Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

zoux posted:

Assuming it never gets cancelled - How many 8 episode seasons would it take to get the whole thing done? I've only read through the book that has wolves in snow on the cover, and so long ago I can't recall which one that was. It had just been published. I'm kind of doing a reread now in between other books, just started book 5.

the series has countless identical characters who don't move the main plot ahead. and sidequests that take whole books. if all that gets cut it could be done in one 100 minute movie in david lynch dune style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

zoux posted:

That's like 2 books per season

Yeah but a lot of the middle books are probably going to be heavily condensed

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jng2058 posted:

I figured that once they went into the city, the Fade said "Welp. If you go into the city, it eats you. They went in, they got eaten, job's done, time to head home and get a drink (of fresh human blood).

I figure that due to the layout of the city that it generally doesn't matter. It's a large city surrounded by water along a significant portion, and so long as Moiraine and Lan left via a different direction than they entered, which I think it can be safely assumed other entrances and exits like that break in the wall exist (otherwise there's no point going in in the first place), then the Trolloc army may just not have had the time to go around and be at any other entrances/exits to meet them.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 22, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ChubbyChecker posted:

the series has countless identical characters who don't move the main plot ahead. and sidequests that take whole books. if all that gets cut it could be done in one 100 minute movie in david lynch dune style

"Who taught you to fit your cadinsor slip fashion"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cut out all the long rear end Shawn-Chan stuff and you can easily cut a season or two out of the shows planned plot line and also get to get rid of that whole bdsm damnae women in collars and cuffs which nobody needs to be reminded of the dregs of Jordan’s ideas in 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
In case anyone wants them in a more convenient (though less pretty) format, I threw the X-Ray trivia bits from the first 3 episodes into a pastebin. There's some pretty interesting world-building nuggets in there regarding Whitebridge, The Stone of Tear, The Breaking of the World, Saidin/Saidar etc. that the show probably just wasn't ever going to fit organically into dialogue, along with some stuff on smaller topics like Wisdoms, the different towns in the Two Rivers and so on.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 22, 2021

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I think that's a strong first 3 episode offering. Most of the changes are fine to me since they're all for defined character motivation/trait setting. which makes some of the internal monologue nature of the books not so much a thing here which is a good adaptation trick I think.

The pacing of the first 2 felt crazy fast and 3 was much slower so I'll be curious how much they actually get through in this first season. 8-9 seasons esp if they get a bit more of an episode or run time addition should be possible.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

They had the LTT scene as a bonus in episode 1 though.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it'll be brought up in the show, but that exposition would've given the world more character in episode 1. Shame to hide it in bonus content.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ChubbyChecker posted:

Toto soundtrack, gently caress yes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

shadow puppet of a posted:

Cut out all the long rear end

Nah all of that stuff is super cool and interesting. But you should come talk about it in the spoilers thread.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

zoux posted:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Cut out all the long rear end Shawn-Chan stuff and you can easily cut a season or two out of the shows planned plot line and also get to get rid of that whole bdsm damnae women in collars and cuffs which nobody needs to be reminded of the dregs of Jordan’s ideas in 2021

well, they have already removed the taint, so the rest of the rear end will probably follow

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

this is a top shelf post

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a question for non book readers: do you have an inkling of which character is the Dragon Reborn (answers in spoilers natch)

For readers: you think they got the nerve to change it

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 22, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Show makes me kinda wanna read the books.

Then again... :yikes:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Show makes me kinda wanna read the books.

Then again... :yikes:

probably not good to go off the intentionally twisted and half-remembered posting of someone who says they hate the series

zoux posted:

no, there's literally no scenario where that would work and i don't know why people think they would

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I hate to keep beating this horse but maybe simply "no spoilers" in the thread title here instead of "no book spoilers" because the book barn thread starts off with "book spoilers", so having 2 threads contain the words "book spoilers" in the title probably isn't going to help clarify things as well as we'd lke

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

zoux posted:

Here's a question for non book readers: do you have an inkling of which character is the Dragon Reborn (answers in spoilers natch)

I think changing it would turn off a significant proportion of book readers, despite most of the already-seen changes being fine.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One thing I've heard is that there's a really big difference if you're watching on an OLED screen vs. watching on other screen types.

I've heard turning off motion blur does wonders as well if you have a high end TV and think it looks like poo poo

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hexel posted:

I've heard turning off motion blur does wonders as well if you have a high end TV and think it looks like poo poo

Also "motion smoothing" or other versions of that "240hz true motion/motion interpolation" thing that a ton of TVs have on by default.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am becoming more and more convinced that I am going to have my 32" dumb TV from 2010 for the rest of my life. It doesn't have banner ads, never requires software updates, and it doesn't do anything except except adjust brightness/contrast on the picture that comes in through whatever wire I tell it to.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tragically I'm traveling for Thanksgiving so my options are... Either watch on my POS 1366x768 laptop, or wait until I get home for my 1440p monitor :ohdear:

probably just gonna watch on this lovely laptop screen

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
More to explore on the show website:

https://twitter.com/brother_Buddha/status/1462881152331616259?s=20

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

CainsDescendant posted:

Yeah but a lot of the middle books are probably going to be heavily condensed

I think you could genuinely get Crossroads of Twilight done in a single episode.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

withak posted:

I am becoming more and more convinced that I am going to have my 32" dumb TV from 2010 for the rest of my life. It doesn't have banner ads, never requires software updates, and it doesn't do anything except except adjust brightness/contrast on the picture that comes in through whatever wire I tell it to.

I had fifteen people over to my house to watch this show last Friday night on my new LG c1 48" OLED monitor/tv.

Ten minutes before showtime the screen went DEAD. No signal from the computer. I turned everything on and off again several times with no luck.

Everyone staring at me while i'm rear end-up bent over the power cables trying to check all the connections for ten minutes

With like a minute to go I figured out the issue was that the receiver I had the signal routed through had gotten bumped and changed a setting.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Has anyone seen any early visible anger from the GoT show fan collective? That is my biggest hope for TVWoT. That improves over time and is competently showrun to a satisfying finale. Would be real nice to see those people go berserk once more over what could have been and what they got instead. Would be doubly good if they could cast Mark Addy into some scene stealing role later down the line.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Has anyone seen any early visible anger from the GoT show fan collective? That is my biggest hope for TVWoT. That improves over time and is competently showrun to a satisfying finale. Would be real nice to see those people go berserk once more over what could have been and what they got instead. Would be doubly good if they could cast Mark Addy into some scene stealing role later down the line.

So far just a lot of critics going "this is no Game of Thrones"

and well this guy i posted earlier

https://twitter.com/Julian_BGPB/status/1462765277284814849?s=20

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I’d much rather this show be punctuated by constant unexpected scenes of Lan letting his Malkier Flagstaff fly two feet from everyone’s face like he did in the not quite hot tub scene than having anymore more needless rote boob scenes.

He totally could have canted his hips the other direction going in but relished the moment instead going right over left.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

GoT fans are either fantasy nerds who dig WoT as well or normies who don't give a poo poo about fantasy otherwise so don't even have the show on their radar

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I don't think there's anything to really engender rage from thrones fans (Any that will admit to being such, if there are any left....) but especially not because Wheel of Time doesn't really get exceptionally good until like book 4/5/6 and then the ending from 12 onwards. So, basically, the exact opposite of Thrones, which started out fantastically, but ended in, well, lol.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

https://old.reddit.com/r/whitecloaks/comments/qy7vcs/i_look_forward_to_this_sub_becoming_the_new/

They're out there

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 3 was losing me in the first half. Kind of boring, and I do NOT like Mat making comments like 'you're funny now? that's a new wrinkle' to Rand's little joke. Just put the joke in the script and leave it loving uncommented on you hacks. He's done this several times now as the designated Marvel character and I want it to end.

Then the barmaid was revealed as evil and it kind of saved it, because I didn't see it coming. Actually thought she was about to become a main character and join them so that was a decent misdirect.

Perrin and Egwene's sidestory was boring, and I don't like the traveller group they've ended up with so far, so hopefully that ends soon.

Rand, Moraine and Lan (len? the warder) are my three favourites so far and this episode was light on them in favour of the ones I don't like as much.

It picked up though. Even if the writing does sag and do things I don't like at times, the plot is moving along nicely. Looking forward to the next ep.

zoux posted:

Right now I think it's either Rand - because he's the most focused character and seemed to show super strength in this episode - or Perrin, because Perrin seems like the least likely. I don't think it's Egwene because she's got other paths, and I don't think it's Mat because he's neither the least or most likely. I think Rand's the best actor/character of the four so far, so I'm also just kind of hoping it's him. I also think since in this world magic is women only, it won't be a woman.

That barmaid said she saw the five of them, though, so maybe it's Nyaneve or something.

Really, though, I'm not thinking about that too much. When the characters start talking about the dragon reborn or the dark one I just think, you really couldn't have come up with some better names for this bullshit?

roomtone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 22, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a lot of alternate and more interesting names and titles for characters and whatnot that haven't really been touched on yet because they're not relevant at the moment, they're pretty much just using the most basic things as they ease you into it. the series started in 1990 and has a whole unturned heap of background lore the show hasn't touched on as of this moment so mostly i would just say to give it time on that front.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

roomtone posted:

Really, though, I'm not thinking about that too much. When the characters start talking about the dragon reborn or the dark one I just think, you really couldn't have come up with some better names for this bullshit?

"The Dark One" is people speaking about a Satanic figure in generic terms; there are actual names for it that haven't come up as of yet. Dragon or Dragon Reborn is a generic name, but it's the kind of generic name people do use and not something cliche to the character or what they actual do or are within the story either. It's also just one name people have for the figure in that particular geographical area and culture. There are plenty of others that are more fantastical later on as the scope of things expand.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 23, 2021

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that's fine i'm just saying they're very generic names to be using so often in the early going. GOT rambled about dragons constantly, skyrim, blah blah - i'm sick to death of the word dragon! the dark one is the name of a ps1 rpg villain.

if it's baked into the books that they use these words instead of alternative names which they all get at some point, then that's a shame. the dialogue is struggling to mix naturalistic and prose styles already, then you throw these goofball names and it stops feeling real to me.

it's not a huge deal, really. they're just names. i just feel like they aren't putting their best foot forward by having the lore be so generic on the surface, when i can already tell the lore of the world isn't going to be generic based on the various ruins and the shadow city which was very cool.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

roomtone posted:

. When the characters start talking about the dragon reborn or the dark one I just think, you really couldn't have come up with some better names for this bullshit?

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's a lot of alternate and more interesting names and titles for characters and whatnot that haven't really been touched on yet because they're not relevant at the moment, they're pretty much just using the most basic things as they ease you into it. the series started in 1990 and has a whole unturned heap of background lore the show hasn't touched on as of this moment so mostly i would just say to give it time on that front.

Past that though ---

End of the day this was written in 1988/89 and it's gonna be cheesy sometimes and it's not gonna apologize for that. Like, that's what this is. Embrace it.

https://twitter.com/emmacarstairsgf/status/1461734968632262658?s=20

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
This is a spoiler question I guess, but will we get to see a make channeler at some point? I'm curious to see if that looks different from what we saw earlier.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's primarily just that there's a lot of context based on geographical region, time periods and cultures, and we've only been exposed to what is basically Backwoods, Nowhere in regards to everywhere else, so the terms they use for things aren't universal and specifically something like 'the dark one' is probably most akin to people trying not to draw the attention of fantasy satan by saying anything more detailed. but yeah it's also kind of an old series in the grand scheme of things so a lot of this stuff wasn't like as stretched out as it is now. for reference, the first game of thrones book didn't even come out until 6 years after the first wheel of time book did.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

This is a spoiler question I guess, but will we get to see a make channeler at some point? I'm curious to see if that looks different from what we saw earlier.

it's not much of a spoiler to say this, but yeah, you're going to get opportunities to see men channeling. the magic is pretty deeply ingrained in the setting so you'll absolutely get your fill in all forms.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

roomtone posted:

it's not a huge deal, really. they're just names. i just feel like they aren't putting their best foot forward by having the lore be so generic on the surface, when i can already tell the lore of the world isn't going to be generic based on the various ruins and the shadow city which was very cool.

Well, keep in mind it was originally written to have a fairly generic start to draw in audiences with something familiar. It feels rote, because it's intentionally aping Lord of the Rings for the first book. It starts to form its own identity after that, but the start is going to have to deal with how Jordan wrote it, for better or worse

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You see one caught at the end of the third episode, so yes.