Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Imagine ever thinking about math after leaving school.

That's why they invented calculators, man.

I have no idea what any math is and I don't intend to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imagine ever thinking about math after leaving school.

That's why they invented calculators, man.

I have no idea what any math is and I don't intend to find out.

Yeah when I was a kid the teachers would say "You need to learn this, you're not going to be carrying a calculator with you everywhere" but then science invented the digital calculator watch and I never looked back

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I still remember how to do a decent amount of trigonometry but couldn't do multiplication/division on paper to save my life.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah when I was a kid the teachers would say "You need to learn this, you're not going to be carrying a calculator with you everywhere" but then science invented the digital calculator watch and I never looked back

And we don't make fun of you behind your back to this very day

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every math class some fucker had to raise their hand and ask when they were gonna use this. Did they think they were going to cancel the class because it was useless?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I remember a single loving day in higher level maths (the kind where they teach you about calculus when you are 15) where I just... got it. I can't remember the exact topic, except that it was calculus, and for some bizarre reason, it made 100% sense to me. Just that one day - the calculus high-fliers literally asked me how I knew what was going on and I had no answers.
Never happened again, still a dumbo about maths stuff ever since,

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Weirdly enough I use stuff up through calculus pretty commonly in my work, except that because it relates to computers and real-world measurements it's more about approximations and big uncertainties, so in reality it's more like the vague idea of calculus. Like if you were teaching addition and "2+2=probably somewhere between 3 and 5" is your solution.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
Most mathematicians feel that mathematics is something worth doing chiefly for its own sake. We can do it, and it's pretty enjoyable (as evidenced by the folks playing with that arabic grid method; I'd love to see a proof of why that works sometime), so why not pursue it? That it happens to have applications outside of "why not?" is largely regarded as a bonus. Math class isn't (or at least, shouldn't be) chiefly concerned with teaching 100% useful skills, it's for introducing kids to concepts so the ones that end up really interested in it can pursue it as far as they care to.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Hygiene posted:

And we don't make fun of you behind your back to this very day

The Casio digital watch/calculator/TV&VCR remote control was the pinnacle of scientific achievement and no one will ever convince me otherwise :argh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Primary school math is an important prerequisite for home and job skills like budgeting or stock taking even if your calculator watch is doing the heavy lifting. Goal is to let you feel numbers instead of think about numbers.

Secondary school math is much more "this is a problem for you so solving it is going to teach you problem solving." If you're getting a little angry at it, its working.

Tertiary wraps back around to job skills again because there's no better way to learn how to feel numbers and logic than calculus and linear algebra.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Casio digital watch/calculator/TV&VCR remote control was the pinnacle of scientific achievement and no one will ever convince me otherwise :argh:

I wore a Casio calculator watch at work for a long time because it's a godsend when you're lying on the floor underneath a piece of machinery with almost no room to move and have to make a bunch of precise adjustments that require doing math. It lasted about 20 years on its original battery and I only quit wearing it because the strap finally broke.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

No it wasn't

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Okay you convinced me

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Kantesu posted:

Most mathematicians feel that mathematics is something worth doing chiefly for its own sake. We can do it, and it's pretty enjoyable (as evidenced by the folks playing with that arabic grid method; I'd love to see a proof of why that works sometime), so why not pursue it? That it happens to have applications outside of "why not?" is largely regarded as a bonus. Math class isn't (or at least, shouldn't be) chiefly concerned with teaching 100% useful skills, it's for introducing kids to concepts so the ones that end up really interested in it can pursue it as far as they care to.

Buddy. Friend. I did not suffer through 15 years of math class for the sake of some gently caress in every class who really liked math. Holding everyone else hostage for the delight of the math nerd is not a sane proposal. Good people hate math ipso facto

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

zedprime posted:

Tertiary wraps back around to job skills again because there's no better way to learn how to feel numbers and logic than calculus and linear algebra.

I'm a programmer for a living. I like logic and problem solving, and I'm pretty good at it, but I'm terrible at maths. At uni, I suffered and sweated through my maths units, studied and worked harder than I ever had in my life, and passed by the skin of my teeth. For the actual computer programming units, I barely studied and passed easily.

I haven't had to touch calculus since. Where I work, and where I worked before that, there are people whose job it is to do the maths stuff, who presumably really enjoy it. For me it's close to torture, always has been, and fortunately I don't have to do it at all.

Nothing about maths was easy for me except when I could relate it back to computing concepts, and for me the process of programming bears no resemblance to me trying to do maths.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oh God this reminded me. Along the same lines, I had to take a State employment exam to be a loving secretary. The exam page said there would be math on it and explicitly said calculators would not be allowed. I had to look up how to do loving long division and fractions before the test. And the math was piss easy. Basic arithmetic, adding decimals, a few fraction problems. I got them all right, but boy howdy it would have taken me a lot less time to do them if I could use a calculator.

And it was so stupid. Under what circumstances, actually doing that job, would I not have access to a calculator?!

Oh and I didn't get the job either. Dicks! :argh:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I dislike maths, except statistics for some reason. I think it's because it has practical implications + it's based on probability theory, so I'm always covered

Ah turns out the null hypothesis was undeniably correct after all, well the data for my study that claimed otherwise must just have been in the extreme tail end of the sampling distribution :smug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brawnfire posted:

Every math class some fucker had to raise their hand and ask when they were gonna use this. Did they think they were going to cancel the class because it was useless?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

loving Sieg-Heiling ginger kids in my math class

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Teaching dry abstract math is annoying

Because math can be applied is so many ways in a variety of situations in order to better understand that problem

(I recently used linear algebra to Work out some rope whipping lengths for some bars)

It's so applicable I can understand the desire to teach it all as x's and y's. But it frustrating that that seems to lock so many kids out of understanding

This was the dumb party trick math that was taught to me

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I will say, though, I think maths would be a lot easier (at least, I would have found it easier) if mathematicians would actually name their drat variables instead of using single letters!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I work in a 7th year special ed class regularly and we are doing exactly this :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Konec Hry posted:

Maybe it’s like, super-equals. Like the =-symbol signifies things being equal, and the ==-symbol signifies things being really equal.

that's why javascript has ===

== didn't equal enough

not a joke

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Carthag Tuek posted:

that's why javascript has ===

== didn't equal enough

not a joke

One of the many reasons nobody should every use JavaScript. The drat thing was practically designed on the back of an envelope the night before it was due.

https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

It's a shame it's indispensible for modern web sites.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Malt liquor is just stronger beer. A Colt 45 is just 5,6% alcohol, Steel Reserve is 8,1%. I was imagining something much more dramatic. (Googled it because of a Twitter thread just now.)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Malt Liquor just means that it’s alcohol taken from malted grain just like every other beer. It’s just processed wort but not distilled. Zima and seltzers (most of them) are ‘Malt Beverages’.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
In the song "Good Golly Miss Molly" I was always vaguely annoyed at the gross mispronunciation of "fine", more like "phone" in the line "You sure look fine".

So I looked it up today. That's not what it says at all.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I remember being very confused because malt liquor just isn't a thing here

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Opposite points on the Earth's surface are called antipodes because they come from the Greek words "anti" (opposite) and "podes" (feet), aka people whose feet are oriented on the opposite direction from ours. It's widely known that the ancient Greeks and Romans knew the planet was spherical, but the term "antipodes" also shows up on many medieval maps to denote some theoretical landmass below the equator, showing that this knowledge was not somehow "lost" during the Middle Ages either, as many people still believe.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Iirc they theorised that there must be land masses in the south purely to balance out the landmasses in the north.
People went looking for Terra Australis not because they had concrete knowledge of it ‘s existence or location even, but because it should exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Australis

So a continent that for Greeks, Romans and later Europeans had only existed as a theory actually turned out to be real after all.

Helith has a new favorite as of 10:55 on Nov 26, 2021

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Helith posted:

Iirc they theorised that there must be land masses in the south purely to balance out the landmasses in the north.
People went looking for Terra Australis not because they had concrete knowledge of it ‘s existence or location even, but because it should exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terra_Australis

So a continent that for Greeks, Romans and later Europeans had only existed as a theory actually turned out to be real after all.

I think more to the point they proved experimentally that the Earth had to be round, going so far as to calculate its circumference to a pretty decent level of accuracy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_circumference#Eratosthenes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There was also one lonely Greek who posited that the Earth revolved around the sun, but almost no one believed him

Here's to a real one, although I can't remember his name

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The thing I just figured out wasn't that ancient peoples knew the world was round, in case that wasn't clear. It was that the geographical concept of "antipodes" came from this creative and rather sophisticated classical understanding of the world.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

The thing I just figured out wasn't that ancient peoples knew the world was round, in case that wasn't clear. It was that the geographical concept of "antipodes" came from this creative and rather sophisticated classical understanding of the world.

Holy poo poo. The thing I've just realised, from your posts, is that it's the ancient version of the "they're upside down in China/Australia" meme!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Konec Hry posted:

Maybe it’s like, super-equals. Like the =-symbol signifies things being equal, and the ==-symbol signifies things being really equal.

Hyperlynx posted:

One of the many reasons nobody should every use JavaScript. The drat thing was practically designed on the back of an envelope the night before it was due.

https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat

It's a shame it's indispensible for modern web sites.

JavaScript is fine. Any language can be used poorly. All you have to do to avoid type coercion is … not do it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Dross posted:

JavaScript is fine. Any language can be used poorly. All you have to do to avoid type coercion is … not do it.

:rubby: tell me you only have to maintain your own code without telling me you only have to maintain your own code

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Carthag Tuek posted:

:rubby: tell me you only have to maintain your own code without telling me you only have to maintain your own code

Kinda feel like my point still stands here, I have seen quite a bit of really bad C#, Ruby, and Java in my tenure. But yes, I do currently have the privilege of working on a team that has a strict set of code review standards and a shared linter setup.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Columbus had a theory that the Earth was shaped like a titty.

I am not making this up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You mean earth is not shaped like a titty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

There was also one lonely Greek who posited that the Earth revolved around the sun, but almost no one believed him

Here's to a real one, although I can't remember his name

Truly he pondered the orb.