, nor is it something for anyone to get upset about. People can and will still watch it even though it may not be perfect. I certainly intend to.

Rarity posted:

Yeah this might be a good idea, spoilers are still cropping up fairly regularly in here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

jesus loving christ how hard is it for people to not just kramer into here and unload all of their personal baggage about 3 episodes which are literally a bare fraction of what will ultimately be made

there's a loving book thread where we also talk about it

Every genre show thread is like this.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this show feels like they have an outline of events that need to happen from the books and just fill it with scenes of varying quality. so our fresh faced heroes face the horde of monsters and some kind of death moss and are just like whatever.

but at least they have the books so they know they'll have enough things to fill multiple seasons and at some point you'll get used to the characters and like them through the magic of television

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Rarity posted:

I PMed a tviv mod to change it so hopefully it will help.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I PMed a tviv mod to change it so hopefully it will help.

Hey at least no one's changing your av to reveal major spoilers :v:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Haramstufe Rot posted:

I thought it was very watchable and pretty intense. They did good work.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

How are u posted:

One thing I've heard is that there's a really big difference if you're watching on an OLED screen vs. watching on other screen types.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

How are u posted:

Yeah, I've seen worse shaky cam. Looking directly at Foundation...

It was enough that I noticed it, but not bad enough to piss me off or take me out of the scene.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Here's my trip report from the first 3 episodes. For reference I made it through many of the books but stopped reading sometime in the early-mid 2000's I think. Definitely didn't get as far as the Sanderson volumes. I've forgotten pretty much everything except the most basic premise of the story. My wife hasn't read them and in general the best I can hope for is "tolerates" high fantasy stuff.

Surprisingly we both liked WoT so far. I didn't have expectations that this would be the best show ever which has helped me looked past the flaws. So far I've generally been impressed with the production value. Even when the world doesn't seem quite as immersive or lived in as Game of Thrones or LoTR I can at least see what they were going for and it's not just the same 2 forests outside of Vancouver and the old set from MASH or whatever. The costumes are pretty good (my wife kept saying she wanted the sweaters in the two rivers town lol), although the super white cloaks on the Whitecloaks were a little much. We thought the special effects were generally nice and not emersion-breaking. The first battle felt visceral with Morraine's magic and the trollocs were mean and scary as they should be.

My least favorite part was the shadow city. Something about the accelerated pace of the show made it kind of jarring ok giant army almost catches up to them, and then rather than waiting it out, just totally disappears

So far we're lukewarm on the young actors.

Looking forward to Friday!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just finished episode 3. Haven't read the books, but I'm completely hooked. Love everything about this show so far. I have a lot of questions, but I think the show will maybe hopefully explain them all as it goes. If not, then I'll probably ask later so nothing is spoiled before it's time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Assuming it never gets cancelled - How many 8 episode seasons would it take to get the whole thing done? I've only read through the book that has wolves in snow on the cover, and so long ago I can't recall which one that was. It had just been published. I'm kind of doing a reread now in between other books, just started book 5.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

My least favorite part was the shadow city. Something about the accelerated pace of the show made it kind of jarring ok giant army almost catches up to them, and then rather than waiting it out, just totally disappears

I figured that once they went into the city, the Fade said "Welp. If you go into the city, it eats you. They went in, they got eaten, job's done, time to head home and get a drink (of fresh human blood).

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

zoux posted:

Assuming it never gets cancelled - How many 8 episode seasons would it take to get the whole thing done? I've only read through the book that has wolves in snow on the cover, and so long ago I can't recall which one that was. It had just been published. I'm kind of doing a reread now in between other books, just started book 5.

Showrunner said he's got it planned to fit in eight seasons, although I don't recall if the eight episodes had been determined at that point. Given how characterization is being accelerated I can definitely see them pulling it off. Curious if the show is going to do any time skips

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CainsDescendant posted:

Showrunner said he's got it planned to fit in eight seasons, although I don't recall if the eight episodes had been determined at that point. Given how characterization is being accelerated I can definitely see them pulling it off. Curious if the show is going to do any time skips

That's like 2 books per season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

I figured that once they went into the city, the Fade said "Welp. If you go into the city, it eats you. They went in, they got eaten, job's done, time to head home and get a drink (of fresh human blood).

In the books, what happens with the big army and Shadar Logoth is The fades and trollocs enter the shadow city and get promptly devoured by Mashadar (the bad stuff)

CainsDescendant posted:

His original pitch was eight ten-episode seasons with a two hour premiere.

Note that this season isn't just one book. It's mostly Eye of the World but it's also (New Spring prequel Novella) + (bits of the 2nd and 3rd book also)